Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Predictions For The Coming Season

Read 11988 times
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Re: Predictions For The Coming Season
      Reply #46: Sep 03, 2020 10:11:42 am
      Unless we tweak our tactics a bit I think we will struggle, and by struggle I mean miss out on winning the league, we might even come third behind Chelsea

WTF ? !

Better call Jürgen with your tactical advice then ...
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #47: Sep 03, 2020 10:32:15 am
      Naturally you'd expect a big response from City, and perhaps one of United, Chelsea etc. to make it a three horse race. As ever we focus on ourselves and the fact is our consistency over the last two years has been incredible. If we go above 95+ points again it really will be a phenomenal achievement. It's going to be extremely difficult to do and I don't think it'll have anything to do with lack of effort or drive if we don't pull it off, it's just the way football goes. Winning as consistently as we've done over the last two seasons is rare and doing it for three years in a row would be historical. Should be an exciting season, and a lot closer than last time.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #48: Sep 03, 2020 03:12:20 pm
      WTF ? !

Better call Jürgen with your tactical advice then ...

No need, Lijnders is already discussing it with him. Have you perhaps not noticed how we struggle against a low block, how by marking our fullbacks almost 100% of our attacks are neutralised.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #49: Sep 03, 2020 04:20:49 pm
      Unless Salah finds his better form and Firmino becomes more reliable, I think we'll have a very difficult season. Our weakness was losing points to the top 5/6 2 seasons ago, and since they have considerably improved, I guess we'll lose points against them.

I really think that the front 3 needs to have better cover if not a challenger.

I think we have better chances to win the Champions League.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #50: Sep 03, 2020 04:44:34 pm
      I think the quicker we have the 12th man back in the stadium the better our season is going to be.   With Jürgen transferring all the passion from the fans to the players.  The fact that the 5 subs didn't work in our favour too.  Apparently they are having another meeting about that too.  Personally I like the idea of having 5 subs it gives a chances to our fringe players but felt last season it contributed to our dip in form.  Which is better? 3 or 5?

Kopite78
      Reply #51: Sep 03, 2020 04:55:02 pm
      I think the quicker we have the 12th man back in the stadium the better our season is going to be.   With Jürgen transferring all the passion from the fans to the players.  The fact that the 5 subs didn't work in our favour too.  Apparently they are having another meeting about that too.  Personally I like the idea of having 5 subs it gives a chances to our fringe players but felt last season it contributed to our dip in form.  Which is better? 3 or 5?

Personally I'm not keen on the 5 subs, with that and the water stops it breaks up and rhythm and momentum you build up

Much prefer 3 subs myself from.a tactical and rhythm point of view
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #52: Sep 03, 2020 05:20:52 pm
      No need, Lijnders is already discussing it with him. Have you perhaps not noticed how we struggle against a low block, how by marking our fullbacks almost 100% of our attacks are neutralised.

Of course every team in every league has to pay attention to its tactics, the tactics of opponents, match situations, etc. We've been doing that all along and Ljinders' comments this summer weren't saying "OH, we've been found out. Now we have to think of something different."

It's not as if we've bombed on for two seasons and then it suddenly dawned on some opposing manager "Right, maybe we should mark their fullbacks" and then, "Well what do you know, pressuring the players who provide service helps our defensive effort" followed by other managers watching games and exclaiming "OI! Look what XXX are doing, they are MARKING the fullbacks."

Every game, every season is a constant evolution of moving pieces, nuances, all heavily impacted by the performance of the players carrying out their respective duties. It's totally liquid.

When an opposing team overloads defensively it will make it more difficult to score, and it tends to make it more difficult for that team to score. Nothing new under the sun.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #53: Sep 03, 2020 05:24:20 pm
      Personally I'm not keen on the 5 subs, with that and the water stops it breaks up and rhythm and momentum you build up

Agree on the 5 subs, although it sounds like Jürgen wants to bring it back for the sake of players' safety given the short close season. A few years agi, he came out against suggestions in Europe that teams have 11 substitutes named and that sort of thing. He has been criticized on here frequently for not subbing early or often enough ("Christian Benteke needs more than 8 minutes....!!!" - as it turns out he needed WAY longer than 8 minutes).

Thankfully I am not hearing anyone suggest to bring back the water break. That was almost as bad as not having supporters when it came to changing the game.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #54: Sep 03, 2020 05:25:11 pm
      Have spotted Henderson, Matip and Origi in training today form pics on the official site.

Hopefully all three can feature in Saturday's friendly.

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #55: Sep 03, 2020 07:25:09 pm
      EDIT ;    Is it Safe for me to come out of my Bunker yet ?  I don’t want to offend anyone, especially the lily             
                    livered amongst us. !
      ruthcity

• 6,868 posts | 1465 
      Reply #56: Sep 03, 2020 07:30:01 pm
      I don't think we have to play overwhelmingly good football for the whole season. Just pick up more three points than the other teams over the next 38 games or so. That's all I care. Scrappy, VAR, lucky or well earned three points, I'll take them all. A "we almost lost it" three points is as good as good as the three points earned from "thrashing our opponents". They are all the same. It's about our ability to pick up more points at a faster rate than the 19 other teams. If the squad can do that, it is already a strong squad. Apart from just skill, knowing how to secure three points is also an art.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #57: Sep 03, 2020 07:37:40 pm

Yeah missed the Water break that is a real nuisance!
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #58: Sep 03, 2020 07:38:48 pm
      Quote from 7-King Kenny-7
      Playing behind closed doors obviously impacts on every team but with us I think we maybe feel it a bit more than others as we are a team that very much feeds off the crowd

Nobody ever explains why that is. We had a full crowd against Atletico and Napoli last season. We didn't win either game. On the other hand, we are unbeaten for 3,5 years at home in the league and won most of our behind closed doors games at home last season, scoring lots of goals. So I don't understand what exactly the problem with our game is.

We all want crowds back obviously, it's depressing seeing the place empty, but saying that we need a crowd to get the job done, is something that baffles me. Every team is in the same boat.

Looking at the other responses in this thread, it seems a fair number have backtracked from believers to doubters. We were top of the league after each game we played last season, and won it by 18 points. I can't say if we will win the league, but I can't see any reason why we won't win a similar number of points as the past two seasons.
      ruthcity

• 6,868 posts | 1465 
      Reply #59: Sep 03, 2020 08:02:17 pm
      Nobody ever explains why that is. We had a full crowd against Atletico and Napoli last season. We didn't win either game. On the other hand, we are unbeaten for 3,5 years at home in the league and won most of our behind closed doors games at home last season, scoring lots of goals. So I don't understand what exactly the problem with our game is.

We all want crowds back obviously, it's depressing seeing the place empty, but saying that we need a crowd to get the job done, is something that baffles me. Every team is in the same boat.

Looking at the other responses in this thread, it seems a fair number have backtracked from believers to doubters. We were top of the league after each game we played last season, and won it by 18 points. I can't say if we will win the league, but I can't see any reason why we won't win a similar number of points as the past two seasons.

Ah, because other teams have strengthened. And Nathan Ake became a world class defender overnight. I fear for our squad. I fear Nathan Ake will do damage against us this season. Timo Werner as well and whole host of new players joining other teams except ours. The way we scrapped past teams and all the VAR help? I fear we'd drop points and not win it this season again. Hopeless me. I'm walking on without hope in my heart. I may as well cross Stanley Park.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #60: Sep 03, 2020 08:30:04 pm

"playing without fans affects us more than it affects other teams" DOES NOT EQUAL "we can't get the job done without fans."
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #61: Sep 03, 2020 09:46:28 pm

From a tactical point of view the more subs the better, just ask Jürgen, agree on the water breaks being rubbish.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #62: Sep 03, 2020 10:18:27 pm

Usual lack of understanding from you. See below quote from somebody who does understand things.

"playing without fans affects us more than it affects other teams" DOES NOT EQUAL "we can't get the job done without fans."

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #63: Sep 03, 2020 10:25:27 pm

Glad it got voted out today, like you I also prefer 3

Going off summer signings looking like City - Pool - Chavs. Lampard now has the players but has he got what it takes or is he another Ole at the wheel?

Looking like a exciting season though. If Messi comes to England will re assess
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #64: Sep 04, 2020 12:49:45 am
      We’ll be right up there again, the important thing is to be challenging fir the title and if we up there with 19 games you’d fancy our chances. There’s no doubt Chelsea have strengthened big time, bizarrely they haven’t bought a keeper which is their biggest need but they should be much stronger if Silva can settle quickly into the English game. City will be smarting after last season but I still think they will be susceptible to poor defending and the occasional 1-0 upset. The mancs finished last season strongly scoring more and conceding less than anyone over the segment of the season. I think I they will be up there and I’ve been really impressed with the impact of Arteta at Arsenal. Hopefully our transfer isn’t five yet, it’s great to have consistency and continuity I. The squad but too dudes needs some churn every summer.
      Harrisimo

• 7,970 posts | 1355 
      Reply #65: Sep 04, 2020 07:11:37 pm
      Think it will be much tighter this season, nobody will be surprised at that tho. Be the usual suspects in contention. Wouldn't mind if we got to the turn of the year neatly placed within 4/5 points or so. If we don't add to our goal threat significantly, keeping everybody fit will be crucial.

Go Chelsea 4th and Us and the Mancheater mobs fighting over the top 3.
      Kopite78
      Reply #66: Sep 04, 2020 07:13:16 pm
      Think it will be much tighter this season, nobody will be surprised at that tho. Be the usual suspects in contention. Wouldn't mind if we got to the turn of the year neatly placed within 4/5 points or so. If we don't add to our goal threat significantly, keeping everybody fit will be crucial.

Go Chelsea 4th and Us and the Mancheater mobs fighting over the top 3.

I'm still gathering my thoughts over the season to be honest but one thing I'm sure of is utd are still a long way off is and Citeh
      Harrisimo

• 7,970 posts | 1355 
      Reply #67: Sep 04, 2020 07:23:48 pm
      From a tactical point of view the more subs the better, just ask Jürgen, agree on the water breaks being rubbish.

Water breaks will be at the Refs discretion..bout 25 & 75mins...

....Salah has a clear run...just the keeper to beat,he must scor....*whistle.. :f_whistle:..."water break...everybody off.."
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #68: Sep 04, 2020 09:10:44 pm
      I think we'll have another 90+ point season.  Most of our squad is in its prime, and I dont see any reason we aren't right near the top of the pile in 10 months. 

I think we'll win at least 1 trophy from either the League, CL, or FA Cup. 

Mo will finish with 25+ league goals and win the PotY award.

Jürgen will win MotY again. 

TAA will get 15 assists and 5 goals from free kicks. 

Quick Reply