Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Leeds?

Alisson
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      1 (0.9%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      2 (1.9%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Naby KeĆÆta
      1 (0.9%)
      Mohammed Salah
      100 (93.5%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (0.9%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Curtis Jones
      2 (1.9%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Voting closed: Sep 16, 2020 07:22:21 pm

Liverpool 4-3 Leeds United: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 17511 times
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Re: Liverpool 4-3 Leeds United: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #345: Sep 12, 2020 11:52:46 pm
      Very lucky to get the three points today. In fairness to Leeds, they had a go and played some good stuff at times but if we were anywhere near our best then we would have comfortably beaten them by 4 or 5.

Ali - Seen some posts criticising him which I find a little harsh. Donā€™t think he could have done anything for any of the goals. You can have the best keeper in the world but if the defence infront of you is f**king sh*t then thereā€™s not much you can do.

Trent - thought he had a very poor game by his usual high standards. All over the place at times and his delivery was poor too. He looked a yard off the pace to me.

Gomez - dreadful. Iā€™ve felt hes been in poor form for a while actually but tonight it was school boy defending from him. Really sh*t at times. Iā€™d consider putting matip in for the time being and give him a bit of a kick up the arse.

Virgil - also sh*te and the second Leeds goal was completely down to him. He had to take control of the situation and he made a complete mess of it. He did score though.

Robertson - only defender who can take any real credit today. Decent going forward, delivery was good, and donā€™t remember him making any defensive errors.

Henderson - Looked off the pace. Poor. Shouldnā€™t have started. Right decision dragging him off.

Gini - Donā€™t remember him being on the pitch in all honesty other than a shocking miss in the second half that would have made the score 4-2.

Keita - I thought he was our best midfielder. Didnā€™t do anything of note particularly but I never felt he was having a poor game either. Unlucky to be subbed.

Mane - He had an off day today. Nothing fell for him. Sloppy on the ball at times. Itā€™s the worst game Iā€™ve seen him have for a very long time. Nothing to worry about. Happens to everyone.

Bobby - worried about him though. Like Gomez Iā€™ve felt his form has been pretty sh*t for a while now. I was never bothered whether he scored or not because he was always heavily involved in games regardless, but these days you barely notice him.

Salah - Back to his best today. Canā€™t believe there is a post above that says they didnā€™t think he did much. Not only did he score a hat trick, everything went through him today and he was a constant threat/menace all game. He literally carried us to three points today.

To summarise, sh*te performance but we got the points which is all that matters. We need to get a grip though. Weā€™ve gone from having a solid defence to being ridiculously easy to score past. Get back to treating every game like itā€™s a cup final rather than turning up expecting to slap everyone 5-0.
      « Last Edit: Sep 12, 2020 11:57:53 pm by HamannsTheMan »
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #346: Sep 13, 2020 12:10:23 am
      Shout out to Curtis Jones' Mam  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

I Think the kids got it, but instead of following the ball, he should of followed the player, understandable since he just came one, but he needs to learn to look at threats around him.  He is a potential Gerrard, but it's too soon at the mo
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #347: Sep 13, 2020 01:45:51 am
      Agree with the Becker shout, heā€™s lost his mojo right now

He just needs to grow his hair out again.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #348: Sep 13, 2020 02:32:57 am
      Tough game against Leeds with the way Bielsa has them playing especially when a couple of players are having an off day. Glad to see Salah back at it, but thought at any point from the hour mark onwards Bobby should of been hooked for Taki and I would of taken off Gini before Keita.

VVD scared me a bit as well, deffo an off week for him!

Hendo and Trent didn't look fully fit and it showed.

Three points taken on opening day is all you can ask for though.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,027 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #349: Sep 13, 2020 07:20:25 am
      Our defence was poor today. Odd.

It's been this way since after the Covid-19 break.

Good thing we won eventually.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #350: Sep 13, 2020 07:55:20 am

Only Robertson played well at the back thought Bobby went missing, thought Salah mom. Well played Leeds
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #351: Sep 13, 2020 08:13:14 am
      MOTM obviously Salah for his calmness and wonderful powerful strike.

Van Dijk was too casual for their second goal but recovered well.

Jones was given some faith by Klopp playing in front of Milner.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #352: Sep 13, 2020 08:19:12 am
      That combination between Firmino, Mane and Salah. Firmino with a delicious turn in his own half, then the sharp passes between the other two, if only ManƩ could have tried to thread it one more time through to Mo, would have been a lovely goal.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #353: Sep 13, 2020 08:31:04 am
      Huge relief. Impressed with Leeds today, and happy to see them do well, but we were shocking.

Stone cold penalty to get us going, but relying on a fortunate penalty at the end to save our embarrassment.

Delighted with Salah grabbing a hat trick first match though. That can only bode well. Absolutely smashed in his perfect 2nd goal of the game. Clearly our best player on the pitch.

Firmino impressed with his magic again. It's not what he does, but what he doesn't do that is the secret. You don't see it. You don't notice it. But what a game he plays! He was on the pitch for all 4 goals yesterday! What would we have done without him?
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #354: Sep 13, 2020 09:00:25 am
      Just after watching Match Of The Day and I must say, what an impressive job they made of making it look like Leeds dominated the game. I mean Iā€™m pretty sure they showed all 6 of the shots they had on goal as well as their 2 clear offside goals, what reason they had to include them I have no idea as there was no doubt over either one of them, same as Maneā€™s goal which they did exclude. People must have been a bit confused when the stats appeared afterwards showing 22 shots to 6 and xG of 2.7 to about 0.3.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #355: Sep 13, 2020 09:06:48 am
      Just after watching Match Of The Day and I must say, what an impressive job they made of making it look like Leeds dominated the game. I mean Iā€™m pretty sure they showed all 6 of the shots they had on goal as well as their 2 clear offside goals, what reason they had to include them I have no idea as there was no doubt over either one of them, same as Maneā€™s goal which they did exclude. People must have been a bit confused when the stats appeared afterwards showing 22 shots to 6 and xG of 2.7 to about 0.3.

Ha ha but come on, that was to be expected. The narrative was always going to be ā€˜amazing Leedsā€™ and ā€˜amazing Salahā€™
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #356: Sep 13, 2020 10:13:31 am
      Shambolic defending flattered Leeds who it looks will give many teams a fright this season.
      MOTM Salah who looked as sharp as his new hairstyle.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #357: Sep 13, 2020 10:48:01 am
      Really play like this against any of the Top boys and we lose easily!

Fair enough. Thatā€™s your assumption. My other reasonable assumption is that we may not play like this against the top boys. The key is we walked away with three points at the end of the game. Thatā€™s all to yesterdayā€™s game.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #358: Sep 13, 2020 10:53:52 am
      Fair enough. Thatā€™s your assumption. My other reasonable assumption is that we may not play like this against the top boys. The key is we walked away with three points at the end of the game. Thatā€™s all to yesterdayā€™s game.

Nevertheless as a precursor it did not leave most with great confidence for games against superior opponents.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #359: Sep 13, 2020 11:19:08 am
      Nevertheless as a precursor it did not leave most with great confidence for games against superior opponents.

ā€œYouā€™re as good as your last gameā€ is essentially in force right now. Adding to how well teams like Chelsea acquired in this window vs whom we have acquired, itā€™s a double whammy.

Put these two sentiments together and we get worry and fear. One of the best ways to alleviate this for most of us plain fans isnā€™t ā€œtrainingā€, but ā€œwe need to acquire - has to be so and soā€.

In truth we need just one thing. All existing players to get back to their devastating form by the next match. Possible and can be done. It all depends on how well we work in training.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #360: Sep 13, 2020 11:43:39 am
      Really don't get the Allison criticism on here and elsewhere after yesterday, this  attitude of 'Can't remember the last save he made' stuff is nonsense. Not a chance with any of the goals yet still people complaining., bizarre. Suppose with lovren, lallana etc gone people are looking for scapegoats now
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #361: Sep 13, 2020 01:12:06 pm
      Plenty of invention on the front foot - to laid back on the back foot. Defending has to be about getting the basics right, fundamentals etc. Plus the back 4 are to high at times and it's not difficult if we lose possession for teams to get in behind us. Have to get back to high energy defending, not strolling out to challenge.

But Salah was buzzing from the off. Keita still needs to be a bit more confident. Got out with 3 points and maybe we did need to push for the winner, a stroll was not what we needed.
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #362: Sep 13, 2020 02:01:15 pm
      Leeds were excellent last night, the pressing, the way they attack in numbers, the incredible work rate. Remind you of anyone? Bielsa is a special coach to get that level of performance from mostly Championship level players. They'll finish in the top ten for sure.

I've no worries about Liverpool, we'll find our best soon enough.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #363: Sep 13, 2020 02:32:29 pm
      Leeds were excellent last night, the pressing, the way they attack in numbers, the incredible work rate. Remind you of anyone? Bielsa is a special coach to get that level of performance from mostly Championship level players. They'll finish in the top ten for sure.

I've no worries about Liverpool, we'll find our best soon enough.

Hopefully we start finding our best against Chelsea because if our defence is that bad against them then they'll murder us. There is a weird kind of complacency in the defence ever since we won the league and we need to snap the F**k out of it, I'd even consider dropping Virgil just to give him a bit of a kick up the arse.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #364: Sep 13, 2020 02:43:26 pm
      We did what we've been doing for the last 2 seasons, and found a way to win and take the points.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #365: Sep 13, 2020 07:24:36 pm
      We did what we've been doing for the last 2 seasons, and found a way to win and take the points.

So another nailbiting season becons, I think my ticker can put up with another one, but its touch and go  ;)
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #366: Sep 13, 2020 08:13:12 pm
      Mad how no matter the type of game we encounter over the last two seasons, we always find a way to win.

Great to see Mo bag a hat trick, would love to see him have another year like his first with us.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #367: Sep 13, 2020 08:36:33 pm
      Hopefully we start finding our best against Chelsea because if our defence is that bad against them then they'll murder us. There is a weird kind of complacency in the defence ever since we won the league and we need to snap the f**k out of it, I'd even consider dropping Virgil just to give him a bit of a kick up the arse.

Drop Virgil?

You can guarantee we'll be murdered if did something as stupid as that. You don't drop the best CB in the world after a couple of iffy performances. Especially when he scores goals even when not at his best.

We will be better next week. Trent will knock the rust off and Matip will probably come in for Joe. Virgil will be his usual world class self.

Quick Reply