Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Diogo Jota - Wolves

Read 13343 times
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Re: Diego Jota - Wolves
      Reply #115: Sep 19, 2020 04:18:07 pm
      Interesting little bit of stat that I stumbled upon on Transfermarkt.

Those are Wolves exclusive but NOT exclusively PL numbers (they involve all the competitions he played in with Wolves since signing for them):

As a Left Winger: Played 76, scored 19 and assisted 7

As a Center forward: Played 37, scored 18, assisted 8

As a Secondary striker: Played 12, scored 3, assisted 5

As a Right winger  : Played 1, scored 0, assisted 0

It's a simple bit of statistic but it gives a good little insight into what we are getting but more importantly into what role Klopp and his staff are, presumably, eyeing for the lad. Based on those numbers I think he is brought in to be competing with Mane and Firmino. However, based on his qualities and how he seems to be a bit more comfortable in the middle (as his numbers are a bit more prolific there) I'd say he will be given a lot of games in the Firmino role.

The fact that he can do a good job in both positions also means that he will probably see a lot of games. With the insane schedule we're gonna have this season some heavier than usual rotation will be needed. This, along with the fact that he is proven PL quality, justifies the price tag more than what we would've paid for Sarr.

Both are quality but Sarr played 26 of his 28 games for Watford on the right wing which is not ideal considering we need flexibility and as much quality cover across the frontline as we can get and this would've ultimately translated into less games played by the lad which, again, does not help justify a heavy price tag (in the very basic terms of money/games played ratio).

I think that at this level of the game sometime you might need cover over the entirety of your frontline but the quality available paired with the money you can shell out ultimately dictates which position you end up covering.

There is also a point worth being made that if you need to rest Salah you can easily throw in Jota at LW and switch Mane over to RW and retain a mean attacking edge. You can also throw in Jota at RW if necessary because, if I remember correctly, the lad is also super good on both feet.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #116: Sep 19, 2020 04:56:53 pm
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #117: Sep 19, 2020 05:01:22 pm
      Too slow motherfuckers 😁
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,952 posts | 217 
      Reply #118: Sep 19, 2020 05:07:25 pm
      just completed, Liverpool player
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,952 posts | 217 
      Reply #119: Sep 19, 2020 05:08:56 pm
      JOTA: IMPOSSIBLE TO SAY NO

Here's what Diogo Jota's had to say after sealing a move to Liverpool that was "impossible" to turn down:

"Itā€™s just a really exciting moment for me and my family,ā€ he told Liverpool's website.

ā€œTo join a club like Liverpool ā€“ the world champions ā€“ is just unbelievable.

ā€œIt is one of the best teams in the world ā€“ the best at the moment because they are world champions. When you look at the Premier League, you always see Liverpool as one of the biggest teams in the country, so itā€™s impossible to say no.

"I think I am a team player. I play up front and my job is to find a way to score goals and to provide assists and thatā€™s what they can expect from me ā€“ that I will always do my best."
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #120: Sep 19, 2020 05:22:30 pm
      Baffling some of the comments in this thread. People saying theyā€™ve watched plenty of wolves but have never noticed Jota? No idea what theyā€™ve been watching because he was easily one of their best players / stand out performers.

Others saying he didnā€™t even make wolves starting 11. Again, he was one of the first names on the team sheet. Mad claim.

Then people turning their nose up at his stats. Heā€™s in a mid table prem side with an average midfield. What was manes stats at southampton? Iā€™d guess similar.

As cover, heā€™s a great signing. Exactly what we need. Very tidy and comfortable on the ball, fairly quick, can play anywhere across the front three (He has played as a second striker before as well as out wide). He will fit in well here and I think JĆ¼rgen will get a lot out of him and maximise his huge potential. Maybe bobby will book his ideas up now because weā€™ve got a genuine player who can come into the team now.

Great signing. Great couple of days for us. Didnā€™t expect it at all.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,952 posts | 217 
      Reply #121: Sep 19, 2020 08:12:17 pm
      Baffling some of the comments in this thread. People saying theyā€™ve watched plenty of wolves but have never noticed Jota? No idea what theyā€™ve been watching because he was easily one of their best players / stand out performers.

Others saying he didnā€™t even make wolves starting 11. Again, he was one of the first names on the team sheet. Mad claim.

Then people turning their nose up at his stats. Heā€™s in a mid table prem side with an average midfield. What was manes stats at southampton? Iā€™d guess similar.

As cover, heā€™s a great signing. Exactly what we need. Very tidy and comfortable on the ball, fairly quick, can play anywhere across the front three (He has played as a second striker before as well as out wide). He will fit in well here and I think JĆ¼rgen will get a lot out of him and maximise his huge potential. Maybe bobby will book his ideas up now because weā€™ve got a genuine player who can come into the team now.

you never know he might even surprise every one and klopp will have to start him in the 11 
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #122: Sep 19, 2020 08:15:37 pm

Fully agree remember one game he was coming back from injury and on bench and when he came on was worried because the last game he played against us was a handful .
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 867 posts | 101 
      Re: Diogo Jota - Wolves
      Reply #123: Sep 20, 2020 09:42:30 am
      ugly git, Id rather have had the good looking Jiminez, but we have our own Bernardo Silva now heheh
      Kopite78
      Reply #124: Sep 20, 2020 10:05:42 am
      ugly git, Id rather have had the good looking Jiminez, but we have our own Bernardo Silva now heheh

Funnily enough I dont rate signings on how stiff they make me
      Kopite78
      Reply #125: Sep 20, 2020 10:11:42 am
      That sort of infers that they do actually make you stiff by some measure though.

Where have all the straight men gone?  :f_tongueincheek: ;)

If he nets kop end against the blues then I'll be knocking things off the sideboard
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #126: Sep 20, 2020 01:11:49 pm

Quick Reply