Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The 30 year wait

Read 8097 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: The 30 year wait
      Reply #23: Aug 31, 2020 09:17:19 pm
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #24: Aug 31, 2020 09:39:57 pm
      I missed the start, which was just as well considering the first 10-15 minutes was about the 80's, and the first 5 minutes focused on some irrelevant incident in Belgium. I'm sure most of us would rather not be reminded about it, in a Liverpool documentary. We are it's target audience after all. Especially a show that's supposed to start in the year 1990.

The rest of it could have focused on the team's results during the leaner years, not merely gloss over them. So they could have talked about the team drawing at home to Swindon, or losing at home to Barnsley, or going out of the cup at home to Grimsby/Northampton, or finishing 8th in the table several years, to mention a few. It would have been far more informative to our newer generation of fans. I know time is short but to better appreciate what we have, it helps to understand how far we've actually come. Then they can fully appreciate what it feels like to finally finish 1st.

Irrelevant incident?
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #25: Sep 01, 2020 12:51:31 am
      They were a distinct manager and assistant though those two

Know what you mean Kopite, but wherever you have two ‘managers’ working together, there’s always a dominant partner, and the other is looked on as the assistant.
      I think Roy became the assistant.
      Kopite78
      Reply #26: Sep 01, 2020 07:31:34 am
      Know what you mean Kopite, but wherever you have two ‘managers’ working together, there’s always a dominant partner, and the other is looked on as the assistant.
      I think Roy became the assistant.

I'm not sure Roy became the "assistant " in the clubs thinking
      But I think Gerard definitely saw him as more of an inconvenience and didn't really treat him as an equal which is where the animosity comes from on Roy's side.
      I mean it was never going to work, all it did was confuse players and cause a rift at the top

But I think Roy doesn't think that Gerard ever tried to make it work and was trying to push him out from minute 1

Clough and Taylor werent joint managers though at all, Clough was number 1, Taylor 2
      They eventually fell out because of Cloughs  attitude, drinking and arrogance and Taylor then tried to make it as a number 1 on his own right at Brighton but that didnt really work out
      « Last Edit: Sep 01, 2020 07:36:52 am by Kopite78 »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #27: Sep 01, 2020 02:02:54 pm
      Enjoyed that and got to see it last night.

Big mistake to appoint joint managers at that time and sad to see Roy still seems to hold a grudge against Ged. I don't see how that could have ended any differently and both me shouldn't have been in that situation in the first place and was always only going to be one outcome.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #28: Sep 01, 2020 06:00:21 pm
      Just managed to watch it, really well made and got me a bit emotional at times.

Well done the BBC.

Big F***ing grins when Klopp turns up!!

"Hello" :laugh:
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #29: Sep 01, 2020 06:08:47 pm
      Out of all the managers, it seemed that BR was the only one to try and make it about himself.

He stopped short of claiming credit for the title, but only just.

Still a great watch though.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #30: Sep 01, 2020 08:28:12 pm
      Really enjoyable hour and a half and quite difficult to fit our 'history' in such a short space of time so I think the BBC did very well, looking back at the Souness days and the Hodgson days was painful as well as the hicks/gillette period. makes you realise how good everything is at the moment with FSG and Jürgen at the helm, like Racer said, it's a great time to be a Liverpool fan, we should all count our blessings, Shanks and Bob would be happy to see that we're in great hands at this moment.

Long may it continue.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #31: Sep 01, 2020 08:41:23 pm
      Out of all the managers, it seemed that BR was the only one to try and make it about himself.

He stopped short of claiming credit for the title, but only just.

Still a great watch though.

Oh I'm not sure, Houllier had a good go.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #32: Sep 01, 2020 10:45:12 pm
      Oh I'm not sure, Houllier had a good go.

Yeah, with the CL  :laugh:

Thing is, we've heard from a lot of players etc since then about how it was "his squad", so I think it was probably fair enough for him to jump on board with that.

He looked proper fu**ed though in the program and in the old clips when he came out of hospital, so I find it hard to be too harsh on him, even if what Evans said was true. The bit about some people being better at "looking after themselves" suggests he thinks Houllier stuck the knife in behind his back.

A pity some of the old wounds got re-opened a bit, but all part of the 30 years I suppose.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #33: Sep 01, 2020 10:48:37 pm
      Very well made documentary, loved the bits about Barnes, emotional about the Hillsborough part and a great ending.

The Brendan stuff was the only sour part. Made a point of blaming everyone bar himself - 'the slip was the real crucial moment'/'I told the players we were taking too many risk v Palace'/'I only needed Van Dijk'. Nah, not having that. Was a massive difference between that and the way Houllier and Rafa spoke.

Big f**king grins when Klopp turns up!!

"Hello" :laugh:

Best bit by a mile this!
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #34: Sep 02, 2020 10:12:39 am
      'I told the players we were taking too many risk v Palace

Was thinking the same myself - did he sh*te tell the players that. Pretty sure he'd have wanted them to hunt the goal difference down same as everybody else. If I remember correctly City only had one game left and that was at home to West Ham, so clawing back the goal difference was the only realistic way we were winning the title by that point.

Would have had a lot more respect for him if he'd have just come out and said something along the lines of "We went for the spectacular and it backfired, we had no other choice".

If we'd have won that game 7-0 and went on to win the title on goal difference I'm sure he would came out with some guff about how his decision to deploy Joe Allen as a "high pressing trequartista" was a masterstroke
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #35: Sep 02, 2020 10:19:47 am
      Yeah, with the CL  :laugh:

Thing is, we've heard from a lot of players etc since then about how it was "his squad", so I think it was probably fair enough for him to jump on board with that.

He looked proper fu**ed though in the program and in the old clips when he came out of hospital, so I find it hard to be too harsh on him, even if what Evans said was true. The bit about some people being better at "looking after themselves" suggests he thinks Houllier stuck the knife in behind his back.

A pity some of the old wounds got re-opened a bit, but all part of the 30 years I suppose.

I can remember being very happy when Houllier came in, I can't quite recall if that was as joint manager or sole manager, but Evans had his chance and largely dissapointed. With that crop of young players, Mcmannaman, Fowler, Redknapp etc he really should have been able to mount more of a challenge than he did but he was unable to control the spiceboys thing.  Houllier was a big improvement, then Rafa even more, then the manager who shall not be mentioned, then nice nostalgia with King Kenny, the Irishman who went so so close and then of course the Meister, Jürgen!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #36: Sep 02, 2020 10:29:16 am
      The rest of it could have focused on the team's results during the leaner years, not merely gloss over them.

Always fascinated by this 'leaner years' business.  For the overwhelming majority of football clubs, Liverpool's last 30 years would have been their golden period.

It's all relative - showing us winning the treble and a couple of European Cups and FA and League Cups and then banging on about them being terrible times just wouldn't register with non-Liverpool fans watching.  Our lowest league position has been 8th which we've finished in just 3 times in almost 60 years,  I'm not sure how much emotional connection you can buy when that was the depth of our performances.  Try selling that as heartbreak to Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday, Nottingham Forest and Villa fans!

The programme was all about close shaves, failure and constant reinvention in the main trophy we all wanted.  Think it did a good job.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #37: Sep 02, 2020 10:45:34 am
      Was thinking the same myself - did he sh*te tell the players that. Pretty sure he'd have wanted them to hunt the goal difference down same as everybody else. If I remember correctly City only had one game left and that was at home to West Ham, so clawing back the goal difference was the only realistic way we were winning the title by that point.

Would have had a lot more respect for him if he'd have just come out and said something along the lines of "We went for the spectacular and it backfired, we had no other choice".

If we'd have won that game 7-0 and went on to win the title on goal difference I'm sure he would came out with some guff about how his decision to deploy Joe Allen as a "high pressing trequartista" was a masterstroke

That game still haunts me, but its not where we lost the title, or Chelsea. We lost the title because Brendan was and still is a fuckwit as regards defending, we scored a hell of a lot of goals in that campaign but we also conceded a hell of a lot, with a bit more smarts and a better balance to the team we would have beaten City that year.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #38: Sep 02, 2020 12:02:42 pm
      That game still haunts me, but its not where we lost the title, or Chelsea. We lost the title because Brendan was and still is a fuckwit as regards defending, we scored a hell of a lot of goals in that campaign but we also conceded a hell of a lot, with a bit more smarts and a better balance to the team we would have beaten City that year.

Feels as though there were so many bizarre moments that season where for years we looked back on and thought "what if". Obviously Gerrard's slip tops them all but there was also Kolo Toure's absolute brain-fart of a pass to Anichebe against West Brom which led to them snatching an equalizer & Joe Allen's open goal miss in the 3-3 derby

The one which riled me up the most though would be Sterling's disallowed goal in the 1-2 away defeat to Man City (photo attached to jog your memory). Absolute disgrace how that was flagged for offside - and the same cu*ts have got a cheek to bang on about bias & VAR!

Was a terrific season though looking back, for excitement you couldn't fault it
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #39: Sep 04, 2020 08:39:59 am
      Quote from JD
      Always fascinated by this 'leaner years' business.  For the overwhelming majority of football clubs, Liverpool's last 30 years would have been their golden period.

It's all relative - showing us winning the treble and a couple of European Cups and FA and League Cups and then banging on about them being terrible times just wouldn't register with non-Liverpool fans watching.  Our lowest league position has been 8th which we've finished in just 3 times in almost 60 years,  I'm not sure how much emotional connection you can buy when that was the depth of our performances.  Try selling that as heartbreak to Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday, Nottingham Forest and Villa fans!

The programme was all about close shaves, failure and constant reinvention in the main trophy we all wanted.  Think it did a good job.

Entire seasons were glossed over/ignored. Yes they showed the main moments during the time, but we know everything about them. There is nothing more to show about Istanbul that hasn't already been covered many times before. Same with the slip. We know that Kenny resigned, we know why he resigned, this is stuff we Liverpool fans are all aware of. Was there anything groundbreaking? Maybe if it started in 1990, rather than 1985, we might find out something new. It was a 30 year wait, not a 35 year wait.

As regards Leeds and Villa fans etc, I assume very few were watching, and if they were, what was shown wouldn't interest them. Success for them is staying in the league, not winning the league as is the case here.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #40: Sep 04, 2020 09:16:28 am
      Entire seasons were glossed over/ignored. Yes they showed the main moments during the time, but we know everything about them. There is nothing more to show about Istanbul that hasn't already been covered many times before. Same with the slip. We know that Kenny resigned, we know why he resigned, this is stuff we Liverpool fans are all aware of. Was there anything groundbreaking? Maybe if it started in 1990, rather than 1985, we might find out something new. It was a 30 year wait, not a 35 year wait.

As regards Leeds and Villa fans etc, I assume very few were watching, and if they were, what was shown wouldn't interest them. Success for them is staying in the league, not winning the league as is the case here.

The thing is that it wasn't made just for Liverpool supporters. It was shown at primetime on a bank holiday weekend & was obviously made with a wider target audience in mind. Was nothing new for us but it would have been informative the rest of the country. I'm sure a lot of the Chicago Bulls fans who watched 'The Last Dance' on Netflix didn't learn much, but those who weren't clued up on the story like myself found it captivating
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #41: Sep 04, 2020 11:49:49 am

and people call me miserable and negative!!!

I wasn't aware of the ongoing animosity between Evans and Houllier, I also didn't know that Hicks was the bigger pr**k than Gillett.

But even if there weren't any big revelations it was a well made and interesting stroll down memory lane with a very happy ending.

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #42: Jan 29, 2021 08:10:22 pm
      Most of the interviews seemed to be held in July 2020. We found out that the Houllier interview was then, when the show was repeated as the broadcaster's tribute to his time here. In one of his last pre-game press conferences, he believed that we wanted at the time to go back to the 60's and 70's culture. That was never the case, but after 6 years in charge, we had hoped to be a bit closer to the champions than the 30 point gap we ended up with.

Rafa had his say in it as well, which as these things do, focused on the rant about you know who down the road. All these years later, he still defiantly believes he was spot on and doesn't see the issue with it. It's not that what he said was wrong, but the manc set a mind game trap for him, and he hit the ground running into it. Within a month, our title challenge had crumbled, our cup run was over, and it was all downhill from there.

By contrast, Jürgen says a lot in his media duties, but never what is not in his or the team's interests. I'm sure he had plenty to say though in The End Of The Storm, focusing on bringing the title home, when it's released on Sky Documentaries this weekend.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #43: Jan 30, 2021 06:05:48 pm
      Rafa had his say in it as well, which as these things do, focused on the rant about you know who down the road. All these years later, he still defiantly believes he was spot on and doesn't see the issue with it. It's not that what he said was wrong, but the manc set a mind game trap for him, and he hit the ground running into it. Within a month, our title challenge had crumbled, our cup run was over, and it was all downhill from there.

Lying tw*t!

His facts press conference was before the Stoke game in the January when he had gall stones. We went all the way to April until Macheda's goal for the mancs against Villa and our 4-4 draw against Arsenal ended the title challenge.

Your sad hatred for Rafa is still pathetic, Everton type behaviour and comments if I'm honest.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #44: Jan 30, 2021 06:33:11 pm
      Lying T**t!

His facts press conference was before the Stoke game in the January when he had gall stones. We went all the way to April until Macheda's goal for the mancs against Villa and our 4-4 draw against Arsenal ended the title challenge.

Your sad hatred for Rafa is still pathetic, Everton type behaviour and comments if I'm honest.

History is written by the victors isn't it. That press conference has been rewritten as though it was some Keegan-esque meltdown but I think our form in the second half of the season after the "rant" was better than it was before. With the benefit of hindsight the reason we didn't win the title that year was not putting small teams to the sword at home, and to a lesser extent Macheda coming out of nowhere and rescuing two wins for United late on. Plus I don't know a single red who wasn't made up with him at the time for that press conference. Everyone was buzzing
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #45: Jan 30, 2021 07:12:22 pm
      Any torrents please guys?

Quick Reply