Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Thiago Alcantara Player Thread (M)

Read 116229 times
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,529 posts | 1083 
      Re: Thiago Alcantara Player Thread (M)
      Reply #1265: Feb 09, 2024 10:40:33 am
      Some puerile sh*t posted on here today...So much for You'll never walk alone.

The issue isn't with thiago. He gets injured all the time. The club knew this.

My issue is with the club. They, and some on here tell us the club operates as a business. So where the fcuk is the business in that this lad has cost the club about 70m including his transfer fee and there has been no return.

He should have gone 2 years ago. We could have got a fee and saved ourselves around 24m in wages. As it is ... the club never learns and much like chamberlain and keita who also should have been shipped out, he will walk away for free having contributed the square root of fcuk all the last 2 years whilst taking gone north of 20m in wages.

That's the clubs fault . My issue is with the club. We're supposed to be a business ... where money out has yo have return on the pitch. And between the 3 of them there was no return on the pitch. They didn't learn with chamberlain and keita ... and have repeated the trick.

I'm done in this thread. My issue isn't with thiago as predictable as this weeks events have been. My issue is with the club who have just thrown money away for 2 years and didn't learn its lesson re chamberlain and keita. It's a joke and this past 2 years is as much of a joke as it was predictable.

He will head to Saudi in the summer or the US ... or just retire. Good luck to him.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #1266: Feb 09, 2024 10:58:20 am

My issue is with the club. They, and some on here tell us the club operates as a business. So where the fcuk is the business in that this lad has cost the club about 70m including his transfer fee and there has been no return.

He should have gone 2 years ago. We could have got a fee and saved ourselves around 24m in wages. As it is ... the club never learns and much like chamberlain and keita who also should have been shipped out, he will walk away for free having contributed the square root of fcuk all the last 2 years whilst taking gone north of 20m in wages.

That's the clubs fault . My issue is with the club. We're supposed to be a business ... where money out has yo have return on the pitch. And between the 3 of them there was no return on the pitch. They didn't learn with chamberlain and keita ... and have repeated the trick.

I'm done in this thread. My issue isn't with thiago as predictable as this weeks events have been. My issue is with the club who have just thrown money away for 2 years and didn't learn its lesson re chamberlain and keita. It's a joke and this past 2 years is as much of a joke as it was predictable.

He will head to Saudi in the summer or the US ... or just retire. Good luck to him.

They love taking a punt it’s the FSG way, sometimes it doesn’t come off.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,933 posts | 3407 
      Reply #1267: Feb 09, 2024 12:06:07 pm

Name one club that hasn’t signed a player that’s ended up having injury issues

It’s part of the game - players get injuries , we have seen it with the likes of Owen

The likes of Ox got a bad knee playing for the club

They all contributed to the club winning trophies through their time at the club

And talk of “getting rid” - can you let us know which clubs were offering money for them
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #1268: Feb 09, 2024 12:25:53 pm
      What a player when he was fit.

But sometimes availability is the most important ability.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #1269: Feb 09, 2024 01:20:34 pm
      There are those who love a tried tested and proven player. Thiago is that player. When the club brings one of such player in, we say that he’s too injury prone. If the club brings in someone with “potential” at a cheap price, we get impatient with the unknown. Fans are very difficult to please. You can’t get a transfer right all the time.

Mustn’t be too expensive, must be a proven player, mustn’t have competition for his signature, must have potential to become better, must be regularly fit, must bring in at least one of such player every year… that’s the perfect player! How many are there out there? Really hard to please.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3953 
      Reply #1270: Feb 09, 2024 01:35:45 pm
      They love taking a punt it’s the FSG way, sometimes it doesn’t come off.

Businessmen don't "take a punt" the concept is unknown to them.
      Don77

• 6,529 posts | 1083 
      Reply #1271: Feb 09, 2024 04:19:27 pm

And just as a quick follow up to my post ... this club ... a business spent the following:

Keita 52m fee plus 31.2m in wages over his contract and he walked for free.

Thiago 20m fee and 46m in wages over his contract and he will walk for free

Chamberlain 35m fee and 39m in wages over his time here and he walked on a free

So in total ... for zero return basically this club allowed these 3 to leave for free after shelling out a total of around 223 million pounds. So get your heads around that. For a club, a business that operates with a small squad , that's pathetic that they allowed that. All 3 should have been moved on 2 years or more before they left.

So that's me done in this thread. My issue is not with thiago. Never had an issue with chamberlain. Keita is soft ar*e and still is. My issue is with the club that has to go through serious pain it seems and even then in some cases refuses to learn its lesson. A business that tells us it couldn't afford jude Bellingham and in complete and laughable irony refused to give a new deal to 29 year old Gini Wijnaldum , a 50 game a season man who contributed to our major successes under klopp. Yet continued to pay 3 sicknotes who never played and let them walk for nothing ... Pathetic.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,933 posts | 3407 
      Reply #1272: Feb 09, 2024 04:33:58 pm
      And just as a quick follow up to my post ... this club ... a business spent the following:

Keita 52m fee plus 31.2m in wages over his contract and he walked for free.

Thiago 20m fee and 46m in wages over his contract and he will walk for free

Chamberlain 35m fee and 39m in wages over his time here and he walked on a free

So in total ... for zero return basically this club allowed these 3 to leave for free after shelling out a total of around 223 million pounds. So get your heads around that. For a club, a business that operates with a small squad , that's pathetic that they allowed that. All 3 should have been moved on 2 years or more before they left.

So that's me done in this thread. My issue is not with thiago. Never had an issue with chamberlain. Keita is soft ar*e and still is. My issue is with the club that has to go through serious pain it seems and even then in some cases refuses to learn its lesson. A business that tells us it couldn't afford jude Bellingham and in complete and laughable irony refused to give a new deal to 29 year old Gini Wijnaldum , a 50 game a season man who contributed to our major successes under klopp. Yet continued to pay 3 sicknotes who never played and let them walk for nothing ... Pathetic.

The club didn’t get “zero return” from any of the players

And they didn’t refuse to Gini a new deal - he wanted a deal that put him at the top of tree at the club

Again can you tell us which clubs were looking to spend money on the players
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1273: Feb 09, 2024 05:08:58 pm
      Businessmen don't "take a punt" the concept is unknown to them.

Moneyball (FSG) is all about taking a punt.
      It means getting what could be a gem at a cheaper price.
      Unfortunately the other side of that is the Thiago scenario where it hasn't worked out.

In hindsight we all know better.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3953 
      Reply #1274: Feb 09, 2024 05:31:21 pm
      Unfortunately the other side of that is the Thiago scenario where it hasn't worked out.

If you are alluding to the likes of acquiring the likes of LFC at a knock down price and allowing the asset to develop that is a business opportunity acted out.

Surely that particular aspect of player acquisition is beyond the scope of the market players and their associates.
      « Last Edit: Feb 09, 2024 05:45:08 pm by stuey »
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,933 posts | 3407 
      Reply #1275: Feb 09, 2024 05:50:10 pm

Think the last 12 months has clouded the multiple times where he has very very good for us

You only have to look back to the start of the thread to see how much everyone was over the moon about the signing

He was ÂŁ20mil which was a great price for a high quality player but we knew there was chances he would be injured for periods

But until last March there where niggles and he was looked after by the manager but the hip injury he got really has knocked him back

But we have got value out of him and he helped the team bring in trophies
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,933 posts | 3407 
      Reply #1276: Feb 09, 2024 05:50:53 pm
      If you are alluding to the likes of acquiring the likes of LFC at a knock down price and allowing the asset to develop that is a business opportunity acted out.

Surely that particular aspect of player acquisition is beyond the scope of the market players and their associates.

Why am I not surprised you would find a way to be slagging the owners off
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,533 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1277: Feb 09, 2024 06:00:16 pm
      Unlucky thiago, maybe he will get some luck and get over it soon.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,020 posts | 527 
      Reply #1278: Feb 09, 2024 09:05:47 pm
      Can't blame the club for buying him. Class player at a decent price. His injury record wasn't that bad before he came to us.

Obviously injuries have stopped him doing what he might have done here. At the same time, I have to say that his end product when he did play was a bit disappointing for a player of his talent. 2 goals and 4 assists over 51 starts and a good few sub appearances is not exactly dazzling for a creative midfielder.

He was a bit too fond of the chipped pass into the box for me, hardly ever saw him play the incisive pass on the deck. His talent is not in doubt and he did have some good performances but, being honest, I was expecting a bit more from than we what we got. Mainly that is down to injuries, which are not his fault, so wish him well.
      Kurt Cocaine
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 754 posts | 127 
      Reply #1279: Apr 04, 2024 06:06:09 am
      Thiago Alcantara will leave Liverpool. His contract ends this summer and the English team is not considering a renewal at this time. While he recovers from his latest injury, he is exploring options in Arabia or Qatar....

[@relevo

AdiĂłs.....  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts | 154 
      Reply #1280: Apr 04, 2024 08:35:26 am
      Talk about breaking news.

Good riddance.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,267 posts | 760 
      Reply #1281: Apr 04, 2024 10:03:11 am

Good riddance.
      Childish comment.....He was a great asset who has had some serious bad luck with injuries.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #1282: Apr 04, 2024 11:07:49 am
      Childish comment.....He was a great asset who has had some serious bad luck with injuries.

All assets great or poor have a return rate. Poor assets can have great returns and great asset can yield poor returns.

How would you rate his return on this great asset? I don’t have the answer and so I’m seeking yours or anyone’s opinion.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,267 posts | 760 
      Reply #1283: Apr 04, 2024 11:35:14 am
      All assets great or poor have a return rate. Poor assets can have great returns and great asset can yield poor returns.

How would you rate his return on this great asset? I don’t have the answer and so I’m seeking yours or anyone’s opinion.
      I can't see the logic behind your statement that a poor asset can have "Great" returns...that sounds like a contradiction to me.
      An asset by definition is a positive, an investment (A footballer in this case) who fails to yield a positive outcome wouldn't be defined as an asset. My opinion is the player was always an asset, inasmuch as he made a valuable contribution to the success of the team over his (whole) time at the club. A number of people are of the opinion that due to the amount of time he wasn't available, (nothing other than bad luck)....his LFC career is borderline worthless...comments like "Good riddance" being an example. Remember, he didn't plan to be injured and I am in no doubt he would prefer to play for one of the best clubs in the World rather than lie on a physio's bench all year.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,933 posts | 3407 
      Reply #1284: Apr 04, 2024 11:46:22 am

Good riddance.

A comment that sums you up

Superbly talented player who had issues with injuries
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #1285: Apr 04, 2024 11:58:40 am
      I can't see the logic behind your statement that a poor asset can have "Great" returns...that sounds like a contradiction to me.
      An asset by definition is a positive, an investment (A footballer in this case) who fails to yield a positive outcome wouldn't be defined as an asset. My opinion is the player was always an asset, inasmuch as he made a valuable contribution to the success of the team over his (whole) time at the club. A number of people are of the opinion that due to the amount of time he wasn't available, (nothing other than bad luck)....his LFC career is borderline worthless...comments like "Good riddance" being an example. Remember, he didn't plan to be injured and I am in no doubt he would prefer to play for one of the best clubs in the World rather than lie on a physio's bench all year.

I can see where you’re coming from and so I won’t get into the complication and concept of ROA - return on any kind of asset. You’ll probably need some finance, investment or accounting 101 to grasp this matrix.

Any or every asset has a potential to generate a return rate. And to you his is positive and we shall leave it at that.

To some, he has spent too much time on the bench to contribute positively overall and taking up medical resources and money etc. and thus the overall cost to benefit ratio (economics again) wasn’t worth our effort carrying him at the end of the day. Just saying an alternative view some others might have. Not that I hold this view at all. I don’t have an opinion on him.
      Kurt Cocaine
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 754 posts | 127 
      Reply #1286: Apr 04, 2024 11:59:50 am
      A comment that sums you up

Superbly talented player who had issues with injuries
      'issues with injuries"  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Give him a 2 year contract extension then. I'm sure he'll come good (sometime)...
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,267 posts | 760 
      Reply #1287: Apr 04, 2024 12:14:33 pm
      I can see where you’re coming from and so I won’t get into the complication and concept of ROA - return on any kind of asset. You’ll probably need some finance, investment or accounting 101 to grasp this matrix.

Any or every asset has a potential to generate a return rate. And to you his is positive and we shall leave it at that.

To some, he has spent too much time on the bench to contribute positively overall and taking up medical resources and money etc. and thus the overall cost to benefit ratio (economics again) wasn’t worth our effort carrying him at the end of the day. Just saying an alternative view some others might have. Not that I hold this view at all. I don’t have an opinion on him.
      Fair enough.....As you know not everything can be valued solely in economic, mercantile terms, the players financials are of no interest to me...after all an extremely wealthy American Sports franchise pays all the players, not me or you. Everyone is of course free to pass judgement as to his LFC contribution....but I regard comments like Good riddance infantile and mean spirited, and so call them out....(admittedly not from You.)

Quick Reply