Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Thiago Alcantara Player Thread (M)

Read 114851 times
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Re: Thiago Alcantara Player Thread (M)
      Reply #874: Jun 03, 2023 06:11:51 pm
      I'm curious about people's opinion on Thiago. Considering he misses a lot of games and considering he is on his last year of contract, if we were to receive an offer between 10m and 20m for him this summer would you let him go?

For such a small fee I think more beneficial to have him around the squad playing rotational role and mentoring the younger players. I agree with the people mention that is can be overrated because of how pretty a player he his yet, with his skill set is great option to have.

Truth be told I don't think many clubs be lining up for him if we did put him on the market.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 850 
      Reply #875: Jun 03, 2023 06:56:21 pm
      For such a small fee I think more beneficial to have him around the squad playing rotational role and mentoring the younger players. I agree with the people mention that is can be overrated because of how pretty a player he his yet, with his skill set is great option to have.

Truth be told I don't think many clubs be lining up for him if we did put him on the market.
      I think I am of that opinion too. In addition to the points you made, I also think that the midfielders we are signing, despite being signed to play an important role ASAP, will require an adaptation period and so rotation might happen more often than one would think especially in the first half of the season. It won't be as smooth as just dropping in MacAllister and one or two other midfielders into the starting XI and watch them immediately produce perfect LFC type football from the first game of the season. With that in mind, I think that having experienced players like him and Hendo will be beneficial to us.
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #876: Jun 03, 2023 08:41:18 pm
      Defo keep. When on form and injury free, he is absolutely quality.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #877: Jun 03, 2023 09:42:22 pm
      Defo keep. When on form and injury free, he is absolutely quality.

2 games out of 38? Get shut while he has any sell on value.
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #878: Jun 03, 2023 09:53:30 pm
      2 games out of 38? Get shut while he has any sell on value.

Doesn’t mean it will always be that way. Always keep your better players.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #879: Jun 05, 2023 10:30:19 am
      Not going anywhere, guy is a class act, hopefully we are luckier with Injuries next season and we can manage his game time better, keep him fit more often than not.
      CT_LFC

• 6,800 posts | 1399 
      Reply #880: Jun 05, 2023 03:52:04 pm
      A player of Thiago's quality and experience should always have a spot on this team. He shouldn't be our every day starter, but definitely a strong role on the team. I believe i've read he's also taken on a leadership role helping Diaz and Nunez transition being Spanish speaker.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #881: Jun 05, 2023 03:53:42 pm
      A player of Thiago's quality and experience should always have a spot on this team. He shouldn't be our every day starter, but definitely a strong role on the team. I believe i've read he's also taken on a leadership role helping Diaz and Nunez transition being Spanish speaker.

Yup, sometimes folk forget about the other stuff some player's do like that.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #882: Jun 05, 2023 05:06:24 pm
      World class player, any talk of getting rid is a non starter for me.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #883: Jun 05, 2023 05:16:00 pm
      World class player, any talk of getting rid is a non starter for me.

Not fussed if he moves on now we're signing MacAllister who plays the same role.

Thiago is too injury prone we'll be lucky to get 10 games out of him next season.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,697 posts | 3365 
      Reply #884: Jun 05, 2023 05:18:33 pm
      I suspect he will leave on a free , no point selling him I don’t think he would go for much

Will prob go back to Spain at the end of his contact or sign yearly extensions
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #885: Jun 05, 2023 06:48:49 pm
      Not fussed if he moves on now we're signing MacAllister who plays the same role.

Thiago is too injury prone we'll be lucky to get 10 games out of him next season.

Maybe with a viable option to spell him we will get a lot more games out of him. Or do you want to turn around and just run another player into the ground?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #886: Jun 06, 2023 06:59:59 am
      Maybe with a viable option to spell him we will get a lot more games out of him. Or do you want to turn around and just run another player into the ground?

Thiago was only averaging 50% game availability before we signed him due to injuries now it's even less. He's a top player but not cut out for it physically. If we replace him with a quality strong midfielder I'm fine with this we need a fit squad for the season ahead.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #887: Jun 06, 2023 07:52:24 am
      He should be only an option off the bench. Last 20 minutes to control the final period of the match.

We need to buy three first team midfielders.
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,775 posts | 392 
      Reply #888: Jun 06, 2023 08:19:45 am

Just need to change his role and importance in the team.

If he's not being targeted at 30-40 games a season he could easily show up quite well in 20.
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 825 posts | 295 
      Reply #889: Jun 06, 2023 07:04:28 pm
      One of those players who is vastly overrated by our own fans and the media just because he's good on the eye the way he plays the game.

I think that being good to watch can also be important. Obviously winning football games, league titles and cups is the primary objective for LFC but football is also about entertaining fans and playing attractive football. Thiago, when he's fit and on form is a very attractive player to watch.
      Djokovic might be a more successful tennis player but I'd rather watch Roger Federer.

I'm not saying that he's only a player that looks good, I also think he contributes to the team when he's fit and on form.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #890: Jun 07, 2023 02:12:29 pm
      maybe his injuries have deprived us from the best version of Thiago but I find he slows up play and loses the ball ans makes rash challenges not to mention his lack of goals. He doesnt seem to have the legs that a midfielder needs to work in a Klopp team.
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 562 posts | 128 
      Reply #891: Jun 07, 2023 04:28:27 pm
      maybe his injuries have deprived us from the best version of Thiago but I find he slows up play and loses the ball ans makes rash challenges not to mention his lack of goals. He doesnt seem to have the legs that a midfielder needs to work in a Klopp team.

Although rash at least he makes a challenge unlike most of our midfield this season excepting bajcetic. If you want rash let's talk Milner.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,993 posts | 518 
      Reply #892: Jun 07, 2023 10:17:31 pm
      Very conflicted on Thiago. Obviously he is a class player, a genuine talent and good to watch. But, as well as being injury prone, he has a lack of end product for such a talented player. He doesnt have many assists for a player you would think would be very creative, and almost no goals. Defensively he can switch off, and take the easy option of diving in instead of tracking the runner.

Basically my head says sell and my heart says keep. Realistically, it depends on what we'd get for him. As some have said, don't think it'd be a massive amount based on his stats vs his wages, so we will probably keep him as a very talented but somewhat frustrating squad player. Which is fine with me. Main thing is not to be reliant on him as a necessary starter.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #893: Jun 07, 2023 10:22:18 pm
      Very conflicted on Thiago. Obviously he is a class player, a genuine talent and good to watch. But, as well as being injury prone, he has a lack of end product for such a talented player. He doesnt have many assists for a player you would think would be very creative, and almost no goals. Defensively he can switch off, and take the easy option of diving in instead of tracking the runner.

Basically my head says sell and my heart says keep. Realistically, it depends on what we'd get for him. As some have said, don't think it'd be a massive amount based on his stats vs his wages, so we will probably keep him as a very talented but somewhat frustrating squad player. Which is fine with me. Main thing is not to be reliant on him as a necessary starter.

Judging by the rumours we aren't going to be relying on him next season.

What a player to have to step in when needed to add that touch of class, maybe even guide us through the Europa League etc.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #894: Jun 07, 2023 11:04:09 pm
      ;D the guy who thought Jay Spearing was top class saying Thiago is overrated. Unintentional comedy all the time around here
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,278 posts | 763 
      Reply #895: Jun 08, 2023 10:27:20 am
      Obviously needs to keep injury free, to provide his best form for the side, hopefully that will be in the coming season !
      Don77

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #896: Jun 08, 2023 10:51:47 am
      Obviously needs to keep injury free, to provide his best form for the side, hopefully that will be in the coming season !

Incredibly optimistic. In the real world ... if he actually makes it through preseason he will be on the shelf by the end of August.

A luxury player you might get 3 or 4 nice games a season from ... but very little else. Saleable asset ... sell. Otherwise its another year of wasted wages and another freebie walking out on the cards.

Quick Reply