Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Thiago and our Tactics: How Does our new #6 fit in and affect the team?

Read 8506 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Thiago and our Tactics: How Does our new #6 fit in and affect the team?
      Sep 17, 2020 11:13:25 am
      So as the Thiago deal now looks very real, I'm wondering what this means for our tactics and lineup.

when I've seen him for Bayern he's been a rather deep-lying midfielder. He may immediately move to the front of the line as our best technical player (I think of Gini, Bobby and  maybe Sadio in this department previously). He is going to wear #6 which traditionally would fit the same position.

However, with the way our midfield are usually deployed in ball-winning and defending first, does it seems like there might be a tactical change or two in the works?

Also, what does this mean for Fabinho? Is his place in the XI under threat? Could Thiago be pushed further forward in a tactically-altered side? If so, what of Naby Keita?

Does this mean Gini is actually going to leave? The past copule of days all the meda buzz has been that he's in fact staying. What do we think our team will look like now with the addition of this very talented player?
      « Last Edit: Sep 17, 2020 10:30:10 pm by Robby The Z »
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Re: Thiago and our Tactics: How Does our new #6 fit in and affect the team?
      Reply #1: Sep 17, 2020 11:27:29 am
      Wonder what this all means for Chamberlain, imagine he'll be even further out of the picture now. Could argue that even Jones has edged ahead of him for a place since the restart. Will potentially be 7th or even 8th choice once Thiago is brought in
      LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #2: Sep 17, 2020 11:37:12 am
      As we know, there are lots of games to be played and with the lack of pre-season matches, I think it's almost inevitable that we will pick up some injuries in midfield with the physical demands of the roles in our system.

Ultimately, I think it just gives Klopp more options which is a very nice problem to have. I also think that this transfer allows Fabinho to be our 4th choice CB if required.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,471 posts | 1466 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #3: Sep 17, 2020 12:00:48 pm
      I see people keep assuming it’s Fabinho who’s place is in doubt with him coming in, but to me I think it’s most probably Gini and Hendo, I can see them coming on later in games now to close out the win.

I think we’ll see roles close to what that Barcelona team had in midfield.

Fabinho - Busquets
      Thiago - Xavi
      Keita - Iniesta

The player I can’t see how they get a game in is Oxlade, although he could replace one of those if we are searching for a win later in the game, and need to go all offence.

With Milner I think this will be his last season with us, and he’ll do what he’s best at and just fill in wherever he’s needed, even if that’s GK haha, but yeah, I have a feeling if Leeds stay up he may head there after this season to be a utility player there with more chance to play.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,170 posts | 4904 
      Reply #4: Sep 17, 2020 12:23:50 pm
      I see people keep assuming it’s Fabinho who’s place is in doubt with him coming in, but to me I think it’s most probably Gini and Hendo, I can see them coming on later in games now to close out the win.

I think we’ll see roles close to what that Barcelona team had in midfield.

Fabinho - Busquets
      Thiago - Xavi
      Keita - Iniesta

The player I can’t see how they get a game in is Oxlade, although he could replace one of those if we are searching for a win later in the game, and need to go all offence.

With Milner I think this will be his last season with us, and he’ll do what he’s best at and just fill in wherever he’s needed, even if that’s GK haha, but yeah, I have a feeling if Leeds stay up he may head there after this season to be a utility player there with more chance to play.

As I said in the other thread I'd be willing to bet we never see a Fabinho, Keita,Thiago three in midfield.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,471 posts | 1466 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #5: Sep 17, 2020 12:32:13 pm
      As I said in the other thread I'd be willing to bet we never see a Fabinho, Keita,Thiago three in midfield.
      Yeah just typing it felt wishful, but if we did and those three gelled... could be bliss...
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,514 posts | 1766 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #6: Sep 17, 2020 12:40:04 pm
      Just means we have many many options, for lineups and formations.

Fab will certainly now be the extra backup CB if needed, Milner will probably be cover for RB too.

Guys like ox & shaq used more to rotate the front 3, in slightly different formations.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #7: Sep 17, 2020 12:40:13 pm

When fully fit I think Fabinho is our best midfielder. He was hot and cold last season due to his injuries but his 18/19 season was probably the best campaign I've seen from any Liverpool midfielder since Gerrard.

If Thiago lives up to expectations then I think our strongest midfield would involve him next to Henderson & Fabinho.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts | 53 
      Reply #8: Sep 17, 2020 01:17:22 pm
      Looks like Gini will be off to Barca then.  Shame really.
      LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #9: Sep 17, 2020 01:45:01 pm
      When fully fit I think Fabinho is our best midfielder. He was hot and cold last season due to his injuries but his 18/19 season was probably the best campaign I've seen from any Liverpool midfielder since Gerrard.

If Thiago lives up to expectations then I think our strongest midfield would involve him next to Henderson & Fabinho.

For me, Fabinho has been doing a decent job without really standing out as a star performer, I'm not denying his quality though, he's a warrior and a ball winner with great passing ability. However, Thiago is the best #6 in world football right now and probably has been for the last few years with much more to offer from the deep-lying role than Fabinho can. His versatility means that he will be direct competition to all of the midfielders in my opinion. 

We don't need to have a 'strongest midfield' anymore, we can rotate and still have world-class talent on the pitch, the luxury that we haven't had in the past.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,682 posts | 3702 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #10: Sep 17, 2020 01:46:39 pm
                 Fabinho
      Henderson
                       Thiago

For me, he should be the link between Fab and our attackers.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,146 posts | 2778 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #11: Sep 17, 2020 01:57:02 pm
      None of our squad with tge exception of Alisson, will manage to play every game so Id be seeing mire numbers and quality in those numbers as a must.

In relation to Ox hell still be important Hell alliw not only change of personel but gives options of change of formation.

We wont have a best midfield, I think itll be game by game, who needs rest, whose injured,who might be best suited to a certsin opponent.

I think well need everyone at some point this season and need them flyung.

Tactically im looking firward to seeing a 2 of Fab and Thiago with a 3 of Mo Mane and 1 of Minamino or Keita behind Bobby...Chuck in Robbo and Trent thats a serious attack minded side but covered by the 2 who will also add to the flow of the attack, especially Thiago
      « Last Edit: Sep 17, 2020 02:04:17 pm by Brian78 »
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,526 posts | 719 
      Reply #12: Sep 17, 2020 02:03:07 pm
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #13: Sep 17, 2020 02:22:04 pm
      Wonder what this all means for Chamberlain, imagine he'll be even further out of the picture now. Could argue that even Jones has edged ahead of him for a place since the restart. Will potentially be 7th or even 8th choice once Thiago is brought in

I think it will cement Ox as a wide attacking option if he is going to see minutes given lack of options wide with log jam in the middle  and I would think this move also pushes Milner back to playing more full back
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #14: Sep 17, 2020 02:32:07 pm
      I think it will cement Ox as a wide attacking option if he is going to see minutes given lack of options wide with log jam in the middle

Yeah, wouldn't be surprised myself. Although he hasn't looked too sharp in that position for us considering he played it for several years at Arsenal and was very impressive

Maybe it's just due to not playing there regularly anymore, or it could be that his injury is hindering his ability to play in that position. With the quick changes of pace and bursts needed to play as a wide attacker / winger I wonder if his ACL issues have made that a little harder
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #15: Sep 17, 2020 02:53:07 pm
      I think it will cement Ox as a wide attacking option if he is going to see minutes given lack of options wide with log jam in the middle  and I would think this move also pushes Milner back to playing more full back

The only problem there is that Ox is sh*t when played wide, he only plays well centrally, I think Ox will be used more as an impact sub, and he could be very good at that role, running against tired defenders.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #16: Sep 17, 2020 04:12:35 pm
      I don't think it really means anything for any of our players except that there is now 1 more option for rotation, and cover in case of injuries.

There are some possible formational changes, but I expect our basic philosophy of using the fullbacks to attack, with the midfield being primarily defenders to stay pretty much the same, regardless of 433 or 4231 basic shape.

Remember Rafa saying "in this system, the fullbacks are the wingers" about his 4231.

It's the same now, just done slightly differently (although I'm sure that given the resources, Rafa's team would have progressed to a similar level).

It's all about options.
      Anyone who thinks Thiago is here to "oust" or "replace" any other player is barking up the wrong tree.
      He will complement our existing squad, and hopefully add a little in some areas.

In short, don't expect to see too much change.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #17: Sep 17, 2020 04:15:45 pm
      I don't think it really means anything for any of our players except that there is now 1 more option for rotation, and cover in case of injuries.

There are some possible formational changes, but I expect our basic philosophy of using the fullbacks to attack, with the midfield being primarily defenders to stay pretty much the same, regardless of 433 or 4231 basic shape.

Remember Rafa saying "in this system, the fullbacks are the wingers" about his 4231.

It's the same now, just done slightly differently (although I'm sure that given the resources, Rafa's team would have progressed to a similar level).

It's all about options.
      Anyone who thinks Thiago is here to "oust" or "replace" any other player is barking up the wrong tree.
      He will complement our existing squad, and hopefully add a little in some areas.

Thanks for clarifying for us mere mortals, are we allowed to have a different opinion Sir??

You see I think Thiago walks straight into our team, he is a big upgrade on what we already have. If I was Hendo I'd be a bit nervy.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,804 posts | 1399 
      Reply #18: Sep 17, 2020 04:28:04 pm

It's all about options.

But i think he is going to replace someone. A world class player doesn’t come to play in the league/carabao/mickey mouse cup and/or be a depth player and ride the bench otherwise. He will get a lot of playing time and that means a current player is not getting those minutes.

Klopp may want a settling-in period the way he has with a lot of players but eventually I think Thiago becomes a regular.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #19: Sep 17, 2020 04:34:48 pm
      But i think he is going to replace someone. A world class player doesn’t come to play in the league/carabao/mickey mouse cup and/or be a depth player and ride the bench otherwise. He will get a lot of playing time and that means a current player is not getting those minutes.

Klopp may want a settling-in period the way he has with a lot of players but eventually I think Thiago becomes a regular.

We've already got world class players in the midfield, saying that Thiago is the only world class player in there does them a real disservice.
      Rotation, options.

Our midfield work incredibly hard, and we've seen the drop off at times, even over the last 2 seasons when we amassed so many points, when fatigue starts to affect them.

The only way he "replaces" someone is if Wijnaldum leaves.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #20: Sep 17, 2020 04:45:33 pm
      Will be interesting now if the club let's Gini run his contract down or decides to cash in now much like Bayern have done with Thiago.

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #21: Sep 17, 2020 04:50:21 pm
      Thanks for clarifying for us mere mortals, are we allowed to have a different opinion Sir??

You see I think Thiago walks straight into our team, he is a big upgrade on what we already have. If I was Hendo I'd be a bit nervy.

Hendo has had this his whole time here under Klopp  and kept his place in the team I actually think he is the one midfielder who will be a constant if fit.

First are foremost that midfield needs to be solid and for that reason Fab and Hendo will be the backbone I believe of this season other than usual injury and rotation wifh Keita, Ox, Thiago and Gini (if he remains) fighting for the 1 spot to be the most progressive midfielder

To be honest we are once again spoilt for choice in midfield in terms of bodies, it's at CB where we only have 3 players for a whole season which is surely not ideal.

Selling a few fringe players now to fund a defender wouldn't be the worst idea IMO.  The likes of Shaq, Grujic, Wilson and perhaps Gini could be the way forwards.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #22: Sep 17, 2020 05:06:09 pm
      An array of options available. Fab can drop into the back 4 and Thiago can come into his place in midfield, we can play the double of Fab and Thiago with Hendo, Gini, Keita, Jones or whoever in a more advance role in front of them. There’s the option of him coming straight into the usual middle 3 set up or he can even operate as a 10. He’s a very versatile player within the midfield so I don’t think we will have any issues accommodating him.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #23: Sep 17, 2020 05:41:12 pm
      The beauty of signing Thiago is unlike most Klopp signings he will need minimal time to adapt to our style of play due to his experience, game intelligence, and technical ability.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,524 posts | 1661 
      • YNWA
      Reply #24: Sep 17, 2020 06:52:38 pm
      Looks like Gini will be off to Barca then.  Shame really.

Well would think of all the CMs, he's most likely to loose out on game time if Thiago comes.   Assuming Gini stays.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,921 posts | 4986 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #25: Sep 17, 2020 06:52:39 pm

I’m intrigued Si why you don’t think We’ll see this trio, maybe I’m missing something but I don’t see anything wrong with having Fabinho in front of the back 4, protecting with Thiago & Keita pushing forwards in attack,
      Could Jürgen be thinking exactly this when he said he would attack rather than defend our title ?

It’s possible he would only use this in certain games, perhaps with 20 to go and we need a break through?

Y  N  W  A
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,524 posts | 1661 
      • YNWA
      Reply #26: Sep 17, 2020 06:53:57 pm
      maybe I’m missing something but I don’t see anything wrong with having Fabinho in front of the back 4, protecting with Thiago & Keita pushing forwards in attack,

Me neither. Thiago's also an unreal ball winner
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #27: Sep 17, 2020 07:06:35 pm
      Well would think of all the CMs, he's most likely to loose out on game time if Thiago comes.   Assuming Gini stays.

I think Gini either goes to Barca this window or leaves on a free next Summer. Can't see us offering him a new contract now.
      CT_LFC

• 6,804 posts | 1399 
      Reply #28: Sep 17, 2020 07:18:13 pm
      I think Gini either goes to Barca this window or leaves on a free next Summer. Can't see us offering him a new contract now.

It looks like it'll be Gini, agree, but someone HAS to go. There are just not enough positions for the amount of midfield players we have.

You have Fab, Gini, Keita, Hendo and Thiago for only 3 spots, and that is before you get into the "2nd tier" players like Jones, Milner, Ox and Minamino (though he can play up front as well) and does not even take into consideration any game time you may want to give the "3rd tier" like Grujic and Wilson, assuming not sold.

This year with compressed schedule we could theoretically get by with the large squad without pissing players off from lack of game time, but i definitely see a departure.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,170 posts | 4904 
      Reply #29: Sep 17, 2020 07:19:57 pm

I’m intrigued Si why you don’t think We’ll see this trio, maybe I’m missing something but I don’t see anything wrong with having Fabinho in front of the back 4, protecting with Thiago & Keita pushing forwards in attack,
      Could Jürgen be thinking exactly this when he said he would attack rather than defend our title ?

It’s possible he would only use this in certain games, perhaps with 20 to go and we need a break through?

Y  N  W  A

Just a hunch mate. Obviously we may we'll see it but I just have a feeling we won't see all three together.

Personally I'd love to see it but Jürgen tends to be a bit conservative in midfield at times and I think he could follow his usual pattern of keeping it solid with only one of Thiago or Keita.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #30: Sep 17, 2020 07:23:58 pm
      It looks like it'll be Gini, agree, but someone HAS to go. There are just not enough positions for the amount of midfield players we have.

You have Fab, Gini, Keita, Hendo and Thiago for only 3 spots, and that is before you get into the "2nd tier" players like Jones, Milner, Ox and Minamino (though he can play up front as well) and does not even take into consideration any game time you may want to give the "3rd tier" like Grujic and Wilson, assuming not sold.

This year with compressed schedule we could theoretically get by with the large squad without pissing players off from lack of game time, but i definitely see a departure.

Apparently Klopp wants Gini to stay on an extended contract, which makes sense if it's a one or two year extension on his existing one, but I feel Gini will look for the move to Barca now where he will get a big contract and regular playing time.

Hopefully I'm wrong and Gini stays on of course as this will give us potentially the strongest midfield depth in world football.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8543 
      Reply #31: Sep 17, 2020 07:35:36 pm
      It looks like it'll be Gini, agree, but someone HAS to go. 

We'll keep Gini and sell Brewster to Sheff Utd with a buy-back clause included in the deal.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,921 posts | 4986 
      Reply #32: Sep 17, 2020 07:42:07 pm
      Just a hunch mate. Obviously we may we'll see it but I just have a feeling we won't see all three together.

Personally I'd love to see it but Jürgen tends to be a bit conservative in midfield at times and I think he could follow his usual pattern of keeping it solid with only one of Thiago or Keita.

Fairy Muff mate, I don’t think we’ll see any massive change tbh, just more options to combat the bus Parkers, last season I thought we lacked a bit of creativity so maybe Jürgen wants to remedy that, but we’ll see, Brian 78 came up with a good shout saying Klopp will no longer have a best midfield three, I agree, so look out for plenty of rotation then.

Y  N  W  A
      rossyred

• 9,260 posts | 1659 
      Reply #33: Sep 17, 2020 08:44:49 pm
      His passing between the lines quickly and accurately is something we do not have he will improve us no doubt and expect him to play most league games
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #34: Sep 17, 2020 09:02:29 pm

Don't know, you know, Swab.

Okay, so maybe not 'replace', but I've got a feeling that Milner could go. Just can't see where he gets many minutes and make no mistake how much of a thing Jones coming on over him, last week, may be.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #35: Sep 17, 2020 09:05:33 pm
      Thiago Alcântara’s passing game offers Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp an exciting new dimension

Thiago, 29, after winning the Champions League with Bayern this year, believes the time has come for a fresh challenge

MATTHIAS SCHRADER/AP

Constantin Eckner

Thursday September 17 2020, 5.00pm, The Times

After what felt like a never-ending transfer story, Liverpool have agreed to sign Thiago Alcântara from Bayern Munich. Bayern officials were concerned that the Premier League champions would wait until the very end of the transfer window next month before making a late, low-value bid for the 29-year-old midfielder. Negotiations then accelerated this week when Bayern officials made it clear that they wanted a deal completed before the start of the Bundesliga season tomorrow.

The £25 million deal may come as a surprise to observers who would think that Thiago, the long-time linchpin of Bayern’s midfield, should have stayed with the German powerhouse after winning the Champions League. However, the Spaniard has felt underappreciated by his club for quite a while, never receiving the same recognition as home-grown talents and fan favourites.

His contract with Bayern would have expired by the end of this 2020-21 season, as he abruptly ended negotiations about an extension in May because he was unhappy about his standing and wanted one last challenge in his career. Hansi Flick, the Bayern head coach, who truly acknowledged Thiago’s qualities, tried to persuade him to stay with the club for a few more years, but Bayern’s Champions League win last month reinforced the sense that he had achieved everything in Munich.

What convinced Thiago to join Liverpool was the fact that Jürgen Klopp has been a great admirer of the Spaniard and his playing style. Klopp knows that he does not have anyone who can match Thiago’s playmaking abilities. Georginio Wijnaldum, Jordan Henderson and Naby Keïta all have qualities but Thiago is on another level. “You need him because of his creativity and his passes between the lines,” Arjen Robben, his former Bayern team-mate, once said

Thiago’s passing range is his biggest asset, especially against deep-lying defences. As someone who pulls the strings in midfield he works best alongside a physical player and his partnership with Joshua Kimmich was the foundation for Bayern’s success last season.

Kimmich not only provided the necessary defensive protection but also engaged with Thiago in passing plays. Thiago is by no means a poor defender, as statistics have shown, but he usually defends smartly rather than overly physically. A midfield partner that can bring intensity and likes to assist Thiago helps the Spain international immensely.

As Thiago was cast in the No 6 role at Bayern, it is conceivable that Klopp will adjust his tactical system to integrate his new signing in the best way possible. The German has already experimented with a 4-2-3-1 system, which would work perfectly with a Thiago-Fabinho pairing in centre midfield. The Brazilian would be the physical force while Thiago can focus on passes and dribbles.

Klopp certainly values Thiago for his pressing resistance, meaning the ability to keep the ball under pressure and elegantly slide through tight spaces, which is crucial for a team such as Liverpool. They have struggled at times to build from the back because, other than Virgil van Dijk, no one has the skill set to protect the ball and progress it forward without the risk of losing possession.

That inability partly led Klopp to focus on the wings, with the full backs, Trent Alexander-Arnold and Andrew Robertson, becoming increasingly important to Liverpool’s attacking output.

Thiago adds playmaking brilliance and tactical versatility. With him on the pitch, Liverpool will play differently. A luxury for Klopp is that he can still go back to the winning formula of last season. It would be foolish to think that Thiago will never need a rest as he has picked up a lot of injuries over the years and missed many matches.

These injuries also contributed to the narrative that Thiago might be a great footballer but an unreliable one. In January, the highly regarded German football magazine Kicker put out a list of the best “defensive midfielders” in the Bundesliga. The list featured the likes of Sebastian Rode, of Eintracht Frankfurt, and Union Berlin’s Robert Andrich but Thiago was nowhere to be found. He often exudes an “I don’t care” vibe and shrugs off what could be considered insults.

Thiago knows that most coaches love him because he embodies the kind of player that instinctively understands the game and orchestrates his team. Pep Guardiola famously told Bayern’s board in 2013, “Thiago or nothing”, underlining his intentions to build the midfield around one of his favourite players. Last week, when Klopp was asked about Thiago, he said that he has often praised him as a world-class midfielder. Now, Klopp has the chance to work with this unique talent.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #36: Sep 17, 2020 09:47:30 pm
      Don't know, you know, Swab.

Okay, so maybe not 'replace', but I've got a feeling that Milner could go. Just can't see where he gets many minutes and make no mistake how much of a thing Jones coming on over him, last week, may be.

I was thinking more about this idea that people have that someone has to be "replaced" rather than us just having more options for rotation, as is the modern way.

Millie's a strange one though; mostly a second string, backup, utility player now, still fit as a fiddle, but gradually getting less game time. He can still do a job for us, but Jones stepping up would fill that gap, if we can be said to have a gap in the midfield with the numbers we've got in there.
      Bringing in the new lad at LB could be another sign Milner is being phased out, as well.

Thiago pretty much kills 3 birds with one stone; cover if Gini or Milner leave, cover at DM if Fabinho plays CB, and cover further up.
      Cover is probably the wrong word, but I'm sure you get my drift. Options would be better.
      Klopp does like players who can be used in different positions, which kind of goes against the current perceived wisdom in a period of positional specialists.

We'll see, I guess, but the drop off in quality when Henderson, Gini or Fabinho didn't play last season was noticeable at time.
      So, let's say Thiago starts, with Henderson or Gini on the bench, he comes off after 60-70 mins, fresh legs, good players, more options.
      Same the other way round a well; tight game, Henderson, Gini wear the opposition down, Thiago comes on at 60, picks them apart.
      Lots of options.
      I like it.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #37: Sep 17, 2020 10:29:17 pm
      We've already got world class players in the midfield, saying that Thiago is the only world class player in there does them a real disservice.
      Rotation, options.

Our midfield work incredibly hard, and we've seen the drop off at times, even over the last 2 seasons when we amassed so many points, when fatigue starts to affect them.

Similarly, looking at his "highlight video" I see a player hitting passes in varying situations and each one reminded me of someone we already have, Keita with the through ball in the middle, Henderson or Fabinho playing a pass from deep to one of the forwards or outside backs, even Trent or Robbo playing a long, precise pass to switch the flanks. Great to have another good player but I don't think this is marking some sea change in what we do or how we do it.

More a question of X amount of players dividing Y amount of minutes. It's finite.

« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2020 10:44:09 pm by Robby The Z »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #38: Sep 17, 2020 10:30:13 pm
      Millie's a strange one though; mostly a second string, backup, utility player now, still fit as a fiddle, but gradually getting less game time. He can still do a job for us, but Jones stepping up would fill that gap, if we can be said to have a gap in the midfield with the numbers we've got in there.
      Bringing in the new lad at LB could be another sign Milner is being phased out, as well.

Think you’re right about him being phased out, though I don’t think it’s being done in such a way that Milly will get a bit fed up. Way I view him is despite him being near the end of his career now, he’s still a luxury player to have. We need someone to come in and secure things in the midfield and calm things down he can do that, we need him to fill in for a game but still be able to put in a good performance then he can do that. We need someone to come in at right back or left back because other options aren’t available then he can do that just as effectively. Not many teams have a player with the leadership, ability, experience and versatility to be able to do that to the extent Milly can at this stage of their careers. But given his age and other players being signed/emerging through the ranks, it’s only natural he will gradually be phased out. But what a player to still have for cup games, which in all likelihood will be where the majority of his game time will likely come from.
      rossyred

• 9,260 posts | 1659 
      Reply #39: Sep 17, 2020 10:37:21 pm
      Similarly, looking at his "highlight video" I see a player hitting passes in varying situations and each one reminded me of someone we already have, Keita with the through ball in the middle, Henderson or Fabinho playing a pass from deep to one of the forwards or outside backs, even Trent or Robbo playing a long, precise pass to switch the flanks. Great to have another good player but I don't think this is marking some sea change in what we do or how we do it.

Whats the point in signing another Midfielder who offers nothing different than what we have already got . Do you honestly think Klopp has signed because he offers the same ?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #40: Sep 17, 2020 10:48:09 pm
      Whats the point in signing another Midfielder who offers nothing different than what we have already got . Do you honestly think Klopp has signed because he offers the same ?

Understand me. He's a tremendous talent. I get that. But a player can add value to a team without having some set of skills that nobody else in the team has. Some of the commentary (not saying you) reads like "now we've got a great midfielder compared to the bang average lot we had before."

Also "NOW, we're going to really achieve something. As opposed to the last couple of seasons where we...."

Don't forget the supposedly "non-creative" midfield of Milner, Henderson and Gini helped us soundly defeat a Bayern team with Thiago in the midfield, in Munich 18 months ago, to put us into the Champions League semifinal.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,610 posts | 3914 
      Reply #41: Sep 17, 2020 10:52:49 pm
      Understand me. He's a tremendous talent. I get that. But a player can add value to a team without having some set of skills that nobody else in the team has. Some of the commentary (not saying you) reads like "now we've got a great midfielder compared to the bang average lot we had before."

Also "NOW, we're going to really achieve something. As opposed to the last couple of seasons where we...."

Don't forget the supposedly "non-creative" midfield of Milner, Henderson and Gini helped us soundly defeat a Bayern team with Thiago in the midfield, in Munich 18 months ago, to put us into the Champions League semifinal.

Robby, why you trying to bring everyone down? Just enjoy it for F**k sake
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #42: Sep 17, 2020 11:00:57 pm
      Robby, why you trying to bring everyone down? Just enjoy it for f**k sake

Honestly I'm not trying to do that.

I guess what underlies all of this for me is I've just watched our team put in the best back-to-back performances in the history of the Premier League, just an astonishing rate of success, and the commentary from so many here is as if none of it happened. I'm still trying to enjoy THAT, but there's so much moaning about this, that and the other thing.

But if that is the effect I'm having, I will bow out. My apologies.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #43: Sep 18, 2020 01:58:45 am
      I just watched that CL quarterfinal vs. Bayern Munich. The thing that really stands out about Thiago in that one is how cool he is on the ball. When we pressed he was the player who would show for the ball deep in his end, and even under pressure was very good at turning with it and finding an outlet. Just cool all around in possession. He almost always stayed deep, not as a windshield washer/destroyer, but more in keeping the ball moving, keeping possession, linking defence with attack. So in terms of role, for that game at least, I'd say he resembles Gini the most, which may or may not signal anything about future developments with our playing staff.

Two other pleasant reminders from that game:

1. What a strong performance by us. I think that one gets overshadowed a bit because of the other-worldly comeback vs. Barca in the next round, but we really grew into that match and at the end were playing a very good Bayern team off the park. Virgil, Robbo, Milner and Sadio were especially good - also Fabinho coming on for an injured Henderson.

2. James Rodriguez is just about a donkey! He spent about 60 minutes giving the ball away nearly every time he touched the ball, until he was rightly subbed off. He should fit right in at Everton.  ;D

rossyred

• 9,260 posts | 1659 
      Reply #44: Sep 18, 2020 08:18:48 am

No I am not saying anything of the sort or dissing any of the current midfield but clearly he has something different to his game that the others don't to complement their skill set that is all
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,610 posts | 3914 
      Reply #45: Sep 18, 2020 10:08:59 am
      I just watched that CL quarterfinal vs. Bayern Munich. The thing that really stands out about Thiago in that one is how cool he is on the ball. When we pressed he was the player who would show for the ball deep in his end, and even under pressure was very good at turning with it and finding an outlet. Just cool all around in possession. He almost always stayed deep, not as a windshield washer/destroyer, but more in keeping the ball moving, keeping possession, linking defence with attack. So in terms of role, for that game at least, I'd say he resembles Gini the most, which may or may not signal anything about future developments with our playing staff.

Two other pleasant reminders from that game:

1. What a strong performance by us. I think that one gets overshadowed a bit because of the other-worldly comeback vs. Barca in the next round, but we really grew into that match and at the end were playing a very good Bayern team off the park. Virgil, Robbo, Milner and Sadio were especially good - also Fabinho coming on for an injured Henderson.

2. James Rodriguez is just about a donkey! He spent about 60 minutes giving the ball away nearly every time he touched the ball, until he was rightly subbed off. He should fit right in at Everton.  ;D

People forget how good Milner was in the game, the organisation, the fitness, the pressing.

Beautiful performance. Can’t wait to see stuff like that again
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      Reply #46: Sep 18, 2020 02:33:51 pm
      Yeah, wouldn't be surprised myself. Although he hasn't looked too sharp in that position for us considering he played it for several years at Arsenal and was very impressive

Maybe it's just due to not playing there regularly anymore, or it could be that his injury is hindering his ability to play in that position. With the quick changes of pace and bursts needed to play as a wide attacker / winger I wonder if his ACL issues have made that a little harder

I agree he isn't overly effective on the flank as oppose to the middle but given the way Klopp used him wide, lack of options and amount of bodies in the middle I just see it playing at that way atm. Surprises me to see he was our top scorer outside front 3 last season
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #47: Sep 19, 2020 02:10:38 am
      Jürgen on fitting in all the midifelders, particularly Thiago and Gini:

“I was asked about Gini and I said that if someone comes in, that is not a reason for someone else to leave,” Liverpool’s manager said. “I can’t prepare for a normal season when a season is not normal. We have to find ways to keep the players as fresh as possible. That probably means rotation.”
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,921 posts | 4986 
      Reply #48: Sep 19, 2020 07:22:31 am
      Dunno lads if this has been mentioning above if so apologies, the excitement on signing Thiago is thru the roof, and rightly so, Scotia’s analogy is the best yet, ‘A Rolls Royce that can rally’, brilliant that, you cannot ignore those who know him best, Hansi Flick, Pep G, they have worked with this lad and know how good he is,
      Jürgen & our own Pep have recognised that his skills  are exactly what we need, and probably what has been missing, last couple of seasons we have dominated the EPL employing the high press successfully, and using both fullbacks Trent & Robbo, as attacking wingers but like any tactic sides find a way to nullify it, so a change has to be sought to stay ahead of the rest, so I believe a change of formation will have the desired effect,

4-2-3-1, I think is what J&P have agreed on, not the first time they have tried this of course, it’s nothing new per se, but maybe the individuals used just couldn’t carry it thru, for whatever reason, but bring in a player that has the vision & intelligence to open the tightest of defences, the strongest of parked buses, to break through & get behind them with intricate passing and clever play is I think where Thiago will thrive, now just take a minute and imagine Thiago linking up with Bobby, the flicks & the tricks will have defences bamboozled like slight of hand magicians, and magicians is exactly what they will be, are you getting more excited by these thoughts like I am ?

The options we now have using that formation is unbelievable, in fact we only need to add one component from Henderson, Milner, Keita, Wijnaldom,Minamino, Jones, any of those six can sit in comfortably knowing their particular role, so maybe, just maybe, my madcap three of Fabinho, Thiago & Keita isn’t as far fetched a idea after all, for now though we all sit with bated breath & unfettered excitement waiting for the impending successes.

Y  N  W  A
      « Last Edit: Sep 19, 2020 07:36:27 am by billythered »
      Scottbot

• 9,600 posts | 2156 
      Reply #49: Sep 19, 2020 07:53:38 am
      It's a cracking signing isn't it, probably not a desperate need as such but given the short summer break and the condensed season ahead i think al the midfield lads will get plenty of game time and maybe we will even be more competitive in the domestic cups this year, it would be nice to get a run or two going.

As for how we might set up and the impact on our tactics i don't see any massive changes tactically. I guess we might see 2 sitters a little more often e.g. Fabinho alongside Thiago with someone like Keita ahead of them. As a few have said i think he will enable us to keep the ball better, we're already decent in possession to be fair but he is so comfortable on the ball it will enable us to play a more patient style, be a little bit less energetic. I read an article from Danny Murphy the other day (i think) or it might have been Carra, he was saying that how the no crowds suited City the most becasue they are so technical, the sanitised atmosphere suits their possession game where as we rely on the press which in turn fires up the crowd who contribute to the jitters that our lads feed off.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #50: Sep 19, 2020 09:18:06 am
      It's a cracking signing isn't it, probably not a desperate need as such but given the short summer break and the condensed season ahead i think al the midfield lads will get plenty of game time and maybe we will even be more competitive in the domestic cups this year, it would be nice to get a run or two going.

As for how we might set up and the impact on our tactics i don't see any massive changes tactically. I guess we might see 2 sitters a little more often e.g. Fabinho alongside Thiago with someone like Keita ahead of them. As a few have said i think he will enable us to keep the ball better, we're already decent in possession to be fair but he is so comfortable on the ball it will enable us to play a more patient style, be a little bit less energetic. I read an article from Danny Murphy the other day (i think) or it might have been Carra, he was saying that how the no crowds suited City the most becasue they are so technical, the sanitised atmosphere suits their possession game where as we rely on the press which in turn fires up the crowd who contribute to the jitters that our lads feed off.

I disagree with your assessment, but perhaps that speaks volumes of the versatility of Thiago. I see him as being the player who can help us unlock stubborn low block teams, playing alongside Keita to find those cute angles and passes to cut through the defence. 

What ever way you look at it we have signed a superb midfielder who will take us to the next level.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8543 
      Reply #51: Sep 19, 2020 06:17:14 pm
      Jürgen on fitting in all the midifelders, particularly Thiago and Gini:

“I was asked about Gini and I said that if someone comes in, that is not a reason for someone else to leave,” Liverpool’s manager said. “I can’t prepare for a normal season when a season is not normal. We have to find ways to keep the players as fresh as possible. That probably means rotation.”

Or as Rafa used to say "possibilities"
      Harrisimo

• 8,223 posts | 1386 
      Reply #52: Sep 21, 2020 12:28:12 am
      Fab, Hendo and Thiago are they competing to be out holding playmaker or could we play 2 out of 3. The attacking midfield options are The Ox, Shaq,Jones, Nabby. Milner is back up. If a solid offer comes in for Gini I think we will snatch their hands off.

We are in midfield more about control and possession.Thiago brings that in abundance. We have attacking options and support coming from the full/wing backs so control and possession through the midfield is vital. So Thiago fits the template 100%.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      Reply #53: Sep 21, 2020 02:30:42 pm
      Fab, Hendo and Thiago are they competing to be out holding playmaker or could we play 2 out of 3. The attacking midfield options are The Ox, Shaq,Jones, Nabby. Milner is back up. If a solid offer comes in for Gini I think we will snatch their hands off.

When you consider that Fabinho by the looks of things will have to put in a few games at CB as 4th choice and I know this is very early that Hendo seems to be having fitness issues we won't be so quick to sell off Gini unless the player pushes for the move.

The situation coming on the 2nd half up a man was perfect for Thiago who can show off his passing since we had so much of the ball. I expect more of the same vs Arsenal who will do same thing they did a couple months ago at the Emirates just letting us have 70 percent of the ball.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,904 posts | 818 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #54: Sep 21, 2020 03:05:43 pm
      Think he can play anywhere in that midfield three, but makes most sense for me for him to be the deep lying midfielder if Fabinho is going to be CB.

I personally would like to see a midfield three of;

Thiago

Hendo   
                   Keita

With Thiago playing the deep lying role, hendo playing box to box and Keita being the most attacking.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #55: Sep 21, 2020 03:33:59 pm
      Think he can play anywhere in that midfield three, but makes most sense for me for him to be the deep lying midfielder if Fabinho is going to be CB.

I personally would like to see a midfield three of;

Thiago

Hendo   
                   Keita

With Thiago playing the deep lying role, hendo playing box to box and Keita being the most attacking.

The way we press, I don't think the roles are so well defined. The midfield three are moving forward and back together. One is slightly deeper than the others. That's probably about it. I do think once someone is out of position when pressing, another player comes in to fill that position. This makes or formation fluid. Do correct me if I'm wrong. But yes, on paper as a starting line up, this formation could be the case.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,904 posts | 818 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #56: Sep 21, 2020 08:54:22 pm
      The way we press, I don't think the roles are so well defined. The midfield three are moving forward and back together. One is slightly deeper than the others. That's probably about it. I do think once someone is out of position when pressing, another player comes in to fill that position. This makes or formation fluid. Do correct me if I'm wrong. But yes, on paper as a starting line up, this formation could be the case.

I feel that there is always one who is deepest, e.g Fabinho if in Midfield or Hendo if Fab is missing. But the other two it is definitely the case that they fill in for each other and there is no pre-defined role as such.

I would just ideally like to see that.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #57: Sep 21, 2020 11:07:22 pm
      I feel that there is always one who is deepest, e.g Fabinho if in Midfield or Hendo if Fab is missing. But the other two it is definitely the case that they fill in for each other and there is no pre-defined role as such.

I would just ideally like to see that.

There's always one who is deepest, but it's not always the same one. Like.

Scottbot

• 9,600 posts | 2156 
      Reply #58: Sep 21, 2020 11:57:22 pm
      I disagree with your assessment, but perhaps that speaks volumes of the versatility of Thiago. I see him as being the player who can help us unlock stubborn low block teams, playing alongside Keita to find those cute angles and passes to cut through the defence. 

What ever way you look at it we have signed a superb midfielder who will take us to the next level.

What assessment do you think I’ve made? I think he’s awesome, cracking player and delighted to have him.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #59: Sep 23, 2020 11:18:03 am
      Really wondering if the biggest change resulting from Thiago coming in to the #6 spot is that Fabinho is going to be playing A LOT of center back this season.

ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #60: Sep 23, 2020 01:59:49 pm
      Really wondering if the biggest change resulting from Thiago coming in to the #6 spot is that Fabinho is going to be playing A LOT of center back this season.

I think Fab feels threatened, so he volunteered at CB. And therefore he had no choice but to step up and pocket Timo. :lmao: :lmao:  :aaliverpool2xt1:
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #61: Sep 23, 2020 02:14:56 pm
      I think Fab feels threatened, so he volunteered at CB. And therefore he had no choice but to step up and pocket Timo. :lmao: :lmao:  :aaliverpool2xt1:

You should be a therapist, like.  :)
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #62: Sep 23, 2020 03:57:08 pm
      What assessment do you think I’ve made? I think he’s awesome, cracking player and delighted to have him.

I was talking about your tactical assessment, I thought you were implying he was more of a DM type midfielder whereas I see him more as a QB/Xabi Alonso style midfielder.
      He is a brilliant signing and I think he gives us a superb chance of retaining the league title.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #63: Sep 26, 2020 09:37:51 am
      rossyred

• 9,260 posts | 1659 
      Reply #64: Sep 26, 2020 10:04:22 am

Pretty much sums up what some of us have been saying about starving our full backs and simply giving us more space in the centre where we have lacked this kind of player
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #65: Sep 26, 2020 10:53:22 am
      Pretty much sums up what some of us have been saying about starving our full backs and simply giving us more space in the centre where we have lacked this kind of player

Pep Ljinders was talking about it last season as I recall.
      « Last Edit: Sep 26, 2020 06:06:06 pm by Robby The Z »
      rossyred

• 9,260 posts | 1659 
      Reply #66: Sep 26, 2020 11:00:00 am
      Pep Ljinders was talking about last season as I recall.

Yep and they have gone and done something about it even though the success of last year was massive they have still looked to evolve and tweak things
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #67: Sep 26, 2020 01:01:26 pm
      Yep and they have gone and done something about it even though the success of last year was massive they have still looked to evolve and tweak things

No arguing that the signing you wanted so badly is looking like a very good improvement for an already great team. Hoping Monday is another demonstration of that. Fancy giving the Gunners a hiding?

rossyred

• 9,260 posts | 1659 
      Reply #68: Sep 26, 2020 01:15:41 pm
      No arguing that the signing you wanted so badly is looking like a very good improvement for an already great team. Hoping Monday is another demonstration of that. Fancy giving the Gunners a hiding?

Don't think it will be a hiding they have sorted the weak underbelly pre Arteta and more stable especially defensively. Gone for a 2-1 win
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,921 posts | 4986 
      Reply #69: Sep 26, 2020 01:20:01 pm
      Most of the media and practically all of the pundits have waxed lyrical over KDB and what he means to Citeh, and rightly so, it’s been said that a KDB in the current Liverpool side would make us virtually unbeatable,
      Well, I think we have found our own KDB in Thiago, he too can control the tempo of a game, he too has the vision and intelligence that those pundits have drooled over, he has the skills and passing ability that can split the tightest of defences, into the paths of Messers, Salah, Firmino, Mane or Jota,

I think the Thiago signing has given us a huge advantage and has seriously cut the odds of us retaining our crown, as Tony Evans article alludes to, he gives guile and a expertise we perhaps lacked last season and before, well not any more, now we have everything we need, Jürgen can opt to use 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 and switch at will, it’s true that clubs were finding us out, blocking Trent & Robbo, but now they won’t have a f***in scooby what we’ll do,

I really don’t like getting ahead of myself but I honestly can’t see us not winning the league again this season, Citeh are still our closest rivals and I look at them and see a very good side but then I look at us and I see a better very good side, in seasons past they had strength of depth and better quality over us, I don’t think we can say that now, do they have a better keeper, not so sure, I think Ali just about shaves it IMO, have they a better back four, definitely not, is their midfield better than ours, again I don’t think it is, and are their top three better than ours, not a f***in chance, and their bench, is it any better than ours, arguably not,

That 18 point gap between us , that just wasn’t about how we won more games than them, it tells me that our manager got more out of our players than Pep did of his, it tells me who has a more oiled machine, a better system with all its components working together with more efficiency, and perhaps most of all it tells me who the better team is and has a better chance of more success going  forward , I know who my money is on !

Y  N  W  A
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #70: Sep 28, 2020 06:25:54 am
      Most of the media and practically all of the pundits have waxed lyrical over KDB and what he means to Citeh, and rightly so, it’s been said that a KDB in the current Liverpool side would make us virtually unbeatable,
      Well, I think we have found our own KDB in Thiago, he too can control the tempo of a game, he too has the vision and intelligence that those pundits have drooled over, he has the skills and passing ability that can split the tightest of defences, into the paths of Messers, Salah, Firmino, Mane or Jota,

I think the Thiago signing has given us a huge advantage and has seriously cut the odds of us retaining our crown, as Tony Evans article alludes to, he gives guile and a expertise we perhaps lacked last season and before, well not any more, now we have everything we need, Jürgen can opt to use 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 and switch at will, it’s true that clubs were finding us out, blocking Trent & Robbo, but now they won’t have a f***in scooby what we’ll do,

I really don’t like getting ahead of myself but I honestly can’t see us not winning the league again this season, Citeh are still our closest rivals and I look at them and see a very good side but then I look at us and I see a better very good side, in seasons past they had strength of depth and better quality over us, I don’t think we can say that now, do they have a better keeper, not so sure, I think Ali just about shaves it IMO, have they a better back four, definitely not, is their midfield better than ours, again I don’t think it is, and are their top three better than ours, not a f***in chance, and their bench, is it any better than ours, arguably not,

That 18 point gap between us , that just wasn’t about how we won more games than them, it tells me that our manager got more out of our players than Pep did of his, it tells me who has a more oiled machine, a better system with all its components working together with more efficiency, and perhaps most of all it tells me who the better team is and has a better chance of more success going  forward , I know who my money is on !

Y  N  W  A

Thiago and KDB are not the same at all. One is an attacking midfielder who has excellent vision and passing while Thiago is more a playmaker type who moves the ball in midfield, closes down the opposition and sets the tempo. He has good vision too and a good passing range but he does not provide as many assists or score as many goals as KDB.

They are not similar.

They have a better bench. Shaqiri, Origi, Minamino and Jota have everything to prove.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Reply #71: Oct 05, 2020 12:13:33 pm
      Think we might have to reassess the aggressive high line until Alisson is back, clearly we are not going to drop the way we are set up butthe difference this season so far seems to be the midfielders are pressing very high joining in with the front 3 leaving a ton of space the opposition can exploit, which unfortunately with the likes of Trent in our side is suicidal as he won’t get the protection from midfield he needs.

Plenty already been said about playing such a style with a keeper rooted to the line.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #72: Oct 05, 2020 12:55:27 pm
      I'd like to see us play more dynamically in midfield when Thiago is back with Hendo and one of Naby/Gini/Minamino next to him. Move Fab to CB next to Virgil.

Would also play Jota in the CF role for a few games to see how he plays with both Mane and Salah. I think Diogo could do really well in this position as he has intelligent link up play and an eye for the goal which is something Bobby has lacked for a while now.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,471 posts | 1466 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #73: Oct 07, 2020 12:21:16 pm
      Seeing as Fab is going to be playing in CB a bit more this season, could it be worth testing a 3-4-3? Fab being a player who’s played LB would give him a advantage to being on the left of Dijk, Gomez on the right, it also helps avoid Gomez getting too exposed when Trent is forward, which I think teams are starting to target.
      Something like this (assuming a full fit club)

Alisson
                Gomez Dijk Fabinho
      Trent    Hendo   Thiago     Robbo
           Salah     Firmino   Mane

Or even 3-5-2;

Alisson
             Gomez Dijk Fabinho
                Hendo   Thiago
       Trent       Firmino        Robbo
               Salah        Mane

Quick Reply