Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre-Match: Lincoln City vs. Liverpool, EFL Cup (Thurs.24th September 19:45 KO)

Read 9259 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Pre-Match: Lincoln City vs. Liverpool, EFL Cup (Thurs.24th September 19:45 KO)
      Reply #46: Sep 22, 2020 02:23:01 pm
      Gradually ? Do you want him to play against Arsenal or just gradually give him minutes here and there he has had no pre season games perfect opportunity  to get minutes in and used to system

Did he look out of shape against Chelsea, Yes or No? What he needs is to train with the first team and not play a game with the fringe players against a 3rd division team and risk injury.
      If his fitness is not up to scratch then he plays the last 20-30 minutes in a few matches to get up to speed
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Re: Pre-Match: Lincoln City vs. Liverpool, EFL Cup (Thurs.24th September 19:45 KO)
      Reply #47: Sep 22, 2020 02:40:28 pm
      Did he look out of shape against Chelsea, Yes or No? What he needs is to train with the first team and not play a game with the fringe players against a 3rd division team and risk injury.
      If his fitness is not up to scratch then he plays the last 20-30 minutes in a few matches to get up to speed

So why if his fitness is not up to scratch would you not play him in this game to enable him more chance of playing 90 mins against Arsenal . You risk injury whenever you play he needs some game time he only played on Sunday due to injury and that we were playing against 10 men . 30 minutes or even a half will do him no harm whatsoever
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #48: Sep 22, 2020 02:45:57 pm
      So why if his fitness is not up to scratch would you not play him in this game to enable him more chance of playing 90 mins against Arsenal . You risk injury whenever you play he needs some game time he only played on Sunday due to injury and that we were playing against 10 men . 30 minutes or even a half will do him no harm whatsoever

because there is a greater risk of injury playing against lower league teams plus what he needs is better understanding with his other senior teammates, not which he won't gain playing with the fringe players.

BTW I don't think there is an issue with his fitness, do you?

Anyway as an illustration of how far we have come in 10 years, take a look at this, our absolute nadir:
      https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/now-liverpools-xi-beaten-northampton-2010/
      rossyred

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #49: Sep 22, 2020 02:51:48 pm
      because there is a greater risk of injury playing against lower league teams plus what he needs is better understanding with his other senior teammates, not which he won't gain playing with the fringe players.

BTW I don't think there is an issue with his fitness, do you?

Anyway as an illustration of how far we have come in 10 years, take a look at this, our absolute nadir:
      https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/now-liverpools-xi-beaten-northampton-2010/

Not sure on his Fitness camped in Chelseas half would have hardly exerted him or prooved one way or another . Training and match fitness two completely different animals which is why I think would be good to play some part at least . The link shows for real how far we have come frightening  really
      LiverpoolReds90
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 135 posts | 11 
      Reply #50: Sep 23, 2020 02:19:55 am
      looking forward to this i predict 3-0 liverpool  . give thiago  some game time also?
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #51: Sep 23, 2020 06:47:45 am
      you really think there's a chance thiago could get injured against lincoln city?! i mean, only if their players deliberately look to hurt him. otherwise, he's more likely to pull a muscle jumping off the team bus!!
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #52: Sep 23, 2020 07:59:54 am
      I'd like to see that:

Adrian
      Williams  Fabinho  Van Dijk    Tsimikas
                   Thiago    Milner
                         Minamino
      Shaqiri          Origi              Jota

Playing Fabinho will ensure that the pair with Van Dijk  can operate properly against Arsenal of need be.

We need to play these cups to win them. Klopp always plays a B team in these competitions. Now that we have better options, we should give it a go.
      « Last Edit: Sep 23, 2020 09:05:05 am by alex1995 »
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #53: Sep 23, 2020 08:26:29 am
      I agree, I would like a good domestic cup run this season, we have enough midfielders and forward line now.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #54: Sep 23, 2020 10:55:03 am
      I'd like to see that:

Adrian
      Williams  Fabinho  Van Dijk    Tsimikas
                   Thiago    Milner
                         Minamino
      Shaqiri          Origi              Jota

Playing Fabinho will ensure that the pair with Van Dijk  can operate properly against Arsenal of need be.

We need to play these cups to win them. Klopp always plays a B team in these competitions. Now that we have better options, we should give it a go.

hmm, no, no way do we risk either of our main CB's in this game, we are down to bare bones already at CB, plus we need to give the kids a go. I have faith in Sepp and whoever else we pair him with against a 3rd division team, if not then we need to let them go!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #55: Sep 23, 2020 10:59:56 am
      Id play Gomez as he missed the chelsea game
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #56: Sep 23, 2020 11:03:36 am
      Id play Gomez as he missed the chelsea game

Due to injury. Is he fit again ?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #57: Sep 23, 2020 11:13:36 am
      Not sure on his Fitness camped in Chelseas half would have hardly exerted him or prooved one way or another . Training and match fitness two completely different animals which is why I think would be good to play some part at least . The link shows for real how far we have come frightening  really

I expect he will start against Arsenal. I don't think fitness keeps him from playing vs. Lincoln, just the occasion.

Look at our domestic Cup lineups from the past couple of seasons when we've done so well in the league, Jürgen routinely rotates the entire team so players can keep on the schedule of one match per week when possible. Lincoln is a chance for a number of players to get a game who aren't getting one at the moment, even some experienced first team professionals. It's just not a priority.

As far as blending in, man I feel pity for the rest of the league to think he needs to synch with his teammates even more than what we saw last week. He looked like he'd been in the team forever.

Jürgen mentioned that he had played with Spain and been training with Bayern. He seems fully fit to me.

Thiago is on from the start vs. Arsenal and I didn't see anything last week to suggest he couldn't go the entire 90 minutes if Jürgen wants him to.  But no need to use him tomorrow.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #58: Sep 23, 2020 11:16:24 am

Jürgen said it was just the one game, but I haven't seen any video yet re who is training this week. I did see a note from The Anfield Wrap that Henderson has not resumed training yet so I'm guessing he may not be available, don't know.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #59: Sep 23, 2020 11:17:17 am

Pretty sure Jürgen said out for a day? I wouldnt be playing 2 kids in the heart of my defence with another at right full and a debutant at left full
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #60: Sep 23, 2020 11:20:20 am
      Pretty sure Jürgen said out for a day? I wouldnt be playing 2 kids in the heart of my defence with another at right full and a debutant at left full

Agree with this, and Gomez missing last week makes it more likely that he DOES play tomorrow (if he's truly fit).

Also, you remind me I've been overlooking that we have probably two competitive debuts tomorrow with Jota AND Tsmikas. Looking forward to seeing our new left back in a proper game as well.

EDIT: Ljinders just said Gomez will not play Thursday, for fitness reasons.
      « Last Edit: Sep 23, 2020 11:49:40 am by Robby The Z »
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #61: Sep 23, 2020 11:20:25 am
      I’ve gone for 4:0 to us in the predictions, may need to change that depending on starting 11, but it’s usually too late by the time we know that. 🤷‍♂️
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #62: Sep 23, 2020 11:50:41 am
      Henderson, Matip and Gomez all to miss Lincoln match, per official site.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #63: Sep 23, 2020 11:54:30 am
      Henderson, Matip and Gomez all to miss Lincoln match, per official site.

Is it long term injuries for Matip and Gomez or just niggles?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #64: Sep 23, 2020 12:04:46 pm
      Reading between the lines on Ljinders' comments in the presser just now, I'm expecting all change for this match.

He mentions how thick and fast the fixtures will be and how the entire team has a mentality of making the next match "a final."

"We want to attack this competition, but we have to do the right things in the right moments."

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #65: Sep 23, 2020 12:06:32 pm
      Is it long term injuries for Matip and Gomez or just niggles?

Joe returns to training Friday, he said. Matip out longer (hamstring).
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #66: Sep 23, 2020 12:14:36 pm
      No replays or extra time, just straight to penalty shootout. Makes sense, just make sure we put them out in the 90 mins.

0-2.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #67: Sep 23, 2020 12:24:17 pm
      BTW, Ljinders also said Koumetio undergoing a fitness check so he may not get the chance to debut tomorrow. I suppose it could be Van Den Berg and Phillips although the latter is supposed to be preparing for a move to a Championship side. I doubt they would want to use Van Dijk and Fabinho for this one with Arsenal coming up.

Come to think of it, we did leave Rhys Williams out of the EFL Trophy match. He's 18 and maybe taller than anyone in the squad - played on loan at Kidderminster Harriers last season. Now THAT would be a shock move.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #68: Sep 23, 2020 02:08:11 pm
      BTW, Ljinders also said Koumetio undergoing a fitness check so he may not get the chance to debut tomorrow. I suppose it could be Van Den Berg and Phillips although the latter is supposed to be preparing for a move to a Championship side. I doubt they would want to use Van Dijk and Fabinho for this one with Arsenal coming up.

Come to think of it, we did leave Rhys Williams out of the EFL Trophy match. He's 18 and maybe taller than anyone in the squad - played on loan at Kidderminster Harriers last season. Now THAT would be a shock move.

Is Pep leading the team out? Maybe we should stifle him by not giving him such career progressive roles. I fear we will lose him to become a full manager again. We know where this is going. He will eventually become a manager and we will lose a good coach.

And no, whoever I work for shall not stifle me career progression. But I'm all for stifling Pep's career. >:D

No no no. It's actually a good thing. I'm happy for him that he's been given career opportunities in his role. I'll be backing him all the way. Get us the win Pep.

Quick Reply