Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Thiago and our Tactics: How Does our new #6 fit in and affect the team?

Read 8408 times
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Re: Thiago and our Tactics: How Does our new #6 fit in and affect the team?
      Reply #46: Sep 18, 2020 02:33:51 pm
      Yeah, wouldn't be surprised myself. Although he hasn't looked too sharp in that position for us considering he played it for several years at Arsenal and was very impressive

Maybe it's just due to not playing there regularly anymore, or it could be that his injury is hindering his ability to play in that position. With the quick changes of pace and bursts needed to play as a wide attacker / winger I wonder if his ACL issues have made that a little harder

I agree he isn't overly effective on the flank as oppose to the middle but given the way Klopp used him wide, lack of options and amount of bodies in the middle I just see it playing at that way atm. Surprises me to see he was our top scorer outside front 3 last season
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #47: Sep 19, 2020 02:10:38 am
      JĆ¼rgen on fitting in all the midifelders, particularly Thiago and Gini:

ā€œI was asked about Gini and I said that if someone comes in, that is not a reason for someone else to leave,ā€ Liverpoolā€™s manager said. ā€œI canā€™t prepare for a normal season when a season is not normal. We have to find ways to keep the players as fresh as possible. That probably means rotation.ā€
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #48: Sep 19, 2020 07:22:31 am
      Dunno lads if this has been mentioning above if so apologies, the excitement on signing Thiago is thru the roof, and rightly so, Scotiaā€™s analogy is the best yet, ā€˜A Rolls Royce that can rallyā€™, brilliant that, you cannot ignore those who know him best, Hansi Flick, Pep G, they have worked with this lad and know how good he is,
      JĆ¼rgen & our own Pep have recognised that his skills  are exactly what we need, and probably what has been missing, last couple of seasons we have dominated the EPL employing the high press successfully, and using both fullbacks Trent & Robbo, as attacking wingers but like any tactic sides find a way to nullify it, so a change has to be sought to stay ahead of the rest, so I believe a change of formation will have the desired effect,

4-2-3-1, I think is what J&P have agreed on, not the first time they have tried this of course, itā€™s nothing new per se, but maybe the individuals used just couldnā€™t carry it thru, for whatever reason, but bring in a player that has the vision & intelligence to open the tightest of defences, the strongest of parked buses, to break through & get behind them with intricate passing and clever play is I think where Thiago will thrive, now just take a minute and imagine Thiago linking up with Bobby, the flicks & the tricks will have defences bamboozled like slight of hand magicians, and magicians is exactly what they will be, are you getting more excited by these thoughts like I am ?

The options we now have using that formation is unbelievable, in fact we only need to add one component from Henderson, Milner, Keita, Wijnaldom,Minamino, Jones, any of those six can sit in comfortably knowing their particular role, so maybe, just maybe, my madcap three of Fabinho, Thiago & Keita isnā€™t as far fetched a idea after all, for now though we all sit with bated breath & unfettered excitement waiting for the impending successes.

Y  N  W  A
      « Last Edit: Sep 19, 2020 07:36:27 am by billythered »
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #49: Sep 19, 2020 07:53:38 am
      It's a cracking signing isn't it, probably not a desperate need as such but given the short summer break and the condensed season ahead i think al the midfield lads will get plenty of game time and maybe we will even be more competitive in the domestic cups this year, it would be nice to get a run or two going.

As for how we might set up and the impact on our tactics i don't see any massive changes tactically. I guess we might see 2 sitters a little more often e.g. Fabinho alongside Thiago with someone like Keita ahead of them. As a few have said i think he will enable us to keep the ball better, we're already decent in possession to be fair but he is so comfortable on the ball it will enable us to play a more patient style, be a little bit less energetic. I read an article from Danny Murphy the other day (i think) or it might have been Carra, he was saying that how the no crowds suited City the most becasue they are so technical, the sanitised atmosphere suits their possession game where as we rely on the press which in turn fires up the crowd who contribute to the jitters that our lads feed off.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #50: Sep 19, 2020 09:18:06 am
      It's a cracking signing isn't it, probably not a desperate need as such but given the short summer break and the condensed season ahead i think al the midfield lads will get plenty of game time and maybe we will even be more competitive in the domestic cups this year, it would be nice to get a run or two going.

As for how we might set up and the impact on our tactics i don't see any massive changes tactically. I guess we might see 2 sitters a little more often e.g. Fabinho alongside Thiago with someone like Keita ahead of them. As a few have said i think he will enable us to keep the ball better, we're already decent in possession to be fair but he is so comfortable on the ball it will enable us to play a more patient style, be a little bit less energetic. I read an article from Danny Murphy the other day (i think) or it might have been Carra, he was saying that how the no crowds suited City the most becasue they are so technical, the sanitised atmosphere suits their possession game where as we rely on the press which in turn fires up the crowd who contribute to the jitters that our lads feed off.

I disagree with your assessment, but perhaps that speaks volumes of the versatility of Thiago. I see him as being the player who can help us unlock stubborn low block teams, playing alongside Keita to find those cute angles and passes to cut through the defence. 

What ever way you look at it we have signed a superb midfielder who will take us to the next level.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #51: Sep 19, 2020 06:17:14 pm
      JĆ¼rgen on fitting in all the midifelders, particularly Thiago and Gini:

ā€œI was asked about Gini and I said that if someone comes in, that is not a reason for someone else to leave,ā€ Liverpoolā€™s manager said. ā€œI canā€™t prepare for a normal season when a season is not normal. We have to find ways to keep the players as fresh as possible. That probably means rotation.ā€

Or as Rafa used to say "possibilities"
      Harrisimo

• 7,967 posts | 1355 
      Reply #52: Sep 21, 2020 12:28:12 am
      Fab, Hendo and Thiago are they competing to be out holding playmaker or could we play 2 out of 3. The attacking midfield options are The Ox, Shaq,Jones, Nabby. Milner is back up. If a solid offer comes in for Gini I think we will snatch their hands off.

We are in midfield more about control and possession.Thiago brings that in abundance. We have attacking options and support coming from the full/wing backs so control and possession through the midfield is vital. So Thiago fits the template 100%.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #53: Sep 21, 2020 02:30:42 pm
      Fab, Hendo and Thiago are they competing to be out holding playmaker or could we play 2 out of 3. The attacking midfield options are The Ox, Shaq,Jones, Nabby. Milner is back up. If a solid offer comes in for Gini I think we will snatch their hands off.

When you consider that Fabinho by the looks of things will have to put in a few games at CB as 4th choice and I know this is very early that Hendo seems to be having fitness issues we won't be so quick to sell off Gini unless the player pushes for the move.

The situation coming on the 2nd half up a man was perfect for Thiago who can show off his passing since we had so much of the ball. I expect more of the same vs Arsenal who will do same thing they did a couple months ago at the Emirates just letting us have 70 percent of the ball.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #54: Sep 21, 2020 03:05:43 pm
      Think he can play anywhere in that midfield three, but makes most sense for me for him to be the deep lying midfielder if Fabinho is going to be CB.

I personally would like to see a midfield three of;

Thiago

Hendo   
                   Keita

With Thiago playing the deep lying role, hendo playing box to box and Keita being the most attacking.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #55: Sep 21, 2020 03:33:59 pm
      Think he can play anywhere in that midfield three, but makes most sense for me for him to be the deep lying midfielder if Fabinho is going to be CB.

I personally would like to see a midfield three of;

Thiago

Hendo   
                   Keita

With Thiago playing the deep lying role, hendo playing box to box and Keita being the most attacking.

The way we press, I don't think the roles are so well defined. The midfield three are moving forward and back together. One is slightly deeper than the others. That's probably about it. I do think once someone is out of position when pressing, another player comes in to fill that position. This makes or formation fluid. Do correct me if I'm wrong. But yes, on paper as a starting line up, this formation could be the case.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #56: Sep 21, 2020 08:54:22 pm
      The way we press, I don't think the roles are so well defined. The midfield three are moving forward and back together. One is slightly deeper than the others. That's probably about it. I do think once someone is out of position when pressing, another player comes in to fill that position. This makes or formation fluid. Do correct me if I'm wrong. But yes, on paper as a starting line up, this formation could be the case.

I feel that there is always one who is deepest, e.g Fabinho if in Midfield or Hendo if Fab is missing. But the other two it is definitely the case that they fill in for each other and there is no pre-defined role as such.

I would just ideally like to see that.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #57: Sep 21, 2020 11:07:22 pm
      I feel that there is always one who is deepest, e.g Fabinho if in Midfield or Hendo if Fab is missing. But the other two it is definitely the case that they fill in for each other and there is no pre-defined role as such.

I would just ideally like to see that.

There's always one who is deepest, but it's not always the same one. Like.

Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #58: Sep 21, 2020 11:57:22 pm
      I disagree with your assessment, but perhaps that speaks volumes of the versatility of Thiago. I see him as being the player who can help us unlock stubborn low block teams, playing alongside Keita to find those cute angles and passes to cut through the defence. 

What ever way you look at it we have signed a superb midfielder who will take us to the next level.

What assessment do you think Iā€™ve made? I think heā€™s awesome, cracking player and delighted to have him.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #59: Sep 23, 2020 11:18:03 am
      Really wondering if the biggest change resulting from Thiago coming in to the #6 spot is that Fabinho is going to be playing A LOT of center back this season.

ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #60: Sep 23, 2020 01:59:49 pm
      Really wondering if the biggest change resulting from Thiago coming in to the #6 spot is that Fabinho is going to be playing A LOT of center back this season.

I think Fab feels threatened, so he volunteered at CB. And therefore he had no choice but to step up and pocket Timo. :lmao: :lmao:  :aaliverpool2xt1:
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #61: Sep 23, 2020 02:14:56 pm
      I think Fab feels threatened, so he volunteered at CB. And therefore he had no choice but to step up and pocket Timo. :lmao: :lmao:  :aaliverpool2xt1:

You should be a therapist, like.  :)
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #62: Sep 23, 2020 03:57:08 pm
      What assessment do you think Iā€™ve made? I think heā€™s awesome, cracking player and delighted to have him.

I was talking about your tactical assessment, I thought you were implying he was more of a DM type midfielder whereas I see him more as a QB/Xabi Alonso style midfielder.
      He is a brilliant signing and I think he gives us a superb chance of retaining the league title.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #63: Sep 26, 2020 09:37:51 am
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #64: Sep 26, 2020 10:04:22 am

Pretty much sums up what some of us have been saying about starving our full backs and simply giving us more space in the centre where we have lacked this kind of player
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #65: Sep 26, 2020 10:53:22 am
      Pretty much sums up what some of us have been saying about starving our full backs and simply giving us more space in the centre where we have lacked this kind of player

Pep Ljinders was talking about it last season as I recall.
      « Last Edit: Sep 26, 2020 06:06:06 pm by Robby The Z »
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #66: Sep 26, 2020 11:00:00 am
      Pep Ljinders was talking about last season as I recall.

Yep and they have gone and done something about it even though the success of last year was massive they have still looked to evolve and tweak things
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #67: Sep 26, 2020 01:01:26 pm
      Yep and they have gone and done something about it even though the success of last year was massive they have still looked to evolve and tweak things

No arguing that the signing you wanted so badly is looking like a very good improvement for an already great team. Hoping Monday is another demonstration of that. Fancy giving the Gunners a hiding?

rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #68: Sep 26, 2020 01:15:41 pm
      No arguing that the signing you wanted so badly is looking like a very good improvement for an already great team. Hoping Monday is another demonstration of that. Fancy giving the Gunners a hiding?

Don't think it will be a hiding they have sorted the weak underbelly pre Arteta and more stable especially defensively. Gone for a 2-1 win

Quick Reply