Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Diogo Jota Player Thread (F)

Read 88326 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Re: Diogo Jota Player Thread
      Reply #92: Oct 31, 2020 11:50:38 pm
      He doesn’t fit into the current system but it needs reconfiguring to accommodate him for Bobby.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #93: Nov 01, 2020 12:17:22 am
      He doesn’t fit into the current system but it needs reconfiguring to accommodate him for Bobby.

I think Jota, Mane and Mo can all interchange positions up top providing goal threats from multiple areas.

We need to accept Bobby is not the player he once was. Yes he has moments in games and still works relatively hard off the ball. But his sparkle has faded considerably and he looks devoid of all goal scoring ability. Not sure how much longer we can wait to see if that sparkle will come back.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #94: Nov 01, 2020 07:07:56 am

Didn't think he'd have this impact to be honest but once again our scouting department have done the business and found a perfect fit.

Agreed.

I'd been thinking Traore from Wolves but Jota has exceeded all expectations so far.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #95: Nov 01, 2020 09:42:11 am

Why doesn't he fit in? He can play across the front, same as the other two, interchangeable cogs in a very very potent attack.

We have to start him against City because in that game we are going to have to have to really really attack them to have any chance because I can almost guarantee they'll score a few, City will be so up for that game so the only way to beat them is to push them back with wave after wave of attack.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,653 posts | 1586 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #96: Nov 01, 2020 02:22:27 pm
      Outstanding performance again yesterday and fully deserves to be in the team above Bobby on his recent showing, well played Jota, looks so keen to get involved all the time which is great to see, very modest young man too, I like him a lot.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,808 posts | 1402 
      Reply #97: Nov 01, 2020 02:54:46 pm
      Why doesn't he fit in? He can play across the front, same as the other two, interchangeable cogs in a very very potent attack.

We have to start him against City because in that game we are going to have to have to really really attack them to have any chance because I can almost guarantee they'll score a few, City will be so up for that game so the only way to beat them is to push them back with wave after wave of attack.

City certainly struggle defensively but an all out attack is asking for a beating. City’s transition game is world class and don’t want to get caught up field and our inexperienced defense exposed. We will definitely need Bobby and the midfield at their best in pressing, recovering the ball and linking play. 
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #98: Nov 01, 2020 03:11:54 pm
      City certainly struggle defensively but an all out attack is asking for a beating. City’s transition game is world class and don’t want to get caught up field and our inexperienced defense exposed. We will definitely need Bobby and the midfield at their best in pressing, recovering the ball and linking play. 

I think sitting back against City is even more suicidal, with them attack really is the best form of defence. I'm not talking about crazy gung ho attacks, but just constant forward pressure, be positive. If we let them get amongst our defence on a consistent basis then we'll lose, they have way to many goal scoring players for that to be a good strategy.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #99: Nov 01, 2020 05:27:05 pm

Bobby isn't really linking play this season though is he? He's barely involved in any attacks leading to goals and is in the worst form of his Liverpool career. The argument to play him over Jota holds no weight.
      CT_LFC

• 6,808 posts | 1402 
      Reply #100: Nov 01, 2020 05:32:44 pm
      Bobby isn't really linking play this season though is he? He's barely involved in any attacks leading to goals and is in the worst form of his Liverpool career. The argument to play him over Jota holds no weight.

Yes, yes he is. He is doing the same job he has done for ages except with reduced scoring. If you can’t see that is because you see no right from Bobby and is your running shtick.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #101: Nov 01, 2020 05:39:18 pm
      Yes, yes he is. He is doing the same job he has done for ages except with reduced scoring. If you can’t see that is because you see no right from Bobby and is your running shtick.

Reduced scoring and assisting.

He is well below par this season but I guess if he's out there pressing then that's enough for some.
      rossyred

• 9,284 posts | 1664 
      Reply #102: Nov 01, 2020 09:30:15 pm
      Just read although interested in him it was Sarr who was preferred choice but Watford took the piss financially
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #103: Nov 01, 2020 09:31:49 pm
      Just read although interested in him it was Sarr who was preferred choice but Watford took the piss financially

Thank fudge for greedy Watford.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #104: Nov 01, 2020 11:27:19 pm
      What a Player

I was waiting for him to be mobbed when he scored the winner, but just a few of the glads came up to him and gave him high fives.

Think the lads are just over VAR. They have stopped celebrating!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #105: Nov 02, 2020 01:36:13 pm

Sorry but I'm not seeing the link up play either, not to the degree it used to be, and much as Bobby's lack of goals has always annoyed me, I have admired his pressing and link-up work. At the moment he's a passenger in that team.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #106: Nov 02, 2020 08:33:23 pm
      I think sitting back against City is even more suicidal, with them attack really is the best form of defence. I'm not talking about crazy gung ho attacks, but just constant forward pressure, be positive. If we let them get amongst our defence on a consistent basis then we'll lose, they have way to many goal scoring players for that to be a good strategy.

Middle ground will do.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,654 posts | 482 
      Reply #107: Nov 03, 2020 06:12:52 am
      Add Sancho and Mbappe over the next three seasons we'll complete our next gen front line 8)

Halland?  ;D
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #108: Nov 03, 2020 01:32:30 pm
      Reduced scoring and assisting.

He is well below par this season but I guess if he's out there pressing then that's enough for some.

Some being Jürgen apparently.

I'd argue part of Bobby's "problem" is that he's having to drop deeper to get involved in play because our midfield play and creativity has been less than ideal. With Thiago playing, I guarantee that Firmino is more involved and his game will look different.

CT_LFC

• 6,808 posts | 1402 
      Reply #109: Nov 03, 2020 01:59:38 pm

I'd argue part of Bobby's "problem" is that he's having to drop deeper to get involved in play because our midfield play and creativity has been less than ideal. With Thiago playing, I guarantee that Firmino is more involved and his game will look different.

I have noticed this as well. He spends a lot of time in our own half of the field to recover and start up the play.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #110: Nov 03, 2020 02:30:56 pm

Only Jürgen subs Bobby off first every game at the 60 or 70 min mark so he's clearly not entirely happy with him.

There might be something to him playing deeper but isn't Harry Kane playing deeper for spurs now and scoring/assisting every week?

We can make all the reasons to explain Bobby's poor form for the best part of this year but the fact is we're not winning games anymore with him on the pitch, and we are with Diogo.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,691 posts | 3711 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #111: Nov 03, 2020 02:59:23 pm
      He's done nothing wrong and played really well every game. The only time I thought he should have scored, is when he had a chance against Arsenal before he actually scored. When else he had a decent chance, he took it.

What I liked for his last goal, was his movement which Shaqiri intellegently understood immediately.
      CT_LFC

• 6,808 posts | 1402 
      Reply #112: Nov 03, 2020 03:07:02 pm
      He's done nothing wrong and played really well every game. The only time I thought he should have scored, is when he had a chance against Arsenal before he actually scored. When else he had a decent chance, he took it.

What I liked for his last goal, was his movement which Shaqiri intellegently understood immediately.

Steve Nicol made mention of this which i totally agreed with. Salah, Mane and Firmino spent too much time in the crowded box sucked up by defenders and no one was making runs in from outside the box until Jota did, which was the difference maker.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #113: Nov 03, 2020 04:45:29 pm
      Only Jürgen subs Bobby off first every game at the 60 or 70 min mark so he's clearly not entirely happy with him.

There might be something to him playing deeper but isn't Harry Kane playing deeper for spurs now and scoring/assisting every week?

We can make all the reasons to explain Bobby's poor form for the best part of this year but the fact is we're not winning games anymore with him on the pitch, and we are with Diogo.

Maybe he subs off Bobby because he’s the one that’s tired from all of the running and pressing he does? Be interesting to see the stats on distance covered I suppose. Would either prove my point or prove me an ass. The latter would not be surprising.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #114: Nov 03, 2020 06:01:06 pm
      Steve Nicol made mention of this which i totally agreed with. Salah, Mane and Firmino spent too much time in the crowded box sucked up by defenders and no one was making runs in from outside the box until Jota did, which was the difference maker.

Which is likely part of Klopp's plans.

Defenders spend an hour or so dealing with one thing, then it changes, and they are slower to react.

Quick Reply