Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Villa?

Adrián
      6 (7.1%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      2 (2.4%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      15 (17.9%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1.2%)
      Naby Keïta
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      49 (58.3%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Diogo Jota
      7 (8.3%)
      James Milner
      3 (3.6%)
      Curtis Jones
      0 (0%)
      Takumi Minamino
      1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Voting closed: Oct 08, 2020 09:09:40 pm

Aston Villa 7-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 28404 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Re: Aston Villa 7-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #943: Oct 05, 2020 01:08:23 pm
      We miss Henderson more than some people realize as well.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #944: Oct 05, 2020 01:17:00 pm
      We miss Henderson more than some people realize as well.

I think a lot of people do realise.  Surprised he didn't come on with being on the bench.
      Davbro
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 98 posts | 22 
      Reply #945: Oct 05, 2020 01:21:58 pm
      I think a lot of people do realise.  Surprised he didn't come on with being on the bench.

Agree. Hendo organises and gets players by the scruff of their neck when not performing.  Miss that.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #946: Oct 05, 2020 01:35:13 pm
      Agree. Hendo organises and gets players by the scruff of their neck when not performing.  Miss that.

Could have done with a bit of Henderson & Mane intensity last night..
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #947: Oct 05, 2020 01:42:42 pm
      I quoted Bielsa in an earlier post.."you are at your best when you lose". So the next few games will tell us how well Klopp has dealt with this savage mauling.

Going back to Easter weekend of 1963, on the good friday we battered Spurs 5-2, the away game was to be on the monday but after thrashing them we were up for it...but it went belly up and we lost...7-2..Greaves scored 4. I think that was the last time we conceded 7 goals. Maybe Tommy Lawrence had one to many Easter eggs.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #948: Oct 05, 2020 01:52:43 pm
      Henderson when he plays the holding role does play off the back 4. Keeps them slightly deeper. Fabinho plays it almost the same but he is just that bit higher than Hendo.Think the first goal dictated out stategy in that we were pushing higher up to force the issue.

This issue of holding a high line didn't just start yesterday.We've played like that most of last season, mostly at home but in going a goal down so early forced our hand..1-0..then 2-0..then we were chasing the game. Maybe at 2-1 we should've held what we had but we didn't and at 4-1 it was gone.Maybe we should've brought on Milly and Hendo and took our medicine, Jones and Minimino had little effect.

ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #949: Oct 05, 2020 02:23:46 pm
      I maintain my view that we were being counter pressed. We weren't allowed time on the ball. This was a team that didn't sit back and waited for our wing backs to have a go at them. They were offensive all the way through. Our errors helped them along the way.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #950: Oct 05, 2020 02:29:42 pm
      I maintain my view that we were being counter pressed. We weren't allowed time on the ball. This was a team that didn't sit back and waited for our wing backs to have a go at them. They were offensive all the way through. Our errors helped them along the way.

They didn’t need to counter press really with Firmino and midfield turning the ball over when we were in transition and fullbacks high up the pitch, then even more criminally we didn’t put any pressure on them making that punt over our midfield into the space between TAA and Gomez.

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #951: Oct 05, 2020 02:55:24 pm
      It was a small disaster but let's be positive and work harder for it and let's do as thr Saints did last year, we need to learn a lot from it.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #952: Oct 05, 2020 02:58:45 pm
      was bollox, missing lots of top players doesnt help, and most of team having a very bad day, also they got very lucky with 3 deflections and adrian passing straight to them, stone wall penalty for us not given, perfect storm for a freak result.

Could easily have been a 7-5 saying all that, crackpot game tbh.

pass mark to robbo, salah & jota.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,632 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #953: Oct 05, 2020 03:04:46 pm
      The last time we were involved in a game like this was the last match of the season at Stoke under Rodgers, Stevie's last game, I was heartbroken for him and to see Liverpool fans fighting amongst themselves at half time was nothing short of disgraceful.
      Let's hope this is a one off for this season and we've got it out our system, not good to see but it also makes us all realise they are only human, they will make mistakes and have sh*t days just like all of us....roll on the bitters !!!
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #954: Oct 05, 2020 03:05:00 pm
      It was a small disaster but let's be positive and work harder for it and let's do as thr Saints did last year, we need to learn a lot from it.

So hard to be positive after that. Reputation has been damaged massively
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #955: Oct 05, 2020 03:50:37 pm
      Jota, Mo and Robo can hold there heads up the midfield three of Gini, Bobby and Nabi should never play together again all three spineless all three, had time to clear the heads but never took the opportunity, Virgil was poor as was Trent, Gomez what has happened to him, Adrian isn't good enough, must put the fear of Christ into any defence.
       Pity about the international break, as they need to clear there heads, and iron out all the mistakes. Well Everton next wonder how we will react
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #956: Oct 05, 2020 03:52:41 pm

Could be a good thing? Teams might start to underestimate us again.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #957: Oct 05, 2020 03:59:17 pm
      I feel awfully bitter after last night's performance. I'm afraid that I may remain bitter when we kick off in two weeks time. :(
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #958: Oct 05, 2020 05:02:29 pm

Really?

I'm honestly not too bothered by it. It happens, you have a bad day, an off day, you take someone for granted and they put you to the sword. Credit to Villa, they planned to harass us and they did. There were some odd factors that came into play but we weren't up for it. We will be the next time we take the pitch, I'm literally not worried about that result one bit. It would have almost been worse if we'd have lost 1-0 or 2-1 to be honest.

No use fretting about outliers (a big loss like that). This team has literally the best starting lineup in world football lead by the best manager in world football.

Think it's time for some of us to start acting like the best supporters in world football.
      Kopite78
      Reply #959: Oct 05, 2020 05:13:50 pm
      It would have almost been worse if we'd have lost 1-0 or 2-1 to be honest.

😀

Keep hearing this, sorry but that's F***ing nonsense

I wouldnt have woken up 3 times in the night had we lost 2-1 and having to remember if it was real

I wouldnt have had an 10 year old in tears before bed had it been 2-1

2-1 is annoying. 7-2 is a bit embarrassing in truth

I've supported this club for 35 years and to put a 7-2 loss in context, it's never happened before

So yeah I'm sound, I've defended my team all day, I already cant wait for the next game, I trust and back these boys to put it right.. but come on a 2-1 loss wouldn't have been worse
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #960: Oct 05, 2020 05:19:45 pm
      Still trying to get me coconut around it. Sly will open the wound every chance they get..rumour has it Tyler shouted "drinks all round"...it was reported Roy Keane actually smiled..but that's not been confirmed.

Even fat head Johnson took time out from making a mess of the pandemic and claimed he was an "Aspen Villa" fan. I mean it's only a bleedin' game..but if that feckin' squat faced blirt Shearer starts gloating I'll put me hoof thru the telly.

I'm goint to hibernate till the toffee's turn up and I've gone right off that Carlo git..
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #961: Oct 05, 2020 05:25:10 pm

Yes mate they definately got among us right from the get go and buoyed on i'm certain by the absence of Mane who is our biggest threat for the ball over the top and of course, having a very shaky keeper who isn't particularly comfortable with the ball at his feet would have helped. They also shifted massively across to Trent and SAlah as Carra alluded to in commentary, again afforded space to Robbo and Jota but unfortunately we didn't take advantage of the numerous chances we created in that area.

Be interesting to see what the next couple of games brings, a result like that can really shatter that air of superiority/inferiority (for the oppo) that we had going for us. I do wish we had amended things during the game yesterday, it was bonkers to keep doing what we were doing. I would have liked to have seen Milner and Hendo on together by the 60th minute. Milly was only on for 15 mins but he came on and kicked people, tracked back (there was one goal saving tackle I recall) and brought a 'no more goals' attitude with him. 
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #962: Oct 05, 2020 05:27:44 pm
      I posted a 'Could it be 10?' status on FB at half-time in the mancs game to stir the pot, can you imagine the sh*t i was getting in that thread by 10pm last night!

It was pretty embarrassing as it was but i got rinsed!
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #963: Oct 05, 2020 05:31:23 pm
      Pretty sure I was suffering PTSD last night after that, was waking up every 10 minutes sweating... be the death of me this club.
      LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #964: Oct 05, 2020 09:47:55 pm
      Glad it's not my job to analyse where we went wrong but here's my take.

We started off with a very high line, suspecting they would sit back like they done last season and not expecting the pressing from Villa (seems to be a new system they are playing with this season).

We go a goal down and we are immediately chasing the game and taking the usual risks we normally would do in the situation we found ourselves in but we lost the ball so many times in transition, I've never seen us so poor on the ball, complete contrast to how well we were in possession against Arsenal (in last Prem game). As a result, the counter was always on for Villa.

The right hand side for us was the obvious weakness. Trent was in lots of trouble as both Keita and Salah do not tend to offer much defensively which then impacted the position of Gomez who had to cover two positions when Trent went forward. In my opinion, Gini should have played on the right to help out the weaker side of the defense.

At half time, we changed to a 4231 but we play even higher up the pitch chasing the game, taking more risks and inevitably giving them more chances.

Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #965: Oct 05, 2020 10:12:54 pm
      It's funny, listening to talk sport we've pretty much been written off... We'll be back with a victory over Everton I've no doubt. My only concern is Adrian I don't trust him one bit, it's not just the mistakes I think he's beaten fairly easy.

Quick Reply