Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Villa?

Adrián
      6 (7.1%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      2 (2.4%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      15 (17.9%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1.2%)
      Naby Keïta
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      49 (58.3%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Diogo Jota
      7 (8.3%)
      James Milner
      3 (3.6%)
      Curtis Jones
      0 (0%)
      Takumi Minamino
      1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Voting closed: Oct 08, 2020 09:09:40 pm

Aston Villa 7-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 28843 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2765 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Aston Villa 7-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #897: Oct 04, 2020 11:19:01 pm
      After the game Bob said " there's no room at this club for fly by nights"..but in truth he knew it was a freak result. It has no meaning with regard to today's game.

For fans it does. It highlighrs the fact tht even the finest teams take a beating, it doesnt mean its all over...thst side in 76, look st the names, took a beating, did they fold, no they went on to win the league and european cup and funny enough after tonight, were a deflection away from thr FA cup....peiople must realise defeat is ok it happens, hidings are not ok but sonetimes they happen.For all the greats, us, utd, Real, Barce, Bayern, Milan. All at some point got a kick in the bollix and learned from it not collapse
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #898: Oct 04, 2020 11:35:44 pm
      F**k that's bad news on Alisson, i honestly think we have go get another keeper. Adrian did well early last season but has been terrible ever since and his confidence will be absolutely shot now. The error vs Atletico and this one tonight are right up there with Karius.

Yep it's a real problem now and we either back him to the hilt and try and make him feel better or we run around tomorrow and try and find another which seems like a panic move but in the end may be what's needed.

Joe Gomez is another one who has needed a rocket up his arse for months from the end of last season into the start of this one. Not sure what hes doing at the moment but we have to focus on centre half very soon as a position to strengthen. The bloke is getting worse not better as he is meant to be progressing through his career.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,171 posts | 1384 
      Reply #899: Oct 04, 2020 11:36:58 pm
      For fans it does. It highlighrs the fact tht even the finest teams take a beating, it doesnt mean its all over...thst side in 76, look st the names, took a beating, did they fold, no they went on to win the league and european cup and funny enough after tonight, were a deflection away from thr FA cup....peiople must realise defeat is ok it happens, hidings are not ok but sonetimes they happen.For all the greats, us, utd, Real, Barce, Bayern, Milan. All at some point got a kick in the bollix and learned from it not collapse

Today's result was more about our tactics. We helped Villa by not pressing and swarming but it's very difficult to do that week in week out. We were to high throughout the games. This was an away game against a team that have pace and are on form. Yes the Adrian screw up didn't help but we have to be little bit more aware. Our defense has to be more than press and if we lose possession the flag will save us.

Teams will target our high line. Villa trained for it and it served them well. But in truth it wasn't difficult.They got thru at will. We don't play a sweeper so we will have to drop off, defend 10 yards deeper.

The result in 76 was just a bad night, this is different and if we don't defend the space in behind better then bad results will happen to often.
      solodee

• 6,033 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #900: Oct 04, 2020 11:37:27 pm
      Against our last opponent before today, Adrian he had a good game.

The defence did him in. 3 deflected shots?

Adrian was bad for 2 goals only.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #901: Oct 04, 2020 11:40:07 pm

2 goals only?

Alisson is bad for about 2 goals a season.
      Harrisimo

• 8,171 posts | 1384 
      Reply #902: Oct 04, 2020 11:46:59 pm

Yes but by putting us behind so early meant we had to force the pace, force the game. Soon as we go behind in any game it's like an affront to our dignity, our supremacy and we go at them all guns blazing and we got picked off.

Had that game stayed 0-0 for 15-20 minutes it might've been different but when we are behind we get far to high and demand a response but it backfired and we got turned over big time.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2765 
      Reply #903: Oct 04, 2020 11:47:11 pm
      Today's result was more about our tactics. We helped Villa by not pressing and swarming but it's very difficult to do that week in week out. We were to high throughout the games. This was an away game against a team that have pace and are on form. Yes the Adrian screw up didn't help but we have to be little bit more aware. Our defense has to be more than press and if we lose possession the flag will save us.

Teams will target our high line. Villa trained for it and it served them well. But in truth it wasn't difficult.They got thru at will. We don't play a sweeper so we will have to drop off, defend 10 yards deeper.

The result in 76 was just a bad night, this is different and if we don't defend the space in behind better then bad results will happen to often.

If our high line was the issue, it will be sorted. If its atitude it will be sorted. If it was an off night it happens. Point being all great sides take defeats like this.

Tonight could in theory be a blessing. Im trying to highlight to people that from nights like this things can still work out very well, it doesnt have to be doom and gloom
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,138 posts | 1084 
      Reply #904: Oct 04, 2020 11:48:49 pm
      Just wondering WTF is up with TAA. He hasn't looked good for more than one game in a while. In a lot of ways he embodies us since project restart, super inconsistent.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2765 
      Reply #905: Oct 04, 2020 11:53:01 pm
      Just wondering WTF is up with TAA. He hasn't looked good for more than one game in a while. In a lot of ways he embodies us since project restart, super inconsistent.

was always a great talent but questionable defender for me
      Harrisimo

• 8,171 posts | 1384 
      Reply #906: Oct 04, 2020 11:57:46 pm
      If our high line was the issue, it will be sorted. If its atitude it will be sorted. If it was an off night it happens. Point being all great sides take defeats like this.

Tonight could in theory be a blessing. Im trying to highlight to people that from nights like this things can still work out very well, it doesnt have to be doom and gloom

Yes, a correction sometimes isn't a bad thing. I thought the Leeds game preped us. Today was as bad as it gets. If it was 4-2 we could brush it off.Now the Boss knows a bit of a reset will be needed. He knows we won't play as bad nor have such bad luck with deflections but he also knows we have to learn from this. Bielsa didn't say "you are at your best when you lose" for nothing. Time for the Boss to earn his corn.
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,523 posts | 388 
      Reply #907: Oct 05, 2020 12:22:25 am
      thoughts....

it felt like a day when absolutely everything goes wrong and everything falls apart. 3 deflected goals ffs?!?!
      im worried about Adrian being in goal for the next month...
      defensively we were absolutely horrific.everyone calling out gomez is ridiculous, he was bad, they all were and yes that includes Virgil. we are allowed to criticise him too....
      we miss Henderson.
      Carragher is absolutely dreadful when he commentates on our games.
      villa were great. Had no idea Watkins was that good. just shows theres great talent in the championsip..
      referee was absolutely tragic as usual. how the F**k is that not a pen on Salah?!
      it feels like were living in this weird virtual football world. just doesnt seem right. Need fans back so badly.

we'll beat everton.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #908: Oct 05, 2020 12:29:07 am
      That was rough to watch, reminded me of the Spurs games when Lovren got subbed out at half time. It was a combination of indiviual errors, very poor midfield (firmino as well) who lost the ball too many times in bad postions and bad luck with all the deflections.

This game will leave a sour taste in club mouth over the next couple weeks. 9 out 12 points from the first 4 games given the fixture is a decent return, just wouldn't think dropped points come from 7-2 trashing
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,384 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #909: Oct 05, 2020 12:29:48 am
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,229 posts | 6355 
      Reply #910: Oct 05, 2020 02:28:48 am
      The high line ruined us today and it’s because Allison wasn’t in there. With him back there the whole thing works.

Klopp probably should have switched tactics once he saw they were going to exploit it.

Maybe a bit stubborn?

Either way, I don’t see it happening again without the proper adjustments.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #911: Oct 05, 2020 02:53:28 am
      My MOTM goes to Tim Howard for mentioning my mother’s death last night.

Tim and I go way back growing up in the same town in New Jersey.

Having a difficult time right now
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,753 posts | 460 
      Reply #912: Oct 05, 2020 03:32:28 am

I grew up in East Brunswick, although I graduated in 1991, I think Howard was class of 1996? He was an incredible athlete, one of my friends at work played basketball with him. 
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #913: Oct 05, 2020 03:59:09 am
      Firmino, Gomez, TAA, Wijnaldum were so poor today. They did not do the simple thigs right. Firmino lost so many balls. Gomez and TAA could not defend for their lives. Adrian, not good enough. I've said it several times. He's a liability.

Positives: Jota tried his best. Salah scored two good goals.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #914: Oct 05, 2020 04:05:29 am
      Playing such a high defense is new, right?
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,138 posts | 1084 
      Reply #915: Oct 05, 2020 04:13:53 am
      Firmino, Gomez, TAA, Wijnaldum were so poor today. They did not do the simple thigs right. Firmino lost so many balls. Gomez and TAA could not defend for their lives. Adrian, not good enough. I've said it several times. He's a liability.

Positives: Jota tried his best. Salah scored two good goals.

You will probably have your account blocked for saying Bobby played poorly. It was good knowing u dude.

I love the guy, but he's been our worst player for sometime now. Sloppy doesn't even begin to describe him on the ball. FL will tell us about his assist, but will ignore all the shitty turn overs that put us on the back foot. Im hoping he can turn it around, but if Klopp can get Mini up to speed it may be time to see him in that role for a while.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #916: Oct 05, 2020 05:46:50 am
      Just woke up. Mad dream by the way.

Anyway, what did i miss?
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #917: Oct 05, 2020 05:48:22 am

Big love, mate 👍
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #918: Oct 05, 2020 07:09:20 am
      Fuk what a nightmare been stewing on it all day and it’s just as raw as it was when the game finished this morning.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,404 posts | 1459 
      Reply #919: Oct 05, 2020 07:35:11 am
      Fuk what a nightmare been stewing on it all day and it’s just as raw as it was when the game finished this morning.
      Think a fair few of us will be stewing in it for the best part of this week,you don’t get over a mauling like that so easily.
      Going to be a long arse week for a fair few of us.

Quick Reply