Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Leeds?

Alisson
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      1 (0.9%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      2 (1.9%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Naby Keïta
      1 (0.9%)
      Mohammed Salah
      100 (93.5%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (0.9%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Curtis Jones
      2 (1.9%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Voting closed: Sep 16, 2020 07:22:21 pm

Liverpool 4-3 Leeds United: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 17528 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Liverpool 4-3 Leeds United: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #368: Sep 13, 2020 09:15:00 pm
      Drop Virgil?

You can guarantee we'll be murdered if did something as stupid as that. You don't drop the best CB in the world after a couple of iffy performances. Especially when he scores goals even when not at his best.

We will be better next week. Trent will knock the rust off and Matip will probably come in for Joe. Virgil will be his usual world class self.

I'm just thinking he needs to know he's not undroppable, same as any player.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #369: Sep 13, 2020 10:21:45 pm

Is there an issue with VVD's laid back style.Does that influence others to be a bit complacent. Does seem that we have lost a bit of aggression, bit of bite. We give the opposition a tiny bit to much time to get composed, pick out runners..we did that for their second goal. We have to get back to high energy defending, doing the basics. Nobody is undropable..nobody.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #370: Sep 13, 2020 11:07:24 pm
      Is there any betting action on the "drop Virgil" idea? I could use the easy money.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #371: Sep 13, 2020 11:35:11 pm

F**k em, overrated. Give the tall ginger kid a run.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #372: Sep 13, 2020 11:45:36 pm
      F**k em, overrated. Give the tall ginger kid a run.

VVD overrated?
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #373: Sep 14, 2020 12:19:44 am
      At the end of the day, Gomez runs right through a player instead of standing him up.
      Virgil too cool when he needed to hoof it.
      2 goals.
      Can’t say they would score either under normal circumstances 🤷‍♂️
      Two gifts which I’m sure won’t happen again.
      Think sometimes when you’re top of the pile, not only do the opposition raise their game, some of ours think it’s gonna be a stroll because they are so superior. Think Jürgen will knock that out of them. Sure you’ll see a different beast next week.

All hail Salah. Made the difference. And as for the pens, nailed on all day long. And who’s to say we wouldn’t have scored if either of the fouls weren’t committed ?

Not all doom and gloom. And on to the rent boys 😘
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #374: Sep 14, 2020 06:55:40 am
      Defence needs to tighten up, at least with Mo Salah in such good form, we are scoring more goals than conceding, at this very early stage of the season !
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #375: Sep 14, 2020 07:27:21 am
      We need to remember that we became almost unbeatable because every single one of our lads, worked their nuts off for the full duration of every match, and some !
      We didn’t win all we won because of who we are, and just turned up.

Our concentration levels, determination and work rate have to return. Also a bit more respect as to how good the opposition can be if we let them.

We gotta get back to last seasons level or we are gonna be hugely disappointed !
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #376: Sep 14, 2020 08:55:27 am
      Shocking defending. amazing Salah. thats it.

A whole week to prepare for the cheatski mob. 0-0 written all over it. ;D.
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #377: Sep 14, 2020 09:48:00 am
      Amazing how people purr over VVD like at Brighton when he headed the ball over the attacker to himself but when he makes an uncharacteristic mistake all over him . That's the way he plays a footballer not a hoofer if you want that let's go for a big clogger at the back eh
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #378: Sep 14, 2020 09:54:05 am
      It's nice to be in a position where LFC haven't sold off the crown jewels.
      A fews years ago and Salah would be gone to Spain and that would have been a loss.
      Shows the importance of keeping a team together.
      No doubt the defence will get out of their funk soon enough,
      but glad to have Salah and Mane there to dig the team out when needed.

Tough decisions to be made for Chelsea.
      Hopefully Fabinho returns.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #379: Sep 14, 2020 09:59:33 am
      Amazing how people purr over VVD like at Brighton when he headed the ball over the attacker to himself but when he makes an uncharacteristic mistake all over him . That's the way he plays a footballer not a hoofer if you want that let's go for a big clogger at the back eh

so are we not aloud to ever criticise him then or do you think he's been playing well lately. You know it is possible to heap praise in one game and be critical the next.

Virgil is a superb defender, but he has been a bit sh*t since we won the league, but its just a dip, he'll regain his form, I have no doubt about that.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #380: Sep 14, 2020 10:00:04 am
      3 clean sheets in our last 10 Premier League games since the restart.  (30%) after a mini good patch in the middle of the season.

Having said all of that though we started last season's Premier League campaign with just 2 clean sheets in 15 games.  I think I started a topic about it but the fact is we did win 14 and draw 1 of those games!

Admittedly it was generally 1 goal a game max.  Certainly can't go on conceding 3 a game.  The Klich goal was a well taken goal but the other two were definitely goals that shouldn't be given away.

I was surprised given the nature of the game at that point that van Dijk felt he could just nudge the ball to the side.  Not going to break his balls though.  He did score one and was instrumental in the Salah goal so he left the game in positive credit for me.

Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #381: Sep 14, 2020 10:16:25 am
      Good in the sense that it made the side work their balls off to get the result. Also the defence will get a kick up the backside to get them fully up to speed. Could easily sleepwalk into the season the way Spurs did but now we are fully at it. Thanks to a Leeds team fully intent on making a statement, they pushed us all the way and could've cost us 2 pts.

So all in all - a very positive start.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #382: Sep 14, 2020 10:19:48 am
      Good in the sense that it made the side work their balls off to get the result. Also the defence will get a kick up the backside to get them fully up to speed. Could easily sleepwalk into the season the way Spurs did but now we are fully at it. Thanks to a Leeds team fully intent on making a statement, they pushed us all the way and could've cost us 2 pts.

So all in all - a very positive start.

Yeah, good point, that could be the kick up the arse the team needs, I certainly hope so, because if we play like that against the chavs we are in trouble.
      Also lets not forget that that was effectively a game after an international break, plus first game of the season, it was kind of a perfect storm of inconsistency.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #383: Sep 14, 2020 10:37:02 am
      Thought Van Dijk's error seemed to take a bit of the attention off Gomez, who was far from his best again. He was brilliant in 18/19 but I felt as though he never reached those same levels in 19/20. Easy to forget he's still only 23 mind, whole career more or less still ahead of him
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #384: Sep 14, 2020 10:38:47 am
      so are we not aloud to ever criticise him then or do you think he's been playing well lately. You know it is possible to heap praise in one game and be critical the next.

Virgil is a superb defender, but he has been a bit sh*t since we won the league, but its just a dip, he'll regain his form, I have no doubt about that.

Its not about criticism I am making the point that it is how he plays a risk taker and footballer if he had  made that pass people would have been all over it fine lines yes he could have hoofed it and yes he was at fault but the good far outweighs the bad maybe a little reminder he needed
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #385: Sep 14, 2020 10:38:56 am
      Thought Van Dijk's error seemed to take a bit of the attention off Gomez, who was far from his best again. He was brilliant in 18/19 but I felt as though he never reached those same levels in 19/20. Easy to forget he's still only 23 mind, whole career more or less still ahead of him

I'm not sure I agree, I think Joe was very good last season, but he was poor in the game yesterday.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #386: Sep 14, 2020 10:40:42 am
      All slaughtering the defence, including me, but a big mention to the midfield as well.
      Not over quick on getting back to cover for large parts, and a bit detached from each other at times as well, giving Leeds more space and time to operate in than they would normally have got.
      Big shake up all round, not just the defenders.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #387: Sep 14, 2020 10:44:00 am
      Its not about criticism I am making the point that it is how he plays a risk taker and footballer if he had  made that pass people would have been all over it fine lines yes he could have hoofed it and yes he was at fault but the good far outweighs the bad maybe a little reminder he needed

Thanks for the reminder, we'd all forgotten we have the best CB in the world!! ;-)

BTW I disagree Virgil is a risk taker, no CB should ever be a risk taker, he is a highly skilled and confident player and at times that can look laid back, but it most certainly isn't, at the moment he's just a bit sloppy in his play, his focus is not quite right, but he'll get back to his best soon, I have no doubt about that.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #388: Sep 14, 2020 11:01:42 am
      I'm not sure I agree, I think Joe was very good last season, but he was poor in the game yesterday.

Doesn't feel as though he's been the same since he came back from that leg fracture a year or so ago
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #389: Sep 14, 2020 11:29:18 am
      Doesn't feel as though he's been the same since he came back from that leg fracture a year or so ago

He was in top form last season once we got in a rhythm defensively again, him and Virgil were the pairing that got us 10 consecutive clean sheets.

The entire defence has dropped a level or 2 since Feb, they’ve all made too many individual errors that have led to goals.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #390: Sep 14, 2020 11:46:26 am
      Hopefully we start finding our best against Chelsea because if our defence is that bad against them then they'll murder us. There is a weird kind of complacency in the defence ever since we won the league and we need to snap the f**k out of it, I'd even consider dropping Virgil just to give him a bit of a kick up the arse.

You would drop Virgil, fookin hell Heimy, were you ‘dropped’ on your head or something  ? While most will have seen Virgil in somewhat calamitous mode  occasionally it hardly warrants a kick up his arse, he’s human not a robot, as immense as he is he’s still prone to the odd error, if anyone needs a kick up the hole it’s Joe, he could do with a wee rest just so he can get his head right, work on his game and to keep him hungry,
      Joel having come through his injury will be chomping to start, so I’d put him in against Chavs, we were far from our best all over the pitch V Leeds, but first real game of a new season there’s bound to be some rust.

There’s nothing to gain by benching the best CB on the planet, for me he’d have to shag Linda before I dropped him 🤪.

Y  N  W  A

Quick Reply