Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Diogo Jota Player Thread (F)

Read 83603 times
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Re: Diogo Jota Player Thread (F)
      Reply #690: Feb 10, 2023 04:16:07 am
      Biggest miss on his first season's form....but even before his injury, it's not like was really doing much.

Yes his first season for me just what too much better than my expectation. True it's big miss.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #691: Feb 10, 2023 07:18:11 am
      Obviously he’s been injured, but come April will have been a year since his last goal for the club.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #692: Feb 10, 2023 08:16:58 am
      Obviously he’s been injured, but come April will have been a year since his last goal for the club.

How many full matches has he had without a goal?

His goals are the only reason the quad stayed an option because he kept us afloat when Mo went into his post afcon slump which he's never come out of.

They way I look at it ... not scored since April ... basically no football in May June July ... missed the start of the season and only returned in October ... rangers i think and man city where he played great and got injured and hasn't been seen since.

So time wise quite a while but in terms of full matches played not so much.

The thing with Jota is his speed and hid work rate and his threat ... we've missed all of those. Hope he can make the bench for the derby.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #693: Feb 10, 2023 09:42:03 am
      How many full matches has he had without a goal?

His goals are the only reason the quad stayed an option because he kept us afloat when Mo went into his post afcon slump which he's never come out of.

They way I look at it ... not scored since April ... basically no football in May June July ... missed the start of the season and only returned in October ... rangers i think and man city where he played great and got injured and hasn't been seen since.

So time wise quite a while but in terms of full matches played not so much.

The thing with Jota is his speed and hid work rate and his threat ... we've missed all of those. Hope he can make the bench for the derby.

You’re reading too much into my post. I’m well aware of the mitigating circumstances, my post was more the fact that despite all those factors it’s quite a surprising stat.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #694: Feb 10, 2023 09:53:32 am
      You’re reading too much into my post. I’m well aware of the mitigating circumstances, my post was more the fact that despite all those factors it’s quite a surprising stat.

Did score a couple of amazing pens in pressure situations so I’ll let him off.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #695: Feb 10, 2023 10:58:13 am
      Did score a couple of amazing pens in pressure situations so I’ll let him off.

Don’t get me wrong, not having a dig at him. More just surprised it would’ve been that long come April because seemed like he was scoring on a weekly basis at one point.
      Don77

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #696: Feb 10, 2023 11:28:36 am

Yeah I know that mate. It just sounded like a line sky would churn out 🤣

I really like Diogo. I like his attitude and what he brings either from the left or through the middle. It's fantastic to see him back.

City was our best game of the season and it was his last game. Hopefully he can find some rhythm quickly.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #697: Feb 10, 2023 11:34:58 am
      Don’t get me wrong, not having a dig at him. More just surprised it would’ve been that long come April because seemed like he was scoring on a weekly basis at one point.

He’s such a good player mate, I think once he gets his first goal he’ll be back.

I love him
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #698: Feb 10, 2023 12:33:18 pm
      Yeah I know that mate. It just sounded like a line sky would churn out 🤣

I really like Diogo. I like his attitude and what he brings either from the left or through the middle. It's fantastic to see him back.

City was our best game of the season and it was his last game. Hopefully he can find some rhythm quickly.

No not at all, sorry if it came across that way. I’m not alone in saying Diogo is one of my favourite players. IMO even when he’s not at his best he’s still such a threat because for me, he’s the best ball carrier we have, he can drift past 3, 4 players with ease and he’s surprisingly good in the air too.
      It just surprised me that for a player who got over 20 goals last season, it will have that length of time without him being on the score sheet for us.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #699: Feb 10, 2023 12:37:52 pm
      he put in a shift when Mo and Sadio left for the AFCON and he works like a demon for the team done really well when he got game time and there is a lot more to come. Nunez,Gkapo and Jota why couldnt they be our new strike force.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #700: Feb 10, 2023 01:13:02 pm
      I like Diogo too, but I've read more times than I can count that a forward's job is to score goals (ask Bobby about that) and he hasn't scored a goal in a long time and now he'll have the weight of an injury on his mind. I hope he can turn things around for us, but that might be a big ask considering the circumstances. I'm thinking he may need a good bit of time to get his mojo back.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #701: Feb 13, 2023 11:50:23 pm
      Great to see a cameo role from Diogo tonight, hopefully he can kick on and help us move steadily up the table.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #702: Mar 09, 2023 08:58:38 pm
      Seeing some report that we might listen to offers for Jota at 62 million.
      Would hope that it's not true, but with these owners, and the need to strengthen in the middle come summer, wouldn't put anything past them.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #703: Mar 10, 2023 02:10:34 pm
      Seeing some report that we might listen to offers for Jota at 62 million.
      Would hope that it's not true, but with these owners, and the need to strengthen in the middle come summer, wouldn't put anything past them.

If you can manage to put your agenda aside, perhaps you will realize that we are not that well balanced up front.

We have 3 players who can play LW -> Jota, Diaz, Nunez
      We have 3 players who can play CF -> Jota, Gakpo, Nunez
      We have 1 player who can play RW -> Salah

It would not be a bad thing to turn Jota into a proper backup to Salah. The drop off in that position from Salah to anyone available at this point is significant.
      Smitty80sbaby
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 113 posts | 25 
      Reply #704: Apr 04, 2023 09:59:41 pm
      Another game without a goal
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #705: Apr 04, 2023 10:14:51 pm
      Didn't dude just comeback from injury? ;D everyone needs to calm down, holy.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #706: Apr 04, 2023 10:17:32 pm
      I had a feeling he was gonna score in that first half, never happened then he went missing completely in the 2nd half.

Just looked really slow and lethargic.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #707: Apr 04, 2023 10:22:47 pm
      I had a feeling he was gonna score in that first half, never happened then he went missing completely in the 2nd half.

Just looked really slow and lethargic.

He honestly looks completely different from the player we bought and the player he was the first year. Almost like he's settled and doesn't feel like he has anything to prove anymore.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,971 posts | 2050 
      Reply #708: Apr 04, 2023 10:28:33 pm
      He honestly looks completely different from the player we bought and the player he was the first year. Almost like he's settled and doesn't feel like he has anything to prove anymore.

He's an excellent player but not CL winning standard. He scores goals but not much else. Doesn't really have the pressing / energy game that the high standards of Mane, Bobby and Mo (and even Lallana before them) set. I feel that's a prerequisite of an attacker for us and we've worryingly strayed away from that in our attacking signings in recent years
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,609 posts | 365 
      Reply #709: Apr 04, 2023 10:40:25 pm
      In a more brutal set up he'd be out the door.
      Fabio Aurelio
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 873 posts | 107 
      Reply #710: Apr 05, 2023 12:29:47 am
      He’s been unlucky with injuries. Not scoring is a concern but I don’t know how many games out of the 30 without a goal he’s started. Of course he should score a goal at some point but he has come back into a dysfunctional side and he hasn’t had a chance to have a proper run of games.

He’s always been a player who can be very sloppy in his general play but then compensates for that with goals. Right now he’s not scoring so his value to the side isn’t really there. I do think he’s actually gotten a bit better at not losing the ball though, and he is willing to put in a decent shift in any position in the front 3. I don’t think he suits the right wing and I actually think Diaz is our best option for that position if Mo isn’t playing. 

I wouldn’t be looking to move Jota on. He’s still a good age and he has been an important player for us. I think he’s the best finisher/poacher in the squad and his versatility is a plus. Due to how dysfunctional the side is, there’s some players who I’m willing to give a pass to and hope that they will do better next year when we will have hopefully brought in new players who fit in to what we’re tying to do. Jota is one of those. He needs a pre-season and a consistent run in a team that isn’t an unbalanced shambles.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1191 
      Reply #711: Apr 05, 2023 01:02:12 am
      Often used to pop up with important goals, with quite a range finishes as well, and was always on the go, so it's disappointing his return has done little to alter our awful trajectory as a team. It does pose a major question whether he can return to his previous levels (worryingly, we can now say the same for many others) but I wouldn't be looking to move him on (yet). Good age, needs a proper pre season to get back to full fitness in a team hopefully rebuilt or at least refreshed and playing with motivation again.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #712: Apr 05, 2023 10:00:41 am
      I don't think Jota was ever blessed with pace,
      but watching the last two games he looks like injuries
      have wiped out any pace he had.

Whenever there was a break on he was never able to catch up.
      Like watching someone stuck in the wrong gear.

Quick Reply