Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Thiago Alcantara Player Thread (M)

Read 111689 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Re: Thiago Alcantara Player Thread
      Reply #345: Mar 04, 2021 08:18:02 am
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #346: Mar 05, 2021 01:35:10 am
      I hate to say it but the correlation is undeniable. Since he’s come into the Team, we haven’t played very well at all.

Not saying it’s his fault, it’s just we haven’t looked like ourselves since he’s been in that midfield. Give him a rest and get Keita in there, now he’s back fit!
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #347: Mar 05, 2021 05:12:34 am
      I just watch him, and wonder. Wonder what pass he's gonna pull off next. Wonder if he's gonna throw in a rash tackle. Wonder if he fits this system. Wonder how good he could look with Fab and Hendo. Wonder why Klopp doesn't utilize him a little more. Wonder if it was smart to spend 30 mil on him at this stage of his career.

The man's a conundrum for me.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #348: Mar 07, 2021 10:57:18 am
      Quote from AussieRed
      I hate to say it but the correlation is undeniable. Since he’s come into the Team, we haven’t played very well at all.

Not saying it’s his fault, it’s just we haven’t looked like ourselves since he’s been in that midfield. Give him a rest and get Keita in there, now he’s back fit!

What has Keita ever done in 3 years, apart from find new and more inventive ways to be injured?

Thiago has won everything there is to win. Apart from win at Anfield. Home or away.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #349: Mar 07, 2021 12:09:46 pm
      Got sent a clip from the Chelsea game, which surprised me.

Chelsea on the attack, we won the ball back in or just outside our box, 5 chelsea players in our box out of the game. Trent carries the ball forward, passes off to Thiago. 2 players make great forward runs in space with another already further forward. If Thiago plays the ball for either were in a 3 v 3 with space in front of us.

Thiago takes the ball out towsrds the sideline then turns back and kills the momentum, by the time he lays off a sideways pasd Chelsea are back in position.

It surprised me to see it
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,094 posts | 1634 
      Reply #350: Mar 07, 2021 12:39:27 pm
      Got sent a clip from the Chelsea game, which surprised me.

Chelsea on the attack, we won the ball back in or just outside our box, 5 chelsea players in our box out of the game. Trent carries the ball forward, passes off to Thiago. 2 players make great forward runs in space with another already further forward. If Thiago plays the ball for either were in a 3 v 3 with space in front of us.

Thiago takes the ball out towsrds the sideline then turns back and kills the momentum, by the time he lays off a sideways pasd Chelsea are back in position.

It surprised me to see it

Sure if you look hard enough and scrutinise every game you will find something but the facts are he plays more forward passes 10,15 ,20 yards than anyone in our team and also the most recoveries of any player . Love to see Gini and Jones stats in regards to side or backward passes which will be hugely more than Thiago again people just looking for an agenda
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #351: Mar 07, 2021 12:44:55 pm
      Sure if you look hard enough and scrutinise every game you will find something but the facts are he plays more forward passes 10,15 ,20 yards than anyone in our team and also the most recoveries of any player . Love to see Gini and Jones stats in regards to side or backward passes which will be hugely more than Thiago again people just looking for an agenda

The point is thats meant to be his main weapon. Its not only him, were far too slow these days in break and build up but to see what Thiago is capable off and then see this clip is baffling.

Were quick to jump on the front 3 not scoring or playing well etc but are they getting the service?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #352: Mar 07, 2021 06:22:28 pm
      The point is thats meant to be his main weapon. Its not only him, were far too slow these days in break and build up but to see what Thiago is capable off and then see this clip is baffling.

Were quick to jump on the front 3 not scoring or playing well etc but are they getting the service?

A player who hasn't even played half a season for us yet, we're quick to jump on the front 3 because they've been there longer than five minutes.
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1634 
      Reply #353: Mar 07, 2021 06:31:15 pm

There are no spaces to fire balls behind or through he gets the ball quicker into feet than anyone when they don't do anything with it then that's another issue . Teams don't set up high very difficult to find these open spaces not saying he has lit the world up but he certainly moves the ball more quicker and forward more than any other midfielder
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #354: Mar 07, 2021 10:58:14 pm
      What has Keita ever done in 3 years, apart from find new and more inventive ways to be injured?

Thiago has won everything there is to win. Apart from win at Anfield. Home or away.

Don't care what Thiago has done in the past, wasn't with us so means nothing to me.

Agree with Keita being always injured and thought he was gonna walk off injured again today, but at least he runs at defenders, tries to get to the box....we have to try something, F***ing anything!!!

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #355: Mar 09, 2021 11:52:22 pm
      Quote from AussieRed
      Don't care what Thiago has done in the past, wasn't with us so means nothing to me.

Agree with Keita being always injured and thought he was gonna walk off injured again today, but at least he runs at defenders, tries to get to the box....we have to try something, F***ing anything!!!

Keita has done nothing in 3 years. Our recruitment has been spot on in recent years, but not in his case. Possibly the worst of all the megabucks signings we've made. The sooner we can get rid of him, we'll be able to afford a quality replacement who is able for this team and this league.

We signed Thiago because he's world class, armed with his own trophy cabinet. He wasn't bought for his potential, or to be played out of position. Once he is playing with a full strength squad in front and behind him, he'll show why he's one of the best in the world again.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #356: Mar 10, 2021 09:08:37 am
      Thiago was very good in those few games before he was injured, when he came back into the team was when the team started to lose confidence and belief, not that I'm suggesting that was his fault, and I think that affected him as it would any new player.

We somehow have to find a reset button, play a few games ultra defensive just to grind out some draws or scrappy wins and build our confidence back up again.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #357: Mar 10, 2021 02:49:20 pm
      I have been very disappointed with him thus far. My observations are:

- He tires massively after 60 minutes and is a passenger late in games
      - He has lost a step which causes him to try and dribble past players when he doesn't quite have the pace to do so, and defensively he isn't particularly mobile which causes him to give away silly fouls and pick up bookings
      - He has a fantastic range of passing but he takes too many touches, it takes us forever to get from back to front
      - He would be at his best with 2 middies who can do his running for him BUT he has played alongside Hendo/Gini on numerous occasions this season

But having said all that, given we have no Hendo or Fab, he would still be in the side ahead of Keita for me and we hopefully will see the best of him next season (and with a bit of luck in the next couple of months). There's no doubt he is a talent.
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1634 
      Reply #358: Mar 10, 2021 03:11:15 pm
      I have been very disappointed with him thus far. My observations are:

- He tires massively after 60 minutes and is a passenger late in games
      - He has lost a step which causes him to try and dribble past players when he doesn't quite have the pace to do so, and defensively he isn't particularly mobile which causes him to give away silly fouls and pick up bookings
      - He has a fantastic range of passing but he takes too many touches, it takes us forever to get from back to front
      - He would be at his best with 2 middies who can do his running for him BUT he has played alongside Hendo/Gini on numerous occasions this season

But having said all that, given we have no Hendo or Fab, he would still be in the side ahead of Keita for me and we hopefully will see the best of him next season (and with a bit of luck in the next couple of months). There's no doubt he is a talent.

If you think he takes too many touches to get it up to the front I beggar to believe what you think of Jones and Wijnaldum
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #359: Mar 10, 2021 03:46:38 pm
      If you think he takes too many touches to get it up to the front I beggar to believe what you think of Jones and Wijnaldum

;D, good point although Jones can actually be very dynamic going forward when Klopp takes the shackles off him.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #360: Mar 10, 2021 04:26:03 pm

It's a good point re young Jones, but a little tough on Gini in my opinion. I think he is having a good season for the most part and has been one of the few players to break lines from midfield at times. I really hoped Ox might find some form and push himself back into the first team reckoning but he has looked well short in games when he has played and i can only assume he isn't really doing it in training either. 
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #361: Mar 10, 2021 06:19:41 pm
      It's a good point re young Jones, but a little tough on Gini in my opinion. I think he is having a good season for the most part and has been one of the few players to break lines from midfield at times. I really hoped Ox might find some form and push himself back into the first team reckoning but he has looked well short in games when he has played and i can only assume he isn't really doing it in training either. 

Gini has been breaking lines from midfield really.........he has got a nose bleed as soon as he approached the opposition box.

He has zero assists this season, in fact I can’t remember the last time he got an assist. Just looked it up it was 3 seasons ago!

No one has played well this season apart from maybe Hendo and Robbo, Jota before his injury.

Gini has been consistent in that he hasn’t been injured so has been available thats all.

rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1634 
      Reply #362: Mar 10, 2021 06:20:03 pm

Just seems to have lost his identity the Ox not really sure what his role is when he plays anymore
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #363: Mar 10, 2021 10:08:19 pm
      Get a proper DM behind him and you get to see the best of him 😁
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #364: Mar 10, 2021 10:17:20 pm

Yup, Fabinho &
      Him are going be deadly remaking PL games..
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #365: Mar 10, 2021 10:17:26 pm

Came here to say the exact same thing.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #366: Mar 16, 2021 03:04:41 am
      Thiago the Butcher. For everything hebcan be with the ball, he's the opposite without it. Reckless as hell on tackles. Jury's still out for me with him.

I love the idea of Thiago. I love Thiago here 3 years ago. But, I dunno man. The prem is a son of a bi*ch for European players, especially with Rolls-Royce style guys like him. Might be a few years to late and a lil too physical for him at this point.

If he wasn't as talented with the ball and Klopp wasn't as good a manager I'd write him off, but next season will be telling for him
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #367: Mar 16, 2021 03:06:15 am
      Loved his game tonight. Did a lot of dirty work and disrupted their midfield. He was an energizer bunny too. Too bad he got that yellow so early though.

Quick Reply