Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Georginio Wijnaldum (Barça / Bayern Munich)

Read 24769 times
      smurftheburn
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 589 posts | 28 
      Georginio Wijnaldum (Barça / Bayern Munich)
      Sep 06, 2020 10:16:07 am
      We all knew it was coming, but outlets are saying £15 million. Is there a reason we are willing to take a £10m loss on a player who now has extra career achievements including CL, PL, SC, WCC and multiple game-changing goals in CL?

https://liverpooloffside.sbnation.com/liverpool-fc-news-coverage/2020/9/6/21424748/liverpool-transfer-newsgini-wijnaldum-looks-increasingly-likely-to-join-barcelona-premier-league-epl
      « Last Edit: May 21, 2021 11:07:23 am by racerx34 »
      Kopite78
      Re: Georginio Wijnaldum (Barça)
      Reply #1: Sep 06, 2020 10:30:38 am
      Simon Mullock and Kevin Palmer

🤷‍♂️

I wont hold my breath that they have an in at the club
      smurftheburn
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 589 posts | 28 
      Reply #2: Sep 06, 2020 10:44:41 am
      I picked the first non-d*gshit article on Google. Widely reported.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #3: Sep 06, 2020 01:36:54 pm
      Pearce says we won’t take 15m. Too low. So there’s that.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #4: Sep 06, 2020 03:04:13 pm
      Teams making offers know if we hold onto him, he can go for free next year.
      Whether we stand firm on a price depends too on how bad they want him.
      Would miss Gini if he goes, solid pro, and maybe deserves a bit more credit for the role he has played for us.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #5: Sep 06, 2020 03:20:44 pm
      Pearce says we won’t take 15m. Too low. So there’s that.

I think that is too low.  Rather keep him and let them deal with agents.   Apparently that sort of figure is needed to get suarez out of the club.  It's funny that rumours have accelerated since Messi has advised to back the manager.  They are in a right mess. 
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #6: Sep 06, 2020 03:37:51 pm
      Anything between 15 and 25M in this market and I'll be happy. As much as I love Gini I don't want us to lose him for nothing. Other than him being on the last year of his contract I can see two other factors driving the down the price even more.

First, it's Barcelona. They are in a complete mess and apparently have financial problems which means they will lowball and not overpay like they used to in the past few years. Some might say its not our problem but it is because that's the club Gini wants to go to so you either negotiate with them or you keep him. Sure you could play the ''you need him'' card but that is dependent on how much they care about signing him this summer.

Second, the obvious one, pandemic time. Some clubs don't give a sh*t about it (your oil boys) but most clubs do and will try to bring the price down as much as possible during this uncertain time.

Kopite78
      Reply #7: Sep 06, 2020 04:04:17 pm
      Anything between 15 and 25M in this market and I'll be happy. As much as I love Gini I don't want us to lose him for nothing. Other than him being on the last year of his contract I can see two other factors driving the down the price even more.

First, it's Barcelona. They are in a complete mess and apparently have financial problems which means they will lowball and not overpay like they used to in the past few years. Some might say its not our problem but it is because that's the club Gini wants to go to so you either negotiate with them or you keep him. Sure you could play the ''you need him'' card but that is dependent on how much they care about signing him this summer.

Second, the obvious one, pandemic time. Some clubs don't give a sh*t about it (your oil boys) but most clubs do and will try to bring the price down as much as possible during this uncertain time.

Couldnt disagree more

The fact that Barca need quick wins and are a sh*t show currently plays into our hands

You either pay what we want or you dont get the good publicity you need for your fans and indeed your best player

No way they are in a good negotiation place as it stands
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #8: Sep 06, 2020 04:08:29 pm
      Couldnt disagree more

The fact that Barca need quick wins and are a sh*t show currently plays into our hands

You either pay what we want or you dont get the good publicity you need for your fans and indeed your best player

play to much hardball and you lose him on a free next summer, which is £15m less than you get for selling him now, plus a disgruntled player in the team for a season which is never good.
      Kopite78
      Reply #9: Sep 06, 2020 04:16:52 pm
      play to much hardball and you lose him on a free next summer, which is £15m less than you get for selling him now, plus a disgruntled player in the team for a season which is never good.

You're placing Gini's attitude levels along side your own

No way he drops half a % if he stays

Youd be sh*t at negotiations, youd sell at the first offer
      We essentially hold the cards here (as in low fee against f**k all against Klopp getting another year out of him)

You're ignoring the state of Barca here as well
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #10: Sep 06, 2020 05:21:19 pm

I imagine we'll already have been told the valuation of Thiago, so whatever we're asking for Gini will cover the incoming of Thiago.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #11: Sep 06, 2020 05:36:48 pm
      Couldnt disagree more

Barcelona don't need immediate wins. Most of the people supporting that club have already accepted that they have started a reconstruction process that will take more than one transfer window. Nobody is expecting them to win the league or the CL next year. Messi have already said that he is leaving next summer and that he is only staying this year because he doesn't wanna take the club to court in order to get his move.

All they need to do in this window and probably the next two is to slowly reconstruct their team in a smart way without splashing tons of cash at players they are going to play out of position and crap like that.

They are in a good negotiating position. The only thing playing against them is the known fact that Koeman wants him which is not a factor set in stone. He could turn around and say I don't need him to the point where we pay the price they ask if its not one we want to pay. They are not in dire need for Gini. Its a sh*t show with or without him in the team. I don't see what are the strings we could pull on, to play hardball here. Unless we are applying a ''pay the price asked or wait a year'' policy then I think they have the upper hand on this one.

Caveat: Michael Edwards is very good at his job so who knows. We might end up selling for a price that surprises us all.

Edit: When I say ''pay the price asked or wait a year'' policy I basically mean us not being bothered losing him on a free. If that's the case then sure we have the upper hand but I do wonder if that is indeed the case.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #12: Sep 06, 2020 05:37:26 pm
      You're placing Gini's attitude levels along side your own

No way he drops half a % if he stays

Youd be sh*t at negotiations, youd sell at the first offer
      We essentially hold the cards here (as in low fee against f**k all against Klopp getting another year out of him)

You're ignoring the state of Barca here as well

Exactly.

They want him, they pay what we want or he goes nowhere.

We will only sell if his valuation is met and I don't think we would be bothered about losing him on a free.
      rossyred

• 9,093 posts | 1632 
      Reply #13: Sep 06, 2020 05:50:23 pm
      Exactly.

They want him, they pay what we want or he goes nowhere.

We will only sell if his valuation is met and I don't think we would be bothered about losing him on a free.

20M if we are lucky
      Kopite78
      Reply #14: Sep 06, 2020 05:52:14 pm
      Barcelona don't need immediate wins. Most of the people supporting that club have already accepted that they have started a reconstruction process that will take more than one transfer window. Nobody is expecting them to win the league or the CL next year. Messi have already said that he is leaving next summer and that he is only staying this year because he doesn't wanna take the club to court in order to get his move.

All they need to do in this window and probably the next two is to slowly reconstruct their team in a smart way without splashing tons of cash at players they are going to play out of position and crap like that.

They are in a good negotiating position. The only thing playing against them is the known fact that Koeman wants him which is not a factor set in stone. He could turn around and say I don't need him to the point where we pay the price they ask if its not one we want to pay. They are not in dire need for Gini. Its a sh*t show with or without him in the team. I don't see what are the strings we could pull on, to play hardball here. Unless we are applying a ''pay the price asked or wait a year'' policy then I think they have the upper hand on this one.

Caveat: Michael Edwards is very good at his job so who knows. We might end up selling for a price that surprises us all.

Edit: When I say ''pay the price asked or wait a year'' policy I basically mean us not being bothered losing him on a free. If that's the case then sure we have the upper hand but I do wonder if that is indeed the case.

Again I'm glad you're not in charge of our recruitment

You say they dont need to do anything quick, their fans will accept a slow build

Nonsense

You can see with our fans simply "how fans are" and if you think Barcelona fans will be happy to wait a couple of years again you're using your club paranoia to get the best of you.
      We hold all the cards over Barca here

Imagine the other way around our fans would be kicking up a sh*t storm just like theirs will and they need quick wins
      Kopite78
      Reply #15: Sep 06, 2020 05:56:35 pm

It depends what you class as lucky

Who we are selling to

Who we are selling

Who we want to replace

The figure to sell only really applies to who we replace hiem with or how we see the future

There is literally no selling price here that's set.. to lose him for a low price as to nothing but get another year of him playing is easily written off
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #16: Sep 06, 2020 06:03:10 pm

You say they dont need to do anything quick, their fans will accept a slow build

Nonsense

You can see with our fans simply "how fans are" and if you think Barcelona fans will be happy to wait a couple of years again you're using your club paranoia to get the best of you.

Imagine the other way around our fans would be kicking up a sh*t storm just like theirs will and they need quick wins

Exactly make this too easy for barca they coming for more.  We have a lot of very very very good players and they need top top players.  Nah he is available for a bargain if they want to ponce about let them deal with agents not us. 

As long as only Barca is the option for Gini can still see him sign a contract however low the odds are stack against us. 
      Kopite78
      Reply #17: Sep 06, 2020 06:05:05 pm
      Exactly make this too easy for barca they coming for more.  We have a lot of very very very good players and they need top top players.  Nah he is available for a bargain if they want to ponce about let them deal with agents not us. 

As long as only Barca is the option for Gini can still see him sign a contract however low the odds are stack against us.

But the odds arent stacked against us

I wish people would understand where  we are in the footballing world right now
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #18: Sep 06, 2020 06:06:59 pm

Nonsense

There will always be fans who want immediate success but there's also a large chunk of people who understand what is going on at their club. Look at us, we want transfers after winning tittles but we understand the financial situation of the club. Even tho there is a large chunk of our fan base that want immediate transfers and are even going to the extent of saying ''FSG out'' that it means that FSG will go and spend big money.

Like I said, we're not in the Barcelona offices but from outside the club it doesn't look like they are in a rush to buy players to win La Liga and the CL next year. They are cleaning house and anybody reasonable knows they are not serious contenders for trophies next season. Wanting a player and being ready to overpay for him are not two inseparable concepts especially when the player can be signed for free January.

Edit: also this doesn't mean we're gonna let him go for a ridiculously low price. We will probably have a price we wont go under even if it means letting him move for free. All I am saying is that if our asking price is beyond Barca's valuation of the player then it would be deluded to think we are in driving seat of the negotiations.
      « Last Edit: Sep 06, 2020 06:12:27 pm by PolarBearRed »
      rossyred

• 9,093 posts | 1632 
      Reply #19: Sep 06, 2020 06:08:12 pm
      It depends what you class as lucky

Who we are selling to

Who we are selling

Who we want to replace

The figure to sell only really applies to who we replace hiem with or how we see the future

There is literally no selling price here that's set.. to lose him for a low price as to nothing but get another year of him playing is easily written off

What I class as Lucky is that it may actually be less probably 18m we have no cards to play here with the situation we are in and I highly doubt FSG will want nothing and to carry on paying his wages for another year
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #20: Sep 06, 2020 06:11:11 pm
      But the odds arent stacked against us

I wish people would understand where  we are in the footballing world right now

I think the odds of him signing a contract this late is low. 

I agree we are in a fantastic position and will keep our players.  But them lot are  dirty and try anything to turn heads.  I wouldn't put anything past them.   We should be firm if we are going to do a deal with them regards to gini.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #21: Sep 06, 2020 06:14:24 pm
      If Bayern want 30m euros for Thiago I'd be wanting the same from Barca for Gini.

I'd be gutted if he were to move on though, been a cracking player for us.
      Kopite78
      Reply #22: Sep 06, 2020 06:25:37 pm
      What I class as Lucky is that it may actually be less probably 18m we have no cards to play here with the situation we are in and I highly doubt FSG will want nothing and to carry on paying his wages for another year

I disagree we have no cards to play but I guess it depends with which confirmation bias you want to look at it

Quick Reply