Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre-Match: Liverpool v Leeds United (Sat 12th September 17.30 KO)

Read 7206 times
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Pre-Match: Liverpool v Leeds United (Sat 12th September 17.30 KO)
      Sep 09, 2020 04:56:56 pm
      The new Premiership Champions Liverpool take on promoted Leeds United winners of the Championship last season on the first day of a new exciting season.

It only seems like 5 minutes ago that last season finished due to the huge delay in re-starting last season due to the covid virus.

Could be a fair few weeks/months yet before we get any supporters in the grounds so it will be still a case of supporting the team from the safety of our own homes.

I'm expecting Jürgen to go with his strongest 11 as I think this game willl be quite a stern test for us, I think we've really missed Jordan Henderson's presence in Midfield of late so I'm hoping to see him back in the first 11 on Saturday.

Alisson
      Trent
      Virgil
      Gomez
      Robbo
      Hendo
      Fab
      Minamino
      Mane
      Salah
      Bobby

Would be my team if all is fit and ready to go, let's hope we have a winning start to a very important new season coming up. A nice solid 2-0 win would get us off to a cracking start.

« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2020 05:29:20 pm by JD »
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Re: Liverpool v Leeds United 17.30 ko
      Reply #1: Sep 09, 2020 05:05:49 pm
      NB: Team no longer available

Or else Milner instead of Minamino against his local team.

A win to start off the campaign will be good.
      sebby
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 622 posts | 59 
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool v Leeds United (Sat 12th September 17.30 KO)
      Reply #2: Sep 09, 2020 05:41:38 pm
      Liverpool v Leeds, Classic fixture from the past, was this forum even around the last time they met in premier league ? Should win but with an empty stadium, not feeling that confident tbh, and Leeds will be up for it.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      Reply #3: Sep 09, 2020 05:44:23 pm
      Liverpool v Leeds, Classic fixture from the past, was this forum even around the last time they met in premier league ? Should win but with an empty stadium, not feeling that confident tbh, and Leeds will be up for it.

We are the Champions and Henderson is around the team and will pump up the atmosphere. We will win.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #4: Sep 09, 2020 05:49:11 pm
      Suspect Hendo only fit enough for bench eh ?

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #5: Sep 09, 2020 06:06:31 pm
      I'm sure I read somewhere that this lot mark man to man in every position.

I really hope they try that against us.
      They'll get F***ing destroyed.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      Reply #6: Sep 09, 2020 06:13:17 pm
      I'm sure I read somewhere that this lot mark man to man in every position.

I really hope they try that against us.
      They'll get F***ing destroyed.

If they do it, they are screwed against us. Mane and Robertson will lick their fingers.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #7: Sep 09, 2020 07:02:04 pm
      Any time I watched Leeds last season was impressed by how they try to play football, even when under pressure.
      I'm not expecting an easy game by any means, they come to Anfield with nothing to loose, and will be told to go out and express themselves.
      We're the Champions, and the pressure is on us as the win is expected.
      Think we've been mixed in preseason, but tbh not sure how relevant preseason is to the real sh*t.
      In saying that. Minamino has impressed, so will be interesting to see if he gets a start - I can't see him in the first XI, Keita either, not sure that level of trust is there yet, plus would expect safety first from Jürgen then see how the game pans out.

Alisson
      TAA Gomez VVD Robbo
          Gini Fab Hendo
         Mane Bob Salah

We got off to an amazing start last season, winning a pile of matches, so this match is important.
      Think there will be nerves on both sides, but would hope at home, and with the quality we have, will have enough to get the 3 points.
      Hard to believe saying that already ... get the 3 points :)
      Looking forward to watching this one on the weekend
       :kop5cf8koxp6:
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,232 posts | 751 
      Reply #8: Sep 09, 2020 07:17:39 pm
      Let's get off to winning ways, with a 2  0, win for the Reds !
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #9: Sep 09, 2020 07:39:29 pm
      Brilliant having the pre match thread back, until we kick off Saturday it won’t feel proper, anyhoo onto the match against’Dirty Leeds’, I know I know their just a bit different from those by gone days, still tho, they historically are a rival, the kind of rivalry that doesn’t go away,

It’s been a long time since we locked horns but I welcome them back to the top flight and that’s as far as my sentiments go, it’s a difficult game to predict because we don’t know their form, we know they are a good side, but the prem is different level to what they are used to, I think Bielsa is a smart cookie and is building a good side, good enough to survive in this league and that should be their aim, their playing us at the right time from their PoV, so I’m not expecting them to do any damage,

For us, I think we’re as ready as we can be at this stage, and be good enough to take three points that kick starts our ‘Atrack’ on another winning campaign, for me the team picks itself, when you factor in injuries and what not, you can toss a coin for who plays alongside Fabinho & Gini in midfield, between Milner & Naby, personally I’d go with Naby, I think he’s ready to be the beast he always threatened to be, .........

........                                                    Alisson

Williams      Gomez.  Virgil.   Robertson

Gini.       Fabinho       Keita

Salah.       Firmino.      Mane

Bench; Adrian, Matip, Milner, Minamino, Jones, Origi, Elliot

It’s perfectly feasible that Milner will get the nod for a midfield spot, might even be in rather than Gini, glad I don’t have that headache, so first victim is Leeds, I don’t see anything other than a victory for the proper Champions.

2-0 Redmen

Y  N  W  A

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #10: Sep 09, 2020 07:44:44 pm
      El Loco a bit of a genius by all accounts and he will have been up for the last 2 weeks watching every game we have ever played under Klopp.

This will be a tough old game but I dont expect Leeds to be scared to come out and play which may help.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #11: Sep 09, 2020 09:52:17 pm
      El Loco a bit of a genius by all accounts and he will have been up for the last 2 weeks watching every game we have ever played under Klopp.

This will be a tough old game but I dont expect Leeds to be scared to come out and play which may help.

Very keen to see how Bielsa tries to stop us and it'll be a great test but one I expect to win.

I'd go for the same side as Clint posted with Minamino in the midfield alongside Keita.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #12: Sep 09, 2020 10:34:07 pm
      Am I right to think the Liverpool vs. Leeds matches were the occasion for a bit of action with casuals back in the 70s and 80s?

LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #13: Sep 09, 2020 11:01:21 pm
      So F***ing depressing having no fans there
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #14: Sep 09, 2020 11:35:35 pm
      Leeds are an unknown quantity to me but I know that they haven't played a team like us for a long long time.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #15: Sep 10, 2020 12:40:23 am
      Am I right to think the Liverpool vs. Leeds matches were the occasion for a bit of action with casuals back in the 70s and 80s?

Yes, charming bunch. Remember them torching a burger van in Bournemouth
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #16: Sep 10, 2020 09:22:43 am
      So f**king depressing having no fans there

Would have been great having fans at this one. Obviously Leeds have got a loud following and Anfield will have been right up for it, late KO on a Saturday in the first game of a title defending season.

Would have been a cracker
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #17: Sep 10, 2020 10:34:05 am

You are more than right.

( I'll say no more ! )
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,232 posts | 751 
      Reply #18: Sep 10, 2020 12:04:21 pm
      Toned down my original prediction, I was going to go for a 5  0, win for the Reds. But have posted a 2 0 victory in the prediction league. Hopefully starting off with a clean sheet.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #19: Sep 10, 2020 01:13:10 pm
      I think Bielsa has a bit of Nino Espirito Santos about him, and Leeds try to play decent footy as do Wolves. The managers really believe in their players.
      Only down side for them, lack of experience against a side with the quality we have.
      I expect them to come and have a right go, not sit back like arse of late. They’ll look good for a while, but I think we’ll undo them from about 20 mins on.
      Gonna end up 3:0 to the red men, and a tactical rethink by Leeds.
      If the fans were allowed back in already. There would be casualties. They have an element who are always up for a scrap. About 90%' of them.
      Come on you red men, big 3 points !
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #20: Sep 10, 2020 01:22:56 pm
      I think Bielsa has a bit of Nino Espirito Santos about him, and Leeds try to play decent footy as do Wolves. The managers really believe in their players.

Difference between the two though is that Wolves had a lot of money behind them & were able to sign Champions League quality players as soon as they were promoted (think they even signed Neves from Porto when they were still in the Championship!)

It's very difficult to play good, free-flowing football at this level unless you've got top players to do it. If you try and do it with a squad full of Championship level players you'll more than likely get found out. Norwich last season were a prime example, who funnily enough we played at home on the opening day too
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      Reply #21: Sep 10, 2020 03:05:33 pm
      Bielsa will be up for it but Klopp always has a plan for these types of games.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #22: Sep 10, 2020 05:49:26 pm
      https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000md9j

Kelly interviews Jürgen about the upcoming season.

Quick Reply