Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Predictions For The Coming Season

Read 11965 times
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Re: Predictions For The Coming Season
      Reply #69: Sep 04, 2020 09:13:15 pm
      I don't think we have to play overwhelmingly good football for the whole season. Just pick up more three points than the other teams over the next 38 games or so. That's all I care. Scrappy, VAR, lucky or well earned three points, I'll take them all. A "we almost lost it" three points is as good as good as the three points earned from "thrashing our opponents". They are all the same. It's about our ability to pick up more points at a faster rate than the 19 other teams. If the squad can do that, it is already a strong squad. Apart from just skill, knowing how to secure three points is also an art.

Thats what i'm talking about, we played better the seasons we did'nt  win it, but winning 3 per game was essential
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 867 posts | 101 
      Reply #70: Sep 05, 2020 08:52:53 am
      I'm still gathering my thoughts over the season to be honest but one thing I'm sure of is utd are still a long way off is and Citeh

couldnt disagree more...Utd seemed to be getting their act together and City were devastating post-lockdown.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #71: Sep 05, 2020 12:09:17 pm

couldnt disagree more...Utd seemed to be getting their act together and City were devastating post-lockdown.

especially against Lyon!! :-)
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #72: Sep 05, 2020 12:38:47 pm

Too right. City is the team everyone admires. They will be the team to beat next season.

My supporting arguments are as follows:
      They’ve oil money to strengthen in every window and Pep is world class. De Bruyne is world class and that greedy b***ard just gets better. 100 points for a season. What a team! They bought Nathan Ake, a world class player. Watch him destroy every team next season. What a world class team.

We haven’t bought anyone world class. Especially Tim Werner. Disappointing!!! :f_steam:
      Kopite78
      Reply #73: Sep 05, 2020 12:42:55 pm

I said utd will be behind us and city

Stand by it, utd maybe improving but they're a distance behind us and city still
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #74: Sep 05, 2020 01:35:11 pm
      Too right. City is the team everyone admires. They will be the team to beat next season.

My supporting arguments are as follows:
      They’ve oil money to strengthen in every window and Pep is world class. De Bruyne is world class and that greedy b***ard just gets better. 100 points for a season. What a team! They bought Nathan Ake, a world class player. Watch him destroy every team next season. What a world class team.

We haven’t bought anyone world class. Especially Tim Werner. Disappointing!!! :f_steam:

I honestly don't know if this is sarcasm or not.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #75: Sep 05, 2020 03:55:24 pm
      Relegation battle incoming ;)
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #76: Sep 05, 2020 03:56:24 pm

No, but judging by the awful first half against Blackpool, one week before the league starts, top 4 might be a battle.

OK a bollocking from Jürgen was all that was needed it seems, but it shouldn't be necessary this close to a new season.
      « Last Edit: Sep 05, 2020 04:22:35 pm by heimdall »
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #77: Sep 05, 2020 03:57:13 pm

Who Everton? :D Yes
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #78: Sep 05, 2020 04:55:10 pm
      No, but judging by the awful first half against Blackpool, one week before the league starts, top 4 might be a battle.

OK a bollocking from Jürgen was all that was needed it seems, but it shouldn't be necessary this close to a new season.

Aren't you forgetting the part about needing to buy various players?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #79: Sep 05, 2020 04:58:29 pm
      Aren't you forgetting the part about needing to buy various players?

I still feel we need an extra forward and CB BUT we do have some quite exciting young talent, but are they ready for the Prem, that is the big question.
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #80: Sep 05, 2020 05:45:02 pm
      I still feel we need an extra forward and CB BUT we do have some quite exciting young talent, but are they ready for the Prem, that is the big question.

Yes I agree. We do need extra fire power, quality as well. Strengthen from a position of strength. Could be Barca will get Wijnaldum, think he hasn't sorted a new deal with us, just a year left on his current deal. If he goes could be £40m or thereabouts . I'm a bit surprised TBH, I mean he's a good solid pro but he's hardly a big marquee signing.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #81: Sep 05, 2020 05:56:58 pm
      I’m always a pessimist, so I think we can win the league again, but it won’t be anywhere near the walk in the park it was last year, I think this season will be A LOT closer with more teams involved than just us and City, and not because they are better, just I can see us and City not performing to the same heights...

We definitely need a new striker, Origi will do for a substitute, but if anything happens to Bobby I wouldn’t want him starting every game, plus I think we could just benefit from having someone a little more direct than Bobby in certain situations/games, someone who’s only instinct is to score.

I’d say maybe a CB, although I still think Matip next to Virgil is a good mix, and Gomez, although can be suspect at times, has the pace against the quicker teams. So maybe not a massive need, but would be welcome, especially if they are already established and relatively young.

And if possible, I’d love another wide player, I feel like there could be times this season we are going to be frustrated by Salah or Mane at certain times because of the highs they have got us accustomed to, so a solid young, also relatively established wide player would be good to keep it fresh, would have loved Ferran Torres but obviously that’s a no now.

And if Thiago IS going for the rumoured £35million that’s a no brainier, get him in.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #82: Sep 05, 2020 06:07:20 pm
      It'll be a lot tighter, we will drop off from 95 points+ and I expect the chasing pack will be pushing up points wise. We will have to stay relatively injury free as the squad currently is to defend our title - especially at centre half and in attack but barring some disaster we'll be competing into the last few games of the season for sure.

Champions League is the Champions League - a bit of a lottery to some extent and all you can do is find a way out of the group and have a crack in the new year. You need a bit of luck to win it so not going to get too hung up on it. Would love a domestic cup, feel we've really underachieved there under Klopp but as with seasons before I don't think we've got the squad to seriously challenge in four competitions.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #83: Sep 05, 2020 09:44:24 pm
      Jürgen on our preseason preparations:

"It was as good as possible, I would say. We had a lot of good sessions and we will get the benefit of that during the season. We have to make sure we now get ready for the first game against Leeds because that will be a really tough one. Leeds have a specific style of play, man-marking over the whole pitch and makes it proper intense. We have to be ready for that but we have a few days. Hopefully all the other boys now stay healthy in the international games, then they come back and we have three days to work together on that. It was the best pre-season we could have had because we cannot compare and nobody will give us a different one."
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #84: Sep 06, 2020 03:08:19 pm
      Good bit written about us over 2 pages in the Sunday Times today.
      They have this PL order prediction:
      1 - Liverpool
      2 - Citeh
      3 - Manure
      4 - Chavs
      And Souness writing an article about how to beat us :)
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #85: Sep 06, 2020 04:09:17 pm
      Good bit written about us over 2 pages in the Sunday Times today.
      They have this PL order prediction:
      1 - Liverpool
      2 - Citeh
      3 - Manure
      4 - Chavs
      And Souness writing an article about how to beat us :)

Some disinformation from Souness I hope ;-)
      Kopite78
      Reply #86: Sep 06, 2020 04:20:35 pm
      Some disinformation from Souness I hope ;-)

Souey F***ing loves us, but hes paid to answer questions

Whatever he says isnt really going to have an impact on how teams approach us
      LiverpoolsFinest
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 183 posts | 36 
      Reply #87: Sep 06, 2020 05:57:25 pm
      If we are able to return to our pre lockdown form, then the only thing stopping us retaining the title will be how consistent City can be.

If we do not snap out of the malaise that has been all too apparent since the restart, we're gonna be competing against United, Chelsea & Arsenal for the Champions League places.
      Kopite78
      Reply #88: Sep 06, 2020 06:02:35 pm
      If we are able to return to our pre lockdown form, then the only thing stopping us retaining the title will be how consistent City can be.

If we do not snap out of the malaise that has been all too apparent since the restart, we're gonna be competing against United, Chelsea & Arsenal for the Champions League places.

Our record post lockdown was
      W 4
      D 2
      L 2

Arsenal we should have beat
      City we were pissed
      Burnley we should have won
      Everton we should have won

All that considered we had enough points to win it before lockdown
      We will be fine, Jürgen will have us firing I have no doubt about it

Some fans dont understand how good this group of players are and how lucky we are right now
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #89: Sep 06, 2020 09:23:17 pm
      And Souness writing an article about how to beat us

Knowing how to beat us is one thing, actually being successful is a different task entirely.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #90: Sep 06, 2020 10:51:06 pm
      Knowing how to beat us is one thing, actually being successful is a different task entirely.

To quote Mike Tyson at the height of his heavyweight boxing dominance, when told that an opponent had a plan for beating him:

"Everybody has a plan until I punch them in the nose."

CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #91: Sep 07, 2020 02:01:48 am
      Don’t see why we wouldn’t be favored to hold onto the title. We haven’t lost anyone and basically the entire starting 11 is in their prime. Others have improved on paper, yes, but there was such a huge gap between us and the rest that it has been reduced but not overpassed. We are still the team to beat and Keita / Minamino look like they could be huge this season.

Quick Reply