Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Georginio Wijnaldum (Barça / Bayern Munich)

Read 24757 times
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Re: Georginio Wijnaldum (Barça)
      Reply #92: Jan 18, 2021 10:49:02 pm
      Indeed.

It always amazes me when people don't understand why players would like to play for Barca.

No matter what state they currently are in they are always one of the most attractive clubs to aspire to play for.

They're the second greatest club in the world. But how long at the top has Gini got? How likely are Barca to fix their problems in the short term? Who has the biggest chance to win the CL in the next three years? He's jumped a cruising ship to join one littered with holes.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #93: Jan 19, 2021 10:52:06 am
      I don't, we offered Gini a new contract after Thiago signed. Why would Gini want to go to Barca now? They're at the worst point they've ever been: huge debts, terrible tranfer decisions, managers come and go, a huge bloated board, greatest ever legend about to leave.

I believe a contract was on the table long before Thiago came. Either way, the club would obviously love for him to stay but were being proactive to bring in a better player in case he didn’t. Or to use Thiago’s arrival as leverage.
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #94: Jan 19, 2021 02:02:42 pm
      Liverpool does not want Gini or else they would have done what they always did with valued players: make a deal early and without noise (= mainly accept what is demanded). Of course Liverpool wants to keep Gini, he's a good player and character, but for cheaper money, but Gini has made it clear he does not want that. He'll be gone in the summer. And we don't need him. We are thick at midfield.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #95: Jan 19, 2021 02:33:14 pm
      Liverpool does not want Gini or else they would have done what they always did with valued players: make a deal early and without noise (= mainly accept what is demanded). Of course Liverpool wants to keep Gini, he's a good player and character, but for cheaper money, but Gini has made it clear he does not want that. He'll be gone in the summer. And we don't need him. We are thick at midfield.

What don't we want? Gini

When don't we want it? Next season

What am I talking? Bollox

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #96: Jan 19, 2021 02:36:08 pm
      What don't we want? Gini

When don't we want him? Next season

What am I talking? Bollox

Not necessarily, if they really saw Gini in their long terms plans they would be giving him the kind of money and length of term he wants. That doesn't mean they don't value him in the here and now, but it is a puzzling that a club so skint they can't buy an extra CB when they have no fit ones are happy to let a player walk away on a free transfer in the summer.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #97: May 20, 2021 02:54:05 pm
      Move to Barca may be off 'apparently' if they give Ronald his marching orders.

Would that mean Munich then?

I wonder why he wants out? Liverpool seems a loyal club to players, but at Barca you're just a piece of meat.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #98: May 20, 2021 04:45:02 pm

I wonder why he wants out? Liverpool seems a loyal club to players, but at Barca you're just a piece of meat.
      He's been here a while now and won the two biggest trophies we can get, I really can't hold it against him if he wants to go try something different in a new country, especially Barca for the sun, fair fecks, I don't blame him, at the end of the day we need to remember these are just players, they aren't 'loyal' to the club like us fans are, he's done a lot in his time here and was pivotal to us winning the CL and then getting the League.

What I can't excuse is not giving your all before you feck off, or just moping around, and I don't even mean in terms of overall team performance, everyone has been a bit off this year, but he just doesn't seem like the Gini we know now, what happened to that big smile you'd rarely see him without? It's rare you see it at all now, and he just seems so lethargic a lot of time in his play like he just can't be arsed, like 'feck it, I'm off in the Summer what does it matter?' kind of vibes I get... that I cannot stand.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #99: May 20, 2021 04:57:13 pm

Different city, different lifestyle, different experience.
      Loads of reasons, not just for Barcelona, but any big club in Europe.

I daresay players move sometimes just because they fancy something different.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #100: May 20, 2021 05:06:05 pm
      He's been here a while now and won the two biggest trophies we can get, I really can't hold it against him if he wants to go try something different in a new country, especially Barca for the sun, fair fecks, I don't blame him, at the end of the day we need to remember these are just players, they aren't 'loyal' to the club like us fans are, he's done a lot in his time here and was pivotal to us winning the CL and then getting the League.

What I can't excuse is not giving your all before you feck off, or just moping around, and I don't even mean in terms of overall team performance, everyone has been a bit off this year, but he just doesn't seem like the Gini we know now, what happened to that big smile you'd rarely see him without? It's rare you see it at all now, and he just seems so lethargic a lot of time in his play like he just can't be arsed, like 'feck it, I'm off in the Summer what does it matter?' kind of vibes I get... that I cannot stand.

He may not be playing great,  he may not be your favourite player but to say he has essentially downed tools is quite frankly absolute bollocks
      L4.19Times
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 149 
      Reply #101: May 20, 2021 05:21:17 pm
      He may not be playing great,  he may not be your favourite player but to say he has essentially downed tools is quite frankly absolute bollocks

Yep, absolute bollocks

Don't people think Jürgen would spot something like that and deal with it if that was the case

People will see what they want to in any situation, confirmation bias
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #102: May 20, 2021 05:43:04 pm
      Gini is my third favourite player after Bobby and Hendo, and you’re talking bollocks if you think he’s looked himself the latter half of this season.

It’s been obvious for a while his head is elsewhere and it’s seen in his play and body language.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #103: May 21, 2021 07:55:08 am
      Honest to God, does anyone think well miss him on the form hes had for months now?

Gini 2017 was very good , 2018  2019 was class, 2020 less so but still important. 2021? Passenger for me
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1191 
      Reply #104: May 21, 2021 09:55:35 am
      Having Thiago now and Curtis coming through lessens the burden when Gini leaves. I think if you’re not sure as a player whether you want to stay or not it’s probably best you move on. If he wants a new challenge, more money, a warmer climate or whatever, fair enough. He’s been a fantastic player for us, we wish him well and the train rumbles on.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #105: May 21, 2021 09:58:13 am
      Having Thiago now and Curtis coming through lessens the burden when Gini leaves. I think if you’re not sure as a player whether you want to stay or not it’s probably best you move on. If he wants a new challenge, more money, a warmer climate or whatever, fair enough. He’s been a fantastic player for us, we wish him well and the train rumbles on.

Very interesting to see how he goes for the Dutch in the summer
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #106: May 21, 2021 10:08:38 am
      I personally think he’s an amazing player we will be poorer in terms of quality when he goes. It’s a shame.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #107: May 21, 2021 10:14:39 am
      I think it’s a shame that he goes for £0m.

Nonetheless his contributions on the pitch are well appreciated. I’ve never understood the comments about him that he’s not good enough for us. He might underperform in the odd game but that’s about it and it’s a very normal thing to happen. We will miss him.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #108: May 21, 2021 10:40:07 am
      I think it’s a shame that he goes for £0m.

Nonetheless his contributions on the pitch are well appreciated. I’ve never understood the comments about him that he’s not good enough for us. He might underperform in the odd game but that’s about it and it’s a very normal thing to happen. We will miss him.

Agree, underestimated by a certain section of our support, he has been consistent throughout this season, if he leaves he will be missed.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #109: May 21, 2021 11:06:46 am
      Nobody loved a big game more than Gini.
      He'll be missed. What a half of football vs Barca.
      Gerrard-esque.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #110: May 21, 2021 01:48:57 pm
      I personally think he’s an amazing player we will be poorer in terms of quality when he goes. It’s a shame.

Not everyone fully appreciates what he brings to the team. He's not the flashiest and doesn't score a lot of goals so some people have underrated his value to the team for a long time. Some never really liked him from day one and he was a constant whipping boy for a while. He has been a tireless serving soldier who never even gets a cramp and does a lot of the donkey work that helps the rest of the team to succeed at the expense of personal achievements.

His time looks to be up with us but i understand both sides. He wanting a longer contract as he is 30yo and is probably his last large contract and the team not wanting to commit a long term deal as it has an aging squad and needs to retool the team over the next 2-3 years towards younger players.

He will leave as one of my favorite players in the Klopp era and an absolute legend with his big impact on the big things we achieved while he was here.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: Georginio Wijnaldum (Barça / Bayern Munich)
      Reply #111: May 21, 2021 02:47:20 pm
      Jurgens words about gini's personality and professionalism spoke volumes. That will do for me
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,601 posts | 855 
      Reply #112: May 21, 2021 02:57:30 pm
      If he wants to go then i wish him all the jest and thank him for the time he has spent with us.
      I understand that players want to play in some league or a team before they gang their boots up.

That said, if he is going to barca then i wouldnt mind us luring fati or pedri to us, even if we have to pay up to 40m with gini.
      EarnedIt6Times
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts | 73 
      Reply #113: May 21, 2021 03:24:38 pm
      Not everyone fully appreciates what he brings to the team. He's not the flashiest and doesn't score a lot of goals so some people have underrated his value to the team for a long time. Some never really liked him from day one and he was a constant whipping boy for a while. He has been a tireless serving soldier who never even gets a cramp and does a lot of the donkey work that helps the rest of the team to succeed at the expense of personal achievements.

His time looks to be up with us but i understand both sides. He wanting a longer contract as he is 30yo and is probably his last large contract and the team not wanting to commit a long term deal as it has an aging squad and needs to retool the team over the next 2-3 years towards younger players.

He will leave as one of my favorite players in the Klopp era and an absolute legend with his big impact on the big things we achieved while he was here.

I totally agree with almost all of that. Defo a club legend for his major part in what we've achieved in recent years. Massively underappreciated by the fanbase generally, due to this idea that "he doesn't do anything". I read (OK maybe a year ago now) that in matches between the top 6 sides, Gini was the top goalscoring midfielder; yes even ahead of De Bruyne. So he's a big game player, which matches with what I've seen. And we all know what he did against Barcelona. That's club legend status in its own right.

Yes he can be a bit frustrating against the low block, I'll admit, but fans should understand that he's playing to Klopp's tactical instructions. He gives the ball to people who can do more damage with it. He's never been or claimed to be a creative passing midfielder. And the low block didn't actually trouble us for several years until this freak season so I'm not sure why people were arsed before now.

I can't for the life of me remember him making any kind of critical error for us, ever. Yes he plays pretty conservatively so that will help to explain it, but there's a value to be found in players who don't make critical errors on the field of play. I watched the game back the other night and saw Gini had made a mistake and I looked at the clock and it said 76 minutes, and even that was because he was clearly tired from all the running. 76 minutes error-free. That's a lot of concentration.

Love the fella to bits and will be gutted when he goes. I was holding out hope they might eventually come to an agreement but it isn't looking good.

Only thing I don't agree with you on (in part) is that you seem to have swallowed the leaked line from the club about it being Gini's fault for wanting a longer contract. There are two sides to every story and I'd prefer to hear Gini's side of it before passing 'judgment'. Anyway, it's his last big contract, he's got a right to do what's best for his family. He owes us nothing. I wish the lad a long and happy rest of his life.

I do think this is what politicians have been describing in recent years as "a failure of diplomacy" though. Klopp clearly wants him to stay. I'm as sure as I can be that Gini wants to stay (or did do - he does look a bit resigned to going at this point). So there's been a failure of diplomacy or a failure of negotiation there by the looks of it.

Anyway, all LFC heroes leave the club eventually and then a new LFC hero always comes along eventually...

It'd be nice to get this 'postponed' league title open top bus tour sorted to give Gini a proper send-off but I guess that'll never happen now.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #114: May 21, 2021 06:04:40 pm
      Gini has been a great signing for us, and will rightly have his place in club folklore.

But anyone who thinks or says his performance for the past several months are worthy of being given start after start are deluded.

If Keita, Shaq, Ox to name 3 got his chances and performed to the same level the place would be in uproar saying its time to move them on.

If what we done in previous seasons was how it works then Rush be still up front with Barnes trying to feed him. His current form is below par and its quite possible whoever replaces him might spark us into new life.

Honest answer, has he performed like a captain when given that armband? Has he bossed games? Has he created much? When is the last time you watched us and said Gini was boss there?

Quick Reply