Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Villa?

Adrián
      6 (7.1%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      2 (2.4%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      15 (17.9%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1.2%)
      Naby Keïta
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      49 (58.3%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Diogo Jota
      7 (8.3%)
      James Milner
      3 (3.6%)
      Curtis Jones
      0 (0%)
      Takumi Minamino
      1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Voting closed: Oct 08, 2020 09:09:40 pm

Aston Villa 7-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 28376 times
      Benladdie3000
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 92 posts | 19 
      Re: Aston Villa 7-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #920: Oct 05, 2020 07:40:58 am
      Firmino needs dropping. Hasnt done anything for us in a long time. As soon as mane is back put salah down the middle and jota on the right
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #921: Oct 05, 2020 07:56:13 am
      Woke up in a sweat this morning thinking how against Villa of all teams.............. think God it wasn’t against Utd!!
      Kopite78
      Reply #922: Oct 05, 2020 07:58:13 am
      Fuk what a nightmare been stewing on it all day and it’s just as raw as it was when the game finished this morning.

Feel your pain mate

Woke up like 3 times last night, first couple I was convinced it was a dream then realised, no we got done by Villa by 7
      Feel like I haven't for a long time this morning, sh*te feeling in my stomach  :-\

Bad enough I'm pissed off but my lad went to bed in tears,  mind you hes had it too easy the last 3 years, doesnt realise this side of the game  :D

F***ing football

Get it sorted Jürgen

Cheers la
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #923: Oct 05, 2020 08:13:36 am
      That empty feeling in your gut mind you it is a Monday which doesn't help cannot wait for the Derby now which I feel is massive now and more about what reaction we see
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 188 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #924: Oct 05, 2020 08:23:51 am
      (GOBSMACKED).
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #925: Oct 05, 2020 08:24:51 am
      Just woke up. Mad dream by the way.

Anyway, what did i miss?

You as well?! In mine, most of the team had their bodies inhabited by aliens who couldn't play football to save themselves. I must have a fever.

What was yours?
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #926: Oct 05, 2020 08:50:21 am
      It wasn’t a nightmare 😫😫😫
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #927: Oct 05, 2020 08:54:03 am
      The high line ruined us today and it’s because Allison wasn’t in there. With him back there the whole thing works.

I don't believe it is that simple, yes Alisson would of helped because he is good at sweeping but he wouldn't of been able to help out mid-field who lost the ball whenever they were pressed and didn't press well enough without it. Despite sometimes a lack of attacking thrust in the middle we always were good at pressing and retianing the ball. The system doesn't work when you give time and space for players to pick our runs.

TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #928: Oct 05, 2020 08:56:49 am
      Just had to F***ing laugh at that towards the end last night, it was as though my body & brain didn't have a clue how to react to what I was witnessing.

Got done by the high line last night but I'm still confident in playing that way, we seemed to bring it in at the start of last season and I think it would have had a lot to do with VAR. When every marginal offside call is going to be reviewed you can play that way but only if you're defence is fully switched on & in tune with eachother, which last night they weren't, and it also relies on having a keeper who is pro-active and anticipates balls coming over the top, and Adrian isn't that goalkeeper.

Think we maybe let the Arsenal & Chelsea performances go to our heads a bit because as I said, the back 4 seemed to drop their concentration levels and even further up the field we almost got bullied in terms of second balls and challenges. Polar opposite to the previous two league games where the ball seemed to stick to us & we didn't give the opposition an inch. Villa wanted it more last night and you could see that from the first couple of minutes. We missed Henderson's dominance in midfield and certainly Mane, who out of all of our players is the first name on the teamsheet when you know you're going to be in for a scrap

Couldn't have hoped for a better fixture to make amends than Everton though, just a shame it's 2 weeks away. Although that may work in our favour as the players can go off and refresh with their respective International teams (barring none of them pick up injuries or Coronavirus) and come back in a weeks' time on a clean slate with the 7-2 result fully behind them. Bit worried about going into the derby with Adrian in goal but it's worth remembering that their keeper is just as bad, if not worse. Just hope we tw*t the cu*ts and put them in their place because it's going to be a long two weeks of delusional gloating from them
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #929: Oct 05, 2020 08:58:07 am
      Felt like sh*t going to bed & waking up ain’t helped either.. F***ing screwing me...

That performance was criminal.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #930: Oct 05, 2020 09:37:50 am
      They had three deflections
      We had a stone wall penalty turned down at 1-0
      We were missing four first team players (Mane, Hendo, Thiago, Allison)
      Our keeper literally gave them the ball to score the first
      No pre season
      No crowds
      Villa were good
      We were terrible
      If you want to win the league you are still going to have to finish above Liverpool

It was an anomaly. A one off. We will learn more from that than Villa will.

YNWA
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #931: Oct 05, 2020 09:39:59 am
      Still waiting for Liverpool to release a statement to declare that the squad will be held back from International duty due to an outbreak of COVID-19.

We need that excuse...  ;D and the lads need to stay behind to work on their failings. Can't just walk away after that!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #932: Oct 05, 2020 09:59:54 am
      You know what, I think this is exactly what we needed, someone to bring us crashing down to earth, the last 2-3 seasons we’ve been flying, on the crest of this massive wave that seemed unstoppable, only Citeh, Watford, Atleti, and now Villa has kicked our bollocks and made us take stock of what can happen if we’re not at the races, last night being the biggest kick in the nuts for three seasons, and boy does it hurt,

There are a few factors we need to take into consideration in regards to our capitulation, the standard of goal keeping has again raised its ugly head, Adrian is a good keeper, however, he has far too many brain farts and that has cost us, I’m trying to get my head around why he threw the ball where he did first goal, I think he got confused in the moment whether he rolled it to Joe or was trying to reach Trent , ended up doing neither,

Our midfield last night got ripped to F**k, lacked leadership and were virtually non existent, Fabinho, Gini & Naby got f***in pummelled, Naby in particular was in headless chicken mode, Gini similarly but faired slightly better, and Fabinho was left like a fish up a tree,

Only Jota, Robbo, Mo came out with any distinction, even our rock steady eddy Virgil was out of sorts, Trent hasn’t been the same since before lock down, and Joe, f***in hell, where does that performance leave joe, behind Rhys Williams, with respect to Rhys, is that how much Joe has fallen ?

I’m old school, I can remember performances from the late 70’s, my memory has faded over time but I think I would remember a performance as bad as that last night, I can’t, so as good as we have been the last 2-3 seasons that last was as bad as it could possibly get,

For all of us trying to pick the bones of it, it’s impossible, I don’t think even Jürgen can explain it, you could see his bewilderment on his face when interviewed after the game, we will all have our own conclusions, we will all apportion blame, castigate certain player’s, but like our wins it’s a team effort, each and every one of those players should  feel ashamed this morning and rightly so, they should be embarrassed of that performance, the worst since Jürgen came in, many will bugger off and do their international duty, maybe that’s a good thing too, to get away from the normal for a few days, to get that out of their system,

The stay at home lot, and the COVID few will need a few days to lick their wounds, maybe spend some time with their kin, then, come back, slightly refreshed and start again from a blank canvas and...............

.........WE GO AGAIN !

Y  N  W  A
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #933: Oct 05, 2020 10:00:39 am
      Gutted still, don’t even like joking about it to be honest! Don’t buy that it’s only one bad game sh*t either it’s the manner of the defeat
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #934: Oct 05, 2020 10:08:26 am
      They had three deflections
      We had a stone wall penalty turned down at 1-0
      We were missing four first team players (Mane, Hendo, Thiago, Allison)
      Our keeper literally gave them the ball to score the first
      No pre season
      No crowds
      Villa were good
      We were terrible
      If you want to win the league you are still going to have to finish above Liverpool

It was an anomaly. A one off. We will learn more from that than Villa will.

YNWA

Yeh

still hate to lose 7-2 though.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #935: Oct 05, 2020 10:11:19 am

Conceded 7 F***ing goals in one game? I literally can’t get my head round it, I am still in a state of shock!

It’s the kind of result that could completely unravel this team.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #936: Oct 05, 2020 10:16:40 am
      Think the sheer ridiculousness of the result is helping me deal with it better. If it was 1-0 or 2-1 I'd probably be fuming & aggravated over the little details & who did what wrong. 7-2 though, F***ing hell. We were absolutely sh*te from top to bottom & that's all there is to it ;D
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #937: Oct 05, 2020 10:27:50 am
      We will never be able to erase this result from our history, but the pain will go away.

Losing 6-1 to Stoke? It is an embarrassing result but one I don't feel the slightest twinge of angst over. I doubt Spurs feel anything either, when they look back to when we battered them 7-0. Or even Soton' fans losing 9-0 at home - with crowds! That said, I think it will be a timely reminder to have a plaque on the dressing room wall that says something like "Aston Villa 7 - 2 Liverpool. That is what happens when you get complacent."

I do think not having crowds is affecting teams though. Ask City, Utd, Leicester, and Barca. Weird times.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #938: Oct 05, 2020 10:40:10 am
      Villa scored a goal for every 27 completed passes yesterday.

Liverpool scored a goal for every 227 completed passes.

I do think not having crowds is affecting teams though. Ask City, Utd, Leicester, and Barca. Weird times.

No pressure on strikers if they miss the target.  Home advantage practically wiped out as well.
      Kopite78
      Reply #939: Oct 05, 2020 10:47:33 am

I think its having a massive effect

Games played like training games, listen to it without the fake crowd noise, its literally like a training game

No pressure from crowds to react, no crowds on their back

Not saying its there all the time, but I dont think it's a coincidence that these big scores are being run up as when they start to go in heads drop and the intensity doesnt feel there
      Redangel

• 8,084 posts | 966 
      Reply #940: Oct 05, 2020 12:42:58 pm

I agree, look at Everton, it’s surely not a coincidence that they are on their best start to a season for decades!
      Even ardent Evertonians despaired of the poisonous atmosphere at Goodison. It’s heaven sent for them.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #941: Oct 05, 2020 01:02:41 pm
      I don't believe it is that simple, yes Alisson would of helped because he is good at sweeping but he wouldn't of been able to help out mid-field who lost the ball whenever they were pressed and didn't press well enough without it. Despite sometimes a lack of attacking thrust in the middle we always were good at pressing and retianing the ball. The system doesn't work when you give time and space for players to pick our runs.

Poor mistake by Adrian no doubt for first, but we came back to 2-1 and was thinking at the point, even though we haven't been at our best, we've been here before, we can do it again.
      But we went on to get hammered and don't think that was down to Adrian, from there on anyway.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #942: Oct 05, 2020 01:03:53 pm
      Worst footballing hangover in a while.

Quick Reply