Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Chelsea?

Alisson
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
       Fabinho
      56 (49.1%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Naby Keïta
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      55 (48.2%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (0.9%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      2 (1.8%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Takumi Minamino
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Voting closed: Sep 24, 2020 06:22:51 pm

Chelsea 0-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 23241 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Chelsea 0-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #437: Sep 21, 2020 10:45:21 am
      The penalty, am I blinded as a red or did Werner go down with no contact? Couldnt believe var looked at a possible offside but not a possible dive
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #438: Sep 21, 2020 10:48:39 am
      The penalty, am I blinded as a red or did Werner go down with no contact? Couldnt believe var looked at a possible offside but not a possible dive

I agree, there didn't seem to be any contact at all, so Werner is basically a diving little sh*t, I think we swerved well on that one, he's a pacy player but I wasn't that impressed with him yesterday to be honest, Fabinho a make shift CB had him in his pocket all game!
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #439: Sep 21, 2020 11:48:51 am
      Went a little bit unnoticed due to the red card but that pass by Hendo to Mane that proceeded it was a beauty. Not easy to hit a straight aerial ball like that but he executed it perfectly. Anyone know about his injury?
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #440: Sep 21, 2020 01:20:10 pm
      I agree, there didn't seem to be any contact at all, so Werner is basically a diving little sh*t, I think we swerved well on that one, he's a pacy player but I wasn't that impressed with him yesterday to be honest, Fabinho a make shift CB had him in his pocket all game!

I thought Werner looked lively to be honest but his team mates weren’t on his level. It was a penalty too. I hate penalties like that but in the modern game it’s a penalty.

Agree Fabinho did a job on him but Werner was the only chelsea player who could take any credit after yesterday’s game in my opinion and from what I saw, he will do very well in the prem. He was basically a one man team up against the best team in the world yesterday.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #441: Sep 21, 2020 01:32:17 pm

Thiago may have brushed him but yes he was looking for it. Never a pen for me and and I’d have said the same were it Salah. In fact Salah went down early under the same amount of contact in the box and the red told him to get on with it.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #442: Sep 21, 2020 03:28:15 pm
      Said before the game we need a CB but really the way Fab played back there that doesnt have to be a big money signing. I still think it would be nice to have one but I wouldn't go spending a ton of money on it. Whoever it is may only get the cup games and a few league apps.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #443: Sep 21, 2020 05:06:46 pm
      Werner was Chelsea's best player alongside Kante. You could see why we wanted him: pace to burn, links up well, drops deep to help build the attack.

Offensively he was their main threat and the way Frank Pulis was playing he was basically going at it alone up front.

And this is what, his 2nd game in the EPL? Chelsea got themselves a very good player, those bas**rds.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #444: Sep 21, 2020 07:31:00 pm

I thought it was a penalty, I also think Werner should have been booked for simulation.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #445: Sep 21, 2020 07:37:15 pm
      Watched it again, and I really can't decide if we were that good, or chelsea were that bad.

They basically gave us 2/3rds of the pitch and hoped to counter down our right.
      It was only a matter of time before we got goals.

If that was a pen on Werner, there were 2 fouls in the box that should've been pens for us.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #446: Sep 21, 2020 07:39:04 pm
      Quote from HamannsTheMan
      Unbelievable performance and a fantastic result. I know it’s cliche but that was a true champions like performance.

Before kick off I was a little bit nervous. I thought fabinho playing in the back four would cause us problems in midfield and we might get over run. But we controlled the game start to finish and it was just pure dominance.

Absolutely buzzing with that performance. We were exceptional. Well done reds.

I've no issue with Fab playing CB, he's done it before without any problems. Thiago showed why we bought him. We've finally found a replacement for Xabi! Well done to Allison also for saving his first penalty for us.

Always great to win at Chelsea, but I think we went there at the best possible time, facing no fans, several opponents injured/unfit, others not up to the job of playing for them, and we got our 3 points.

We've scored 6 goals in our first 2 games in the past 3 seasons, winning 6 points each time. We set out to put 6 points on the board before our main rivals kicked a ball, and we've done it. Now we wait a week to see what everyone else can do before we play again.
      « Last Edit: Sep 21, 2020 07:49:50 pm by lfc across the water »
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #447: Sep 21, 2020 09:02:57 pm
      Thought we bossed the game, totally dominated Chelsea, great work rate, looking forward to the Arsenal game
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #448: Sep 21, 2020 11:50:26 pm
      I thought it was a penalty, I also think Werner should have been booked for simulation.

I'm confused mate?

You think it WAS a pen but at the same time Werner should be booked for simulation? So it was or wasn't a pen in your eyes? For mine, no F***ing way it was.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #449: Sep 22, 2020 12:38:07 am
      I'm confused mate?

You think it WAS a pen but at the same time Werner should be booked for simulation? So it was or wasn't a pen in your eyes? For mine, no F***ing way it was.

I think he was caught, I think he made a meal of it. No doubt it was a penalty, in my eyes, but Werner play acted after it. Seem to remember another Chelsea player doing similar as well, around the half way line. You can be fouled and exaggerate contact, hence the booking and penalty award.

It's like the Newcastle - Brighton game, after he tuned up the band and hit the Sweet Chin Music, he went down like he was fouled. It's further down my list of things needing fixing, way below timekeeping for example, but with VAR, a player that's fouled and exaggerates the contact should be booked.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #450: Sep 22, 2020 12:42:44 am
      I think he was caught, I think he made a meal of it. No doubt it was a penalty, in my eyes, but Werner play acted after it. Seem to remember another Chelsea player doing similar as well, around the half way line. You can be fouled and exaggerate contact, hence the booking and penalty award.

It's like the Newcastle - Brighton game, after he tuned up the band and hit the Sweet Chin Music, he went down like he was fouled. It's further down my list of things needing fixing, way below timekeeping for example, but with VAR, a player that's fouled and exaggerates the contact should be booked.

Ok now I understand what you mean, thanks mate.....I still don't think he touched him and if he did was the slightest of touches...Virg gets F***ing dragged, pulled, blocked every time we have a corner and nothing...does my head in that sh*t.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #451: Sep 22, 2020 01:52:05 am
      Ok now I understand what you mean, thanks mate.....I still don't think he touched him and if he did was the slightest of touches...Virg gets F***ing dragged, pulled, blocked every time we have a corner and nothing...does my head in that sh*t.

I used to get sh*t when I used to say Skrtel was lucky as F**k not to concede more penalties, as he was always doing what the opposition now does to Virg.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #452: Sep 22, 2020 09:48:32 am
      I used to get sh*t when I used to say Skrtel was lucky as f**k not to concede more penalties, as he was always doing what the opposition now does to Virg.

but why is that allowed in the box, why is it ok to be dragging on a shirt for a corner but not in open play, start handing out some penalties and you'll cut that sh*t out immediately. I also think regarding penalties there has to be some more contact for a penalty to be awarded, these days the second you touch a player they fall down, its getting a bit silly, at least you should have to really push them or kick out their legs etc.
      Kopite78
      Reply #453: Sep 22, 2020 09:50:10 am
      but why is that allowed in the box, why is it ok to be dragging on a shirt for a corner but not in open play, start handing out some penalties and you'll cut that sh*t out immediately. I also think regarding penalties there has to be some more contact for a penalty to be awarded, these days the second you touch a player they fall down, its getting a bit silly, at least you should have to really push them or kick out their legs etc.

The pace in which some of these forwards move in the modern game it doesnt take much contact for them to lose balance
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #454: Sep 22, 2020 12:26:45 pm
      The pace in which some of these forwards move in the modern game it doesnt take much contact for them to lose balance

Then they need to work on their balance, in the 70's/80's and earlier you had to really chop someone down for them to get a foul, now its the slightest touch, are you really telling me that modern footballers are that much quicker now, sorry but I just don't believe that.

At the current rate it won't be long before football is a zero contact sport.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #455: Sep 22, 2020 12:28:57 pm
      Then they need to work on their balance, in the 70's/80's and earlier you had to really chop someone down for them to get a foul, now its the slightest touch, are you really telling me that modern footballers are that much quicker now, sorry but I just don't believe that.

I partially agree but Werner was probably slightly clipped and at the end of the day Thiago didn’t complain
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #456: Sep 22, 2020 12:32:16 pm
      I partially agree but Werner was probably slightly clipped and at the end of the day Thiago didn’t complain

Yeah I've seen both Sadio and Mo come down in similar circumstances, but I feel that is as wrong, it needs to go back to being a bit more contact before a penalty is awarded otherwise its practically impossible to defend in the box.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #457: Sep 22, 2020 12:32:36 pm

The game has changed fella. Genie is out the bottle and it's not going back.

The need to protect creative / quick players from serious injury IS more important than allowing a good robust wake up foul in the first 10 mins.......or players going down too easily....

I loved a good rattler back in the day but there'd be a leg break every other game now which is not palatable for anyone with the prizes / money involved......not to mention young men's (and women's) careers.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #458: Sep 22, 2020 02:31:37 pm
      The game has changed fella. Genie is out the bottle and it's not going back.

The need to protect creative / quick players from serious injury IS more important than allowing a good robust wake up foul in the first 10 mins.......or players going down too easily....

I loved a good rattler back in the day but there'd be a leg break every other game now which is not palatable for anyone with the prizes / money involved......not to mention young men's (and women's) careers.

Hmm so why did they not have to protect players in the 70's or 80's or were there no good players back then.... cough cough Pele, George Best, Maradona, Daglish, Keegan etc etc etc etc etc.

I'm not suggesting we go back to the Tommy Smith book of tackling but it really is getting very namby pamby these days with the slightest contact and the players throwing themselves to the ground rolling around in agony.

I'm just saying it needs to be dialled back a bit, would make the game more entertaining and improve the flow.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #459: Sep 22, 2020 03:05:20 pm
      Ok now I understand what you mean, thanks mate.....I still don't think he touched him and if he did was the slightest of touches...Virg gets f**king dragged, pulled, blocked every time we have a corner and nothing...does my head in that sh*t.

I think was slight contact but as some of the experts bang on about just because there is contact doesn't necessarily mean a pen. Surely they should look at intent and it didn't look to me that he intended anything apart from getting out of the way

Quick Reply