Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Arsenal 1-1 Liverpool (5-4 on pens): In game and Post Match

Read 19392 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Arsenal 1-1 Liverpool (5-4 on pens): In game and Post Match
      Aug 26, 2020 08:18:27 pm
      A win would be our Sweet 16 for FA Community (Charity) Shields. It's not on the trophy wall at Melwood but it would be nice to lift it this Saturday.

On the other hand, it will be a full two weeks after this match before our league season begins and I'm pretty sure Klopp and team are pacing the preseason regimen with that date in mind. The team will certainly go all out to win, but the substitution pattern will look more like a friendly (with I'm guessing some restrictions - we made 5 changes during last year's match).

Guessing we will go with:

Alisson
      Williams, Virgil, Gomez, Robertson
      Fabinho, Gini, Keita
      Salah, Firmino, Mane

Subs: Adrian, Tsmikas, Hoever, Milner, Jones, Minamino, Brewster

Milner made a big difference the other day and it may be that Jürgen opts to have him start at right back instead of Neco, or instead of one of the listed midfielders.
      « Last Edit: Aug 29, 2020 06:37:37 pm by JD »
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,084 posts | 966 
      Re: Liverpool v Arsenal - FA Community Shield - Saturday Aug. 29 - 1630 GMT
      Reply #1: Aug 26, 2020 08:36:47 pm
      I somehow thought this was Sunday, quite how I don’t know, but I now have to rearrange having family down for a meal. I blame my Covid brain! A win is all I want.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #2: Aug 26, 2020 09:25:00 pm
      I have a feeling, we'll be in that zingy blue kit.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #3: Aug 26, 2020 09:33:10 pm
      What's the deal with Trent? Not been following our pre-season much but I've seen he's in the England squad but not played for us yet?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4: Aug 26, 2020 09:37:48 pm
      What's the deal with Trent? Not been following our pre-season much but I've seen he's in the England squad but not played for us yet?

Had a minor injury.

In terms of this game though, although it’s not particularly anything to rave about in terms of silverware, it’s been quite a while (14 years?) since we last won it so it would be good to put right last years result vs City. Plus I think it would set us up nicely going into the game against Leeds.

Win, clean sheet and a good performance.

We completely battered Arsenal in the final run in of the season and somehow ended up losing...in fact it was Virgil and Alisson errors that cost us that game so time to make amends for that. We also play Arsenal in the 2nd game of the season so a win this weekend would give us the mental edge going into that game IMO.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Arsenal vs Liverpool - FA Community Shield - Saturday Aug. 29 - 1630 GMT
      Reply #5: Aug 27, 2020 12:23:31 am
      I do expect we'll arrange some kind of friendly for the weekend between this game and the league opener, even though some of our players will be away on international duty.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #6: Aug 27, 2020 04:30:08 am
      Not that bothered about the charity Shield except looking forward to seeing the boys strutting their stuff again, it will of course be interesting to see who features and if that will have a bearing on who might start off the seasons opener with Leeds,

With Trent nursing his injury Neco will slot in nicely at RB, Minamino might be in there too but will more likely come off the bench, as too will Curtis, I fancy  Jürgen will field a side close to what he’ll want against Leeds so will probably have a familiar look about it, I’m guessing something like this................

.......                                    Alisson

Williams   Gomez   Virgil   Robertson

Fabinho
                                    Gini                     Keita

Salah.       Firmino.    Mane

Bench; Adrian, Tsimikas, Milner, Minamino, Jones, Hoever, Elliot, Brewster
                          Grujic, Souness, Kenny, some bloke called Gerrard, Rush, Dundee

This is the first of five Trophies we will be lifting this season said with a air of arrogance, it is only a charity affair so a nice wee aperitif to whetten the appetite before the main course starts two weeks up the pipe, our captain has been undergoing extra bench press work to help him with said Trophy lifts.

Result -  WHO - CARES

Y  N  W  A

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #7: Aug 27, 2020 07:40:07 am
      Think Milner will start at RB as mentioned.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #8: Aug 27, 2020 08:29:20 am
      Think Milner will start at RB as mentioned.

Agreed, Williams had a mare against Salzburg so I think we will go for Milner and his experience.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #9: Aug 27, 2020 09:05:25 am
      Enjoying being back involved in this the last couple of years. Felt as though we were playing in it every other season for a 5 or 6 year period when I was younger, then we had 13 or 14 years where I don't think we featured once.

Having a few drinks with my girlfriend & her family Saturday & they're all reds so I'm really looking forward to the game. If it's as good a quality match as last season's was then I'll be happy (with a slightly better result of course!)

Just hope we treat it with the same competitiveness as we did last season. Only slight worry is that both teams may see it as more of a friendly with it being behind closed doors, obviously you're going to be more inclined to get stuck in when there's 10s of 1000s of supporters who have traveled down to London & paid good money to watch you play - hopefully that won't be the case though!
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #10: Aug 27, 2020 11:35:23 am
      Enjoying being back involved in this the last couple of years. Felt as though we were playing in it every other season for a 5 or 6 year period when I was younger, then we had 13 or 14 years where I don't think we featured once.

Having a few drinks with my girlfriend & her family Saturday & they're all reds so I'm really looking forward to the game. If it's as good a quality match as last season's was then I'll be happy (with a slightly better result of course!)

Just hope we treat it with the same competitiveness as we did last season. Only slight worry is that both teams may see it as more of a friendly with it being behind closed doors, obviously you're going to be more inclined to get stuck in when there's 10s of 1000s of supporters who have traveled down to London & paid good money to watch you play - hopefully that won't be the case though!

It is a glorified friendly, and even more so this season, given its still ages away from league starting. ;D
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #11: Aug 27, 2020 11:43:06 am
      I have a feeling, we'll be in that zingy blue kit.

It’s not Blue. Liverpool don’t play in BS colours 😂

TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #12: Aug 27, 2020 12:00:03 pm
      It is a glorified friendly, and even more so this season, given its still ages away from league starting. ;D

Of course it is, but it certainly didn't feel like a glorified friendly last season
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #13: Aug 27, 2020 02:32:58 pm

Friendly, glorified friendly...testimonial.. .I don’t care what it is because if it’s against a rival from our league then I want to win it just as much as any other game against them.

People wrote last years game against City off as a glorified friendly but the way we approached that game and pushed to try and win it was a clear sign the team didn’t view it like that.

If we lose this game, it obviously doesn’t hurt anywhere near as much as a game in the actual season but I’m terms of winning, I want the win 100%
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #14: Aug 27, 2020 02:51:41 pm
      Just imagine how F***ing annoying these deluded arsenal fans will be if they win.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #15: Aug 27, 2020 04:04:40 pm
      Still can't quite get my head around this game being in a couple of days time.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #16: Aug 27, 2020 06:01:27 pm
      Just imagine how F***ing annoying these deluded arsenal fans will be if they win.

The cockneys need a twatting after our poor performance at their place.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #17: Aug 27, 2020 10:38:47 pm

That’s just it, we were poor but still completely battered them for the majority of the game. We should have slaughtered them 6,7-0 that day and I thought it was going to go that way when we took the lead but ended up losing. The fact it was through mistakes by Alisson and Virgil highlights what a strange match that was.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #18: Aug 28, 2020 02:39:42 am
      Friendly, glorified friendly...testimonial.. .I don’t care what it is because if it’s against a rival from our league then I want to win it just as much as any other game against them.

People wrote last years game against City off as a glorified friendly but the way we approached that game and pushed to try and win it was a clear sign the team didn’t view it like that.

If we lose this game, it obviously doesn’t hurt anywhere near as much as a game in the actual season but I’m terms of winning, I want the win 100%

Spot on!

Jordan even said it yesterday and Jürgen has as well, that it's a first chance of Silverware for the Season so they will be going out there trying to win it. They both want to make it a habit! I love that!!!
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #19: Aug 28, 2020 08:27:13 am
      Of course it is, but it certainly didn't feel like a glorified friendly last season

this is true.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #20: Aug 28, 2020 08:27:32 am

this is also true.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #21: Aug 28, 2020 08:28:21 am

good point, we do owe them a doing, and Im sure the players will be wanting to put that right.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #22: Aug 28, 2020 02:10:55 pm
      Whoever plays, they will give it what they've got to win, that should be guaranteed. Be a good way to start the season off.

Quick Reply