Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Jürgen Klopp - LFC Manager - 2020/21 Edition

Read 14406 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Jürgen Klopp - LFC Manager - 2020/21 Edition
      Aug 29, 2020 06:13:39 am
      Klopp in Friday's presser gave a good summary on his philosophy of team chemistry and continuity being more valuable than frequent transfers in:

“If you make a lot of changes to a squad that is good – but more good in the long term than the short term because you need to get used to each other. It is not a big advantage, it is a little advantage, but we are used to each other. We know what we are doing in specific moments and we know we have to mix it up with a sensational attitude and a sensational desire within the game.”

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - LFC Manager - 2020/21 Edition
      Reply #1: Aug 30, 2020 01:21:51 am
      Klopp in Friday's presser gave a good summary on his philosophy of team chemistry and continuity being more valuable than frequent transfers in:

“If you make a lot of changes to a squad that is good – but more good in the long term than the short term because you need to get used to each other. It is not a big advantage, it is a little advantage, but we are used to each other. We know what we are doing in specific moments and we know we have to mix it up with a sensational attitude and a sensational desire within the game.”

That tells me no more incomings. We won't be signing anyone and we go again with what we have.

Frustrating but The Boss is Our Boss for a reason.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #2: Aug 31, 2020 07:49:54 pm
      That tells me no more incomings. We won't be signing anyone and we go again with what we have.

Frustrating but The Boss is Our Boss for a reason.

And we won all the MAJOR trophies over  last year for the same reason.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #3: Sep 07, 2020 02:56:54 pm
      And we won all the MAJOR trophies over  last year for the same reason.

Correct. I think people undervalue the benefit of continuity and keeping the core of the team consistent.

The team is basically at its prime right now and have a large squad as it is so unless someone leaves there’s no room to bring anyone in.

That will change in a couple of years as those “in their prime” players move to “after their prime” and the squad will require significant retooling. This will happen around the same time Klopp has indicated he will depart so it’s going to be interesting.
      ruthcity

• 6,868 posts | 1465 
      Reply #4: Sep 07, 2020 03:31:21 pm

Satirical warning. Don't read on if you hate it. It's your choice.

I tell you he is going to pay for it someday with that attitude. Yes I'm judging him for not improving the squad when others are improving theirs. Although I have no right to judge, and I'm just a nobody.

For each step others take, we need to do likewise and take another five. Otherwise we will fall behind. For every dollar they spend, we need to spend two. Yes. I'm making my own assumptions. Although he has already proven that he can improve and deliver world class outcomes without spending much money, I'd still stubbornly hang on to this attitude. Nope, opinion. I get more leeway if I use this word.

I'd be quietly waiting on the sidelines with the words "I told you so" when he fails and when I get so hurt when we really fail.

Spend money, you idiot. I'm smarter than you, Germany's greatest export. I've been watching LFC since 1892. Even though I do not have any experience whatsoever in football management. I'm after all an armchair Football Manager who has never lost a single match because I cheat by restarting each match every time I draw or lose.
      « Last Edit: Sep 07, 2020 03:38:32 pm by ruthcity »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #5: Sep 07, 2020 07:59:33 pm

I tell you he is going to pay for it someday with that attitude. Yes I'm judging him for not improving the squad when others are improving theirs. Although I have no right to judge, and I'm just a nobody.

For each step others take, we need to do likewise and take another five. Otherwise we will fall behind. For every dollar they spend, we need to spend two. Yes. I'm making my own assumptions. Although he has already proven that he can improve and deliver world class outcomes without spending much money, I'd still stubbornly hang on to this attitude. Nope, opinion. I get more leeway if I use this word.

I'd be quietly waiting on the sidelines with the words "I told you so" when he fails and when I get so hurt when we really fail.

Spend money, you idiot. I'm smarter than you, Germany's greatest export. I've been watching LFC since 1892. Even though I do not have any experience whatsoever in football management. I'm after all an armchair Football Manager who has never lost a single match because I cheat by restarting each match every time I draw or lose.

:)

The perfect start to my 3rd Shift-scheduled day. You are the best.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #6: Sep 08, 2020 05:20:14 am

Similar to how City operate then, cheat their way to success, and we all know what happens thereafter, cheats never prosper , they may have their day in the sun, but ultimately they fail, time & time again as history has proven.

Y  N  W  A
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #7: Sep 11, 2020 12:06:19 am

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #8: Sep 11, 2020 12:07:15 am
      Congrats Boss

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #9: Sep 11, 2020 02:38:48 am
      Thankful to have him, he’s literally the only manager that can be successful under the way FSG want to operate.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #10: Sep 12, 2020 04:05:11 pm
      Programme notes for the first game of the season

Klopp: "I view this coming season as a wonderful opportunity. I’m sure there’ll be lots of talk about pressure and expectation, on us specifically. But so what! That’s not new, it’s been constant.

“It’s not about what other people think or want – it’s about what we want, and about what we are prepared to do about it!

“I look at my team and my staff and I see a group of people who are humble and ready. They embrace the culture of ‘let’s go again’.

“I use the word ‘opportunity’ because it’s critical. Everything is possible over the course of the next 38 Premier League matches, plus games in the domestic cups and Europe. Nothing will be given to us and we start with no advantage or headstart. Everyone is on the start line in exactly the same position. This suits us fine, perfect in fact. There is no pole position because of previous achievements. Again, perfect, this is ideal for our culture and our mentality.

“Look at our team and look at their stories. These are people who embrace the challenge. They have faced adversity and come through it. All their lives they have had hurdles in front of them. But until now, they have been pretty good at clearing them.

“It is not hard to find new energy each season when you have the professional culture our players have. They were and remain the mentality monsters. It is a myth that we have needed setbacks to find our energy and motivation in the past.

“Yes, striking back when suffering a knock was and will remain part of our make-up, I don’t deny this and I don’t want to lose it. We will 100 per cent need it – both during games and definitely during the season. The ability to get up off the canvas and keep punching is important. It comes from within this team and from deep within the fabric of this club.

“But ‘striking back’ is only part of it. The truth is we didn’t ‘need’ setbacks but we did ‘use’ them to our advantage. It is just about our situation. We react to it, whatever that situation is. We have had many different situations during our period together, a lot of them positive – most of them positive in fact. So we find energy in all places. This is what we do: identify the next challenge and go for it with all we have.

“The energy is there because we treat each day, each challenge, each session, each game as an opportunity. Something new to attack. Fresh and exciting. It’s never about keeping hold of something. Defending something?! That doesn’t work for us – that’s regressive. The only thing we defend is our goal. Everything else we attack!

“We are about forward momentum. Fresh energy, new energy. What can we achieve now? We take no energy by looking at previous league tables, no matter how recent! No energy from previous records set – pride and satisfaction maybe, but not new energy. Look at the league table before a ball is kicked in this year’s competition and that brings the motivation we need. It’s a blank canvas, a chance to paint something new and wonderful if we are minded to and, crucially, if we are prepared to work hard enough to do it.

“We will find energy in our work. Energy in our room for further improvement and further development. Of course it is going to be hard, really hard. Trust me when I tell you nobody understands this better than us as a coaching staff and as a team. But it’s always been hard.

“We are Liverpool and this is the Premier League. When was it easy – and who wants easy? We can have easy when our careers are over if we so wish.

“My players are fighters and warriors. They know they can achieve new memories only by giving all they have, individually and collectively, in each moment, by not looking back or too far ahead. Yes, we are about looking forward, but what’s right in front of you in the here and now is enough.

“Today, for all of us with a Liverpool heart, it is Leeds United. So for those who appear on the teamsheet today – and even those who don’t – there is work to do. Focus on Leeds and today and nothing else. And that is enough for us. Fighting to win this one game, today, is all the focus and energy we need right now. It is all we can affect.

“Of course, we will still be missing one energy source in the stadium – as will all clubs for the moment – and that is the supporters. But even though they are not in the seats where we can hear and see them, they are still watching, so we can feel them with us. That is enough for us to know we have a duty to perform and work harder for them.

“We can be here in this moment and they cannot, so we embrace that responsibility and hopefully show it through our performance.”
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #11: Sep 12, 2020 04:10:30 pm
      Programme notes for the first game of the season

Klopp: "I view this coming season as a wonderful opportunity. I’m sure there’ll be lots of talk about pressure and expectation, on us specifically. But so what! That’s not new, it’s been constant.

“It’s not about what other people think or want – it’s about what we want, and about what we are prepared to do about it!

“I look at my team and my staff and I see a group of people who are humble and ready. They embrace the culture of ‘let’s go again’.

“I use the word ‘opportunity’ because it’s critical. Everything is possible over the course of the next 38 Premier League matches, plus games in the domestic cups and Europe. Nothing will be given to us and we start with no advantage or headstart. Everyone is on the start line in exactly the same position. This suits us fine, perfect in fact. There is no pole position because of previous achievements. Again, perfect, this is ideal for our culture and our mentality.

“Look at our team and look at their stories. These are people who embrace the challenge. They have faced adversity and come through it. All their lives they have had hurdles in front of them. But until now, they have been pretty good at clearing them.

“It is not hard to find new energy each season when you have the professional culture our players have. They were and remain the mentality monsters. It is a myth that we have needed setbacks to find our energy and motivation in the past.

“Yes, striking back when suffering a knock was and will remain part of our make-up, I don’t deny this and I don’t want to lose it. We will 100 per cent need it – both during games and definitely during the season. The ability to get up off the canvas and keep punching is important. It comes from within this team and from deep within the fabric of this club.

“But ‘striking back’ is only part of it. The truth is we didn’t ‘need’ setbacks but we did ‘use’ them to our advantage. It is just about our situation. We react to it, whatever that situation is. We have had many different situations during our period together, a lot of them positive – most of them positive in fact. So we find energy in all places. This is what we do: identify the next challenge and go for it with all we have.

“The energy is there because we treat each day, each challenge, each session, each game as an opportunity. Something new to attack. Fresh and exciting. It’s never about keeping hold of something. Defending something?! That doesn’t work for us – that’s regressive. The only thing we defend is our goal. Everything else we attack!

“We are about forward momentum. Fresh energy, new energy. What can we achieve now? We take no energy by looking at previous league tables, no matter how recent! No energy from previous records set – pride and satisfaction maybe, but not new energy. Look at the league table before a ball is kicked in this year’s competition and that brings the motivation we need. It’s a blank canvas, a chance to paint something new and wonderful if we are minded to and, crucially, if we are prepared to work hard enough to do it.

“We will find energy in our work. Energy in our room for further improvement and further development. Of course it is going to be hard, really hard. Trust me when I tell you nobody understands this better than us as a coaching staff and as a team. But it’s always been hard.

“We are Liverpool and this is the Premier League. When was it easy – and who wants easy? We can have easy when our careers are over if we so wish.

“My players are fighters and warriors. They know they can achieve new memories only by giving all they have, individually and collectively, in each moment, by not looking back or too far ahead. Yes, we are about looking forward, but what’s right in front of you in the here and now is enough.

“Today, for all of us with a Liverpool heart, it is Leeds United. So for those who appear on the teamsheet today – and even those who don’t – there is work to do. Focus on Leeds and today and nothing else. And that is enough for us. Fighting to win this one game, today, is all the focus and energy we need right now. It is all we can affect.

“Of course, we will still be missing one energy source in the stadium – as will all clubs for the moment – and that is the supporters. But even though they are not in the seats where we can hear and see them, they are still watching, so we can feel them with us. That is enough for us to know we have a duty to perform and work harder for them.

“We can be here in this moment and they cannot, so we embrace that responsibility and hopefully show it through our performance.”

What a manager.
      Says all the right things.
      In the right way.
      Good luck this season!!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #12: Sep 12, 2020 04:14:24 pm
      What a manager.
      Says all the right things.
      In the right way.
      Good luck this season!!

If anybody wasn't in the mood before then they would be now! 
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #13: Sep 12, 2020 04:18:01 pm
      If anybody wasn't in the mood before then they would be now! 

Well, he has me chomping at the bit.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #14: Sep 13, 2020 12:11:13 am
      Going back to February we haven’t been at our best. I know people try and mitigate that by saying how hard we’ve worked, the break, rusty legs, or whatever excuse you want to pick but it’s clear as day we have not been performing at the level we can. Don’t care about any mitigating reasons, it’s how it is.

The biggest issue for me is the clear lack of concentration and almost a sense of arrogance from our defence. Today it felt like it’s been ages since we’ve seen our defence and Alisson look solid. Bar the Palace game on the run in, we’ve been incredibly sloppy. Taking a look at our results back to the Watford defeat when our performances seemed to be rapidly going downhill.

Watford - 5 on target, scored 3
      Bournemouth - 4 on target, scored 1
      Atletico - 6 on target, scored 3
      Everton - 3 on target, scored 0
      Palace - 0 on target
      City - 6 on target, scored 4
      Villa - 3 on target, scored 0
      Brighton - 2 on target, scored 1
      Burnley - 2 on target, scored 1
      Arsenal - 2 on target, scored 2
      Chelsea - 5 on target, scored 3
      Newcastle - 2 on target, scored 1
      Arsenal (Community Shield) - 2 on target, scored 1
      Leeds - 3 on target, scored 3

23 goals conceded from 45 shots on target in 14 games.

That is an abysmal record and the worst part is, so many of them goals have come from our own individual errors. The number of efforts on target makes for good reading, but the conversion of the chances is far from good.

There’s a glaring problem with our backline at the moment and it only seems to be getting worse. People may think I’m being negative or whatever else but sometimes you have to accept we just aren’t performing as we can. This is a team that went about 10 games without conceding a goal, so why have we suddenly lost all concentration and awareness in defence? There’s a week until the next game, it seems as though we are still trying to play that high line but it isn’t working.

Klopp’s no fool, he will be well aware of our issues at the back and hopefully he will be able to get them sorted. But one thing that’s for sure is the Van Dijk we currently have is looking far from the Van Dijk who went a whole season without being beaten by anyone and I think the others almost feed off his shall we say arrogance at times.

We could get away with being sloppy and letting in cheap goals at the end of last season, today we got incredibly lucky vs Leeds. If we don’t sort the issue out then it will cost us over the remaining 37 games because there is much tougher opposition than Leeds to come yet.
      « Last Edit: Sep 13, 2020 12:29:12 am by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #15: Sep 14, 2020 06:53:44 am
      Lampard  seems to be trying to create a rivalry with Jürgen a la Ferguson-Wenger or Wenger-Mourinho.

Hopefully we give them a hiding and shut Fatty up.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #16: Sep 14, 2020 09:37:38 am
      Lampard  seems to be trying to create a rivalry with Jürgen a la Ferguson-Wenger or Wenger-Mourinho.

I hope we smash these cocky cu*ts. Shut their f**king supporters up who think they are automatic Title Winners this season with all their new additions!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #17: Sep 14, 2020 10:16:29 am

Thought that was a very clever interview by Klopp because by highlighting how much they have spent this summer really ramped up the pressure on Lampard to deliver this season. Could see from his response that Klopp has gotten in his head...again.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #18: Sep 14, 2020 12:23:39 pm
      Going back to February we haven’t been at our best. I know people try and mitigate that by saying how hard we’ve worked, the break, rusty legs, or whatever excuse you want to pick but it’s clear as day we have not been performing at the level we can. Don’t care about any mitigating reasons, it’s how it is.

The biggest issue for me is the clear lack of concentration and almost a sense of arrogance from our defence. Today it felt like it’s been ages since we’ve seen our defence and Alisson look solid. Bar the Palace game on the run in, we’ve been incredibly sloppy. Taking a look at our results back to the Watford defeat when our performances seemed to be rapidly going downhill.

Palace - 0 on target

That is an abysmal record and the worst part is, so many of them goals have come from our own individual errors. The number of efforts on target makes for good reading, but the conversion of the chances is far from good.

There’s a glaring problem with our backline at the moment and it only seems to be getting worse. People may think I’m being negative or whatever else but sometimes you have to accept we just aren’t performing as we can. This is a team that went about 10 games without conceding a goal, so why have we suddenly lost all concentration and awareness in defence? There’s a week until the next game, it seems as though we are still trying to play that high line but it isn’t working.

Klopp’s no fool, he will be well aware of our issues at the back and hopefully he will be able to get them sorted. But one thing that’s for sure is the Van Dijk we currently have is looking far from the Van Dijk who went a whole season without being beaten by anyone and I think the others almost feed off his shall we say arrogance at times.

We could get away with being sloppy and letting in cheap goals at the end of last season, today we got incredibly lucky vs Leeds. If we don’t sort the issue out then it will cost us over the remaining 37 games because there is much tougher opposition than Leeds to come yet.

Food for thought mate, I think your are spot on, the facts are glaring, there has to be a element of complacency involved, You go ten plus games without conceding, maybe in their minds they are invincible and when they do concede they put it down to a simple error, but still win the game, so no real concern enters their mindset,
      Onto the next time they concede, perhaps a different circumstance, and again win that match, and so on, until it becomes normal for them that they concede, knowing that for the most part they win as a team, but that complacency worsens, and the individual mistakes happen more often,

I’m sure it will sort itself out, sooner the better obviously, perhaps the stats guys can lend a hand in showing how much their levels have fallen consistently over the last few months, and like you say Klopp will have noticed and most definitely have a word.

Y  N  W  A
      ruthcity

• 6,868 posts | 1465 
      Reply #19: Sep 14, 2020 12:57:08 pm
      Palace - 0 on target

That is an abysmal record and the worst part is, so many of them goals have come from our own individual errors.

Watford - 5 on target, scored 3, 0 points
      Bournemouth - 4 on target, scored 1, 3 points
      Atletico - 6 on target, scored 3, na
      Everton - 3 on target, scored 0, 1 point
      Palace - 0 on target, 3 points
      City - 6 on target, scored 4, 0 points
      Villa - 3 on target, scored 0, 3 points
      Brighton - 2 on target, scored 1, 3 points
      Burnley - 2 on target, scored 1, 1 point
      Arsenal - 2 on target, scored 2, 0 points
      Chelsea - 5 on target, scored 3, 3 points
      Newcastle - 2 on target, scored 1, 3 points
      Arsenal (Community Shield) - 2 on target, scored 1, na

P11 W6 D2 L3 - 20 points. 1.82 points per game. 69 points over 38 games. League form is third behind Liverpool and City for season 2019/20.

Abysmal record but still a scary league form despite being in second gear. As Klopp says, all good. If we understand that the league is first about points, followed by GD, and then team and individual stats. The only stat that matters - points. Not shots, or assists. Goals matter in that we score more than our opponents for three points.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #20: Sep 14, 2020 01:22:07 pm
      Watford - 5 on target, scored 3, 0 points
      Bournemouth - 4 on target, scored 1, 3 points
      Atletico - 6 on target, scored 3, na
      Everton - 3 on target, scored 0, 1 point
      Palace - 0 on target, 3 points
      City - 6 on target, scored 4, 0 points
      Villa - 3 on target, scored 0, 3 points
      Brighton - 2 on target, scored 1, 3 points
      Burnley - 2 on target, scored 1, 1 point
      Arsenal - 2 on target, scored 2, 0 points
      Chelsea - 5 on target, scored 3, 3 points
      Newcastle - 2 on target, scored 1, 3 points
      Arsenal (Community Shield) - 2 on target, scored 1, na

P11 W6 D2 L3 - 20 points. 1.82 points per game. 69 points over 38 games. League form is third behind Liverpool and City for season 2019/20.

Abysmal record but still a scary league form despite being in second gear. As Klopp says, all good. If we understand that the league is first about points, followed by GD, and then team and individual stats. The only stat that matters - points. Not shots, or assists. Goals matter in that we score more than our opponents for three points.

Yes but my point wasn’t about the number of points from them games, it was the defensive side of our game. It’s all well and good saying we still won them games, but sooner or later our luck will run out which is why it’s vital they get back to the level in which they displayed prior to the dip in defensive performances.

Restricting the opposition to 2 shots on target in a game is damn good, until you see that it’s becoming a common theme now that of them 2 shots on target, at least 1 of them is being scored. We are conceding basically 1 goal for every 2 shots on target. If we carry on in that manner then I’m sorry but I think we can forget retaining the title.

But I have every faith in Klopp to get it rectified because we had dipped defensively at the start of last season for a while too but then put it right again.
      « Last Edit: Sep 14, 2020 01:32:10 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      ruthcity

• 6,868 posts | 1465 
      Reply #21: Sep 14, 2020 01:55:39 pm
      It’s all well and good saying we still won them games, but sooner or later our luck will run out which is why it’s vital they get back to the level in which they displayed prior to the dip in defensive performances.

Your point is well noted and your opinion is to be respected. But to say that we were riding on our luck (which is why it will run out) is a big discredit to the entire squad and coaching staff in my view. They've put in the work and we create our own luck.

I believe at no point would the players and staff want to be labelled as riding on their luck over the past series of games. I'm sure they fought for every point and no effort is spared to bring the points home. You can feel otherwise but the least we can do is not to discredit their efforts with "you were lucky." Meself would feel I put in the effort only for my fans to say that.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #22: Sep 14, 2020 03:47:51 pm
      Your point is well noted and your opinion is to be respected. But to say that we were riding on our luck (which is why it will run out) is a big discredit to the entire squad and coaching staff in my view. They've put in the work and we create our own luck.

I believe at no point would the players and staff want to be labelled as riding on their luck over the past series of games. I'm sure they fought for every point and no effort is spared to bring the points home. You can feel otherwise but the least we can do is not to discredit their efforts with "you were lucky." Meself would feel I put in the effort only for my fans to say that.

It’s not discrediting their efforts at all, far from it. But when you are conceding a goal at a ratio of 1 goal to every 2 shots on target, of course there is an element of luck to still be winning the games, hence why we ended up dropping points to the likes of Burnley and Arsenal despite dominating the game. If you don’t make the most of your chances then you are leaving yourself wide open to dropping points with any drops in concentration. Our luck ran out in the games we dropped points because we didn’t take our chances whilst the opponents were clinical. If we have 10+ shots on target or whatever but only score the 1 goal compared to the opponents having 2 and scoring the same amount then it’s clear as day you haven’t got the luck on that side of things.

It’s not a discredit to the team at all, it’s how it is. Concentration is a big part of winning games and ultimately, if you continue to give away silly goals then sooner or later it will result in defeats.

At the end of the day a game of football is luck, don’t know why some people take issue to saying if our luck will run out.

Quick Reply