Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Thiago Alcantara Player Thread (M)

Read 111622 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Thiago Alcantara Player Thread (M)
      Reply #851: Apr 12, 2023 01:22:19 pm
      Just a real pity he seems so injury prone.

clearly a class player really top rate but age and injuries means we will never see him at his very best.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #852: Apr 12, 2023 06:53:42 pm
      clearly a class player really top rate but age and injuries means we will never see him at his very best.
      He would be a mother f**ker if he wasn't surrounded by aging MFs. Give him two pressing style MFers like Gini  to play next to and he would be unstoppable. Sadly, based on limited personel it seems we never got to see him at his best here.

World class passer and does it effortlessly
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #853: Apr 12, 2023 06:58:56 pm
      Before he arrived he had 26 different injuries totally around 133 missed games

Since arriving he has had 8 injuries ( 2 were Covid ) totally 61 games out

The guy is so skilful and a wonderful talent but it’s hard to think of a player with that many games missed over the same period
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #854: Apr 12, 2023 07:36:17 pm
      Before he arrived he had 26 different injuries totally around 133 missed games

Since arriving he has had 8 injuries ( 2 were Covid ) totally 61 games out

The guy is so skilful and a wonderful talent but it’s hard to think of a player with that many games missed over the same period
      Haven't checked, but sadly enough, I instinctively thought of Naby.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #855: Apr 12, 2023 07:41:14 pm
      Haven't checked, but sadly enough, I instinctively thought of Naby.

Yeah - before he arrived he had 6 injuries ( obviously younger ) and missed 20
      Games

But since arriving around 90 games missed around 20 injuries

PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #856: Apr 12, 2023 07:51:27 pm
      Yeah - before he arrived he had 6 injuries ( obviously younger ) and missed 20
      Games

But since arriving around 90 games missed around 20 injuries
      Yup, that's what baffles me with Keita. Its since he arrived here that something drastically changed and he started getting those injuries. I'm not sure if this is something that just happens or maybe some players + some type of training or weather = much more injuries.

I also wonder if those things are predictable from the buying club's point of view because as far as my knowledge goes, its hard to pin this fiasco on anybody (not that we have to pin it on anybody) considering the lad had everything to make the team better and was not showing any signs being injury prone.

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #857: Apr 12, 2023 07:55:22 pm
      Yup, that's what baffles me with Keita. Its since he arrived here that something drastically changed and he started getting those injuries. I'm not sure if this is something that just happens or maybe some players + some type of training or weather = much more injuries.

I also wonder if those things are predictable from the buying club's point of view because as far as my knowledge goes, its hard to pin this fiasco on anybody (not that we have to pin it on anybody) considering the lad had everything to make the team better and was not showing any signs being injury prone.

Think it’s a combination of a few things

The pace of the game in the Prem

The amount id games

The tactics and intensity of the tactics

And also Naby being one of those players who will declare himself injured on the back of any niggle
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #858: Apr 13, 2023 01:19:49 am
      Think it’s a combination of a few things

The pace of the game in the Prem

The amount id games

The tactics and intensity of the tactics

And also Naby being one of those players who will declare himself injured on the back of any niggle
      All are valid reasons, but to me, that last one is a big one. There are some dudes who always play and just have that dog in them, there are those who don't have that, and then there are guys who seem to need their bodies in peak performance and can't play through any pain. We know which one Naby is.

All the other reasons are why I'm so leary of getting guys who haven't proven they're prem ready.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Crunchycrisps
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 396 posts | 85 
      Reply #860: Apr 18, 2023 01:12:44 am
      Only comparable player we have to Thiago for distribution and not giving a f in terms of I want the ball to go there and it's going to happen is Trent, glad Thiago is back keep fit for the rest of next season please.
      Thiago did a pass today forward never back and I went aw man sweet, if only we had him for years before we got him, it would have been a joy but maybe he might have been injured loads so yeah who knows, what a classy player and a nutter ;D, he's calmed down a bit now I think.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #861: May 02, 2023 01:23:11 pm
      What's the deal? Love this guy, but he's made of glass
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #862: May 02, 2023 11:52:39 pm
      Nevermind, I found it  :-[
      Out the rest of the season after undergoing hip surgery.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #863: May 03, 2023 12:05:10 am
      What's the deal? Love this guy, but he's made of glass

By the sounds of it he has been carrying it for a while.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #864: May 28, 2023 01:53:01 pm
      I'm curious about people's opinion on Thiago. Considering he misses a lot of games and considering he is on his last year of contract, if we were to receive an offer between 10m and 20m for him this summer would you let him go?

I personally am of the opinion that its hard to get anyone who gives us what Thiago offers when fit, in form and the team around his running well. I was one of the most excited people on this forum when we signed him and have loved watching him play every time he set foot on the grass for us. With that said, its getting to the point where we see him for 6 or 7 games then he's out for 10 and the cycle restarts and so I'm asking myself questions about the overall usefulness of having him in the squad vs. the money we could get from selling him + reinvesting that towards another transfer.

On the other hand, with Milner out and the bulk of our midfield being young players (we still don't know who we are buying in the summer) an argument could be made about experience and mentoring the younger ones with only Hendo and Fabinho left to do so.

I'm not sure with this one, it's hard to for me to have an opinion set in stone over Thiago. I feel like valid arguments can be made from one side and the other and it will be interesting to see what happens. Until very recently, it was very uncharacteristic of our ownership to let players go without cashing in on them (Origi and Milner come to mind), but I also don't see us extending him next year, at this rate.
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 790 posts | 273 
      Reply #865: May 28, 2023 02:10:50 pm
      I'm curious about people's opinion on Thiago. Considering he misses a lot of games and considering he is on his last year of contract, if we were to receive an offer between 10m and 20m for him this summer would you let him go?

I personally am of the opinion that its hard to get anyone who gives us what Thiago offers when fit, in form and the team around his running well. I was one of the most excited people on this forum when we signed him and have loved watching him play every time he set foot on the grass for us. With that said, its getting to the point where we see him for 6 or 7 games then he's out for 10 and the cycle restarts and so I'm asking myself questions about the overall usefulness of having him in the squad vs. the money we could get from selling him + reinvesting that towards another transfer.

On the other hand, with Milner out and the bulk of our midfield being young players (we still don't know who we are buying in the summer) an argument could be made about experience and mentoring the younger ones with only Hendo and Fabinho left to do so.

I'm not sure with this one, it's hard to for me to have an opinion set in stone over Thiago. I feel like valid arguments can be made from one side and the other and it will be interesting to see what happens. Until very recently, it was very uncharacteristic of our ownership to let players go without cashing in on them (Origi and Milner come to mind), but I also don't see us extending him next year, at this rate.

Trent's new role is a good alternative to Thiago. He's very good at moving the ball around the pitch with medium and long range passing, similar to Thiago.
      I'd be surprised if anyone put in a decent bid for Thiago. Terrible injury record, old and big wages. Most clubs would wait until his contract expires.

I think we should keep him and only play him in the league matches to try to keep him fit.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #866: May 28, 2023 02:16:18 pm
      Thiago is a luxury player who is injured most of the time.

In a game that suits him and circumstances that suit him he's good ... but those instances are few and far between. If someone offered us 20m I'd bite their hand off.

We don't have the biggest squad. The likes of Jones, thiago, chamberlain and keita, matip and gomez take up 6 spots. Most of them are hardly ever available and most arnt good enough and/or moving on.

We need players like salah, wijnaldum who can stay fit. A small squad is OK ... but you can't afford passengers. We are carrying too many passengers and in my opinion thiago is one of them.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #867: May 28, 2023 02:19:01 pm
      Trent's new role is a good alternative to Thiago. He's very good at moving the ball around the pitch with medium and long range passing, similar to Thiago.
      I'd be surprised if anyone put in a decent bid for Thiago. Terrible injury record, old and big wages. Most clubs would wait until his contract expires.

I think we should keep him and only play him in the league matches to try to keep him fit.
      Italian football knows how to take advantage of such players. They seem to know how to make the most out of a 30yo+ player and the slower rhythm of football seems to help with injury records.  I could see him fit into a Milan or Inter team. With that said, I'm leaning towards the same position you're taking. Keep him, play him in league games or champions league ones, use him for rotation ,etc. Its also nice to have him around the younger players like Bajcetic, Jones, Elliott, etc.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #868: May 28, 2023 02:20:18 pm
      Thiago is a luxury player who is injured most of the time.

In a game that suits him and circumstances that suit him he's good ... but those instances are few and far between. If someone offered us 20m I'd bite their hand off.

We don't have the biggest squad. The likes of Jones, thiago, chamberlain and keita, matip and gomez take up 6 spots. Most of them are hardly ever available and most arnt good enough and/or moving on.

We need players like salah, wijnaldum who can stay fit. A small squad is OK ... but you can't afford passengers. We are carrying too many passengers and in my opinion thiago is one of them.
      Those are also good arguments. I'm really on the fence with Thiago. I think every post I'll read, I will agree with it to a certain extent.
      Don77

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #869: May 28, 2023 02:26:52 pm
      Those are also good arguments. I'm really on the fence with Thiago. I think every post I'll read, I will agree with it to a certain extent.

The 6 I named are just 6. You can add ramsay, konate, fabinho, Jota, Nunez  Diaz and to an extent van dijk to that list. Jota , and Diaz are very good players but injury prone. Van dijk and fabinho look finished to me. Id go for rice and offer them fabinho as part of the deal. We need a right back and 2 CBs for me if trent coming into midfield. Konate is young and strong but can't play consecutive Saturdays never mind 3 in a week. He's totally unreliable. Gomez is neither good enough or reliable. Matip is a good player ... but can break down at any moment.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #870: May 28, 2023 03:57:02 pm
      One of those players who is vastly overrated by our own fans and the media just because he's good on the eye the way he plays the game. And he's played for Barca and Bayern so must be world class by default.

He's a classy-looking player but very rarely hurts the opposition. 3 goals and 6 assists in nearly a 100 games is a F***ing terrible return for a central midfielder playing for Liverpool. November '21 was his last goal and he's had just one assist this season, in the FA Cup against Wolves. For me, we're a lot better when he isn't in the team. The 7-0 win over Palace in 2020, 5-0 at Old Trafford last year and the 7-0 twatting at Anfield against them as well as the 9-0 win over Bournemouth were all without him. He didn't start the 7-1 win over Rangers or the 6-1 win over Leeds either, though did come on in both.

He's too slow for the way we want to play as well. While our midfielders have never been the quickest under Klopp, they do at least have the energy to get around the pitch, Thiago doesn't.

If any offer comes in we should take it or at the very least let him go next summer when his contract is up.
      Don77

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #871: May 28, 2023 04:46:47 pm
      One of those players who is vastly overrated by our own fans and the media just because he's good on the eye the way he plays the game. And he's played for Barca and Bayern so must be world class by default.

He's a classy-looking player but very rarely hurts the opposition. 3 goals and 6 assists in nearly a 100 games is a f**king terrible return for a central midfielder playing for Liverpool. November '21 was his last goal and he's had just one assist this season, in the FA Cup against Wolves. For me, we're a lot better when he isn't in the team. The 7-0 win over Palace in 2020, 5-0 at Old Trafford last year and the 7-0 twatting at Anfield against them as well as the 9-0 win over Bournemouth were all without him. He didn't start the 7-1 win over Rangers or the 6-1 win over Leeds either, though did come on in both.

He's too slow for the way we want to play as well. While our midfielders have never been the quickest under Klopp, they do at least have the energy to get around the pitch, Thiago doesn't.

If any offer comes in we should take it or at the very least let him go next summer when his contract is up.

Agree.

Take any offer or see if we can p/x him for a quality midfielder. Another asset we can't just let walk for free. It's f*cking negligence.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #872: May 28, 2023 05:21:14 pm
      If any decent offer came in I'd take it. Got players like Bajcetic coming through who could use those rare minutes that Thiago takes when he becomes fit. Great player but we need reliability, and he'd only leave for a free next year anyways after playing a handful of games... get £10mil+ in now I say.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,971 posts | 2051 
      Reply #873: May 28, 2023 05:33:38 pm

He's a classy-looking player but very rarely hurts the opposition. 3 goals and 6 assists in nearly a 100 games is a f**king terrible return for a central midfielder playing for Liverpool. November '21 was his last goal and he's had just one assist this season, in the FA Cup against Wolves. For me, we're a lot better when he isn't in the team. The 7-0 win over Palace in 2020, 5-0 at Old Trafford last year and the 7-0 twatting at Anfield against them as well as the 9-0 win over Bournemouth were all without him. He didn't start the 7-1 win over Rangers or the 6-1 win over Leeds either, though did come on in both.

I agree. The passivity of our midfield with him in it is so stark it's no reason we would often find ourselves 1-0 down just minutes into the game. Can bypass him as easy as a solitary tree in a desert. 

It really has been a shocking display of midfield inadequacy this season and along with it exposing the defence with it. It's remarkable that we've even got 5th given how poor we've been.

Quick Reply