Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Champions League Group Stage Draw 2020/21

Read 9257 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Re: Champions League Group Stage Draw - Thursday at 4 p.m. GMT
      Reply #69: Oct 02, 2020 12:09:05 pm
      I think the Atalanta game would have been at the San Siro too because their stadium is currently undergoing renovation

Yea and would have been a great away for those who go with the San Siro due for demolition.

Done a tour a few years back and remains my favourite stadium after ours.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #70: Oct 02, 2020 12:16:26 pm

Does that mean you like the draw.  ;D
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #71: Oct 02, 2020 12:49:10 pm
      Wouldnt take this group lightly. Were the team with the big target on our back. Ajax and Atalanta 2 very good sides and the Danes will be no mugs. Weve struggled at similar clubs before
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #72: Oct 02, 2020 12:52:16 pm
      Wouldnt take this group lightly. Were the team with the big target on our back. Ajax and Atalanta 2 very good sides and the Danes will be no mugs. Weve struggled at similar clubs before

Completely agree mate, don’t be easy by any means
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #73: Oct 02, 2020 01:16:35 pm
      Yea and would have been a great away for those who go with the San Siro due for demolition.

Done a tour a few years back and remains my favourite stadium after ours.

A mate who went Inter away when Torres scored said the exact same.

Did a little holiday in Milan about 4 years ago and stupidly didn't go and see it. Regret that decision even more now that it's going to be knocked down!
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #74: Oct 02, 2020 01:26:59 pm
      I think we got a good draw, looking forward to the Atalanta games as it should be open and lots of attacking football as well with Ajax.

Not going to be a cake walk but we avoided what could of been more difficult group.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #75: Oct 02, 2020 01:27:24 pm
      Did a little holiday in Milan about 4 years ago and stupidly didn't go and see it. Regret that decision even more now that it's going to be knocked down!

Went to Rome a couple of years ago and had my lad with me and was thinking of going to the stadium there but from what I remember it looked miles away from the centre and wasn't on the metro so I lazily swerved it and went to see one of the dead popes in the Vatican instead.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #76: Oct 02, 2020 07:39:42 pm
      A mate who went Inter away when Torres scored said the exact same.

Yea we stayed in Milan for 2 nights after a week at Lake Garda and done the tour then. Was always on my list as it's s unique and didn't disappoint.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #77: Oct 02, 2020 07:40:20 pm
      Everyone talking about going to Italy when most match-goers are really gutted about missing Amsterdam!!

That away with the redmen would be F***ing boss!
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #78: Oct 02, 2020 08:39:32 pm
      Confirmed:

Ajax (a)
      Mitdylland (h)
      Atalanta (a)
      Atalanta (h)
      Ajax (h)
      Mitdylland (a)

Wed-Tues-Tues-Wed-Tues-Wed
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #79: Oct 02, 2020 08:42:52 pm
      Ajax..ah takes me back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyJD8m4x-vI&ab_channel=AdrianHoughton

Should clean up against Ajax, Atalanta and Midy shouldn't tax us to much. Good draw.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #80: Oct 02, 2020 08:45:15 pm
      Looking forward to the Ajax ties. Id have a lot of respect for them as a club and their history
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #81: Oct 03, 2020 06:28:59 am
      Everyone talking about going to Italy when most match-goers are really gutted about missing Amsterdam!!

That away with the redmen would be f**king boss!

Slag  ;D
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #82: Oct 03, 2020 08:48:49 am

Would never see aussie red ever again
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #83: Oct 03, 2020 08:52:28 pm
      Have we only met Ajax in 1966? Think they beat us 5-1 at Anfield?? Never met in the 70s?
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #84: Oct 04, 2020 05:36:53 pm
      Have we only met Ajax in 1966? Think they beat us 5-1 at Anfield?? Never met in the 70s?

That was 5-1 away..in the fog in Amsterdam..the home leg ended 2-2..
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #85: Oct 07, 2020 03:00:27 am

Clear the f**k up Covid so me and Crouchie can try to get to that game! Would be a ripping trip in many senses of the word. Hahahah

Would never see aussie red ever again

:D :D xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

Spot on!

Although I did make it out of there once! :D

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #86: Oct 08, 2020 08:17:25 am
      Quote from Harrisimo
      Ajax..ah takes me back.

Should clean up against Ajax, Atalanta and Midy shouldn't tax us to much. Good draw.

We said that about the group last year. That went to the last game.

Ajax were 1 minute from facing us in Madrid, and away in front of their fans in the first game, is going to be tough. Atalanta got further than us last season, and they'll also have a home crowd for it. The Danes are the Gent of the group. But they scored 4 goals in the last half hour in their qualifier against Prague. Losing the tie with 10 minutes to go, they scored 3 in the last 10 minutes, the first from a penalty for one of "those" handballs, and the saved penalty retaken after the keeper went walkies off the line. But they look like the novices they are, and ideally we'll get the job done before going there on the last night. At worst, this draw should guarantee European football for us after Christmas.

It is likely that all 3 opponents will have a crowd for their home games.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #87: Oct 08, 2020 01:24:28 pm
      Any of you who know all these things explain why we might have only named 7 homegrown players in the squad and only 24 in total?
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #88: Oct 08, 2020 01:34:29 pm
      Any of you who know all these things explain why we might have only named 7 homegrown players in the squad and only 24 in total?

I think the rules are that you can have a maximum of 25 players, and if you do, 8 of those will need to be homegrown. If you don't select 8 homegrown players then you'll need to leave a space in your squad to compensate for not hitting the quota (IE - if we only selected 6 homegrown players then we'd only be able to have a 23 man squad etc)

Players under the age of 21 can still play without being registered, which probably explains why they haven't just thrown one of the homegrown u23 lads in to make the numbers up

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #89: Oct 08, 2020 01:45:09 pm
      I think the rules are that you can have a maximum of 25 players, and if you do, 8 of those will need to be homegrown. If you don't select 8 homegrown players then you'll need to leave a space in your squad to compensate for not hitting the quota (IE - if we only selected 6 homegrown players then we'd only be able to have a 23 man squad etc)

Players under the age of 21 can still play without being registered, which probably explains why they haven't just thrown one of the homegrown u23 lads in to make the numbers up

Is there a benefit to not naming 25 players? Like signing a player in the Jan window, can they become the 25th player if not previiusly involved with another club?

Just curious as Wilson could have been named as the 25th player and 8th homegrown so by not naming him or another weve a spot left
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #90: Oct 08, 2020 01:59:51 pm
      Is there a benefit to not naming 25 players? Like signing a player in the Jan window, can they become the 25th player if not previiusly involved with another club?

Just curious as Wilson could have been named as the 25th player and 8th homegrown so by not naming him or another weve a spot left

They'll have a second registration in February after the winter window closes & I think you're allowed to amend your squad however you like as long as you keep in line with the quotas & squad size rules

No idea why they've omitted Wilson. Seems a strange one, like. Unless he's being lined up for a loan move abroad or something
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #91: Oct 08, 2020 04:00:36 pm
      Liverpool confirm Champions League squad with Xherdan Shaqiri in but midfielder missing
      Liverpool have registered a 24-man squad for the initial phase of the Champions League this season

ByTheo Squires
      11:25, 8 OCT 2020

Liverpool have registered a 24-man squad for the 2020/21 Champions League group-stages, but there is no room for Wales international Harry Wilson.

The Reds are allowed to name a maximum squad of 25, with eight of those ‘locally-trained’, but Liverpool have opted to only utilise seven of those spots with James Milner, Joe Gomez, Jordan Henderson, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Caoimhin Kelleher, Trent Alexander-Arnold and Harvey Elliott all named for this year’s group-stages.

Wilson ’s absence, despite there being room in the squad for his inclusion, prompts fresh speculation about his future with the club despite remaining at Anfield after Monday’s transfer deadline day.

Meanwhile, Xherdan Shaqiri has been named in the squad despite also being linked with a Liverpool exit.

Alisson is also included despite currently being sidelined with a shoulder injury, reiterating the Reds’ hopes he will return to full fitness in four to six weeks, while summer signings Thiago Alcantara, Diogo Jota and Kostas Tsimikas have also been registered.

The likes of youngsters Curtis Jones and Neco Williams are not named, but they do not need to be to feature for Liverpool in the Champions League this season.

The duo were both born after 1 January 1998 and have been eligible to play for the club for an uninterrupted period of two years since their 15th birthdays so are eligible to be registered on List B.

In contrast, Elliott does not yet fulfill this criteria, hence the 17-year-old's inclusion in Jürgen Klopp 's announced squad.

If Liverpool progress to the Champions League knockout stages, the Reds would be able to register a maximum of three new players by February 3, but the overall limit of 25 players on List A remains.

Klopp’s side face Ajax, Atalanta and FC Midtjylland in this year’s group-stages, with German allowed to utilise five substitutes from a matchday squad of 20 for fixtures.

Liverpool’s Champions League squad in full (Home-grown players in bold):

Goalkeepers:
      Alisson Becker, Adrian, Caoimhin Kelleher.

Defenders:
      Virgil van Dijk, Joe Gomez, Kostas Tsimikas, Andy Robertson, Joel Matip, Trent Alexander-Arnold.

Midfielders:
      Fabinho, Gini Wijnaldum, Thiago Alcantara, James Milner, Naby Keita, Jordan Henderson, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Xherdan Shaqiri, Harvey Elliott.

Forwards:
      Roberto Firmino, Sadio Mane, Mohamed Salah, Takumi Minamino, Diogo Jota, Divock Origi.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-champions-league-squad-news-19070056

Quick Reply