Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

Jota and our Tactics: How Does our new #20 fit in and affect the team?

Read 2520 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Jota and our Tactics: How Does our new #20 fit in and affect the team?
      Sep 19, 2020 07:45:02 pm
      Diogo Jota signed for 40 million somethings. That's not what you pay for a backup is it?

JĆ¼rgen says the following on the official site:

(Q: Is it the room for potential that excites you the most and do you sense that heā€™s relishing that challenge here as well?)

"He knows itā€™s a step for him, he knows that. Of course it is. We always talk about these kinds of things; who can improve our team, the team who won pretty much everything last year? A lot of things can improve us, just if you want to come and play 500 games in a row then it could be slightly difficult. He knows itā€™s a step for him and he can give us things we donā€™t have ā€“ thatā€™s why itā€™s cool. The space for improvement is not what I like most, but itā€™s there. He is now already ready to play for us but yes, Iā€™m pretty sure thereā€™s something to come. And the way we play, the way we train and the way we treat people, I think will help him as well. And, of course, being in a team like this is good because [there are] good players around you, make yourself better. Thatā€™s how it will be with him as well and what he will do with us."
      « Last Edit: Sep 20, 2020 02:57:31 pm by JD »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Jota and our Jactics: How Does our new #20 fit in and affect the team?
      Reply #1: Sep 19, 2020 07:57:54 pm
      Another quote of JĆ¼rgen, from The Guardian. Perhaps even more telling:

ā€œEven if everyone is fit rotation is absolutely necessary because it just doesnā€™t work otherwise,ā€ he said. ā€œInternationally, England alone play three games in October and we just have to try and make sure we can deal with this situation.

ā€œI want my players happy but I cannot make them happy. They are a big part of that as well. For example if we have more than three midfielders and we play 4-3-3 then a couple will not start or come on. Some wonā€™t have the opportunity to be in the match-day squad, thatā€™s how it is. But my job is to show the players how important they are in pretty every moment. In training, in the lineup, on the bench or a week later in the same situation.ā€

That first bit should be a sticky posted at the top of every pre-match thread and also after the lineup is posted in the match day thread.

The 2nd paragraph seems to indicate we will go with a bigger squad than usual, because of fixture congestion all season.

Let's hope we advance in all of our competitions and keep piling up the games.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2: Sep 19, 2020 08:07:28 pm
      "I want my players happy but I cannot make them happy ... Some wonā€™t have the opportunity to be in the match-day squad"

This is true, at the moment, with the squad we have, some good players won't even make the bench!!

Hard to see Jota displacing one of the front three - when in form.
      But we've seen how some guys can hit some poor form for a while, so he'd need to take his chance when it comes - and if he does, and he plays well and gets goals etc, then it can be hard to drop you, and so it goes...

I think these are the type of problems that they say are good to have.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,101 posts | 4866 
      Reply #3: Sep 19, 2020 11:02:01 pm
      I see him mainly from the left but wouldn't be surprised to see him in any of the front three positions though the season.

With him and Minamino we have some proper depth to the forward line now.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,756 posts | 238 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #4: Sep 20, 2020 03:05:20 am
      We needed another pacey option up top, the attack works much better I found when we had two players with ability to run behind the defenders for long ball with one player (like Firmino, Minamino or Shaqiri) who dwell on the ball and look for pass.

With the amount of matches we expect to play within the short time span I expect he will get more than enough playing time to try to give Klopp a selection headache and give quality option off the bench when all our front three are having a off game.

He looks a decent player whenever i seen him play and hopefully like we seen with Salah and Mane working under Klopp he will take the jump to the next level.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,803 posts | 4909 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #5: Sep 20, 2020 06:13:28 am
      Very good signing is Diogo Jota, like I mentioned in another post, think Andy Robertson for the surprise element, heā€™s better than we think, and JĆ¼rgen will get even more out of him, he himself will improve by playing with those around him, for Ā£40M + shrapnel itā€™s a cracking  bit of business ,

His versatility is key, anywhere across the front 6, out wide or in the hole, he knows he wonā€™t play every week, as do those already here, thatā€™s the deal, if you want success, medals & silverware thatā€™s how it is in a Klopp system,

JĆ¼rgen now has a squad deep enough to challenge  on all fronts, for domestic trophies I think heā€™ll still use kids for development purposes and of course for more experienced players a bit of game time, but I think he will focus more on the big two, in particular another Premier league title, he will want to do what no other has done and win it season on season every season, in other words under JĆ¼rgen we are becoming the ā€˜Bastions of Invincibilityā€™ that Shanks wanted, believe ppl, this is the continuation of dominance unseen by anyone ever before, Fatter Frank & Wee baldy Pep can spend all the oligarch money they want, but they havenā€™t got a JĆ¼rgen and they havenā€™t got a throbbing bouncing Anfield, now,  how does that song go, .....

....ā€Weā€™ve conquered all of Europe, weā€™re never gonna stopā€

Do you think we should commission a statue now or wait a season or two?

Y  N  W  A
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,528 posts | 6887 
      Re: Jota and our Tactics: How Does our new #20 fit in and affect the team?
      Reply #6: Sep 20, 2020 03:00:57 pm
      Klopp could use him if he plays Fabinho and Alcantara in the same midfield.  I'd imagine he could play in some kind of diamond either behind or in front of Firmino.  Some games might see him with all three as well.

NB: Team no longer available

From what I've seen of him he can operate in any of the front three positions for us.  It's hard to say he has been brought in as cover just for one player. Minamino, him, Shaqiri and Origi do provide a multitude of cover at the moment.  (Assuming they all stay)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,101 posts | 4866 
      Reply #7: Sep 20, 2020 03:18:25 pm
      Klopp could use him if he plays Fabinho and Alcantara in the same midfield.  I'd imagine he could play in some kind of diamond either behind or in front of Firmino.  Some games might see him with all three as well.

NB: Team no longer available

From what I've seen of him he can operate in any of the front three positions for us.  It's hard to say he has been brought in as cover just for one player. Minamino, him, Shaqiri and Origi do provide a multitude of cover at the moment.  (Assuming they all stay)

Could also have him in Mane's role with Sadio moving to the middle against certain sides as well.

Benladdie3000
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 92 posts | 19 
      Reply #8: Sep 22, 2020 04:23:54 pm
      He is going to tear apart teams who sit back. He so good when running at defenders and with tiago knocking it over to him I'm so excited. Well done to club. Would have been easy to sign an older more well known name but this is brilliant
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #9: Sep 22, 2020 05:08:19 pm
      I mainly see him as cover for the wing as Minamino is more apt to cover for Bobby. Also gives Klopp the possibility to bring in Jota for Bobby and put Mo in CF so that we have pace in all 3 positions up front.

Seems like a fantastic signing, and at 23yo he is part of the future of this team and allows us to have proper depth up front and also maintaining roster harmony since Jota knows coming in he's not going to surpass any of the front 3.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #10: Sep 23, 2020 06:49:06 am
      Having him simply gives us more option. He can replace any of the front 3 and with Minamino, we can change system when needed. I would like to see this once in a while

Jota     Mane    Salah
                Firmino

Or

Jota   Salah   Mane
              Firmino

Firmino was a no. 10 before Klopp made him a CF. I always thought he would be of better use there in a 4-2-3-1.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #11: Sep 23, 2020 11:26:16 am
      Having him simply gives us more option. He can replace any of the front 3 and with Minamino, we can change system when needed. I would like to see this once in a while

Jota     Mane    Salah
                Firmino

Or

Jota   Salah   Mane
              Firmino

Firmino was a no. 10 before Klopp made him a CF. I always thought he would be of better use there in a 4-2-3-1.

One thing I'm sure of is that Firmino has been utilized to the greatest effect in Klopp's system. His role over the past few seasons, dropping as deep as he does, leading the press and being so integral to the transition from pressing to attack, has made him one of the most valuable components of any team in world football. There may be chances we'd like to see him convert that he misses (like any forward), but I honestly can't imagine how he could be of better use, tactically.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #12: Sep 23, 2020 12:12:07 pm
      One thing I'm sure of is that Firmino has been utilized to the greatest effect in Klopp's system. His role over the past few seasons, dropping as deep as he does, leading the press and being so integral to the transition from pressing to attack, has made him one of the most valuable components of any team in world football. There may be chances we'd like to see him convert that he misses (like any forward), but I honestly can't imagine how he could be of better use, tactically.

I'm note sure about that. He never tried to play him as no. 10.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1464 
      Reply #13: Sep 23, 2020 01:40:41 pm

Seems like a fantastic signing, and at 23yo he is part of the future of this team and allows us to have proper depth up front and also maintaining roster harmony since Jota knows coming in he's not going to surpass any of the front 3.

This is disappointing to hear. He should come in and threaten the front three. Or best, make any of them feel insecure, distracted, and ultimately seek a move elsewhere.

Oops, sorry. Let me rephrase. Erm... I meant to say "keep the front three on their toes so that they do not slack", because if they do, they'll be punished to the bench. Sorry again, I didn't mean punish, I meant maintain world class levels to keep their starting spot. And for the good of thrashing teams we face.

Sorry for the confusion. I mean the competition for places should be cut throat. No no no, I meant friendly. To keep up with City, the best club in the world. No sorry, we actually hold that title now. I wonder how City is regarded as the best team in the world and in this league. Maybe I should ask Martin Tyler and the Sky people.

Stammering. Not meself today. Sorry about that.
      Kopite78
      Reply #14: Sep 23, 2020 02:07:44 pm
      I'm note sure about that. He never tried to play him as no. 10.

He essentially plays as a 10 now, look at his positions on a heat map.
      Well I suppose it's a 9 and a half but the point being is Bobby is key to getting the best out of Mane and Salah with him playing that withdrawn 9 / no 10 role, he has space to press, then pick it up and turn with the space in front of him
      If you played him as a traditional 10, ie with a 9 in front of him the space he works in to feed the wide two would be significantly tighter

Also the numbers in midfield are key to us winning it back quickly and feeding Bobby or directly wide and if you took one of those out to play Bobby deeper and a 9 in front of him I'm not sure the system would be as effective

Quick Reply