Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

What should Liverpool want re The EFL?

Read 4109 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: What should Liverpool want re The EFL?
      Reply #23: Oct 08, 2020 07:46:25 pm
      Sounds like something from the tory handbook!!

:)

Could be a both/and situation. Charities can receive support from both public AND private sectors.

I'm starting to wonder how many professional footballers might be out of work over the next 12 months.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #24: Oct 08, 2020 09:44:13 pm
      Sounds like something from the tory handbook!!

Maybe... but clubs need the money and the fans have that money spare so just post it to the club. When things go back to normal the club can make a gesture like ‘name a seat’ after the real supporters who really saves the club.
      Instead of ‘Row A seat 164’ it can be ‘Row A seat Garner’
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Project Big Picture. What should Liverpool want re The EFL?
      Reply #25: Oct 11, 2020 07:20:18 pm
      https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/oct/11/project-big-picture-premier-league-and-efl-plan-radical-reform-to-avoid-crisis

Project Big Picture. Apparently we are one of the major architects and it does include some substantial financial assistance for EFL clubs, but also some structural changes including reducing the Premier League to 18 clubs, establishing a playoff as part of promotion/relegation, scrapping the League Cup and Community Shield, and expanding the loan program (a step toward what I mentioned about farming more players out - but not so far as establishing lower league feeder clubs a la Germany).

Not surprisingly the initial response is negative, but there's a lot of money in this for the EFL. This will get hashed out, but it should be clear to the EFL now that they need to do something creative, and just waiting for the big clubs to drop money on them isn't much of a strategy.
      Redrew
      • Forum Youth Player

• 21 posts |
      Reply #26: Oct 11, 2020 09:32:04 pm
      Wanting out of two cups.
      Desiring 4 less PL matches each year

Hmmmmm

Wonder how LFC and the other big boys would fill these empty slots?

Voila

The necessary groundwork is well underway to establish a super-league and cash super-checks.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #27: Oct 11, 2020 09:35:00 pm
      Slippery slope when you move away from the ‘one club one vote’ way of doing things.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #28: Oct 11, 2020 10:46:05 pm
      I don't think it is a bad idea to bin the league cup.  They won't accommodate the best teams anyways especially if you win the champions league.  I think it may be an idea to exempt the clubs in Europe from it.  Reducing the teams in the league is a tricky one.  Because for the last few years our league campaigns have finished 3 weeks before the Champions League final that is unacceptable for me if we really expect our teams to be in the final.   Like Jürgen has said the clubs have to represented in these things especially fixtures.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #29: Oct 11, 2020 10:59:05 pm
      Said in the other thread this move could be seen as a power grab at a time when the game is in a vulnerable position. If the big clubs had tried this in normal times it would have been seen as a 100% power grab. They have softened this with the promise of a financial package for the lower leagues.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1860125

Not to happy about it. Rick Parry, chair of the EFL, said it's in footballs best interest. Parry who was once our CEO and was also CEO of the Premier League. They're not happy with him either.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #30: Oct 11, 2020 11:08:30 pm
      I don't think it is a bad idea to bin the league cup.  They won't accommodate the best teams anyways especially if you win the champions league.  I think it may be an idea to exempt the clubs in Europe from it.  Reducing the teams in the league is a tricky one.  Because for the last few years our league campaigns have finished 3 weeks before the Champions League final that is unacceptable for me if we really expect our teams to be in the final.   Like Jürgen has said the clubs have to represented in these things especially fixtures.

Just be the Prem won't play the league cup. The reduction to 18 clubs will enable the big clubs throughout Europe to expand the Champions league and rake in huge TV audiences. The timing of this is a bit cynical but they must've been discussing and planning this move for some time. £250m package, if it's an even split...£13m a season. Not a huge price to pay for a power grab is it.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #31: Oct 11, 2020 11:26:37 pm
      They are expanding the world club championship too.  But if it doesn't reward successful teams then there is no gain.   There is an expansion in CL that like you said has been discussed.   There is an increase in fixxtures on the horizon so trim a little domestically could well be a good thing.  But if we finish the season more than 2 weeks before the champions league final then it won't benefit us winning the thing in fact I think it should be 1 week before the final but 2 at the most.  But feel as if they are working closely with national team interest.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #32: Oct 12, 2020 12:37:26 am
      Really don't see how this can be implemented with the current pl voting set up
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #33: Oct 12, 2020 02:46:59 am
      The expansion of the world and European competitions is happening anyway, as is the gravitating of more money to the biggest clubs. That is just reality.

This plan provides an ongoing mechanism to keep the Football League economically viable as that happens.

But those revenues are being driven by certain clubs, and those aren't Crystal Palace and Fulham, they just aren't. So consolidating the controlling interest in those leading clubs fits in with the rest of it. In fact, if one club one vote is retained, they'll never agree to anything that looks past helping themselves.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #34: Oct 12, 2020 01:51:28 pm
      Not sure how this proposal would ever get approved as you are basically asking a bunch of clubs to give up power and trust you with it.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #35: Oct 12, 2020 07:49:17 pm
      Really don't see how this can be implemented with the current pl voting set up

££££££££££££££££

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #36: Oct 13, 2020 05:28:43 am
      ££££££££££££££££

So they need 14 Premier League votes to make changes. The plan forms a 9-team group to make major decisions and have veto power under the new setup.(2/3 vote). I can see a group of 5 clubs being approached and promised an amendment to include them more in the decision-making apparatus. Newcastle, Villa, Leicester and a couple of others.

Sounds like there is a meeting this week.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #37: Oct 13, 2020 08:47:18 pm
      Piss poor effort from the club for me.
      Dragonmark
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 50 posts | 28 
      Reply #38: Oct 15, 2020 03:01:38 am
      The premier league have a duty of care and good will to help out however they can, rumours of conditions such as a strict salary cap and no relegation in case of the season being abandoned are utterly pathetic. This not our problem attitude sums up modern football and life in general

I think it's more the duty of the FA and the government to prevent owners with very questionable funds from easily obtaining ownership of these smaller clubs. There needs to be better regulation on club ownership and its literally killing smaller clubs. Heck, this almost happened to Leeds. Liverpool can toss all the money at the Bury's of the world but until corrupt owners are required to prove their financial stability prior to owning clubs, they will continue to need support from everyone. Its the FA's job, and they failed miserably.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #39: Oct 15, 2020 11:33:52 am
      I think it's more the duty of the FA and the government to prevent owners with very questionable funds from easily obtaining ownership of these smaller clubs. There needs to be better regulation on club ownership and its literally killing smaller clubs. Heck, this almost happened to Leeds. Liverpool can toss all the money at the Bury's of the world but until corrupt owners are required to prove their financial stability prior to owning clubs, they will continue to need support from everyone. Its the FA's job, and they failed miserably.

The power and money is now the premier league, agree fit and proper tests should be tougher but again it's not really in the fa remit now

Quick Reply