Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre-Match: Liverpool v Leeds United (Sat 12th September 17.30 KO)

Read 7209 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool v Leeds United (Sat 12th September 17.30 KO)
      Reply #23: Sep 11, 2020 02:36:29 am
      I don’t think they will have anything for us. Should be an easy win. Our squad is literally miles ahead of theirs.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #24: Sep 11, 2020 07:38:10 am
      Guessing on a lineup:

Alisson
      Trent, Gomez, Virgil, Robbo
      Fab, Gini, Keita
      Salah, Bobby, Sadio
      Subs: Adrian, Matip, Milner, Hendo, Jones, Minamino, Origi
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #25: Sep 11, 2020 08:54:27 am
      I don’t think they will have anything for us. Should be an easy win. Our squad is literally miles ahead of theirs.

I tend to agree, we'd have to have a really sh*t game or being incredibly complacent for them to beat us and with Jürgen in charge I doubt that will happen. I suspect it could be a bit of a rude awakening/arrival for them.
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #26: Sep 11, 2020 09:05:48 am
      I’m hoping that they come out all guns blazing and we pick them off and crumble their confidence. They haven’t come up against a VVD yet.

3-0 Reds
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #27: Sep 11, 2020 09:42:13 am
      I’m hoping that they come out all guns blazing and we pick them off and crumble their confidence. They haven’t come up against a VVD yet.

3-0 Reds

I think they might pinch a goal, but over 90 minutes surely we'll have too much for them.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #28: Sep 11, 2020 10:16:37 am
      Think it might be similar to the Norwich opener last season. No doubt they'll be up for it and they could carve out a few chances early on, but I think as the game progresses we'll have too much quality for them

Was a bit apathetic about the new season starting but I'm really excited about tomorrow now. Think the fact I'll be out on the ale all day for it has certainly helped, like!
      Davbro
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 98 posts | 22 
      Reply #29: Sep 11, 2020 12:46:51 pm
      This fixture came a little too soon for my family as my step Dad is a Leeds supporter and my step brother and I wanted to get him to Anfield or just Liverpool (if Covid had calmed down). Growing up we used to watch the game at my familys home with all my Liverpool supporting mates and when Liverpool scored or won my step Dad used to always threaten to kick us out haha.  We lost one of our group and my best friend to cancer before he seen liverpool hoist the league trophy high (he actually predicted it) so now we are all getting together in my step Dads house (dont worry the house bubble isn't as bad here) again to be big kids again and enjoy this massive fixture, and when Liverpool score my step dad will be the one kicked out because we are all bigger than him now haha.
      Sorry if that was boring peeps but this fixture has a special meaning in my heart.  :D
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #30: Sep 11, 2020 02:17:40 pm
      I am looking forward to finally having some proper games back though it was only a short break.

As for the game I guess the style of play Leeds offer will play into our hands as they will give us lots of space to expose and attack.  If out front three have their finishing boots on we should get the 3 points

As for line up I have not followed closely enough in preseason to have opinion on who to play hough seens debate is between having 3 man middle with Fabinho-Gini-Ketia or have double pivot with Minamino. Personally I like to see Naby given a run early to see if he can continue from his good play after the return.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #31: Sep 11, 2020 02:21:19 pm
      Two teams who in the past twelve months know a lot about winning and about winning by one goal.

Should actually be a good game.  Bielsa will definitely want to make a big impact on the Premier League.  He'll probably have felt forced to wait an extra twelve months to actually get to this point.

Liverpool have to open up with three points though.  I think it's going to be hard enough without fans etc to have a banana slip on day zero.  Quite enjoyed last season not having any transfer issues hanging over us when the season kicked off - be glad when that shuts as well.

Up the reds!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #32: Sep 11, 2020 02:42:59 pm
      Two teams who in the past twelve months know a lot about winning and about winning by one goal.

Should actually be a good game.  Bielsa will definitely want to make a big impact on the Premier League.  He'll probably have felt forced to wait an extra twelve months to actually get to this point.

Liverpool have to open up with three points though.  I think it's going to be hard enough without fans etc to have a banana slip on day zero.  Quite enjoyed last season not having any transfer issues hanging over us when the season kicked off - be glad when that shuts as well.

Up the reds!

I think it might actually help not to have fans for this one, there might have been a nervous energy in the crowd.
      Kopite78
      Reply #33: Sep 11, 2020 02:45:16 pm
      I think it might actually help not to have fans for this one, there might have been a nervous energy in the crowd.

What?

First game as defending premier league champions?

The atmosphere would have been electric.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #34: Sep 11, 2020 02:53:17 pm
      What?

First game as defending premier league champions?

The atmosphere would have been electric.

Late KO on a Saturday too, everyone would have been bladdered. Would have been bouncing
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #35: Sep 11, 2020 03:20:45 pm
      Great to have Leeds back in the Prem and back at Anfield.

Big season for Nabby, AOC and Minamino esp if we lose Gini. Look to Salah to go big again and Mane. Could be a tight game as Leeds will be out to cause us big problems. They'll be wound up as well.Few tackles flying.

1-0..2-1 there or thereabouts
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #36: Sep 11, 2020 04:11:28 pm
      Did I hear right that players will take the knee for every single match next season, this is getting a bit silly now isn't it, I understood and applauded doing it for one match, much like doing a 1 minute's silence when someone in the game passes away or other events but putting this issue above all other issues facing the world, especially at a time when so many are suffering and worried about Covid is sort of perverse and I'm not convinced it will achieve anything positive. What I mean by that is that almost everyone rejects racism already and huge strides have been taken to combat it in recent times, which must surely be very good, but instead of celebrating that we are presented with a narrative of all non Black people essentially being racist which is not really fair, to put it mildly.
      Kopite78
      Reply #37: Sep 11, 2020 04:14:56 pm
      Did I hear right that players will take the knee for every single match next season, this is getting a bit silly now isn't it, I understood and applauded doing it for one match, much like doing a 1 minute's silence when someone in the game passes away or other events but putting this issue above all other issues facing the world, especially at a time when so many are suffering and worried about Covid is sort of perverse and I'm not convinced it will achieve anything positive.

If you want to make real change it has to be a concerted and consistent message though no?

A one off thing strikes as nothing more than a token effort with no real intention
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #38: Sep 11, 2020 04:25:41 pm
      If you want to make real change it has to be a concerted and consistent message though no?

A one off thing strikes as nothing more than a token effort with no real intention

I think real change is brought by direct action.

Agree fully with the Black Lives Matter message but I think the kneeling before matches could just end up turning into nothing more than lip service. For example all of the presenters and pundits on Sky Sports were wearing BLM badges towards the end of last season, then you've got Le Tissier on Twitter saying that he's against the movement and only wears the badge because the bosses stuck them on everyone. I think stuff like that takes it away from being a cause and turns it into a box-ticking exercise
      Kopite78
      Reply #39: Sep 11, 2020 04:28:26 pm
      I think real change is brought by direct action.

Agree fully with the Black Lives Matter message but I think the kneeling before matches could just end up turning into nothing more than lip service. For example all of the presenters and pundits on Sky Sports were wearing BLM badges towards the end of last season, then you've got Le Tissier on Twitter saying that he's against the movement and only wears the badge because the bosses stuck them on everyone. I think it takes it away from being a cause and more to being just a box-ticking exercise

Yeah probably mate but that simply is an indication of the individuals

More the point I was making had it only been done the once then its so easily forgotten
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #40: Sep 11, 2020 06:07:38 pm
      Yeah probably mate but that simply is an indication of the individuals

More the point I was making had it only been done the once then its so easily forgotten

yes but every single match, every one for a whole season!!! and what change is it that's being asked? If you look at our team, can it be claimed that there is any systemic racial bias in place, what about other teams or football in general?  I'm all for having a discussion about this, but at the moment its just empty virtue signalling, it doesn't mean anything and as such I think it does more harm than good.
      Kopite78
      Reply #41: Sep 11, 2020 06:12:23 pm
      yes but every single match, every one for a whole season!!! and what change is it that's being asked? If you look at our team, can it be claimed that there is any systemic racial bias in place, what about other teams or football in general?  I'm all for having a discussion about this, but at the moment its just empty virtue signalling, it doesn't mean anything and as such I think it does more harm than good.

It's not about the teams who are systemically racist it's about some fans who are and these players are their idols and can hopefully impact their mindset

I have no issues with it whatsoever as I 100%believe we are all the same and dont have a racist thought in my mindset or xenophobic or anti gay or whatever.

I dont understand what more harm than good it does?

Only way that's the case is if there is systemic racism and with the ingrained racists within society
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #42: Sep 11, 2020 06:35:41 pm
      It's not about the teams who are systemically racist it's about some fans who are and these players are their idols and can hopefully impact their mindset

I have no issues with it whatsoever as I 100%believe we are all the same and dont have a racist thought in my mindset or xenophobic or anti gay or whatever.

I dont understand what more harm than good it does?

Only way that's the case is if there is systemic racism and with the ingrained racists within society

So do they take the knee forever then? I mean in all seriousness what has to change for them to think job done no need to do that any more?
      The symbology is also quite disturbing, taking the knee historically is a sign of supplication, normally only done at church, when proposing to a partner or in defeat. Who are the players taking the knee to, a movement or a race?
      The ideal of no to racism is a fine and noble  ideal but the messaging with blm is horrible, it insinuates that Only Black Lives matter, a better message already exists "No to racism" and also "Kick it out". Is there really a need for this third non-inclusive message?
      Kopite78
      Reply #43: Sep 11, 2020 06:39:05 pm
      So do they take the knee forever then? I mean in all seriousness what has to change for them to think job done no need to do that any more?
      The symbology is also quite disturbing, taking the knee historically is a sign of supplication, normally only done at church, when proposing to a partner or in defeat. Who are the players taking the knee to, a movement or a race?
      The ideal of no to racism is a fine and noble  ideal but the messaging with blm is horrible, it insinuates that Only Black Lives matter, a better message already exists "No to racism" and also "Kick it out". Is there really a need for this third non-inclusive message?

I honestly dont think this is the place for this discussion in a pre match thread

If you want to start it somewhere else I'll happily join but if I'm honest, and I mean no disrespect here, I think your type of attitude is a big part of the problem

Another place maybe
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #44: Sep 11, 2020 06:50:22 pm
      I honestly dont think this is the place for this discussion in a pre match thread

If you want to start it somewhere else I'll happily join but if I'm honest, and I mean no disrespect here, I think your type of attitude is a big part of the problem

Another place maybe

;D, you mean no disrespect, really? You sure about that?
      Kopite78
      Reply #45: Sep 11, 2020 06:52:19 pm
      ;D, you mean no disrespect, really? You sure about that?

Yeah honestly I dont

Like I say if you want to start this somewhere else because this type of conversation gathers pace quickly then I'm happy to join in
      Pre match thread isnt the place

Quick Reply