Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Thiago Alcantara Player Thread (M)

Read 111621 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Thiago Alcantara Player Thread
      Reply #322: Feb 08, 2021 10:23:59 pm
      For sure. Dumb ass tackles too. However, I think he steps it up a notch in a MF of Hendo and Fab. Wanna see that before I judge him

Absolutely spot on mate, think the exact same thing. Will we get to see it this Season, who F***ing knows?
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Reply #323: Feb 13, 2021 03:59:20 pm
      Starting to be concerned about this fella. He is just a walking liability and not producing the kind of moments we signed him for.

Hate to say but he reminds me of Veron at Man U, in terms of the impact he has had but also could be looked at being a signing a different player for a different style, and was it absolutely necessary?

Hoping he picks up form when Fabinho is back.

If Henderson stays in defence for the next few games, then would like to see a midfield 3 of Fabinho, Thiago and Keita/Jones which would give a very good balance.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #324: Feb 13, 2021 04:10:22 pm
      Think we won't see the best of him till we have Fab and Hendo in there with him, until then don't want to make too much of a judgement.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #325: Feb 13, 2021 04:33:05 pm
      Think we won't see the best of him till we have Fab and Hendo in there with him, until then don't want to make too much of a judgement.

Agree he is not the powerful run all day midfielder like all our other midfielders whose primary role has been to run through and over the opposition.
      Need a change of tactics with him in midfield if we are to see the best of his skill set but we are just playing the way we always have!
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #326: Feb 13, 2021 04:38:37 pm
      Needs to be a bit more disciplined in his tackling. At Bayern the refs probably turned a blind eye. (Jürgen should maybe tell him that the refs over here will only do that if he signed for ManU.)

Most likely is he is trying a bit too hard to impress, and also wants to show Jürgen he can do the gegenpressing etc. Don't think it'll be a long term problem. He's a class player and will be a good signing.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #327: Feb 13, 2021 09:15:11 pm
      Bit too F***ing patient in recent home games!

I'm saying Barca at home.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #328: Feb 14, 2021 07:16:36 am
      I couldn't believe he didn't get a yellow card in his first 5 minutes on the pitch. Amazing !!!

And there was no need to even put that tackle on Barnes!!! He wasn't going anywhere!

So frustrating but, as above, will judge him when he has Hendo and Fab next to him. This can't be the normal way he plays!!
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #329: Feb 14, 2021 04:05:07 pm
      I couldn't believe he didn't get a yellow card in his first 5 minutes on the pitch. Amazing !!!

And there was no need to even put that tackle on Barnes!!! He wasn't going anywhere!

So frustrating but, as above, will judge him when he has Hendo and Fab next to him. This can't be the normal way he plays!!

His defending is truly awful. Gives away a key foul almost every damn game, and is just reckless with his challenges. In a MF 3 of Fab and Hendo he won't be ask to do a whole lot defensively, and I'm sure he will thrive. But atm he's hurting us more than he's helping. Not very adaptable atm
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #330: Feb 15, 2021 02:16:55 am
      His defending is truly awful. Gives away a key foul almost every damn game, and is just reckless with his challenges. In a MF 3 of Fab and Hendo he won't be ask to do a whole lot defensively, and I'm sure he will thrive. But atm he's hurting us more than he's helping. Not very adaptable atm

Spot on mate.

Still waiting for that worldly pass that he puts in on a dime, for one our front 3 to smash into the back of the net!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #331: Feb 15, 2021 09:54:13 am
      Patience!!! The guy has all the skills, give him some time to adjust. If he plays like that in 2021/22 then we have all the right to complain.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #332: Feb 15, 2021 07:25:04 pm
      Jordan Henderson on Thiago at today's presser:

"Thiago has been brilliant since he came to the club. I think everybody knows how good a player he is. He's a world-class player and he's been great to have around. Even off the field, he's a really good person, leads by example, gives everything and you can learn a lot from him. I think he's been a fantastic addition to the squad. He'll probably know Leipzig better than anyone, so I'm sure he'll be telling us one or two things over the next 24 hours to help with that. But he's settled in very well, like I knew he would. He's a phenomenal player and hopefully he can just keep improving each time he plays for us and getting used to the way we play as a team."
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #333: Feb 15, 2021 07:34:04 pm
      Declan Rice said had the ball on  string against him and couldn't get near him think I will listen to him and Hendo about his ability
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #334: Mar 01, 2021 02:18:56 am
      So then.

Guaranteed starter or squad player. Tell me how he keeps Fabinho, Henderson, Jones, Keita, Milner, Wijnaldum, Shaqiri out the team?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #335: Mar 01, 2021 02:46:04 am
      So then.

Guaranteed starter or squad player. Tell me how he keeps Fabinho, Henderson, Jones, Keita, Milner, Wijnaldum, Shaqiri out the team?

If 4 or more of them are injured?

:f_wah:
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #336: Mar 01, 2021 08:00:13 am
      So then.

Depends how you want to play with Henderson and Fab in the team that midfield controls and caresses the ball with Thiago playing forward passes into the front 3.

None of the others can find players with the range of passes he possesses, with all the injuries he is being asked to play to deep to see his full skill set.

Either way why do we need to discuss such nonsense why not accept once all players are fit we have an array of players in midfield to compete with the best opposition.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #337: Mar 01, 2021 11:49:07 am
      Give him the benefit of doubt. We’ve been playing teams who pack their box.

How are you going to find your own player with a killer ball when there is no space to knock the ball into? The ball would just get into the crowd. And if he plays to the side, we’d start doubting his ambitions and risk taking appetite.

Either way, he gets ruffled by us. It’s not as if he constantly loses the ball.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #338: Mar 01, 2021 11:58:20 am
      Give him the benefit of doubt. We’ve been playing teams who pack their box.

In fairness I thought that wss the reason we signed him, to unlock those banks of 10 with his passing.

Its hard to judge him with how things have worked out including his own injury. But I dont think he even has 1 assist yet?
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #339: Mar 01, 2021 12:03:02 pm
      In fairness I thought that wss the reason we signed him, to unlock those banks of 10 with his passing.

Its hard to judge him with how things have worked out including his own injury. But I dont think he even has 1 assist yet?

I think his style is more suited to spaces and not the entire team behind the ball. Otherwise we would have seen some positive results. The first match he played in was quite open, and he was effective.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #340: Mar 01, 2021 12:51:51 pm

bit hard to pass to someone when no one is making a run though.

He gives away to many stupid fouls but I can see progress from him, remember that he's still adjusting to the league.

His passing and in game intelligence is fantastic and I have no doubt he'll become a key player for us.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #341: Mar 01, 2021 02:26:41 pm

Same here. The pass to Mane for the 2nd goal against Everton that was disallowed is precisely why i thought he was brought in (primarily). He completely beat the parked bus with that ball.

Next season he will be much better with proper pre-season and a fit squad again and not always trying to put out fires.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #342: Mar 01, 2021 02:58:20 pm
      Thought he was excellent last night after a couple of poorer performances recently.
      Jurgenabelieveus
      • Banned

• 48 posts | 11 
      Reply #343: Mar 01, 2021 03:47:21 pm
      Thought he was excellent last night after a couple of poorer performances recently.

Yeah I’d agree there, I think he’s a wonderful footballer, a player who will add the cream to the top of your overall play, he sees things others don’t, never takes unnecessary touches, wins a surprising amount in the air and will in time only add to us as a team

Not surprising really that with the whole team struggling of late, the lack of confident movement in front of him added to the fact he missed three months on the back of a horror challenge that he’s not hit the ground running

I do believe that even he has been surprised by the pace of the game over here though and that has added to his slow ish start to his Liverpool career. The manager has recently started playing him higher up in the midfield because he’s certainly never been used to being turned around so much and having players run off of his shoulder at Bayern or Barca.
      He could play the six here once Virgil and Joe are back at CB as they have that added pace to cover him

But yes far better last night and he will only improve once we have players back
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #344: Mar 01, 2021 08:48:38 pm
      Other than the pass he gave Henderson in the game against Everton he has hardly set the world alight, but till we have a fully fit team i suppose that you can't judge him

Quick Reply