Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

Thiago and our Tactics: How Does our new #6 fit in and affect the team?

Read 8372 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Thiago and our Tactics: How Does our new #6 fit in and affect the team?
      Sep 17, 2020 11:13:25 am
      So as the Thiago deal now looks very real, I'm wondering what this means for our tactics and lineup.

when I've seen him for Bayern he's been a rather deep-lying midfielder. He may immediately move to the front of the line as our best technical player (I think of Gini, Bobby and  maybe Sadio in this department previously). He is going to wear #6 which traditionally would fit the same position.

However, with the way our midfield are usually deployed in ball-winning and defending first, does it seems like there might be a tactical change or two in the works?

Also, what does this mean for Fabinho? Is his place in the XI under threat? Could Thiago be pushed further forward in a tactically-altered side? If so, what of Naby Keita?

Does this mean Gini is actually going to leave? The past copule of days all the meda buzz has been that he's in fact staying. What do we think our team will look like now with the addition of this very talented player?
      « Last Edit: Sep 17, 2020 10:30:10 pm by Robby The Z »
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Re: Thiago and our Tactics: How Does our new #6 fit in and affect the team?
      Reply #1: Sep 17, 2020 11:27:29 am
      Wonder what this all means for Chamberlain, imagine he'll be even further out of the picture now. Could argue that even Jones has edged ahead of him for a place since the restart. Will potentially be 7th or even 8th choice once Thiago is brought in
      LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #2: Sep 17, 2020 11:37:12 am
      As we know, there are lots of games to be played and with the lack of pre-season matches, I think it's almost inevitable that we will pick up some injuries in midfield with the physical demands of the roles in our system.

Ultimately, I think it just gives Klopp more options which is a very nice problem to have. I also think that this transfer allows Fabinho to be our 4th choice CB if required.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,207 posts | 1414 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #3: Sep 17, 2020 12:00:48 pm
      I see people keep assuming it’s Fabinho who’s place is in doubt with him coming in, but to me I think it’s most probably Gini and Hendo, I can see them coming on later in games now to close out the win.

I think we’ll see roles close to what that Barcelona team had in midfield.

Fabinho - Busquets
      Thiago - Xavi
      Keita - Iniesta

The player I can’t see how they get a game in is Oxlade, although he could replace one of those if we are searching for a win later in the game, and need to go all offence.

With Milner I think this will be his last season with us, and he’ll do what he’s best at and just fill in wherever he’s needed, even if that’s GK haha, but yeah, I have a feeling if Leeds stay up he may head there after this season to be a utility player there with more chance to play.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,101 posts | 4866 
      Reply #4: Sep 17, 2020 12:23:50 pm
      I see people keep assuming it’s Fabinho who’s place is in doubt with him coming in, but to me I think it’s most probably Gini and Hendo, I can see them coming on later in games now to close out the win.

I think we’ll see roles close to what that Barcelona team had in midfield.

Fabinho - Busquets
      Thiago - Xavi
      Keita - Iniesta

The player I can’t see how they get a game in is Oxlade, although he could replace one of those if we are searching for a win later in the game, and need to go all offence.

With Milner I think this will be his last season with us, and he’ll do what he’s best at and just fill in wherever he’s needed, even if that’s GK haha, but yeah, I have a feeling if Leeds stay up he may head there after this season to be a utility player there with more chance to play.

As I said in the other thread I'd be willing to bet we never see a Fabinho, Keita,Thiago three in midfield.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,207 posts | 1414 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #5: Sep 17, 2020 12:32:13 pm
      As I said in the other thread I'd be willing to bet we never see a Fabinho, Keita,Thiago three in midfield.
      Yeah just typing it felt wishful, but if we did and those three gelled... could be bliss...
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,434 posts | 1731 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #6: Sep 17, 2020 12:40:04 pm
      Just means we have many many options, for lineups and formations.

Fab will certainly now be the extra backup CB if needed, Milner will probably be cover for RB too.

Guys like ox & shaq used more to rotate the front 3, in slightly different formations.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #7: Sep 17, 2020 12:40:13 pm

When fully fit I think Fabinho is our best midfielder. He was hot and cold last season due to his injuries but his 18/19 season was probably the best campaign I've seen from any Liverpool midfielder since Gerrard.

If Thiago lives up to expectations then I think our strongest midfield would involve him next to Henderson & Fabinho.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 413 posts | 53 
      Reply #8: Sep 17, 2020 01:17:22 pm
      Looks like Gini will be off to Barca then.  Shame really.
      LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #9: Sep 17, 2020 01:45:01 pm
      When fully fit I think Fabinho is our best midfielder. He was hot and cold last season due to his injuries but his 18/19 season was probably the best campaign I've seen from any Liverpool midfielder since Gerrard.

If Thiago lives up to expectations then I think our strongest midfield would involve him next to Henderson & Fabinho.

For me, Fabinho has been doing a decent job without really standing out as a star performer, I'm not denying his quality though, he's a warrior and a ball winner with great passing ability. However, Thiago is the best #6 in world football right now and probably has been for the last few years with much more to offer from the deep-lying role than Fabinho can. His versatility means that he will be direct competition to all of the midfielders in my opinion. 

We don't need to have a 'strongest midfield' anymore, we can rotate and still have world-class talent on the pitch, the luxury that we haven't had in the past.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #10: Sep 17, 2020 01:46:39 pm
                 Fabinho
      Henderson
                       Thiago

For me, he should be the link between Fab and our attackers.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #11: Sep 17, 2020 01:57:02 pm
      None of our squad with tge exception of Alisson, will manage to play every game so Id be seeing mire numbers and quality in those numbers as a must.

In relation to Ox hell still be important Hell alliw not only change of personel but gives options of change of formation.

We wont have a best midfield, I think itll be game by game, who needs rest, whose injured,who might be best suited to a certsin opponent.

I think well need everyone at some point this season and need them flyung.

Tactically im looking firward to seeing a 2 of Fab and Thiago with a 3 of Mo Mane and 1 of Minamino or Keita behind Bobby...Chuck in Robbo and Trent thats a serious attack minded side but covered by the 2 who will also add to the flow of the attack, especially Thiago
      « Last Edit: Sep 17, 2020 02:04:17 pm by Brian78 »
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,471 posts | 698 
      Reply #12: Sep 17, 2020 02:03:07 pm
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,756 posts | 238 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #13: Sep 17, 2020 02:22:04 pm
      Wonder what this all means for Chamberlain, imagine he'll be even further out of the picture now. Could argue that even Jones has edged ahead of him for a place since the restart. Will potentially be 7th or even 8th choice once Thiago is brought in

I think it will cement Ox as a wide attacking option if he is going to see minutes given lack of options wide with log jam in the middle  and I would think this move also pushes Milner back to playing more full back
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #14: Sep 17, 2020 02:32:07 pm
      I think it will cement Ox as a wide attacking option if he is going to see minutes given lack of options wide with log jam in the middle

Yeah, wouldn't be surprised myself. Although he hasn't looked too sharp in that position for us considering he played it for several years at Arsenal and was very impressive

Maybe it's just due to not playing there regularly anymore, or it could be that his injury is hindering his ability to play in that position. With the quick changes of pace and bursts needed to play as a wide attacker / winger I wonder if his ACL issues have made that a little harder
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #15: Sep 17, 2020 02:53:07 pm
      I think it will cement Ox as a wide attacking option if he is going to see minutes given lack of options wide with log jam in the middle  and I would think this move also pushes Milner back to playing more full back

The only problem there is that Ox is sh*t when played wide, he only plays well centrally, I think Ox will be used more as an impact sub, and he could be very good at that role, running against tired defenders.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #16: Sep 17, 2020 04:12:35 pm
      I don't think it really means anything for any of our players except that there is now 1 more option for rotation, and cover in case of injuries.

There are some possible formational changes, but I expect our basic philosophy of using the fullbacks to attack, with the midfield being primarily defenders to stay pretty much the same, regardless of 433 or 4231 basic shape.

Remember Rafa saying "in this system, the fullbacks are the wingers" about his 4231.

It's the same now, just done slightly differently (although I'm sure that given the resources, Rafa's team would have progressed to a similar level).

It's all about options.
      Anyone who thinks Thiago is here to "oust" or "replace" any other player is barking up the wrong tree.
      He will complement our existing squad, and hopefully add a little in some areas.

In short, don't expect to see too much change.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #17: Sep 17, 2020 04:15:45 pm
      I don't think it really means anything for any of our players except that there is now 1 more option for rotation, and cover in case of injuries.

There are some possible formational changes, but I expect our basic philosophy of using the fullbacks to attack, with the midfield being primarily defenders to stay pretty much the same, regardless of 433 or 4231 basic shape.

Remember Rafa saying "in this system, the fullbacks are the wingers" about his 4231.

It's the same now, just done slightly differently (although I'm sure that given the resources, Rafa's team would have progressed to a similar level).

It's all about options.
      Anyone who thinks Thiago is here to "oust" or "replace" any other player is barking up the wrong tree.
      He will complement our existing squad, and hopefully add a little in some areas.

Thanks for clarifying for us mere mortals, are we allowed to have a different opinion Sir??

You see I think Thiago walks straight into our team, he is a big upgrade on what we already have. If I was Hendo I'd be a bit nervy.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #18: Sep 17, 2020 04:28:04 pm

It's all about options.

But i think he is going to replace someone. A world class player doesn’t come to play in the league/carabao/mickey mouse cup and/or be a depth player and ride the bench otherwise. He will get a lot of playing time and that means a current player is not getting those minutes.

Klopp may want a settling-in period the way he has with a lot of players but eventually I think Thiago becomes a regular.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #19: Sep 17, 2020 04:34:48 pm
      But i think he is going to replace someone. A world class player doesn’t come to play in the league/carabao/mickey mouse cup and/or be a depth player and ride the bench otherwise. He will get a lot of playing time and that means a current player is not getting those minutes.

Klopp may want a settling-in period the way he has with a lot of players but eventually I think Thiago becomes a regular.

We've already got world class players in the midfield, saying that Thiago is the only world class player in there does them a real disservice.
      Rotation, options.

Our midfield work incredibly hard, and we've seen the drop off at times, even over the last 2 seasons when we amassed so many points, when fatigue starts to affect them.

The only way he "replaces" someone is if Wijnaldum leaves.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #20: Sep 17, 2020 04:45:33 pm
      Will be interesting now if the club let's Gini run his contract down or decides to cash in now much like Bayern have done with Thiago.

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #21: Sep 17, 2020 04:50:21 pm
      Thanks for clarifying for us mere mortals, are we allowed to have a different opinion Sir??

You see I think Thiago walks straight into our team, he is a big upgrade on what we already have. If I was Hendo I'd be a bit nervy.

Hendo has had this his whole time here under Klopp  and kept his place in the team I actually think he is the one midfielder who will be a constant if fit.

First are foremost that midfield needs to be solid and for that reason Fab and Hendo will be the backbone I believe of this season other than usual injury and rotation wifh Keita, Ox, Thiago and Gini (if he remains) fighting for the 1 spot to be the most progressive midfielder

To be honest we are once again spoilt for choice in midfield in terms of bodies, it's at CB where we only have 3 players for a whole season which is surely not ideal.

Selling a few fringe players now to fund a defender wouldn't be the worst idea IMO.  The likes of Shaq, Grujic, Wilson and perhaps Gini could be the way forwards.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #22: Sep 17, 2020 05:06:09 pm
      An array of options available. Fab can drop into the back 4 and Thiago can come into his place in midfield, we can play the double of Fab and Thiago with Hendo, Gini, Keita, Jones or whoever in a more advance role in front of them. There’s the option of him coming straight into the usual middle 3 set up or he can even operate as a 10. He’s a very versatile player within the midfield so I don’t think we will have any issues accommodating him.

Quick Reply