Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Pre-Match: Liverpool v Leeds United (Sat 12th September 17.30 KO)

Read 7214 times
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 1,632 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Pre-Match: Liverpool v Leeds United (Sat 12th September 17.30 KO)
      Sep 09, 2020 04:56:56 pm
      The new Premiership Champions Liverpool take on promoted Leeds United winners of the Championship last season on the first day of a new exciting season.

It only seems like 5 minutes ago that last season finished due to the huge delay in re-starting last season due to the covid virus.

Could be a fair few weeks/months yet before we get any supporters in the grounds so it will be still a case of supporting the team from the safety of our own homes.

I'm expecting Jürgen to go with his strongest 11 as I think this game willl be quite a stern test for us, I think we've really missed Jordan Henderson's presence in Midfield of late so I'm hoping to see him back in the first 11 on Saturday.

Alisson
      Trent
      Virgil
      Gomez
      Robbo
      Hendo
      Fab
      Minamino
      Mane
      Salah
      Bobby

Would be my team if all is fit and ready to go, let's hope we have a winning start to a very important new season coming up. A nice solid 2-0 win would get us off to a cracking start.

« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2020 05:29:20 pm by JD »
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Re: Liverpool v Leeds United 17.30 ko
      Reply #1: Sep 09, 2020 05:05:49 pm
      NB: Team no longer available

Or else Milner instead of Minamino against his local team.

A win to start off the campaign will be good.
      sebby
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 622 posts | 59 
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool v Leeds United (Sat 12th September 17.30 KO)
      Reply #2: Sep 09, 2020 05:41:38 pm
      Liverpool v Leeds, Classic fixture from the past, was this forum even around the last time they met in premier league ? Should win but with an empty stadium, not feeling that confident tbh, and Leeds will be up for it.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      Reply #3: Sep 09, 2020 05:44:23 pm
      Liverpool v Leeds, Classic fixture from the past, was this forum even around the last time they met in premier league ? Should win but with an empty stadium, not feeling that confident tbh, and Leeds will be up for it.

We are the Champions and Henderson is around the team and will pump up the atmosphere. We will win.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #4: Sep 09, 2020 05:49:11 pm
      Suspect Hendo only fit enough for bench eh ?

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #5: Sep 09, 2020 06:06:31 pm
      I'm sure I read somewhere that this lot mark man to man in every position.

I really hope they try that against us.
      They'll get F***ing destroyed.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      Reply #6: Sep 09, 2020 06:13:17 pm
      I'm sure I read somewhere that this lot mark man to man in every position.

I really hope they try that against us.
      They'll get F***ing destroyed.

If they do it, they are screwed against us. Mane and Robertson will lick their fingers.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #7: Sep 09, 2020 07:02:04 pm
      Any time I watched Leeds last season was impressed by how they try to play football, even when under pressure.
      I'm not expecting an easy game by any means, they come to Anfield with nothing to loose, and will be told to go out and express themselves.
      We're the Champions, and the pressure is on us as the win is expected.
      Think we've been mixed in preseason, but tbh not sure how relevant preseason is to the real sh*t.
      In saying that. Minamino has impressed, so will be interesting to see if he gets a start - I can't see him in the first XI, Keita either, not sure that level of trust is there yet, plus would expect safety first from Jürgen then see how the game pans out.

Alisson
      TAA Gomez VVD Robbo
          Gini Fab Hendo
         Mane Bob Salah

We got off to an amazing start last season, winning a pile of matches, so this match is important.
      Think there will be nerves on both sides, but would hope at home, and with the quality we have, will have enough to get the 3 points.
      Hard to believe saying that already ... get the 3 points :)
      Looking forward to watching this one on the weekend
       :kop5cf8koxp6:
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #8: Sep 09, 2020 07:17:39 pm
      Let's get off to winning ways, with a 2  0, win for the Reds !
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #9: Sep 09, 2020 07:39:29 pm
      Brilliant having the pre match thread back, until we kick off Saturday it won’t feel proper, anyhoo onto the match against’Dirty Leeds’, I know I know their just a bit different from those by gone days, still tho, they historically are a rival, the kind of rivalry that doesn’t go away,

It’s been a long time since we locked horns but I welcome them back to the top flight and that’s as far as my sentiments go, it’s a difficult game to predict because we don’t know their form, we know they are a good side, but the prem is different level to what they are used to, I think Bielsa is a smart cookie and is building a good side, good enough to survive in this league and that should be their aim, their playing us at the right time from their PoV, so I’m not expecting them to do any damage,

For us, I think we’re as ready as we can be at this stage, and be good enough to take three points that kick starts our ‘Atrack’ on another winning campaign, for me the team picks itself, when you factor in injuries and what not, you can toss a coin for who plays alongside Fabinho & Gini in midfield, between Milner & Naby, personally I’d go with Naby, I think he’s ready to be the beast he always threatened to be, .........

........                                                    Alisson

Williams      Gomez.  Virgil.   Robertson

Gini.       Fabinho       Keita

Salah.       Firmino.      Mane

Bench; Adrian, Matip, Milner, Minamino, Jones, Origi, Elliot

It’s perfectly feasible that Milner will get the nod for a midfield spot, might even be in rather than Gini, glad I don’t have that headache, so first victim is Leeds, I don’t see anything other than a victory for the proper Champions.

2-0 Redmen

Y  N  W  A

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #10: Sep 09, 2020 07:44:44 pm
      El Loco a bit of a genius by all accounts and he will have been up for the last 2 weeks watching every game we have ever played under Klopp.

This will be a tough old game but I dont expect Leeds to be scared to come out and play which may help.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #11: Sep 09, 2020 09:52:17 pm
      El Loco a bit of a genius by all accounts and he will have been up for the last 2 weeks watching every game we have ever played under Klopp.

This will be a tough old game but I dont expect Leeds to be scared to come out and play which may help.

Very keen to see how Bielsa tries to stop us and it'll be a great test but one I expect to win.

I'd go for the same side as Clint posted with Minamino in the midfield alongside Keita.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #12: Sep 09, 2020 10:34:07 pm
      Am I right to think the Liverpool vs. Leeds matches were the occasion for a bit of action with casuals back in the 70s and 80s?

LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #13: Sep 09, 2020 11:01:21 pm
      So F***ing depressing having no fans there
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #14: Sep 09, 2020 11:35:35 pm
      Leeds are an unknown quantity to me but I know that they haven't played a team like us for a long long time.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #15: Sep 10, 2020 12:40:23 am
      Am I right to think the Liverpool vs. Leeds matches were the occasion for a bit of action with casuals back in the 70s and 80s?

Yes, charming bunch. Remember them torching a burger van in Bournemouth
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #16: Sep 10, 2020 09:22:43 am
      So f**king depressing having no fans there

Would have been great having fans at this one. Obviously Leeds have got a loud following and Anfield will have been right up for it, late KO on a Saturday in the first game of a title defending season.

Would have been a cracker
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #17: Sep 10, 2020 10:34:05 am

You are more than right.

( I'll say no more ! )
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #18: Sep 10, 2020 12:04:21 pm
      Toned down my original prediction, I was going to go for a 5  0, win for the Reds. But have posted a 2 0 victory in the prediction league. Hopefully starting off with a clean sheet.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #19: Sep 10, 2020 01:13:10 pm
      I think Bielsa has a bit of Nino Espirito Santos about him, and Leeds try to play decent footy as do Wolves. The managers really believe in their players.
      Only down side for them, lack of experience against a side with the quality we have.
      I expect them to come and have a right go, not sit back like arse of late. They’ll look good for a while, but I think we’ll undo them from about 20 mins on.
      Gonna end up 3:0 to the red men, and a tactical rethink by Leeds.
      If the fans were allowed back in already. There would be casualties. They have an element who are always up for a scrap. About 90%' of them.
      Come on you red men, big 3 points !
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #20: Sep 10, 2020 01:22:56 pm
      I think Bielsa has a bit of Nino Espirito Santos about him, and Leeds try to play decent footy as do Wolves. The managers really believe in their players.

Difference between the two though is that Wolves had a lot of money behind them & were able to sign Champions League quality players as soon as they were promoted (think they even signed Neves from Porto when they were still in the Championship!)

It's very difficult to play good, free-flowing football at this level unless you've got top players to do it. If you try and do it with a squad full of Championship level players you'll more than likely get found out. Norwich last season were a prime example, who funnily enough we played at home on the opening day too
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      Reply #21: Sep 10, 2020 03:05:33 pm
      Bielsa will be up for it but Klopp always has a plan for these types of games.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #22: Sep 10, 2020 05:49:26 pm
      https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000md9j

Kelly interviews Jürgen about the upcoming season.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #23: Sep 11, 2020 02:36:29 am
      I don’t think they will have anything for us. Should be an easy win. Our squad is literally miles ahead of theirs.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #24: Sep 11, 2020 07:38:10 am
      Guessing on a lineup:

Alisson
      Trent, Gomez, Virgil, Robbo
      Fab, Gini, Keita
      Salah, Bobby, Sadio
      Subs: Adrian, Matip, Milner, Hendo, Jones, Minamino, Origi
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #25: Sep 11, 2020 08:54:27 am
      I don’t think they will have anything for us. Should be an easy win. Our squad is literally miles ahead of theirs.

I tend to agree, we'd have to have a really sh*t game or being incredibly complacent for them to beat us and with Jürgen in charge I doubt that will happen. I suspect it could be a bit of a rude awakening/arrival for them.
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #26: Sep 11, 2020 09:05:48 am
      I’m hoping that they come out all guns blazing and we pick them off and crumble their confidence. They haven’t come up against a VVD yet.

3-0 Reds
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #27: Sep 11, 2020 09:42:13 am
      I’m hoping that they come out all guns blazing and we pick them off and crumble their confidence. They haven’t come up against a VVD yet.

3-0 Reds

I think they might pinch a goal, but over 90 minutes surely we'll have too much for them.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #28: Sep 11, 2020 10:16:37 am
      Think it might be similar to the Norwich opener last season. No doubt they'll be up for it and they could carve out a few chances early on, but I think as the game progresses we'll have too much quality for them

Was a bit apathetic about the new season starting but I'm really excited about tomorrow now. Think the fact I'll be out on the ale all day for it has certainly helped, like!
      Davbro
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 98 posts | 22 
      Reply #29: Sep 11, 2020 12:46:51 pm
      This fixture came a little too soon for my family as my step Dad is a Leeds supporter and my step brother and I wanted to get him to Anfield or just Liverpool (if Covid had calmed down). Growing up we used to watch the game at my familys home with all my Liverpool supporting mates and when Liverpool scored or won my step Dad used to always threaten to kick us out haha.  We lost one of our group and my best friend to cancer before he seen liverpool hoist the league trophy high (he actually predicted it) so now we are all getting together in my step Dads house (dont worry the house bubble isn't as bad here) again to be big kids again and enjoy this massive fixture, and when Liverpool score my step dad will be the one kicked out because we are all bigger than him now haha.
      Sorry if that was boring peeps but this fixture has a special meaning in my heart.  :D
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #30: Sep 11, 2020 02:17:40 pm
      I am looking forward to finally having some proper games back though it was only a short break.

As for the game I guess the style of play Leeds offer will play into our hands as they will give us lots of space to expose and attack.  If out front three have their finishing boots on we should get the 3 points

As for line up I have not followed closely enough in preseason to have opinion on who to play hough seens debate is between having 3 man middle with Fabinho-Gini-Ketia or have double pivot with Minamino. Personally I like to see Naby given a run early to see if he can continue from his good play after the return.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #31: Sep 11, 2020 02:21:19 pm
      Two teams who in the past twelve months know a lot about winning and about winning by one goal.

Should actually be a good game.  Bielsa will definitely want to make a big impact on the Premier League.  He'll probably have felt forced to wait an extra twelve months to actually get to this point.

Liverpool have to open up with three points though.  I think it's going to be hard enough without fans etc to have a banana slip on day zero.  Quite enjoyed last season not having any transfer issues hanging over us when the season kicked off - be glad when that shuts as well.

Up the reds!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #32: Sep 11, 2020 02:42:59 pm
      Two teams who in the past twelve months know a lot about winning and about winning by one goal.

Should actually be a good game.  Bielsa will definitely want to make a big impact on the Premier League.  He'll probably have felt forced to wait an extra twelve months to actually get to this point.

Liverpool have to open up with three points though.  I think it's going to be hard enough without fans etc to have a banana slip on day zero.  Quite enjoyed last season not having any transfer issues hanging over us when the season kicked off - be glad when that shuts as well.

Up the reds!

I think it might actually help not to have fans for this one, there might have been a nervous energy in the crowd.
      Kopite78
      Reply #33: Sep 11, 2020 02:45:16 pm
      I think it might actually help not to have fans for this one, there might have been a nervous energy in the crowd.

What?

First game as defending premier league champions?

The atmosphere would have been electric.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #34: Sep 11, 2020 02:53:17 pm
      What?

First game as defending premier league champions?

The atmosphere would have been electric.

Late KO on a Saturday too, everyone would have been bladdered. Would have been bouncing
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #35: Sep 11, 2020 03:20:45 pm
      Great to have Leeds back in the Prem and back at Anfield.

Big season for Nabby, AOC and Minamino esp if we lose Gini. Look to Salah to go big again and Mane. Could be a tight game as Leeds will be out to cause us big problems. They'll be wound up as well.Few tackles flying.

1-0..2-1 there or thereabouts
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #36: Sep 11, 2020 04:11:28 pm
      Did I hear right that players will take the knee for every single match next season, this is getting a bit silly now isn't it, I understood and applauded doing it for one match, much like doing a 1 minute's silence when someone in the game passes away or other events but putting this issue above all other issues facing the world, especially at a time when so many are suffering and worried about Covid is sort of perverse and I'm not convinced it will achieve anything positive. What I mean by that is that almost everyone rejects racism already and huge strides have been taken to combat it in recent times, which must surely be very good, but instead of celebrating that we are presented with a narrative of all non Black people essentially being racist which is not really fair, to put it mildly.
      Kopite78
      Reply #37: Sep 11, 2020 04:14:56 pm
      Did I hear right that players will take the knee for every single match next season, this is getting a bit silly now isn't it, I understood and applauded doing it for one match, much like doing a 1 minute's silence when someone in the game passes away or other events but putting this issue above all other issues facing the world, especially at a time when so many are suffering and worried about Covid is sort of perverse and I'm not convinced it will achieve anything positive.

If you want to make real change it has to be a concerted and consistent message though no?

A one off thing strikes as nothing more than a token effort with no real intention
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #38: Sep 11, 2020 04:25:41 pm
      If you want to make real change it has to be a concerted and consistent message though no?

A one off thing strikes as nothing more than a token effort with no real intention

I think real change is brought by direct action.

Agree fully with the Black Lives Matter message but I think the kneeling before matches could just end up turning into nothing more than lip service. For example all of the presenters and pundits on Sky Sports were wearing BLM badges towards the end of last season, then you've got Le Tissier on Twitter saying that he's against the movement and only wears the badge because the bosses stuck them on everyone. I think stuff like that takes it away from being a cause and turns it into a box-ticking exercise
      Kopite78
      Reply #39: Sep 11, 2020 04:28:26 pm
      I think real change is brought by direct action.

Agree fully with the Black Lives Matter message but I think the kneeling before matches could just end up turning into nothing more than lip service. For example all of the presenters and pundits on Sky Sports were wearing BLM badges towards the end of last season, then you've got Le Tissier on Twitter saying that he's against the movement and only wears the badge because the bosses stuck them on everyone. I think it takes it away from being a cause and more to being just a box-ticking exercise

Yeah probably mate but that simply is an indication of the individuals

More the point I was making had it only been done the once then its so easily forgotten
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #40: Sep 11, 2020 06:07:38 pm
      Yeah probably mate but that simply is an indication of the individuals

More the point I was making had it only been done the once then its so easily forgotten

yes but every single match, every one for a whole season!!! and what change is it that's being asked? If you look at our team, can it be claimed that there is any systemic racial bias in place, what about other teams or football in general?  I'm all for having a discussion about this, but at the moment its just empty virtue signalling, it doesn't mean anything and as such I think it does more harm than good.
      Kopite78
      Reply #41: Sep 11, 2020 06:12:23 pm
      yes but every single match, every one for a whole season!!! and what change is it that's being asked? If you look at our team, can it be claimed that there is any systemic racial bias in place, what about other teams or football in general?  I'm all for having a discussion about this, but at the moment its just empty virtue signalling, it doesn't mean anything and as such I think it does more harm than good.

It's not about the teams who are systemically racist it's about some fans who are and these players are their idols and can hopefully impact their mindset

I have no issues with it whatsoever as I 100%believe we are all the same and dont have a racist thought in my mindset or xenophobic or anti gay or whatever.

I dont understand what more harm than good it does?

Only way that's the case is if there is systemic racism and with the ingrained racists within society
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #42: Sep 11, 2020 06:35:41 pm
      It's not about the teams who are systemically racist it's about some fans who are and these players are their idols and can hopefully impact their mindset

I have no issues with it whatsoever as I 100%believe we are all the same and dont have a racist thought in my mindset or xenophobic or anti gay or whatever.

I dont understand what more harm than good it does?

Only way that's the case is if there is systemic racism and with the ingrained racists within society

So do they take the knee forever then? I mean in all seriousness what has to change for them to think job done no need to do that any more?
      The symbology is also quite disturbing, taking the knee historically is a sign of supplication, normally only done at church, when proposing to a partner or in defeat. Who are the players taking the knee to, a movement or a race?
      The ideal of no to racism is a fine and noble  ideal but the messaging with blm is horrible, it insinuates that Only Black Lives matter, a better message already exists "No to racism" and also "Kick it out". Is there really a need for this third non-inclusive message?
      Kopite78
      Reply #43: Sep 11, 2020 06:39:05 pm
      So do they take the knee forever then? I mean in all seriousness what has to change for them to think job done no need to do that any more?
      The symbology is also quite disturbing, taking the knee historically is a sign of supplication, normally only done at church, when proposing to a partner or in defeat. Who are the players taking the knee to, a movement or a race?
      The ideal of no to racism is a fine and noble  ideal but the messaging with blm is horrible, it insinuates that Only Black Lives matter, a better message already exists "No to racism" and also "Kick it out". Is there really a need for this third non-inclusive message?

I honestly dont think this is the place for this discussion in a pre match thread

If you want to start it somewhere else I'll happily join but if I'm honest, and I mean no disrespect here, I think your type of attitude is a big part of the problem

Another place maybe
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #44: Sep 11, 2020 06:50:22 pm
      I honestly dont think this is the place for this discussion in a pre match thread

If you want to start it somewhere else I'll happily join but if I'm honest, and I mean no disrespect here, I think your type of attitude is a big part of the problem

Another place maybe

;D, you mean no disrespect, really? You sure about that?
      Kopite78
      Reply #45: Sep 11, 2020 06:52:19 pm
      ;D, you mean no disrespect, really? You sure about that?

Yeah honestly I dont

Like I say if you want to start this somewhere else because this type of conversation gathers pace quickly then I'm happy to join in
      Pre match thread isnt the place
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #46: Sep 11, 2020 06:52:50 pm
      Players to wear an anti-racism patch instead of the Black Lives Matter patch this season, due to some views of the other including defunding the police.
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #47: Sep 11, 2020 07:42:42 pm
      Think these will have a good at us and maybe get some joy but think will edge it second half
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #48: Sep 11, 2020 08:35:53 pm
      Less than 24hrs now. Still can't get my head round it :)
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #49: Sep 11, 2020 09:04:06 pm
      Did I hear right that players will take the knee for every single match next season, this is getting a bit silly now isn't it, I understood and applauded doing it for one match, much like doing a 1 minute's silence when someone in the game passes away or other events but putting this issue above all other issues facing the world, especially at a time when so many are suffering and worried about Covid is sort of perverse and I'm not convinced it will achieve anything positive. What I mean by that is that almost everyone rejects racism already and huge strides have been taken to combat it in recent times, which must surely be very good, but instead of celebrating that we are presented with a narrative of all non Black people essentially being racist which is not really fair, to put it mildly.

As Far as I'm concerned,  ALL lives matter, no colour of their skin comes into it, but you have elements who want to cause unrest regardless. Football is trying to apease
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 1,632 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #50: Sep 11, 2020 09:22:14 pm
      Just one more sleep to go before we kick off again, feel like a kid at Christmas  ;)

Won't be an easy start at all, but I think our overall quality will shine through especially as the game goes on, I expect Leeds will come at us right from the kick off hoping to catch us on the break and get an early goal, let's hope Virgil and the rest of the defence are on their game and keeps them at bay.

Excited....muchly  :kop5cf8koxp6: :scarf: :aaliverpoolwz0: :aaliverpool2xt1:
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #51: Sep 11, 2020 09:46:03 pm
      I predict after kickoff, Leeds will do some things reasonably well. We will have a moment where we don't perform up to our potential. This will cause more or less a meldown among some posters.

This will be the cue for some to start bemoaning our transfer business, and certain players will come under a good bit of criticism for not having scored a hat trick by whatever point this happens.

Then we will win and the same people crying panic will act as if nothing happened.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 1,632 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #52: Sep 11, 2020 09:59:54 pm
      I predict after kickoff, Leeds will do some things reasonably well. We will have a moment where we don't perform up to our potential. This will cause more or less a meldown among some posters.

This will be the cue for some to start bemoaning our transfer business, and certain players will come under a good bit of criticism for not having scored a hat trick by whatever point this happens.

Then we will win and the same people crying panic will act as if nothing happened.

Spot on Robby  :lmao:
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #53: Sep 11, 2020 10:56:42 pm
      Excited to get started on a new season even if it’s under BS circumstances. Game should be good and we need to be careful. I imagine Leeds will come out full of energy and adrenaline after being back in the PL but ultimately we are far too good for them.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,709 posts | 162 
      Reply #54: Sep 11, 2020 11:45:59 pm
      Well lads and ladies this is f***in it. Not long to go now till we attack the league again. OK, we only have a new deputy to Andy singed but we walked it last season and you can't say City were not trying.

We would all love Thiago signed of course we would but at the expense of the energizer bunny that is Gini. We go again and we all trust Klopp and we trust this group of players, I certainly do. Excuse my grammar I'm Irish and I'm drunk. Next thing you know Bradley Wiggans will claim me.. YNWA
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #55: Sep 11, 2020 11:48:06 pm
      Bielsa says Anfield is not Anfield unless it's full.

Klopp says: "But it’s still Anfield It’s our home & we are Liverpool. That should not sound like a threat... but it must be the most intense game Leeds ever had.

“You have never played a team like us”.

Oh, it's on!

And it doesn't sound like a threat. Sounds like a promise.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #56: Sep 12, 2020 12:31:21 am
      4-2-3-1.

Defence is obvious and picks itself.

Keita and Fab the 2 with Minamino coming into the team. The way Minamino has been playing through pre-season, think it would be a mistake not starting him, he's full of confidence now and looks raring to go.

Jones makes a good case to start too but I can't really see that happening yet.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #57: Sep 12, 2020 01:42:48 am
      First off, thanks Cas/Klopps Snood for being back and starting the First Official match thread for the new campaign. Let's hope you are our new lucky charm.

Second off, Go you Mighty Reds ...can't wait till KO 2.30am Aussie Time and start work at 08.30 so should be fine...to go to work  ;D ;D, which is in the next room.  :D :D   2-1 for me. Love our opening days! Mo to kick us off.

Finally, Heimdell...I read a lot of your stuff and some of it's really good mate but I can't understand why you would even want to bring up the kneel mate. It's not like you are doing it, so why does something like that have to bother you? Just get pumped and watch us go to work!

Bring on The New Seasons as Reigning Champs! ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK!!!

RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #58: Sep 12, 2020 03:28:49 am
      Salah hat-trick please, my triple captain this week.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #59: Sep 12, 2020 05:54:02 am

Your wrong mate, continuing the ‘Taking the Knee’ is exactly what the players should do, the message has to get thru to those who don’t or refuse to understand that racism has no place in sport nor anywhere, NOT everyone rejects racism as you say mate, in the past campaign’s such as ‘Say no to Racism, etc don’t work because they fade away and don’t have the power that it requires,
      Almost every player in every team should be behind this campaign, and everyone should take the knee for as long as possible, it may look tiresome, and you may say Yeah whatever when they do it, but if they didn’t then that too would fade away and the racists win,

The strides you say that have been taken are not long enough, everyone to a man has to do their bit, even here in Joe Blogg Street, I’ve heard countless ppl being racist, saying racist things, but said nothing, but have witnessed others nod in agreement of what they have heard, and that is the part of the problem, we all live in fear of saying something instead of speaking our minds, in case of reprisals, that is sad of a society for which is supposed to have freedom of speech,

As for our footballers, they must continue doing what they do, and I’d go further too, next time they hear racist chants or comments from the crowd, or indeed from a opponent, make it known to your captain report to the Ref, and walk off the pitch, it’s the only way, reporting to governing bodies is all well & good but F**k all seems to happen about it, no one hears anything thereafter, but walking off the pitch would have a major effect, it will seriously piss of those in the crowd, and in turn they would turn on the racists,

It has to stop, and it has to stop now, no matter how fed up you are with it all, WE are all one and the same, I may have pink skin, my friend may have brown skin, but we all have arms & legs and eyes and ears, brains ,hearts & minds, we are just ppl, simples !

Y  N  W  A

RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #60: Sep 12, 2020 09:50:28 am
      Feels weird the season starting so soon after the last one finished.

We’ve set a ridiculous standard for ourselves over the last two seasons and the challenge is to match or even better that, starting today. Gone 3 0 in the prediction league.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #61: Sep 12, 2020 10:16:02 am
      I’m sure it’ll change by 5.30 but I’d be lying right now if I said was hyped for this.

Maybe it’s the lack of fans or maybe it’s the quick turn around but the idea of things kicking off again today feels a bit strange.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #62: Sep 12, 2020 10:55:48 am
      I’m sure it’ll change by 5.30 but I’d be lying right now if I said was hyped for this.

Maybe it’s the lack of fans or maybe it’s the quick turn around but the idea of things kicking off again today feels a bit strange.

Been weird hasn't it. No parade, quick turnaround etc. Sort of fells as though we've been robbed a bit of our opportunity to properly celebrate & bask in it
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #63: Sep 12, 2020 11:08:19 am
      At this time last season, we were still hurting having lost the title narrowly. Then we started like we wanted every opponent dead and played some boss football, winning the league convincingly. It’s amazing how failure can motivate us.

A year later, we’re champions. We weren’t the best team sometime back, but we can all evolve to be the best.

Today the club that failed to get the title two seasons ago, start as Champions. If we all try hard and work hard enough, we can be great.  Let’s go out there and win the league again.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #64: Sep 12, 2020 11:15:09 am
      One massive advantage we have today is the fact our front three haven't been away on International duty and stayed behind at Melwood getting involved in some serious tactical training with what bits of the squad Jürgen had to work with..
      Kop or no Kop we'll smash dirty Leeds today..
      3-1
      up the f***in Reds !!
       :kop5cf8koxp6:
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #65: Sep 12, 2020 01:29:11 pm
      Well I’m up for it alright keen to see what this Bielsa set up is all about. Will be forced to watch on mobile as my 17 month old has buried the remote God knows where in the house. Been searching high and low for the last hour to no avail. Come on you reds!
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 844 posts | 235 
      Reply #66: Sep 12, 2020 02:44:52 pm
      Well I’m up for it alright keen to see what this Bielsa set up is all about. Will be forced to watch on mobile as my 17 month old has buried the remote God knows where in the house. Been searching high and low for the last hour to no avail. Come on you reds!

Come on, Dad. All tvs can be operated without the remote. Just play around with the buttons sat the back.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #67: Sep 12, 2020 02:51:33 pm
      Will be forced to watch on mobile as my 17 month old has buried the remote God knows where in the house. Been searching high and low for the last hour to no avail. Come on you reds!

Schoolboy error there.  It'll be in the bog, bin or toy box I'll wager.

Not got infra-red on your phone.  Often have to use the remote control app on my phone for the tele out of sheer laziness.
      LiverpoolsFinest
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 183 posts | 36 
      Reply #68: Sep 12, 2020 04:03:26 pm
      I think this will be a far tougher game than many outsiders are expecting.

Leeds will be well up for this, and the lack of a crowd will work in their favour.

2-1 to us....... but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they nick it 0-1.
      Kopite78
      Reply #69: Sep 12, 2020 04:11:17 pm
      I think this will be a far tougher game than many outsiders are expecting.

Leeds will be well up for this, and the lack of a crowd will work in their favour.

2-1 to us....... but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they nick it 0-1.

You think this Leeds defence can keep out our front 3?
      Wow
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #70: Sep 12, 2020 04:11:23 pm

Aye that’s the match thread alright! Pinch of salt though coz the match thread is just a cathartic place to vent your frustrations! It’s the idiots who keep in talking horse sh*te in between matches that do my nut!

Just on bus to to town fir a few jars and hopefully enjoy the match. Can’t bloody wait!

Come on you red men!!!!!
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #71: Sep 12, 2020 04:19:36 pm
      Team should be out soon. Wonder if Hendo will start. And TAA. Really need this to get going. Time to have a calming pre match beer.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #72: Sep 12, 2020 04:26:35 pm

Hope not, it’s a risk that doesn’t need to be taken. We have Chelsea next so ease him into that game by being introduced in the 2nd half today.

Hope to see Keita and Minamino start today but can’t see it happening, despite them being good throughout pre-season. Minamino in particular, really stood out recently.
      Redangel

• 8,084 posts | 966 
      Reply #73: Sep 12, 2020 04:29:20 pm
      Absolutely buzzing for this, for the first time in thirty years we take to the pitch on the opening day of the season as the reigning League Champions! Leeds will be really up for this, but so will our lads, looking forward to a good game and a positive result for the Redmen!
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #74: Sep 12, 2020 04:29:29 pm
      Up the reds!! Enjoy the season and embrace this brilliant football team folks

4-0 today I’m going with I expect a tough first half though
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #75: Sep 12, 2020 04:29:53 pm
      Hope not, it’s a risk that doesn’t need to be taken. We have Chelsea next so ease him into that game by being introduced in the 2nd half today.

Hope to see Keita and Minamino start today but can’t see it happening, despite them being good throughout pre-season. Minamino in particular, really stood out recently.

Yea, Hendo I don't think has played much, is a risk.
      Prob Keita of the 2 of them more likely to start, but Minamino has looked sharp in preseason alright, might see him at some stage
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #76: Sep 12, 2020 04:33:06 pm

Quick Reply