Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Thiago Alcantara Player Thread (M)

Read 111630 times
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Re: Thiago Alcantara Player Thread
      Reply #368: Mar 16, 2021 07:50:46 am
      Average but not below-par. When our team will be back full strength, he will flourish but for sure not as a defensive midfielder.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #369: Mar 16, 2021 12:28:39 pm
      I thought last night was one of his worst games, constantly getting caught on the ball, misplaced passes, reckless tackles. I was very relieved to see him subbed.

I still think he will become a very important player for us but he needs more time to get used to the Prem.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #370: Mar 16, 2021 01:36:16 pm
      Thiago the Butcher. For everything hebcan be with the ball, he's the opposite without it. Reckless as hell on tackles. Jury's still out for me with him.

I love the idea of Thiago. I love Thiago here 3 years ago. But, I dunno man. The prem is a son of a bi*ch for European players, especially with Rolls-Royce style guys like him. Might be a few years to late and a lil too physical for him at this point.

I like that bit of nark in him, he's deffo not the show pony type, I even loved him telling the ref to F**k off!!
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #371: Mar 16, 2021 04:14:08 pm
      He will get sent off got to stop the crazy tackles, seems to get booked every game, still not sure what we're getting to what we all thought he would be
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #372: Mar 16, 2021 05:24:44 pm
      How many yellows is he on now? Isn’t it a ban after 5?
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,264 posts | 796 
      Reply #373: Mar 16, 2021 05:29:47 pm
      How many yellows is he on now? Isn’t it a ban after 5?

Not from January onwards. Its 10
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #374: Mar 16, 2021 05:34:18 pm
      Ah fair enough! Should only take him a few more games then 😂
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #375: Mar 16, 2021 05:53:09 pm
      I like that bit of nark in him, he's deffo not the show pony type, I even loved him telling the ref to f**k off!!

excatly. the lads a winner, wants the ball back, sometimes fouls in the process. Hes been much better with Fab sitting behind him.

can only see him getting better and better for us rest of season.
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #376: Mar 16, 2021 10:14:14 pm
      Carra seems very skeptical about him though in his latest podcast. Just saying....
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #377: Mar 16, 2021 11:06:14 pm
      Can't believe he waited till the 2nd half to get the yellow!

Been better last two games but still needs to cut out those shithouse fouls that puts us in danger every single time.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #378: Mar 17, 2021 09:09:18 am
      Carra seems very skeptical about him though in his latest podcast. Just saying....

Doesn't mean too much as Carra talks nonsense most of the time anyway.

Thiago has had Covid, been injured and never played in a settled midfield that allows him to play his game.

With Fabinho now back in midfield I expect we'll see the real Thiago now.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #379: Mar 17, 2021 09:15:24 am
      I like that bit of nark in him, he's deffo not the show pony type, I even loved him telling the ref to f**k off!!

Really, I don't like to see any players talking back to the Ref, it should be cut out of the game, same as diving, as its a terrible example for kids.

It staggers me why Refs still allow players to talk back to them in football, it does not happen in any other sport I can think of.  Immediate yellow for any backchat, any follow up then a Red card, you'd cut it out instantly and that would permeate downwards so that lower leagues.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #380: Mar 17, 2021 02:45:35 pm

I remember a lot of fans being skeptical about Carra circa 2000/2001
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #381: Mar 17, 2021 02:47:18 pm
      Really, I don't like to see any players talking back to the Ref, it should be cut out of the game, same as diving, as its a terrible example for kids.

It staggers me why Refs still allow players to talk back to them in football, it does not happen in any other sport I can think of.  Immediate yellow for any backchat, any follow up then a Red card, you'd cut it out instantly and that would permeate downwards so that lower leagues.

F**k the nicety sh*te. And refs deserve all the abuse they get half the time.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #382: Mar 17, 2021 02:54:52 pm
      Doesn't mean too much as Carra talks nonsense most of the time anyway.

Thiago has had Covid, been injured and never played in a settled midfield that allows him to play his game.

With Fabinho now back in midfield I expect we'll see the real Thiago now.

I actually thought he had a good game bar the yellow that made him a bit tentative. He severely disrupted their play and form what I could tell, he pressed much more than most everyone else bar Fab.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #383: Mar 24, 2021 08:50:24 pm
      Quote from AussieRed
      Can't believe he waited till the 2nd half to get the yellow!

Been better last two games but still needs to cut out those shithouse fouls that puts us in danger every single time.

What danger? Let us know of one goal that resulted from any of his fouls?

He got his card before half time but he's doing what Jürgen wants him to do. Press, make challenges, win the ball back, recycle it, create chances. Occasionally he times it wrong and gets a card, but he's still world class and would walk into any team in the world. Thankfully he is walking into ours.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #384: Mar 24, 2021 09:38:33 pm
      F**k the nicety sh*te. And refs deserve all the abuse they get half the time.

OK so why should Refs be nice then, slightest backchat red card, perhaps they should tell players to go F**k themselves etc. You see how your system doesn't really work!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #385: Mar 24, 2021 11:10:26 pm
      OK so why should Refs be nice then, slightest backchat red card, perhaps they should tell players to go F**k themselves etc. You see how your system doesn't really work!

Who mentioned refs being nice? I never!!

And what the F**k are you on about "your system doesn't work?"

F***ing baffling at times!!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #386: Mar 25, 2021 10:54:30 pm
      What danger? Let us know of one goal that resulted from any of his fouls?

He got his card before half time but he's doing what Jürgen wants him to do. Press, make challenges, win the ball back, recycle it, create chances. Occasionally he times it wrong and gets a card, but he's still world class and would walk into any team in the world. Thankfully he is walking into ours.

I don't know what you watch sometimes fella. Any time we have to defend a set piece we are in danger with our backline!

I sh*t myself everytime.

That's the danger!!!! Stop being a w**ker just because you are one and have a keyboard!!!

PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #387: Mar 26, 2021 12:56:11 pm
      Concerning the yellow cards, I think a lot of people just got the wrong idea about the merchandise we got when we moved for Thiago. Some people seem to think that he is some kind of destroyer CDM who also happen to posses Pirlo-esque passing abilities. This is simply not true.

Thiago is super good at pressing, cutting passing lanes and breaking up the opposition's build-up (this is what the report card said from his time at Bayern). However, what a lot of people forget is to analyze who he was playing with in that Bayern midfield and if we have been able to offer him anything similar. Also, some people understand ''good at pressing and breaking up opposition's build-up'' as we bought another Fabinho.

Defensively, Thiago does most of his job with his pressing and predictions of where the play is headed next and arriving there quickly to dispossess the carrier or simply intercept. This simply won't happen if you throw him alongside Gini and Curtis. Go watch some of his highlights with Munich and you'll understand what I mean. He's always paired up with somebody much better defensively and who will do most of the defensive work in midfield regardless of if Bayern played a 3 or a 2 men midfield. Most of the time it was Kimmich or Goretzka or both. This makes a huge difference in the ground Thiago has to cover and the type of interventions he has to make. Most people underestimate by a long shot the influence a good CDM (from the destroyer POV) has on a game.

Now look at our season. First 3 or 4 games Thiago is given a similar role to the one he played most of his career and is paired with Fabinho (top 3 CDMs in the world IMO) and either Hendo or Gini. Result? Everybody was raving about him and he was fantastic both offensively and defensively. Fast forward to the end of January when he comes back from his injury and Fabinho is stuck at CB, Hendo is out with injuries and then also stuck at CB and he is suddenly asked (out of desperation and lack of options) to be the last man in midfield because neither Gini or Curtis can do it. In those circumstances the pile-up of yellow cards is logical just as is the lack of creativity.

Also, some people seem to think we have like 4 CDMs in that team. The only two players that can qualify as CDMs, in my opinion, are Fabinho and Henderson (can play the role for an extended period of time if Fabinho is out). Gini, Curtis, Milner, Keita and Thiago are all not CDMs. Some of those guys can be dropped into that hole for a half or so depending on the game and what you need from it but they are not CDMs and will get exposed if you drop them in there thinking they will to the leg work and defensive work Fabinho does.

LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #388: Mar 26, 2021 01:22:18 pm
      Concerning the yellow cards, I think a lot of people just got the wrong idea about the merchandise we got when we moved for Thiago. Some people seem to think that he is some kind of destroyer CDM who also happen to posses Pirlo-esque passing abilities. This is simply not true.

Thiago is super good at pressing, cutting passing lanes and breaking up the opposition's build-up (this is what the report card said from his time at Bayern). However, what a lot of people forget is to analyze who he was playing with in that Bayern midfield and if we have been able to offer him anything similar. Also, some people understand ''good at pressing and breaking up opposition's build-up'' as we bought another Fabinho.

Defensively, Thiago does most of his job with his pressing and predictions of where the play is headed next and arriving there quickly to dispossess the carrier or simply intercept. This simply won't happen if you throw him alongside Gini and Curtis. Go watch some of his highlights with Munich and you'll understand what I mean. He's always paired up with somebody much better defensively and who will do most of the defensive work in midfield regardless of if Bayern played a 3 or a 2 men midfield. Most of the time it was Kimmich or Goretzka or both. This makes a huge difference in the ground Thiago has to cover and the type of interventions he has to make. Most people underestimate by a long shot the influence a good CDM (from the destroyer POV) has on a game.

Now look at our season. First 3 or 4 games Thiago is given a similar role to the one he played most of his career and is paired with Fabinho (top 3 CDMs in the world IMO) and either Hendo or Gini. Result? Everybody was raving about him and he was fantastic both offensively and defensively. Fast forward to the end of January when he comes back from his injury and Fabinho is stuck at CB, Hendo is out with injuries and then also stuck at CB and he is suddenly asked (out of desperation and lack of options) to be the last man in midfield because neither Gini or Curtis can do it. In those circumstances the pile-up of yellow cards is logical just as is the lack of creativity.

Also, some people seem to think we have like 4 CDMs in that team. The only two players that can qualify as CDMs, in my opinion, are Fabinho and Henderson (can play the role for an extended period of time if Fabinho is out). Gini, Curtis, Milner, Keita and Thiago are all not CDMs. Some of those guys can be dropped into that hole for a half or so depending on the game and what you need from it but they are not CDMs and will get exposed if you drop them in there thinking they will to the leg work and defensive work Fabinho does.

It’s a shame because I remember Wijnaldum having two great CDM games and I thought we were on, but it didn’t last long.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #389: Mar 26, 2021 02:35:55 pm
      Who mentioned refs being nice? I never!!

And what the f**k are you on about "your system doesn't work?"

F***ing baffling at times!!

Why should players be allowed to talk back to Refs, it sets a terrible example for kids. It does not happen in any other sport.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #390: Mar 26, 2021 02:48:16 pm
      Why should players be allowed to talk back to Refs, it sets a terrible example for kids. It does not happen in any other sport.

Not sure if you're kidding or not, honestly.

They're called umpires and not refs, but in MLB it gets nasty.

Quick Reply