Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The 30 year wait

Read 8099 times
      LFC PAUL
      • Forum Roger Hunt
      • Started Topic

• 493 posts | 46 
      The 30 year wait
      Aug 30, 2020 07:48:45 pm
      On the box tonight at 9pm, BBC 2
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: The 30 year wait
      Reply #1: Aug 30, 2020 11:49:12 pm
      On the box tonight at 9pm, BBC 2

Interesting watch that.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #2: Aug 31, 2020 12:01:35 am
      Well worth watching. Thoroughly enjoyed that.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #3: Aug 31, 2020 12:01:40 pm
      Here's the iPlayer link.   Really enjoyed that programme - good to have so many of the managers down the years getting interviewed as well.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000m7l8/liverpool-fc-the-30year-wait
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #4: Aug 31, 2020 12:23:36 pm
      Here's the iPlayer link.   Really enjoyed that programme - good to have so many of the managers down the years getting interviewed as well.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000m7l8/liverpool-fc-the-30year-wait

Sad to see that there is still animosity between Roy and Gerard though, I found that interesting plus some of the insights around Hicks and Gillet and the rest of the club being so against them at the end.

Was also really cool how they introduced Jürgen :-)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #5: Aug 31, 2020 12:50:57 pm
      Sad to see that there is still animosity between Roy and Gerard though, I found that interesting

Yes I was a bit surprised about that too. Think Evans was given plenty of time I don't think he can really hold grudges.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #6: Aug 31, 2020 12:58:44 pm
      Was nice to see Houllier included. That Roma game was a F***ing great European night and doesn't get talked about as much as it should. Believe they were the reigning Italian champions at the time so it was some result turning them over 2-0

Always shocks me when I see how frail & colourless he looks returning to the dugout though, no way he should have returned that early.

The joint manager thing is always a laugh too. Has any club (similar to size in ours) ever tried anything like that since? Or had any club done it before? We're the only side I'm aware of that has ever done it
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #7: Aug 31, 2020 01:01:57 pm
      Sad to see that there is still animosity between Roy and Gerard though

I liked the bit where Houllier was talking about going into the dressing room after Istanbul and Benitez was brilliant with him.

I've heard the story a few times before but always presumed Rafa didn't want him there or there was a bit of awkwardness between the two
      « Last Edit: Aug 31, 2020 02:46:33 pm by TameImpala »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #8: Aug 31, 2020 01:38:49 pm
      Missed half, completely forgot about it, will have to give it a rewatch through BBC i-player.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #9: Aug 31, 2020 02:33:12 pm
      Missed half, completely forgot about it, will have to give it a rewatch through BBC i-player.

Roy still being bitter at Gerard gave me a needed chuckle.
      2001 though, what a season that was.

The Klopp stuff was nicely done.
      Lucky time to be an LFC fan.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #10: Aug 31, 2020 03:46:07 pm
      Do they put these programmes on DVD, or BlueRay or SpaceJam or floppy disk or whatever it is called now?  ;D

How about Beta? I think I can run Beta on my VCR.

Or an 8-track tape player?

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #11: Aug 31, 2020 03:56:27 pm
      Sad to see that there is still animosity between Roy and Gerard

It’s more from Evans’ side. But Co-managers should never have happened in the first place, terrible decision for a club to make.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #12: Aug 31, 2020 03:59:35 pm
      It’s more from Evans’ side. But Co-managers should never have happened in the first place, terrible decision for a club to make.

Have to blame David Moores really, same with sounds,, personal relationships meant he found it difficult to sack people 
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #13: Aug 31, 2020 05:22:07 pm
      Really enjoyed the programme, thought Gerard Houllier was a really likeable person, perhaps a bit too nice at times ! Always liked Rafa who at least guided the club to winning the champions league, in what was a very memorable occasion, a bit sad to see him depart in one sense. Kenny came back after the Roy Hodgson era, he was never cut out to be a Liverpool manager.

Brendan tried his best, but perhaps did not have the experience, unlike present manager Jürgen Klopp, who was the perfect fit for the club, as his record shows, finally guiding us to the premiership title after such a long wait. These are my views only I except I am not as knowledgeable as many Liverpool fans out there.
      macbk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 750 posts | 64 
      Reply #14: Aug 31, 2020 07:00:08 pm
      As an American, how can I watch?
      Red8
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts | 38 
      Reply #15: Aug 31, 2020 07:23:18 pm
      macbk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 750 posts | 64 
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #17: Aug 31, 2020 07:46:14 pm
      Was nice to see Houllier included. That Roma game was a f**king great European night and doesn't get talked about as much as it should. Believe they were the reigning Italian champions at the time so it was some result turning them over 2-0

Always shocks me when I see how frail & colourless he looks returning to the dugout though, no way he should have returned that early.

The joint manager thing is always a laugh too. Has any club (similar to size in ours) ever tried anything like that since? Or had any club done it before? We're the only side I'm aware of that has ever done it

Brian Clough and Peter Taylor 😬
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #18: Aug 31, 2020 07:53:40 pm
      Really enjoyed the programme, thought Gerard Houllier was a really likeable person, perhaps a bit too nice at times !

Not a chance Houllier could be described as a bit too nice, bringing in a loan player to spy on the squad when he first got full control to weed out a player (Paul Ince) who was running to the press with all kinds of stories, the way he got shut of players including anyone who argued with him, his belief he was fine after the heart problems and cracked on with 2002/2003 season even though everyone and his dog could tell he was still ill.

You could call it stereotypically French arrogance. But when he first got full control that was need to build a platform for going into the 21st century and getting rid of the deadwood of the time.
      LFC PAUL
      • Forum Roger Hunt
      • Started Topic

• 493 posts | 46 
      Reply #19: Aug 31, 2020 08:11:17 pm
      Do they put these programmes on DVD, or BlueRay or SpaceJam or floppy disk or whatever it is called now?  ;D

How about Beta? I think I can run Beta on my VCR.

Or an 8-track tape player?

Probably not, mostly because of copyright issues usually 
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #20: Aug 31, 2020 08:19:33 pm
      Good programme, tried to fit a lot into the time available.
      Bit that stuck out for me too was the Houllier/Evans relationship, or lack of one as it stands now. Roy really looked hurt by it, though agree that joint manager thing was never going to work.
      I've generally liked Gerard, but when he talked about when Rafa won the CL in 2005, it was basically with HIS players. OK Gerard, but do you think YOU could have won it with those players - I really don't think so. And Rafa went on to build a much stronger team than Houllier.
      And Hick's quote, saying buying LFC was like buying Kleenex or something, some tw*t that lad.
      Stevie G and KK mentioned thoughout, SGs slip got another outing, never easy to watch. And the Karius howlers in the CL final :(
      But seeing the managers come and go, it only highlighted the unbelievable job Jürgen has done since he was come in. Absolutely incredible.
      Kopite78
      Reply #21: Aug 31, 2020 08:38:38 pm
      Brian Clough and Peter Taylor 😬

They were a distinct manager and assistant though those two
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #22: Aug 31, 2020 08:39:17 pm
      I missed the start, which was just as well considering the first 10-15 minutes was about the 80's, and the first 5 minutes focused on some irrelevant incident in Belgium. I'm sure most of us would rather not be reminded about it, in a Liverpool documentary. We are it's target audience after all. Especially a show that's supposed to start in the year 1990.

The rest of it could have focused on the team's results during the leaner years, not merely gloss over them. So they could have talked about the team drawing at home to Swindon, or losing at home to Barnsley, or going out of the cup at home to Grimsby/Northampton, or finishing 8th in the table several years, to mention a few. It would have been far more informative to our newer generation of fans. I know time is short but to better appreciate what we have, it helps to understand how far we've actually come. Then they can fully appreciate what it feels like to finally finish 1st.

Quick Reply