Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Rhian Brewster (Sheffield United)

Read 4075 times
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Re: Rhian Brewster (Sheffield United)
      Reply #23: Oct 02, 2020 11:45:18 am
      Oh no.. you're not one of those are you? 🤦‍♂️

Afraid so, got it in my late 20s I think in hindsight was a bad thing but now lumbered with it. Me bad.  :couch:
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #24: Oct 02, 2020 12:02:51 pm
      Personally speaking would have only let Brewster leave on loan to a pl club and then assess how he did in 12 months time like Harry Wilson.

To be fair the terms of the deal pretty much make it a three year loan deal, except we get a big sum of money up front... if he turns out amazing in those three years, we have the buyback, if he doesn’t, oh well, we have £25 million...
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #25: Oct 02, 2020 12:03:20 pm
      Does he? How many full games have you sat down and watched him play to come to that conclusion?

Very few being honest but he looked good in pre season off the back of a very good loan spell with Swans.

Time will tell how good he is I guess.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #26: Oct 02, 2020 12:04:32 pm
      Very few being honest but he looked good in pre season off the back of a very good loan spell with Swans.

Time will tell how good he is I guess.

I fancy him to score 10-15 goals this season with them.

Seems like a good move all around as with Jota and Minamino he wouldn't have had much look in this season here.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #27: Oct 02, 2020 12:14:56 pm
      I fancy him to score 10-15 goals this season with them.

If what you says comes  true and scores that many goals then 100% mistake to let him go. Time will tell.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #28: Oct 02, 2020 12:20:44 pm
      If what you says comes  true and scores that many goals then 100% mistake to let him go. Time will tell.

Not a mistake if he wasn't going to get the same opportunity with us and if he didn't fit into the way we play.
      Kopite78
      Reply #29: Oct 02, 2020 12:21:50 pm

Why is it a mistake?

If he goes away and scores those goals then he has developed with regular game time and then we can get him back with the buy back

He wouldn't get those goals staying here this season

If he gets those goals it makes it genius not a mistake

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #30: Oct 02, 2020 12:24:53 pm
      Not a mistake if he wasn't going to get the same opportunity with us and if he didn't fit into the way we play.

Yeah I see your point if not getting the same opportunity.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #31: Oct 02, 2020 12:32:57 pm
      A three year buy back option just means another club takes the gamble on his development.

I'm OK with that.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Rhian Brewster Player Thread
      Reply #32: Oct 02, 2020 01:32:39 pm
      Honestly how genius is Michael Edwards??

We get 23.5 million to allow another club develop one of our players...If he develops well we can buy him back, most likelybat a good price, and if he proves not up to it weve bagged good money.....oh and if his new club decide to sell him because hes nit good enough or because a huge offer comes in, we get a cut of that to!!!

And for a lad who would have seen very little game time here.....Edwards is different gravy
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #33: Oct 02, 2020 01:41:58 pm
      $23M for an unproven (with potential) player like Brewster? Wow, i was not expecting that kind of money.

Good news for Brewster is if Sheff are paying that kind of coin they will certainly give him time on the field.

It seems all the terms are in our favor: high price, buy back option for 3 years and 15% sell-on clause.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #34: Oct 02, 2020 01:58:01 pm
      £23.5M!

Fans not allowed in stadiums and football clubs still able to throw the dollar around!

I remember a while back working out that they could let all supporters in for free every game and have a tenner stuck to each seat and they still wouldn't go bust.

I'm convinced now that Michael Edwards has written a computer virus and has every manager in Europe's web browser history.  It's the only logical conclusion.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #35: Oct 02, 2020 03:11:41 pm
      Shrewd move for all parties concerned and I think Brewster will develop under Chris Wilder..
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #36: Oct 02, 2020 04:23:35 pm
      Good for both parties. Brewster was never much of a player, but was over hyped like most of our academy players.

He needs to take this opportunity to push on though.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #37: Oct 02, 2020 04:50:29 pm
      It's a good deal, even though I had hopes for Brewster to break through with us this year. When we bought Jota it seemed pretty evident that Brewster wasn't going to feature with us this season. I think Jürgen more or less said it is the pressing game where he didn't manage to excel, despite his good goal-scoring record.

AT our level, it's fine margins that separate those who make it and those who do not. Watching our game Monday compared to yesterday, you see just how lethal our pressing game is (Monday). Take that away and we're not nearly as potent. It's what we do. If a player isn't quite up to speed in that area, it's an issue. Taki and Diogo look very much the part there. Divock is settled as a backup.

Hopefully Rhian does well with Sheffield United. I know we have the buy-back, but I'd say the odds are very long that he ever returns to Liverpool. That's OK.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #38: Oct 02, 2020 05:39:15 pm
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #39: Oct 02, 2020 07:16:55 pm
      I've got mixed feelings about this one.

Pro's

- We've just got 23 million for a player who has scored 11 goals in the Championship and i think possibly one, maybe 2 senior goals for LFC
      - The sell-on could be another earner in the future
      - The buy-back means we could get the lad back if he blossoms and others are in for him in a year or two
      - He clearly isn't quite Klopp's cup of tea, is very much a box player and not the false 9 that we play with in Bobby (and with Taki as understudy)
      - Ings wasn't quite what Klopp wanted, he went and scored more Prem goals than any of our lads last season but we all know he would have struggled for match time at LFC had he stayed
      - It's a good price for a lad who probably won't figure much this season
      - I don't think he would have been happy to sit on the bench and play in the cups, you can tell he just wants to play
      - Got to trust the manager on this. We're not looking to loan out or sell young Curtis Jones because the manager believes in him. simple as that.

Cons
      - A year long loan was a better option, if this lad is a hit he probably adds 15 million to that price tag in one season (that's how it is with English players)
      - Still not convinced on Minamino, had we kept him, Brewster's goals might have forced him in to the team
      - He shone at Swansea, he shone at the Under-17 World Cup and he looked very good in pre-season for LFC. We might be letting an absolute gem go here.

I played my wildcard in fantasy footy last week and brought him in, he's a bargain at £4.5 mill and will go into my team for the weekend!
      « Last Edit: Oct 02, 2020 07:23:03 pm by Scottbot »
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #40: Oct 02, 2020 09:44:11 pm
      All in all a good deal for all concerned
      Kopite78
      Reply #41: Oct 02, 2020 10:30:13 pm
      Good luck Rhian

See you in a couple of years lad
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #42: Oct 02, 2020 10:32:10 pm
      Hope he bangs in some goals and is back in Liverpool red in a couple of years.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #43: Oct 03, 2020 06:04:49 am
      I think the important element here is the development of the player, Jürgen obviously recognises the talent in Rhian, the unfortunate thing is he’s about to flower at a time where the type of football he will potentially thrive in is not here at Anfield,

As has been eluded to already a Klopp system does not accommodate for a out & out striker, we don’t essentially have any strikers, we have players that will get us goals obviously but they are not strikers in the conventional sense, Rhian is, so this deal is perfect both for the player & for the clubs,

Rhian gets regular playing time, that will enhance his development, in a team that uses a striker in the conventional way, Sheffield Utd, recruit a young hungry player on the periphery of his career who could potentially be a Billy Sharp type success and more,  and become the new hero at Bramall Lane, but here is no rush, he’s a young 20 year old with fire in his belly,

Chris Wilder is no Jürgen Klopp, however, he is a very good manager who will bring the best out of Rhian with his type of football, so good luck to them both,

Personally I’d liked Rhian to stay, but I can fully understand that the lad wants to play and show the world his obvious talents, who are we to stand in his way, as for Origi, I think we are being unfair on him, he has seen it and done it and is streets ahead of Rhian, he is also more of a striker type and Jürgen has tried to fit him into his system, he can’t, hence him being on the bench most of the time, Origi knows he probably isn’t in Jürgen’s long term plans but he is still under contract, I feel for the lad because you cannot expect him to play his best when he only gets 10-15 mins in a normal match day, same when he’s asked to play in domestic cup fixtures, he cannot get to show consistency when you don’t get to play often enough,

To me it’s a win win all round, everyone is happy and most importantly is Rhian.

Good Luck Lad,  ynwa.

Y  N  W  A

Quick Reply