Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Predictions For The Coming Season

Read 11967 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Predictions For The Coming Season
      Aug 31, 2020 10:35:26 pm
      Just finished watching that documentary and my heart and mind are both racing. There's no culture like this club's culture.

What are your predictions for this season?

I've been following the discussion on here and on Twitter about possible transfers and the idea of "strengthening" and our financial situation and current transfer policy.

I don't know what the club will do in the coming weeks but here is what I do know:

We have put together the greatest back-to-back seasons points-wise in Premier League history. The team managed to overcome the strong disappointment of performing so well in 2018-19 yet missing out on a title, by simply doing it again in 2019-20 and cruising to a title. Now all of the most significant players from those two seasons are back for another run at a title. The players are young enough, with some promising reenforcements from the youth setup.

Yes, other teams have brought in some good players, but again, we beat all of those teams like a drum last season. Some performance letdown when the title was all but won, not withstanding, there is no reason to get nervous just because other teams are trying to reach our level of performance.

I am not afraid of any of them. We just put together an incredible season and that should buoy our confidence against any threat. Whatever the club's management decide to do with transfers, etc. in coming weeks, we have every reason to be confident for the coming season. While we all like to see top players join the club, transfers can't be viewed in a vacuum. Jürgen does things in a different way. Such moves are only desired if they fit into the greater system/ethos/plan. As I say, I don't know if we will bring  more players in or if others will leave, but there is no "we must" in that discussion. It's supposed to be a challenge to win great things and it will be, but I haven't forgotten what we've witnessed, particularly over these past two seasons.

I really like our chances to win again, as well as compete for honors in Europe. What do you all expect from the coming season?

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Predictions For The Coming Season
      Reply #1: Aug 31, 2020 10:54:21 pm
      It depends if we make any signings, if we do then 1st, if not then 2nd.

I think we'll have a good run at CL again.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #2: Aug 31, 2020 11:38:28 pm
      It would be terrific to win the Premier league two seasons on the run, quite possible under Jürgen Klopp, especially with a couple of signings !
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #3: Aug 31, 2020 11:58:27 pm
      It depends if we make any signings, if we do then 1st, if not then 2nd.

I think we'll have a good run at CL again.

Why is winning dependent on signing somebody (else) new?

How do you put the arbitrary value of some new signing on our chances, when we we've been so dominant over the past season?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #4: Sep 01, 2020 12:15:15 am
      Why is winning dependent on signing somebody (else) new?

How do you put the arbitrary value of some new signing on our chances, when we we've been so dominant over the past season?

Because I see City and Chelsea strengthening whilst we stand still, we are vulnerable to injuries, especially to our forwards.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #5: Sep 01, 2020 12:40:45 am
      I’m worried without added cover we won’t make it through the season unscathed by injuries, yet we beat a good Barca side without our 3 main strikers. Feeling better about that.
      Will we still have the mental drive to get those late late winners again, or will our luck desert us.
      Will Mo and Bob find that top form again. If not we don’t have a similar quality replacement.
      Will we regain that interactive team spirit, or will we be distracted by the golden boot.
      Will we have a plan B against the bus parkers as sides seem to favour that tactic against us now.
      How long will we retain a 100% record or go undefeated, and will an early defeat disrupt and unsettle the mentality monsters !
      So much to hold together, and so much that can go wrong.

I think we’ll struggle to repeat last seasons run away win, but we’ll be in the mix that’s for sure.
      It could possibly hinge on our home and away results against our main competitors, And the continued beating of the also rans. 
      All the other top 6 / 8 sides are more likely to have car crash results, as long as individually we can stay focussed and determined.
      It’s on, but it’s gonna be tougher and a tad closer this season.
      We just need to hit the ground running and take one game at a time, get the three points and move on.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #6: Sep 01, 2020 01:15:12 am
      I doubt any team will finish on 95+ points this year, I think just the way things are at the minute, and the potential disruptions to rhythm with everything that's going on that the team who finishes first will probably have between 80 & 90 pts.

I'd have us as slight favourites to win it but as I say, there's so much uncertainty so you never know. Very confident that we'll be involved in some sort of a title race at the very least.

It's funny (given its the best Liverpool side in my life time) because I've never been less excited about a season than I am this one, just struggling to get used to the closed door setting. Couldn't get fully up for our games post restart because I was already sure we'd won the league and was just waiting for the inevitable, so maybe once the new season starts the matches will feel a bit more competitive.

Also feels weird looking to a new season & knowing there's a possibility you won't be in the stadium to witness a minute of it. Half of me is just wanting it to be done with as soon as possible so we can hopefully go back to full normality for the 21-22 season
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #7: Sep 01, 2020 01:32:17 am
      I fancy our chances of picking up one of the big 2 whether that be the league or big ears.  So far we have been on a steep curve up can it go any higher?  I am confident think the squad and Manager are ready for the challenge.  I believe that we will sign a player or two but am confident regardless.  Klopp on a roll he has everything suss out at the moment. 
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #8: Sep 01, 2020 01:36:33 am
      Because I see City and Chelsea strengthening whilst we stand still, we are vulnerable to injuries, especially to our forwards.

OK. I still don't see how that amounts to a 2nd place (are you saying City, or Chelsea will beat us?).

Seems like Minamino is starting to look more the player we were excited about buying last January, so that is certainly some additional depth at forward. I'm encouraged by Brewster as well, although it's possible he will be loaned out.

Of course buying Thiago isn't going to change our forward situation so again, not sure how A equals B in this case.

Both of those teams really needed to strengthen by the way, because over the course of the season we battered them - better by 18 and 33 points respectively, even with a late season letdown due to winning the title being a foregone conclusion. Those are astounding margins.

We are really, REALLY good.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #9: Sep 01, 2020 01:42:40 am
      I’m worried without added cover we won’t make it through the season unscathed by injuries, yet we beat a good Barca side without our 3 main strikers. Feeling better about that.
      Will we still have the mental drive to get those late late winners again, or will our luck desert us.
      Will Mo and Bob find that top form again. If not we don’t have a similar quality replacement.
      Will we regain that interactive team spirit, or will we be distracted by the golden boot.
      Will we have a plan B against the bus parkers as sides seem to favour that tactic against us now.
      How long will we retain a 100% record or go undefeated, and will an early defeat disrupt and unsettle the mentality monsters !
      So much to hold together, and so much that can go wrong.

I think we’ll struggle to repeat last seasons run away win, but we’ll be in the mix that’s for sure.
      It could possibly hinge on our home and away results against our main competitors, And the continued beating of the also rans. 
      All the other top 6 / 8 sides are more likely to have car crash results, as long as individually we can stay focussed and determined.
      It’s on, but it’s gonna be tougher and a tad closer this season.
      We just need to hit the ground running and take one game at a time, get the three points and move on.

Good post. I think we did get a preview of a new tactical tweak (call it Plan B if you want) in the 2nd half vs. Arsenal when Bobby moved back to an attacking mid role, in front of Gini and Naby. We've played 4-2-3-1 before but in this case it was Taki playing out left and Sadio on the right. No doubt we'll continue to see teams try to bunker in because most team know there's no way they can play with us barring some kind of sorcery or phenomenal cosmic events.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #10: Sep 01, 2020 01:47:39 am
      I doubt any team will finish on 95+ points this year, I think just the way things are at the minute, and the potential disruptions to rhythm with everything that's going on that the team who finishes first will probably have between 80 & 90 pts.

I'd have us as slight favourites to win it but as I say, there's so much uncertainty so you never know. Very confident that we'll be involved in some sort of a title race at the very least.

It's funny (given its the best Liverpool side in my life time) because I've never been less excited about a season than I am this one, just struggling to get used to the closed door setting. Couldn't get fully up for our games post restart because I was already sure we'd won the league and was just waiting for the inevitable, so maybe once the new season starts the matches will feel a bit more competitive.

Also feels weird looking to a new season & knowing there's a possibility you won't be in the stadium to witness a minute of it. Half of me is just wanting it to be done with as soon as possible so we can hopefully go back to full normality for the 21-22 season

Another good post. Agree the winning points total will almost certainly be lower than the past two seasons. Also agree it should be a very competitive title race.

It sounds to me like we should see fans returning to the grounds by October (obviously barring some repeat outbreak). I'm not sure what the actual  schedule will be for phasing in attendance, but I think it will only be about a month before we start hearing some authentic crowd noise at matches. I really hope so, because as you say, it's just not quite the same without it.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #11: Sep 01, 2020 09:27:10 am
      The Champions of Everything will win everything again !!
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #12: Sep 01, 2020 09:34:01 am
      out of all the top teams in England, we are the most settled and most confident. We are champions ffs, We have been practically unbeatable with this squad for 2 or 3 seasons, majority of the squad are at there peak or even entering there peak.

I get the worry about some injuries, which I agree can hinder any team in a league campaign, jeez, we already have matip, ox, hendo, trent all out during pre-season, but they will all be back fit for start of season.

People worry about the front 3 getting injured, if you paid attention, the LFC model for buying players is to get guys that re pretty sturdy and dont get injured much, and luckily this season, I fancy klopp will rotate a bit more, now taki & Naby are settled into the squad and looking very very good. Tactics may change too, dont be surprised to see us play in different formations this season.

All the chat about other teams adding players, only means those players need time to Gel, settle etc.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #13: Sep 01, 2020 10:28:45 am
      OK. I still don't see how that amounts to a 2nd place (are you saying City, or Chelsea will beat us?).

Seems like Minamino is starting to look more the player we were excited about buying last January, so that is certainly some additional depth at forward. I'm encouraged by Brewster as well, although it's possible he will be loaned out.

Of course buying Thiago isn't going to change our forward situation so again, not sure how A equals B in this case.

Both of those teams really needed to strengthen by the way, because over the course of the season we battered them - better by 18 and 33 points respectively, even with a late season letdown due to winning the title being a foregone conclusion. Those are astounding margins.

We are really, REALLY good.

Yes we beat City by a big margin last season but the season before they were our equal and in all reality they still are, its just that everything went right for us last season whilst they had some stumbles, don't let the final points totals fool you.

Having said that Man City have a horrendous start to the season, almost all the way into December they hardly play any easy fixtures so if we are to win it again we need to build up a good lead on them as they'll have a very nice run-in. The other team I'll be very interested to keep an eye on is Chelsea, they have a super easy start, apart from playing us, so they could easily be in the lead after the first month or two, it depends how the new players gel.

As I've said before if we can Thiago and Sarr/Traore then I think we win again, if not then we'll need to be lucky with injuries to retain the title.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #14: Sep 01, 2020 11:37:41 am
      people forgetting how bad all of our competition are at the back. ?

They were all awful at the back for most of the season. City lost 9 league games mostly down to theyre defence, they have tried to fix that with 1 bournmouth player.

Chelsea had the worst record out of all the top 6 in defence, they have made some decent signings, but still they all need to play together that takes time.

Man U, slab head  :lmao:

Cant even be arsed talking about the rest.

The league will be closer yes, but I  personally think its there for the taking for us again, especially if we hit the ground running, while all the other teams new players settle in.

Up the reds.

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #15: Sep 01, 2020 11:43:06 am
      We do not need to sign anyone to win the league, just winning mentality.

League Cup and League winners.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #16: Sep 01, 2020 02:37:43 pm
      I predict we will have a CB crisis before Xmas.

For me, it will depend on 2 things. Firstly injuries. Any injury to Virgil or our front 3, especially medium to long term will hurt us as we have no cover.

Secondly will be our ability to grind out wins and whether that comes to the fore. We never looked like blowing teams away last season and won alot of games late or by just 1 goal. If we can do the same this season, and lose no more than 2 games we will go close for sure.

Roll on Leeds.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #17: Sep 01, 2020 03:29:08 pm
      Quote from Robby The Z
      Another good post. Agree the winning points total will almost certainly be lower than the past two seasons. Also agree it should be a very competitive title race.

It sounds to me like we should see fans returning to the grounds by October (obviously barring some repeat outbreak). I'm not sure what the actual  schedule will be for phasing in attendance, but I think it will only be about a month before we start hearing some authentic crowd noise at matches. I really hope so, because as you say, it's just not quite the same without it.

We got an idea of what fans coming back means and looks like in Salzburg. If you watch how France is doing it atm, that's more or less how it will operate in our league.

The nearest opponent finished 18 points behind us last season. If we finish 1 point ahead of them in May, we will equal the title record. The rest are not contenders, if you can't amass 95+ points, then you can't win the league these days. It's that simple.

Hopefully we'll be able to challenge on other fronts also. There's a long gap since our last FA Cup win, so the importance of winning it again grows as the years go by. Hopefully we'll get a nice few draws in Europe also to reach the quarter finals, and we can take it from there.

Will the bus parade happen for last season? It's September now, so I don't think so. If not, it should give the players more motivation to retain the title, so we can have a bigger parade to look forward to the end of the season.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #18: Sep 01, 2020 05:06:40 pm
      Who knows with the threat of covid still hanging around
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #19: Sep 01, 2020 09:19:00 pm
      It was hard to win it this season, it will be even harder next season, but with Jürgen Klopp in charge anything is possible, we all know of course how important it is to hit the ground running, if you fall behind at the very start of the season, it's almost impossible to catch up, especially with the standard of the teams around us.

Like others have said, injuries could be a problem, but I'm hoping we have a big enough  squad to cover and it will give some of the fringe players a chance to step up and blossom under Klopp and with the support of the other first teamers to guide them through.

Obviously I'd love us to win the league again and I'm 100% certain we will be there or thereabouts as well as the Champions League but I really would love us to win the FA Cup, it's been far too long since we held it aloft, it would also give Jordan and the boys a complete set of trophies.

Whatever happens, Jürgen and the team will have my undying support, hoping to see fans back inside Anfield whenever it is safe to do so, just done the tour of the ground only two weeks ago and I can't wait to get back on the KOP singing my little heart out and feeling that buzz as You'll never walk alone is played.

Bring it on, we're ready to take anyone on especially at Fortress Anfield.

YNWA

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #20: Sep 01, 2020 10:00:22 pm
      I’d be surprised if we were to hit near on 100 points again, but then I thought that a year ago too.

Big part for next season will be if we are switched on and focussed, since February we’ve had far too many lapses in concentration and let in far too many sloppy goals so if we are going to retain the league then we need to make sure we put a stop to that again.
      In terms of an overall prediction for the league, it’s very hard to say, I think a lot will depend on whether or not the teams that are signing players can get their teams to adjust or not. I’d like to think we will run away with it again but realistically thinking, I doubt it will happen. Playing behind closed doors obviously impacts on every team but with us I think we maybe feel it a bit more than others as we are a team that very much feeds off the crowd and it’s part of what makes Anfield so difficult for visiting teams.
      I think if we are to be in with a shot of retaining the title then we will have a good idea of that by around late October/early November. Vital we avoid injuries, sharpen up defensively and start becoming as clinical as we know the attack can be.

I’d hope we will have a much better Champions League run this time, last season we went out far too early and in a way that leaves somewhat of a bitter memory.

League Cup I couldn’t give a toss about, the way they showed us no respect or gave us any support with the game against Villa was a disgrace and I’d of happily seen the club tell them to stick it next season.

FA Cup, it’s Klopp’s biggest downfall as manager so far, our FA Cup runs simply haven’t been good enough. 2006 was the last time we won it, that’s far too long ago now.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #21: Sep 01, 2020 10:05:37 pm
      Could be wrong like who cares if I am but I think we win the league comfortably again (as things stand with Messi NOT at city). Just feel as long as they continue to have no leaders while we have leaders in the team who don’t  even need to be in the starting XI every week to lead we win it again. If they sign messi then we’ll be in a title race similar to 18/19. Messi alone lifts that whole squad and creates a huge buzz in that dressing room, he’s the greatest player of all time.

I’d like to see us perform better in Europe this season than we did last season even though we played great in the second leg against atletico it was just a ‘sh*t happens’ game.

Also I’d like to see us perform better at grounds like Goodison and Old Trafford. Klopp shows too much respect to both of them at their place. Neither are on our level, I wanna win at those grounds.

redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #22: Sep 01, 2020 10:21:53 pm
      As genral consenses thinks, I might think that JK has an other plan. Teams are goona park the bus, and we get them on the break.  There is only one way, this season, in my mind, is go Genga agian,and over power teams so they on the back foot. The last two years we have seen us been the most prolific side to the best defensive. we need both.

Quick Reply