Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Diogo Jota - Wolves

Read 13335 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Re: Diego Jota - Wolves
      Reply #92: Sep 19, 2020 03:18:04 am
      People mentioning Werner, that money was going to be all up front. These deals are spread out over multiple years which means they are more palatable especially considering outgoings. So far good business as long as we aren’t selling stars.

RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #93: Sep 19, 2020 07:08:25 am
      Never watched the lad (truth be told I rarely watch any games besides ours) but here’s hoping he’s a fit for our red machine.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #94: Sep 19, 2020 07:24:14 am
      On paper I do have to say this is an astonishing signing. Very average record, never impressed me in a match and he misses out in Wolves best XI plenty of times.

That being said I felt Mane would be an average signing and he ended up being our best winger since Barnes so I clearly know F**k all and better keep my mouth shut!

His stats for a winger are quite impressive I thought. At first glance hes a decent player but then hes got a few bits of exceptional form in the book. I think if he gets game time he can do well and at certain points in the season he will catch fire. 3 career hatricks tells you he can hit some decent runs of form.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #95: Sep 19, 2020 07:26:59 am
      His stats for a winger are quite impressive I thought. At first glance hes a decent player but then hes got a few bits of exceptional form in the book. I think if he gets game time he can do well and at certain points in the season he will catch fire. 3 career hatricks tells you he can hit some decent runs of form.

His finishing is top draw mate
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #96: Sep 19, 2020 08:12:50 am
      he misses out in Wolves best XI plenty of times.

I've seen this a couple of times here and not sure where it comes from?

Had a look just to see if I was going mad but he started 29 out of 33 in 18/19 and 27 out of 34 last season in the league.

Pretty much a regular starter since he signed.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #97: Sep 19, 2020 08:33:30 am
      What I can’t quite understand is NES hasn’t played him that much, and not as a starter, but yet the lad oozes quality, the kind of quality yet unhinged that Jürgen will get the best of, most of the time we have seen him is left side and he thrives there, but he can play almost anywhere forward of say Fabinho, so his versatility is key, for me Landing him spells the end for Shaq for sure, maybe even Ox, for this lad can be utilised in both roles,

Think Andy Robertson in terms of ‘Who’ when he was first mentioned as a signing, not saying Jota will have the same impact but in relation to quality it’s similar .

Another brilliant piece of business this is !

Y  N  W  A
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #98: Sep 19, 2020 08:34:43 am
      What I can’t quite understand is NES hasn’t played him that much, and not as a starter, but yet the lad oozes quality, the kind of quality yet unhinged that Jürgen will get the best of, most of the time we have seen him is left side and he thrives there, but he can play almost anywhere forward of say Fabinho, so his versatility is key, for me Landing him spells the end for Shaq for sure, maybe even Ox, for this lad can be utilised in both roles,

Think Andy Robertson in terms of ‘Who’ when he was first mentioned as a signing, not saying Jota will have the same impact but in relation to quality it’s similar .

Another brilliant piece of business this is !

Y  N  W  A

erm see the above post, he has started the majority of games, why do you think he hasn't??
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #99: Sep 19, 2020 08:35:38 am
      I've seen this a couple of times here and not sure where it comes from?

Had a look just to see if I was going mad but he started 29 out of 33 in 18/19 and 27 out of 34 last season in the league.

Pretty much a regular starter since he signed.

Just shows how much I know, didn’t realise he had featured as much 😂
      Philc1207
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 189 posts | 21 
      Reply #100: Sep 19, 2020 08:39:41 am
      Could be a great signing he's a good finisher, probably be happy to play back up to front three for now but with more quality than other back ups. Can see either Divock orBrewster moving on though
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #101: Sep 19, 2020 08:53:20 am
      Could be a great signing he's a good finisher, probably be happy to play back up to front three for now but with more quality than other back ups. Can see either Divock orBrewster moving on though

He is definitely a big upgrade on Origi and Brewster, finally we have proper cover for Mane and Salah, plus he's a player who will just get better and better.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #102: Sep 19, 2020 08:53:58 am
      Very rare post from a long-time lurker...

Hailing from the Midlands originally (but with enthusiasm for football fired by Messrs Dalglish, Fairclough, Johnson and Neal, circa 1977/78), I've got a fair few mates who are Wolves fans. I'd say that if asked to name the three players they'd hate to lose, it'd be three out of Jiminez, Jota, Traore and Neves. They've just spent the thick end of £35m on an 18-year old (Fabio Silva) and the theory is that he's not going to be warming the bench, even allowing for his youth.

There is a feeling amongst some Wolves fans that Jota can be a bit temperamental, which Jürgen will want to sort out if true (but if anyone can...)

<scuttles off to lurk for another few years>

Think the same used to be said about mane that he had temper before he arrived. Klopp wasn’t long ironing that out when he came! Great to hear from someone that knows fans of the team we’re buying from that they value him! Many good footballers on that wolves team not just the few you mentioned but the likes of Otto, Coady, Boly and the goalkeeper also!
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #103: Sep 19, 2020 09:20:18 am
      I read that the deal is £4m upfront for Diogo but we receive £9m upfront for Ki-Jana. We pocket £5m upfront for the exchange. Insane! Michael Edwards deserves to be worshipped.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,952 posts | 217 
      Reply #104: Sep 19, 2020 09:41:55 am
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #105: Sep 19, 2020 11:14:41 am

What I love about this is that as good as he already is there is so much room for improvement, for example pressure regains and where better to learn that than with us.
      smurftheburn
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 589 posts | 28 
      Reply #106: Sep 19, 2020 11:19:05 am
      Probably one of them on twitter begging for another lockdown

Ah the classic totally unrelated point that exposes the kind of tw*t you are. Class.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #107: Sep 19, 2020 11:19:59 am
      Had a great 18/19 season - goals and assists aplenty.  Bit quieter last season although from what I remember he picked up a few injuries.  In fact that's the only downside to him - he does seem to miss a few games here and there.  (Speaking here in my capacity that I was ahead of Michael Edwards and had him in my fantasy league team the last two years!! ;))

A lot of potential though if he was smashing other teams up when he had just arrived into the Premier League in Wolves first season.

I suspect he's been on the radar for some time and they've spent a lot of time on the analysis for him.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #108: Sep 19, 2020 11:39:35 am
      Ah the classic totally unrelated point that exposes the kind of tw*t you are. Class.

Yawn
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #109: Sep 19, 2020 12:48:56 pm
      Buzzing for this announcement
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #110: Sep 19, 2020 01:07:59 pm

I wonder if we are just taking care of the media work in order to unveil it like what is going on already with Thiago.

Would the first team have left for London already?

GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #111: Sep 19, 2020 01:32:38 pm
      Fantastic signing this ! We need one more CB for cover and everything looks good.

Also need to offload Karius, Grujic, Wilson, Awonyi, Shaqiri and maybe Origi (to keep Brewster).
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #112: Sep 19, 2020 03:01:52 pm
      Can a mod please correct my misspelling of his name in the OP, please? It is tearing away at my very soul.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,952 posts | 217 
      Reply #113: Sep 19, 2020 03:21:05 pm
      NUNO SALUTES JOTA

Wolves head coach Nuno Espirito Santo says Diogo Jota is "going to the right place" after confirming the player will join Premier League champions Liverpool.

Portuguese forward Jota will move to Anfield for a fee reportedly rising to £45m, with young defender Ki-Jana Hoever heading in the opposite direction.

"Diogo is amazing and everybody knows the relationship we built. What Diogo did for us is absolutely fantastic," said Nuno at his pre-match press conference.

"I think Diogo is going to the right place and we wish him all the best, knowing that it never be forgotten, especially by our fans, all the memorable moments that Diogo provided."

Nuno hopes to swiftly recruit a direct replacement for Jota having already identified an unnamed target.

"We still have to adjust the squad. It's clear that we need to balance our squad better. We already identified the targets, we know the player we want to bring and now we hope that our plan continues as it previously did.

"Jeff (Shi, Wolves' executive chairman) knows who is our target and where we need to work on our squad."
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #114: Sep 19, 2020 03:49:01 pm
      Wow we have moved quickly over the last 48 hours.

Before the window i said I wanted a back up LB and another forward. Got both of those plus Thiago, our squad looks very well equipped to defend the title now.

Credit absolutely has to go to Edwards on this one, we've been chatting wham bars about Thiago and Sarr, Edwards goes old school and quietly gets this done.

Get in!
      « Last Edit: Sep 19, 2020 06:15:00 pm by HUYTON RED »

Quick Reply