Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Arsenal?

Alisson Becker
      15 (15%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      4 (4%)
      Andy Robertson
      3 (3%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      4 (4%)
       Fabinho
      6 (6%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1%)
      Naby Keïta
      3 (3%)
      Sadio Mane
      57 (57%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (1%)
      Mohammed Salah
      5 (5%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Takumi Minamino
      0 (0%)
      Diogo Jota
      1 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Voting closed: Oct 02, 2020 09:51:30 pm

Liverpool 3-1 Arsenal: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 16242 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Liverpool 3-1 Arsenal: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #460: Sep 29, 2020 01:44:01 pm
      So it’s only right that I defend my boys who worked hard and put in a shift to come from behind. That’s what great managers do. And Jürgen is not a hypocrite. If he was unhappy with some parts of the game he would say so.

Don’t undermine his boys or he will put you in your place. That’s how you get your players to run through a brick wall for you.

And it’s not by punishing or threatening to drop them!

NOW who is jinxing??!?!?  ;D

*hides in curtains*
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #461: Sep 29, 2020 02:07:53 pm
      Great win.

Going into that last night I wanted 2 things...obviously the 3 points, but I wanted us to make sure that Auba never did his usual trick, cutting in from the left and smashing it into the top right corner. He never had a sniff all game. Was so proud of TAA, Joe and Fab for not letting that happen!

What more can you say about Sadio Mane? What a beast, he's on a different planet at the moment and I'm so glad he's ours!

Diogo, what can we say, excellent debut performance and so happy you got your first goal. I have a feeling you may quadruple that come Friday morning!

So happy beating that lot, one of my idiot mates is an annoying Arsenal Arsehole and this is what he wrote straight after to the match but he dare not send it to me, but my other mate did!!!  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Fair play to him though.
      I remember in the 1665/66 season we lost a match in London because we were worried about catching the plague.
      And we had to travel for a week on horse and cart to get there, only to find the pigs bladder had a slow puncture, we had to wait for someone to slaughter another pig.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #462: Sep 29, 2020 04:53:33 pm
      NOW who is jinxing??!?!?  ;D

*hides in curtains*

Yea, me.  :aaliverpool2xt1:

In all fairness, dropping players is an effective management tool for:
      1) giving them a much needed rest when their bodies require; and
      2) lazy and demotivated players who need to be penalised, for them to achieve their best outcomes. It’s probably very much like some little kids who need to be threatened for them to behave the way you want.

In my own view, the players are already motivated, grown up men. They know what they need to do after a poor performance. There isn’t a need to drop players haphazardly and unnecessarily unless there are very good reasons that will achieve better outcomes.

So yes, I’m not totally against this. In fact, I recognise its use in certain situations. It’s just that with the players we have, there isn’t a need for this to achieve better outcomes. Creating strive amongst players may backfire on teamwork and morale too. Anyway, Klopp’s in charge. Who are we to judge him?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #463: Sep 29, 2020 05:50:10 pm
      Yea, me.  :aaliverpool2xt1:

In all fairness, dropping players is an effective management tool for:
      1) giving them a much needed rest when their bodies require; and
      2) lazy and demotivated players who need to be penalised, for them to achieve their best outcomes. It’s probably very much like some little kids who need to be threatened for them to behave the way you want.

In my own view, the players are already motivated, grown up men. They know what they need to do after a poor performance. There isn’t a need to drop players haphazardly and unnecessarily unless there are very good reasons that will achieve better outcomes.

So yes, I’m not totally against this. In fact, I recognise its use in certain situations. It’s just that with the players we have, there isn’t a need for this to achieve better outcomes. Creating strive amongst players may backfire on teamwork and morale too. Anyway, Klopp’s in charge. Who are we to judge him?

We are the keyboard warriors, that's who!  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

Klopp is ruthless enough, but if I compare it to the business world, if someone who works for me is not performing up to standard, either through incompetence or apathy, that reflects on them but it also reflects on me, particularly when I am the person responsible for determining who is filling the positions meant to perform the work I am responsible for. Yes there are management decisions, but a major part of it is identifying the right people to do jobs and giving them the environment in which to perform at a high level.

All to say Jürgen and team do a great job of identifying the right people to be part of the squad, and recognizing who don't have the proper mentality for it. That doesn't mean you can just clear out everyone instantly (there are legal, financial and relational reasons why you sometimes have to wait), but once you have the right people on board, there shouldn't need to be a whole lot of drama.

Along with this, having realistic expectations for evaluation, looking for patterns of behavior and performance rather than going ape over moments in time, helps sustain that positive working environment. Klopps seems a master at this.

EDIT: And the parent/child analogy could be an entirely different discussion, but I'm sure I'd be an outlier on those ideas - and a total bore (more than usual I mean).

red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,834 posts | 67 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #464: Sep 29, 2020 06:46:01 pm
      Arsenal keeper and full backs absolutely bricking it when Mane was near,could not believe the keeper trying to play the ball out all the time when clearly did not have the skills ,very impressed by the lads attitude and performance last night ,and what a subs bench we have too !
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #465: Sep 29, 2020 09:08:52 pm
      We have set the bar in terms of pressing teams as they play out from the back. Arteta said as much after the game.Other managers will use us as a template without referring directly to us.

Playing out from the back is about possession but there is also the issues regarding constant heading of the ball. This issue has helped lead the game into a more pure game of football.

Big boot managers like fat Sam have rightly left the game. Used to say you had to kick your way out of the chempionship but thanks to clubs like Brentford and others, that league is now more about skill than it ever was.

Looking forward to see if we can out play the rest with skill and tactics. Made a cracking start.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #466: Oct 01, 2020 11:51:25 am
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #467: Oct 01, 2020 12:49:12 pm

Yes these swarm tactics are very effective. Wasn't always the way as forwards generally came off the gas to conserve strength but because teams now play out from the back it's an opportunity to get something. Very difficult to keep this high press swarm going right thu the second half so we need a strong bench to freshen up the front 3.

I said a few years back that we need an "off the ball" coach.That side of the game wasn't given enough consideration, now it is.Becoming a vital part of the game. Still needs further refinement but we are leading the way.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #468: Oct 01, 2020 12:55:27 pm
      We have set the bar in terms of pressing teams as they play out from the back. Arteta said as much after the game.Other managers will use us as a template without referring directly to us.

Playing out from the back is about possession but there is also the issues regarding constant heading of the ball. This issue has helped lead the game into a more pure game of football.

Big boot managers like fat Sam have rightly left the game. Used to say you had to kick your way out of the chempionship but thanks to clubs like Brentford and others, that league is now more about skill than it ever was.

Looking forward to see if we can out play the rest with skill and tactics. Made a cracking start.

Remember when Sam said Jürgen "must be a soft German" ?  ;D

What's Sam doing with himself now?
      Kopite78
      Reply #469: Oct 01, 2020 01:03:51 pm

I prefer not to think... but I imagine hes using gravy as lube 😳
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #470: Oct 01, 2020 01:09:21 pm
      Remember when Sam said Jürgen "must be a soft German" ?  ;D

Think he once said " Messi...not for me, messes abart to much..."
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #471: Oct 08, 2020 08:35:30 am
      I thought after the first goal that we were in for another long, frustrating night, but within 6 minutes we were ahead, and we could start to enjoy the performance. That was after Robbo's goal that I couldn't celebrate, as I initially thought he handled the ball when he got it and it would be ruled out. His modest celebration suggested it also. Obviously now, it wasn't handball, but like with many of these things you only see them from replays, not at the time. I initially thought the third goal was a shot just wide, so it was a surprise when it went in the net instead. Great way to start his career here, hopefully the first of many. Goals that is.

30 years ago, Keane's first club game in English football was for Forest in Anfield. He said he wouldn't open the curtains to watch us a number of years ago. This time Jürgen, who is the best coach in world football, confronted him directly for something else he said about us. But expecting an ex manc to praise us is always going to be a big ask, no matter how good we are.

Quick Reply