Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

Pre-Match: Liverpool v Arsenal (Again), EFL Cup (Thurs.1st October 19:45 KO)

Read 4566 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Pre-Match: Liverpool v Arsenal (Again), EFL Cup (Thurs.1st October 19:45 KO)
      Sep 29, 2020 01:18:28 pm
      So fewer than 72 hours after putting in a strong performance to beat Arsenal in a league match, Liverpool face the Gunners again at Anfield, this time in the EFL Cup.

Last week Jürgen made 10 changes to the team from the previous match (when he had more time between games) Last year he made between 8-11 changes to the starting XI for every single Cup match we played. With Villa coming up in the league Sunday in even less time from the end of this one, I expect Jürgen will go full rotation again.

Lineup certainties:
      I think we see Adrian in goal, Neco Williams at right back and Kostas Tsimikas at left back.
      James Milner and Curtis Jones will start in midfield.
      Diogo Jota and Taki Minamino will also start, either in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 (in which case Taki would be the central attacking midfielder).

Lineup Uncertainties
      After that I'm not so sure about the other four starting positions. Last week Fabinho and Virgil split the game at one center half, with Rhys Williams at the other making his first team debut. But now Fab, Virgil and Joe Gomez have all played 90 minutes just last night. Joe in particular is coming off an injury, but Fab and Virgil probably could both use night off. Joel Matip is still out injured, but using Rhys, 17-year old Billy Koumetio and/or Sepp Van Den Berg to play the two center half positions seems extremely risky, no matter who Arsenal decide to use in the game.

Then there is the third midfield spot. Does Jürgen go with Shaqiri again, or does Marko Grujic get the nod after a good outing last week? Shaq could also play in a front three, but then there may be no room Divock Origi and/or Harvey Elliott.

Obviously a much tougher task than last week vs. Lincoln. What do you think Reds? How is Jürgen going to play it?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool v Arsenal (Again), EFL Cup (Thurs.1st October 19:45 KO)
      Reply #1: Sep 29, 2020 01:26:02 pm
                                    Adrian

Neco            Joe           Rhys W     Tsmiskas

Jones   Milner Gruij

Shaq         Minamino      Jota

Subs: Kelleher Virg Trent  Naby Eliott Origi Mo
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool v Arsenal (Again), EFL Cup (Thurs.1st October 19:45 KO)
      Reply #2: Sep 29, 2020 01:26:18 pm
      Probably wrong of me to say this, but I'd really prefer to concentrate on the league and champions league

To be blunt, really don't give a sh*t about this cup.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #3: Sep 29, 2020 01:33:40 pm
      Im greedy I want it all
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,070 posts | 1615 
      Reply #4: Sep 29, 2020 01:50:50 pm
      Should want to win everything we enter the CB area the only issue everywhere else covered bearing in mind Arsenal will make changes also
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #5: Sep 29, 2020 01:51:22 pm
      Would love a trip to Wembley & a "cup final" but with everything that's going on there's probably 0 chance of that happening via the League Cup due to the final being played in February, so this competition has lost a lot of it's pull

Obviously love us to win it but won't be too arsed if we get knocked out
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,207 posts | 1414 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #6: Sep 29, 2020 02:07:03 pm
                Adrian
      Neco Rhys Dijk Tsimikas
                Milner
          Grujic    Jones
                Shaqiri
         Minamino   Jota
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #7: Sep 29, 2020 02:17:36 pm
      I would expect Arse to have s similar fixture pile up to ours.
      Don’t think Auba will play after seeing him limping last night. Not sure how much Arteta wants it. Does he have a chance of wining anything else ? Probably not, so I’d expect him to go as strong as he can.
      As long as we don’t over do the rotation, I think we’ll still win it.
      2:1 the Red Men 😊
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,333 posts | 3360 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #8: Sep 29, 2020 04:50:31 pm
      I want us to become a bastion of invincibility,  want us to win everything
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1464 
      Reply #9: Sep 29, 2020 04:55:05 pm
      I want us to become a bastion of invincibility,  want us to win everything

We can. We have good bunch players who can step up when called upon. We just know how to win don’t we?
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1464 
      Reply #10: Sep 29, 2020 05:13:45 pm
      Probably wrong of me to say this, but I'd really prefer to concentrate on the league and champions league

To be blunt, really don't give a sh*t about this cup.

There’s no right or wrong. It’s your own opinion and preference. If you don’t prioritise this, so be it. It’s not the biggest trophy and prize money anyway. Let’s just say your ambitions are on the bigger prizes. You do not lack ambition at all... in that sense.

Even if we play our bench, we could still win it. It was so sweet our kids beat those blueshites next door.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #11: Sep 29, 2020 05:55:20 pm
      I think Virgil is still a human being and we saw in the last few games last season that is subject to a little fatigue. He shouldn't  be asked to play every single match.
      Scottbot

• 9,537 posts | 2126 
      Reply #12: Sep 29, 2020 09:08:07 pm
      Obviously the dilemma is at centre half. Play the kids at both spots and there’s a good chance we lose no matter who is in front of them. So then you play one of Gomez, VVD or Fab but you risk them fir the weekend. I’d like to see us have a cup run this season but clearly we need another senior centre half if we’re serious about, particularly given the condensed season. I suspect we will see one if the senior CBS in the first half and the other in the 2nd. The rest of the side should be decent enough.

I like this tournament, it’s been devalued over the years but LFC have won it more than any other club and it would be great to win it again I also think it’s a great proving ground For the young lads specifically Williams and Elliott (and regretfully not Brewster)
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,628 posts | 1551 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #13: Sep 29, 2020 09:59:33 pm

I like this tournament, it’s been devalued over the years but LFC have won it more than any other club and it would be great to win it again I also think it’s a great proving ground For the young lads specifically Williams and Elliott (and regretfully not Brewster)

Agree, I like this trophy too, we have always done well in the past with it and Shanks and Bob used to excel in it, like you say it's a great little competition to keep playing our youngsters and the experience is vital for them.

Home advantage is a big plus and although the team will be different on Thursday, the win last night will be at the forefront of their minds, expecting a few goals and another solid win for the redmen.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #14: Sep 30, 2020 11:28:49 am
      Ljinders handling the presser at 1230 GMT.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #15: Sep 30, 2020 01:01:48 pm
      Pep reports that Tsimikas is not available. It also didn't sound like Billy Koumetio is very likely to play, so I guess that is Virgil or Joe alongside Rhys Williams and then maybe Robbo or Milner at left back.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,803 posts | 4909 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #16: Sep 30, 2020 04:41:32 pm
      If recent reports are correct I’d be tempted to play thus.....

Adrian

Neco   Gomez  Koumetio  Milner

Fabinho
              Grujic                        Jones
                           Minamino
               Origi                        Jota

Bench; Kelleher, Trent, Gini, Shaq, Elliot, Mo, Mane

Anyone’s guess but I like that, it’s unlikely Billy will make his bow, but never say never, I’m guessing Arteta will rotate but to what extent, hence me opting for a bit more experience than usual, I’m not to enamoured about the carrierbag cup, but since were in it may as well give it a proper go.

3-2 Champions

Y  N  W  A
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #17: Sep 30, 2020 06:47:22 pm
      Don't want to keep banging on about CB, but if we had options there, think we could challenge in all comps. We have the players in all other positions - but for CB, would prioritise PL/CL, and ideally not play VVD/Gomez if at all possible in EFL/FA.  If we still had Lovren for example, he'd be playing in both these comps. How could we justify either of those 2 getting injured in EFL/FA?  Bad enough if we loose one for a period of time in a PL/CL match.

If both sides dip into the squad, we win again imho. But Arse will probably use more of their more senior guys than we will.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #18: Sep 30, 2020 09:33:47 pm
                                    Adrian

Neco            Joe           Rhys W     Tsmiskas

Jones   Milner Gruij

Shaq         Minamino      Jota

Subs: Kelleher Virg Trent  Naby Eliott Origi Mo

Milly to left full, Shaq in mid Origi up top
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #19: Oct 01, 2020 07:18:04 am
      Will this still go ahead with the new lockdown in place. I know there are different travel arrangements and the clubs also have their bubbles. But what about officialdom, could government legislation put a stop to   it ?
      I’m hoping not, anyone got any inside info on this ?
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #20: Oct 01, 2020 09:51:55 am
      Will this still go ahead with the new lockdown in place. I know there are different travel arrangements and the clubs also have their bubbles. But what about officialdom, could government legislation put a stop to   it ?
      I’m hoping not, anyone got any inside info on this ?

The local one? That's been in place since Tuesday last week. Or are you on about a different lockdown? (Honestly can't keep up with them at the minute! ;D)

Either way I think the football will be sound. The procedures are in place now so that even if we go do into a stricter national lockdown football should be able to continue
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,434 posts | 1731 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #21: Oct 01, 2020 10:27:34 am
      I want a win tonight, and a big win, the squad is very very strong, we can go all the way.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,434 posts | 1731 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #22: Oct 01, 2020 10:28:26 am
      Tsmiskas is injured btw, robbo might start, or milner at LB.

Quick Reply