Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Thiago Alcantara Player Thread (M)

Read 114661 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: Thiago Alcantara Player Thread
      Reply #437: May 20, 2021 01:37:31 pm
      It's going to be interesting next season with Thiago, Fabinho and Henderson as first choice midfield.

Obviously, there'll be some rotation, but that first choice 3 could be massive for us.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #438: May 21, 2021 07:46:20 am
      Must admit i had previously felt Thiago was a bit of a liability, i felt his fitness which seemed to drop off massively after 70 minutes and lack of mobility was a reall issue for the team. But he has been our best player over this 4-5 game stretch. He has looked so sharp and absolutely everything is running through him. I'm so excited to see what he can bring to a more settled team next season. His passing is an absolute joy to watch and his pressing and anticipation has been spot on recently. I love the way he drops a shoulder as he receives the ball in tight areas, it just buys him that half a yard he needs to get his head up and pick the next pass. We really miss Henderson's power and presence when he is out of the side, i'm really looking forward to watching our midfield next season.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,500 posts | 1759 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #439: May 21, 2021 07:50:35 am
      Yup, its been a joy to watch him the past 2 months, gradually seeing the best of him.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #440: May 21, 2021 10:19:38 am
      He's been instrumental in our unbeaten league run the past 2 months; oozes class on the ball & sometimes reminds me of Iniesta with his quick feet.

Rapidly becoming one of my favourite players in the team and a certainty to start every match, when fit & available.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #441: May 21, 2021 12:49:57 pm
      Pretty sure Fernandinho gives more fouls away by some margin.

The fact that he had to commit so many fouls shows the dysfunctional midfield we have had this season.

Fernandino didnt commit any fouls that did not benefit his team he has become an expert at fouling without getting cards for it.
      rossyred

• 9,242 posts | 1652 
      Reply #442: May 22, 2021 04:03:03 pm
      Fernandino didnt commit any fouls that did not benefit his team he has become an expert at fouling without getting cards for it.

Funny you should say that just watching premier league picked up 3 reds in the season 16/17 but get your drift
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Reply #443: May 24, 2021 10:35:59 pm
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #444: May 25, 2021 06:40:59 am

When I see the long balls, I understand the point of having Thiago.

Hear me out, for me Thiago is an archetypal Guardiola player. Good on the ball, passes a lot, moves in his position and presses more than he defends. It was hard for me to understand why we would need him given that we already had so many CM. In fact, I believe that he was average at best for most of the season given the kind of player he is but for his defense, we were in shambles in a good portion of the season.

Now I remember how important long balls are for our game. It uses the speed of Salah and Mane and helps us to keep pressure. The game which highlights it the most for me is the one against Bayern. They could not handle Van Dijk's passes, and we all remember Mane's goal. Now I get it, Thiago is here to bring that in midfield. Fabinho and Henderson can pass, but Thiago is probably at a superior level and when Van Dijk or Hendo is out, we'll have Thiago now. He'll bring this to the team : long passes.

He is not only that but he sure can do that. I could not figure out why we signed him except that he was a very good player and was available at an extraordinary price but watching this video has enlightened me.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #445: Jun 02, 2021 06:15:33 pm
      Really looking forward to him next season.

Think now that's he's settled in were going to be in for a treat. Especially on the end of season form.

Could we see a Fabinho/Thiago 2 with three ahead more next season?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #446: Jun 05, 2021 03:04:00 pm
      Watched Spain vs. Portugal on demand this morning to see Thiago go up against Diogo. It was a decent match thanks to a couple of tasty challenges in the early going that got the players' backs up, including one by Thiago on Jota!

Looking forward to great things from both of these players in our league-winning campaign of 2021-22.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,353 posts | 1024 
      Reply #447: Jul 06, 2021 10:57:15 pm
      Can’t get a game for Spain, 18 year old Pedri in front of him. Get the feeling Luis Enrique just really doesn’t like him as a player. His body language and mannerisms whenever Thiago does something, even when he scored that (cheeky?) penalty, are quite clear. He misplaced a pass in the final minutes of extra time and Enrique was huffing and puffing, quite visibly frustrated at him.

The guy got 15 minutes tonight and a handful of minutes throughout the tournament, not sure what he expects. He’s certainly got his critics and they are out in force tonight.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #448: Jul 07, 2021 12:54:11 am
      Can’t get a game for Spain, 18 year old Pedri in front of him. Get the feeling Luis Enrique just really doesn’t like him as a player. His body language and mannerisms whenever Thiago does something, even when he scored that (cheeky?) penalty, are quite clear. He misplaced a pass in the final minutes of extra time and Enrique was huffing and puffing, quite visibly frustrated at him.

The guy got 15 minutes tonight and a handful of minutes throughout the tournament, not sure what he expects. He’s certainly got his critics and they are out in force tonight.

I thought this as well earlier in the tournament. Can't quite remember what game but I thought I caught Enrique looking pissed off with our man.

Their loss as he's a glorious footballer and I can't wait to see more of him next season
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,285 posts | 2805 
      Reply #449: Jul 07, 2021 10:24:15 am
      He’s certainly got his critics and they are out in force tonight.

F**k the critics. Obviously Enrique just doesn't fancy him which happens to lots of international players.

He's one of the best midfielders on the planet and he'll show it again in a few weeks time for us.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #450: Jul 07, 2021 11:05:55 am
      What a penalty as well.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,081 posts | 630 
      Reply #451: Jul 07, 2021 09:33:41 pm
      Really struggled when he came on so you might have forgiven him for being nervous about taking a pen, but he was cool as a cucumber... Shows how mentally strong he is.
      rossyred

• 9,242 posts | 1652 
      Reply #452: Aug 07, 2021 11:48:01 am
      Interesting he has been playing with an injury end of last season not sure why he went Euros but hopefully gets sorted has to be a doubt for Norwich
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Reply #453: Aug 10, 2021 11:16:21 pm
      Can’t wait to see this guy in full flow alongside Fabinho.

Then I would interchange between Henderson and Elliott for the 3rd midfielder
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #454: Sep 10, 2021 02:50:50 pm
      CT_LFC

• 6,800 posts | 1399 
      Reply #455: Sep 10, 2021 02:54:57 pm
      Man, every time i see a new post in a player's thread my first reaction is of fear that he got hurt. Luckily it was just another shitty twitter link.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 850 
      Reply #456: Sep 10, 2021 03:45:40 pm
      Man, every time i see a new post in a player's thread my first reaction is of fear that he got hurt. Luckily it was just another shitty twitter link.
      I have PTSD
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6354 
      Reply #457: Sep 10, 2021 03:53:31 pm

Echo should be banned as a source. Pure and utter horseshit anymore. They don't report any actual news.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Reply #458: Sep 10, 2021 04:13:32 pm
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,497 posts | 1644 
      • YNWA
      Reply #459: Sep 12, 2021 07:26:35 pm
      Really good today, into the starting line up, kept things moving in the middle and complemented Fab really well. Keep it up Thiago :)

Quick Reply