Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Predictions For The Coming Season

Read 11970 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Re: Predictions For The Coming Season
      Reply #23: Sep 02, 2020 01:15:57 am
      97 points, FA Cup, Big Ears and Premier League title.

Jürgen to prove me wrong that we need a couple signings, as we won’t make any more transfers.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #24: Sep 02, 2020 01:53:34 am
      Anything is possible with this Team and with Jürgen at the helm!
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #25: Sep 02, 2020 02:11:19 am
      Based on the squad we currently have I think we get high 80's in points in the season and we make it to one cup final in either League, FA or UCL.

We will be fighting for the title but missing extra tiny bit of motivation we had last year when we missed winning the title will play a part I think.
      « Last Edit: Sep 02, 2020 02:17:55 am by adammac »
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #26: Sep 02, 2020 05:44:05 am
      i think we'll win the league again!!! we play like hard bas**rds who set the tempo and leave the opponent chasing all f**king game like last season and we'll win the league again
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #27: Sep 02, 2020 11:49:15 am
      Unless we tweak our tactics a bit I think we will struggle, and by struggle I mean miss out on winning the league, we might even come third behind Chelsea
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #28: Sep 02, 2020 12:35:36 pm
      Anything is possible with this Team and with Jürgen at the helm!

Exactly. We know what we need to do to win the league.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #29: Sep 02, 2020 12:59:32 pm
      I really like our chances to win again, as well as compete for honors in Europe. What do you all expect from the coming season?

I can completely understand not needing to strengthen last summer.  I think it might be a big mistake not to do so now.

It's always harder to defend a title, as we found out even in the Champions League.

My biggest concern is that while we played amazing football for the first half of the season I've not been blow away by many performances since the end of January.  I hope they knew the league was done and that's the reason.

Confident of more silverware but I do have some doubts that I hope disappear after our first four or five games.

I wonder how many people on here are confident we will surpass last year's points total, for instance?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #30: Sep 02, 2020 01:25:47 pm
      I can completely understand not needing to strengthen last summer.  I think it might be a big mistake not to do so now.

It's always harder to defend a title, as we found out even in the Champions League.

My biggest concern is that while we played amazing football for the first half of the season I've not been blow away by many performances since the end of January.  I hope they knew the league was done and that's the reason.

Confident of more silverware but I do have some doubts that I hope disappear after our first four or five games.

I wonder how many people on here are confident we will surpass last year's points total, for instance?

I don't think we'll surpass last seasons points, but I do think we'll be right up there at the end.

We know how to win.
      We know how to grind out a result, and we are relentless.
      We can score from our own box to theirs in seconds.
      We can play the pressure game high up.
      And now we have experience and know we can win it.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #31: Sep 02, 2020 02:12:28 pm
      We play Blackpool at Anfield this Saturday at 3 p.m. GMT. Last match before the season starts properly. The back line for this game will be especially young, think Hoever, Phillips, Koumetio and the very young James Milner.  :)

That's my Saturday morning sorted then.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #32: Sep 02, 2020 02:14:18 pm
      We play Blackpool at Anfield this Saturday at 3 p.m. GMT. Last match before the season starts properly. The back line for this game will be especially young, think Hoever, Phillips, Koumetio and the very young James Milner.  :)

I read Phillips will be sold possibly this week. Milly might have to play CB.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #33: Sep 02, 2020 02:16:11 pm

Nat Phillips is getting towards 24, I wouldn’t class him as a young player now.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #34: Sep 02, 2020 02:36:47 pm

No, I'd say his ceiling is about Martin Kelly at this point. Decent, but never going to be a bang on starter (with us) and likely needs a change of scenery.
      Kopite78
      Reply #35: Sep 02, 2020 02:37:59 pm
      No, I'd say his ceiling is about Martin Kelly at this point. Decent, but never going to be a bang on starter (with us) and likely needs a change of scenery.

He definitely has a level which truth be told isnt right at the top.

He lack the pace and on the ball ability to make it right at the top of the game

Will do a very good job for a lot of teams though
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #36: Sep 02, 2020 03:51:24 pm
      I think we'll win the league by a big margin again as we we're miles better than any other team and they all won't be able to buy the distance in this window imo. Win the league by 10 points and there abouts in the CL. Think we could win the caraboa cup also. It's our turn.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #37: Sep 02, 2020 07:20:01 pm
      Reckon it'll be between us and Citeh again.
      Aguero's another year older, and Jesus is hot and cold, so that's good.
      Silva's gone, along with Sane.
      Not sure who they'll sign, though 40mill for Ake is a fair bit, and not sure how he'll perform at the very top. Foden looks a player
      Tthey finished last season v strong.
      We've lost Lallana and the future captain, signed an unknown FB.
      But also have the option to hang onto Brewster, Grujic, Wilson.
      Can't see us sign Thiago unless Gini leaves and that's not definite.
      With Lovren gone, would like to sign a 3rd/4th choice CB, someone who can do a job for a period of time if needed.
      And maybe we go get an attacking mid to push the front 3, be there in case one gets injured.
      If Brewster stays though, maybe he could fill in - or Minamino - but hard to know what Jürgen will look to do.
      On balance, would fancy us again, but it's a loooong season and anything can happen.
      We still have Jürgen though and a very talented squad, so here's hoping for another good one.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #38: Sep 02, 2020 07:33:17 pm

I don't think we'll pass last year's total but I also don't think whoever wins the title will need that many.

I think we'll be in the conversation right to the end, and while I agree that it'll be more difficult to defend the title, I see us winning it again this season.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #39: Sep 02, 2020 07:37:34 pm

Fair enough. Inexperienced (at top flight) is a better description than young.

That would mean Sepp Van den Berg and Billy as the center backs - now THAT is young.

I reckon we could win 9-8 (so long as there is no extra time added).
      rossyred

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #40: Sep 02, 2020 07:55:41 pm
      Going to be tougher and see points total being lower than previous. Teams getting stronger and some good signings whilst we at the moment stay relatively the same . I then think well we won at  a canter so need to improve . But there is something just niggling me that wont go away whether it is our form at the end of season which wasnt great or was that due to the fact we had already won it . No matter what happens players will lose a touch of fire due to finally overcoming the drought and has history shows very difficult  to retain any title. If we are in the mix going into NY and in group stages of Champs league then will be happy with that
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #41: Sep 02, 2020 10:56:03 pm
      Going to be tougher and see points total being lower than previous. Teams getting stronger and some good signings whilst we at the moment stay relatively the same . I then think well we won at  a canter so need to improve . But there is something just niggling me that wont go away whether it is our form at the end of season which wasnt great or was that due to the fact we had already won it . No matter what happens players will lose a touch of fire due to finally overcoming the drought and has history shows very difficult  to retain any title. If we are in the mix going into NY and in group stages of Champs league then will be happy with that

One that strikes me about this, and I appreciate your comments, is that the "finally" aspect to winning the league is much more to do with the supporters than it is the players. A few players have been here more than 5 seasons, but not many. Supporters have been waiting for decades and so there is naturally a sense of relief at winning, but the players have relatively short careers and the proper ones will maintain their dedication with the new season. So while at the end of a season there was a bit of a letdown when it was evident the job was done (plus the dynamic of coming back from the lockdown), it shouldn't affect their drive for the coming season. I mean, a player could take that approach, but it wouldn't bode well for their future marketability as a footballer as teams want players who return top effort for the investment they are making in their bank account. Jürgen in particular seems to  make commitment and effort a major attribute when evaluating who he wants to bring in. His system works so well in part because of who he brings in to execute it.

All that to say the players should prove to us from the first week that it is business as usual when it comes to pursuing our goals. Take heart, Reds! We're still the Mentality Monsters!  :)
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #42: Sep 02, 2020 11:15:16 pm
      All that to say the players should prove to us from the first week that it is business as usual when it comes to pursuing our goals. Take heart, Reds! We're still the Mentality Monsters!

Thats what I wanted to hear
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #43: Sep 02, 2020 11:23:54 pm
      We need to forget about 'we are defending the title' and need to start like its gotta be 100% every match from everyone, and its a NEW target, a NEW competition, and we start as focussed and determined as we did last season. Heavy metal football from the ordinary one.
      And we'll win it again.
      rossyred

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #44: Sep 03, 2020 07:59:11 am
      One that strikes me about this, and I appreciate your comments, is that the "finally" aspect to winning the league is much more to do with the supporters than it is the players. A few players have been here more than 5 seasons, but not many. Supporters have been waiting for decades and so there is naturally a sense of relief at winning, but the players have relatively short careers and the proper ones will maintain their dedication with the new season. So while at the end of a season there was a bit of a letdown when it was evident the job was done (plus the dynamic of coming back from the lockdown), it shouldn't affect their drive for the coming season. I mean, a player could take that approach, but it wouldn't bode well for their future marketability as a footballer as teams want players who return top effort for the investment they are making in their bank account. Jürgen in particular seems to  make commitment and effort a major attribute when evaluating who he wants to bring in. His system works so well in part because of who he brings in to execute it.

All that to say the players should prove to us from the first week that it is business as usual when it comes to pursuing our goals. Take heart, Reds! We're still the Mentality Monsters!  :)

Not saying players are going to down tools or take foot of gas per se but when you have won something that has been coveted for so long naturally and without realisation the next time is harder for so many different reasons or as you say it can have impact where the greed to win again is evident which I am sure Klopp will be trying to sustain within the team
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #45: Sep 03, 2020 09:00:46 am
      Not saying players are going to down tools or take foot of gas per se but when you have won something that has been coveted for so long naturally and without realisation the next time is harder for so many different reasons or as you say it can have impact where the greed to win again is evident which I am sure Klopp will be trying to sustain within the team

but the point is that from the players perspective the title hasn't been coveted for that long, a lot of fans make the mistake of assuming players think like us fans, they don't, they may profess to love the club, but very very few of them do to the same level as us.  For the players this is just a new season and a new opportunity to win silverware and honours.

Quick Reply