Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

When was the last time you genuinely got excited about the england team

Read 7486 times
      marcuk03
      • Forum Jason McAteer
      • Started Topic

• 139 posts | -2 
      When was the last time you genuinely got excited about the england team
      Nov 23, 2007 11:33:54 am
      ok guys so when was it ? (its LFC all the way for me)

wednesday night did not surprise me at all, i almost laughed in fact.

for the last 10 years now i have been watching / scrutinsing the circus that is the english FA.

Ive seen their many appointments, procedures on development, grass roots etc and then witnessed, as we all have, something resembling sunday league football by our so called 'superstars' of world football.

I enjoyed our systematic thumping of the germans in munich. (although they were poor at the time)

euro 96 had some great moments - 11 years ago now!

and world cup 90 wasnt bad either was it.

but since then ive seen england get outplayed on numerous occasions due to our technical inability to keep the ball.
      only to see us get lucky here and there, until we meet a half decent team, and then we prompty surrender and roll over...
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,035 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Re: When was the last time you genuinely got excited about the england team
      Reply #1: Nov 23, 2007 11:54:37 am
      What England needs is a Manager that is not scared to make technical decisions, a Manager that knows that it is not the size of the Names in the squad that guarantees a win but the quality of game they can bring, not the size of their wallets.
      marcuk03
      • Forum Jason McAteer
      • Started Topic

• 139 posts | -2 
      Reply #2: Nov 23, 2007 12:01:41 pm
      i think jose mourinho would be a great acquisition.
      as much as i hate the righteous c**t ,
      i think he would not stand for any sh*t and would kick these jumped up prima-donnas into shape.

but i think england as a nation has a long way to go before we see real talent being nurtured properly from youth academies and into prem teams and then into the national side.

we see one or two, but not enough..
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #3: Nov 23, 2007 12:52:04 pm
      I think id have to say the last time I got really excited about England would be the 5-1 game v Germany,that was mainly due to the fact all the goals were score by Liverpool players.
      marcuk03
      • Forum Jason McAteer
      • Started Topic

• 139 posts | -2 
      Reply #4: Nov 23, 2007 01:15:44 pm
      there was a time i wouldnt miss an england game for the world,

now id rather watch paint dry, fill out a tax return or my favourite - turn over & watch 'the open university' , episode 14 - the process of osmosis - classic stuff!

because the bottom line is, watching england is so annoying and mostly pretty dull.

the fact we are not not seeded for the world cup has just compounded the disaster !
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #5: Nov 23, 2007 04:36:35 pm
      Wednesday was quite exciting for me ;D
      marcuk03
      • Forum Jason McAteer
      • Started Topic

• 139 posts | -2 
      Reply #6: Nov 23, 2007 05:55:05 pm
      do you get excited easily nicola?

not always a bad thing  :D
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #7: Nov 23, 2007 06:37:40 pm
      wednesday night did not surprise me at all, I almost laughed in fact.

I actually did laugh.

Last time I got excited about England was probably when the Paddy Power website stopped working and I could bet on the result after the England game had actually finished.  Made about £300 that day thanks to my quick thinking.
      drawde
      • Forum David Johnson

• 234 posts | -1 
      • Adward
      Reply #8: Dec 01, 2007 04:47:19 pm
      I actually did laugh.

Last time I got excited about England was probably when the Paddy Power website stopped working and I could bet on the result after the England game had actually finished.  Made about £300 that day thanks to my quick thinking.

:lmao:
      Lucky sunuvaslut.
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #9: Dec 11, 2007 10:53:16 am
      England vs Russia that year.
      Even my mother said that it hadn't been necessary for England to go Russia. It was seen how better were England.
      She put  a bet on 100$ that England would win!

Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #10: Dec 11, 2007 11:53:26 am
      And I remember about 2002 in Japan vs Argentina!
      That time I felt for the first time the atmosphere of football!
      It was in my University in french room where students learn french and listen to french texts in very old earphones.
      The day before an exam. It was fine when all boys turned the volume of those earphones full aloud!I loved that atmosphere!
      I'm sorry to be ununderstandable!
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #11: Dec 14, 2007 08:52:29 am
      I think it was when we beat Spain 1 - 0 on 25th November 2007 but even more so when we beat Belarus 4 - 0 on 27th October 2007.
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #12: Dec 14, 2007 09:02:20 am
      I think it was when we beat Spain 1 - 0 on 25th November 2007 but even more so when we beat Belarus 4 - 0 on 27th October 2007.
      We are on about England in this forum, not, well I don't actually know a team that has done that?
      Ignore the above, I now know (s)he is on about the Womens team, but isn't this a mens team topic? ???
      « Last Edit: Dec 14, 2007 09:04:23 am by Finnan4eva »
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #13: Dec 14, 2007 12:54:05 pm
      We are on about England in this forum, not, well I don't actually know a team that has done that?
      Ignore the above, I now know (s)he is on about the Womens team, but isn't this a mens team topic? ???

The topic refers to getting excited about England.  Gender is not mentioned.

Twenty two women running about a football pitch will get me excited everytime. ;D

It was an attempt to bring a bit of humour into a dour discussion.  Obviously failed with you.

Probably failed with everyone.

I'm off to sulk. :f_wah:
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #14: Dec 14, 2007 01:09:09 pm
      The topic refers to getting excited about England.  Gender is not mentioned.

Twenty two women running about a football pitch will get me excited everytime. ;D

It was an attempt to bring a bit of humour into a dour discussion.  Obviously failed with you.

Probably failed with everyone.

I'm off to sulk. :f_wah:

Sorry, here you go: Hahahahahahahahah, funniest thing i ever heard ;D
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #15: Dec 14, 2007 05:04:58 pm

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
      At first I thought I'm going crazy.Before I have understood things.
      Sorry, I'm not interested very much in women's football.You opened my eyes.Now I'll know that in my native Belarus there is also a women's football team!
      But it was one Belarus won England (men's team!).Though it was England B.
      May be you remember that.
      Garry1603
      • Forum Youth Player

• 21 posts |
      Reply #16: Jan 01, 2008 10:53:52 am
      It would have to be the 5-1 against Germany. Trouble is it was 6 years ago now.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #17: Jan 02, 2008 07:41:11 am
      They were selling the England tops for a fiver in debenhams,tenner with player name on i got a GERRARD one well excited.
      southafrican_red
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 356 posts |
      • With hope in your heart...
      Reply #18: Jan 03, 2008 10:54:12 am
      When England (Michael Owen) lost on penalties to Argentina in the WC...I think you guys should've won that game.

I still think you would've made the final (Germany 06) if FRANK-footer wasn't given a better role than STEVIE.

Hopefully the rest will give the new coach enough time to prepare...and hope to see a strong England team here in South Africa for the 2010 WC.

There are ads on buses here that predict a SOUTH AFRICA vs ENGLAND SEMI in 2010...people say whoever did that was being too optimistic for England.  :lmao:
      « Last Edit: Jan 03, 2008 10:59:34 am by southafrican_red »
      LazyFingers
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 892 posts | 22 
      Reply #19: Jan 05, 2008 12:08:38 am
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXauYVy_dws
      One of the best goals England have ever scored? Listen, 30 seconds in! :D

Bleedin' Yanks!
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #20: Jan 05, 2008 12:39:12 am
      1966... and I wasn't even born!  :D

That 5-1 drubbing of the Germans at their place was good fun! I got so excited I nearly wet myself!  :D
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #21: Jan 24, 2008 07:22:19 pm
      I hope England will  make me get  excited when they come to Belarus.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #22: Jan 24, 2008 07:41:12 pm
      When...

Sorry never.

Quick Reply