Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Gomez

Read 2979 times
      OConnor
      • Forum Erik Meijer
      • Started Topic

• 30 posts |
      Gomez
      Oct 07, 2020 11:48:19 am
      Everybody’s on Gomez back and yes he’s not a world class defender but we won the PL last season with him as a constant. The issue is Trent, first and foremost he’s a defender so at 4-1 you stop thinking you’re Maradona and start helping your Centre half out, Gomez is basically playing right back and centre back. Gomez was subbed off 61 mins and we conceded two more goals that went through his side where Fabinho was after he was subbed. Trent needs to learn when to go forward and when he needs to get back quick.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Re: Gomez
      Reply #1: Oct 07, 2020 12:45:28 pm
      Everybody’s on Gomez back and yes he’s not a world class defender but we won the PL last season with him as a constant. The issue is Trent, first and foremost he’s a defender so at 4-1 you stop thinking you’re Maradona and start helping your Centre half out, Gomez is basically playing right back and centre back. Gomez was subbed off 61 mins and we conceded two more goals that went through his side where Fabinho was after he was subbed. Trent needs to learn when to go forward and when he needs to get back quick.

Agreed that Trent needs to put in a better shift defensively as he did last season. But Joe has made a number of unforced errors this season resulting in opposition chances.  Virgil has too mind but not as many as Gomez has, so I think the criticism of Joe over the last few games is justified.

I don't think Matip makes as many errors when he plays.

Also we have a player thread for Joe so this debate probably belongs there rather than it's own thread.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #2: Oct 07, 2020 01:17:54 pm
      Simply to blame Gomez seems to be totally unfair. Virgil rather off form our two full backs far from their best. The defence caught out far too many times. Adrian our hapless second choice keeper gifting Villa with their opening goal all played a part in this disaster of a defeat.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #3: Oct 07, 2020 01:19:11 pm
      Love Gomez, he’ll recover. The whole team was sh*te
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #4: Oct 07, 2020 01:24:43 pm
      Love Gomez, he’ll recover. The whole team was sh*te

Agree with you there surely Adrian was the main culprit. How could our back four have any confidence, in such a woeful keeper !
      OConnor
      • Forum Erik Meijer
      • Started Topic

• 30 posts |
      Reply #5: Oct 07, 2020 01:33:45 pm
      Agree with you there surely Adrian was the main culprit. How could our back four have any confidence, in such a woeful keeper !

Am not in the habit of just blindly defending all our players no matter what but I don’t think it’s Adrian either. On sky sports Robert green pointed out the fact when Adrian got the ball no full back gave him a option of a pass. Rest of the goals I’ll be honest I can’t see him being at fault. Deflections are cruel on quite a few of those goals. He’s more than good enough to deputy Allison in my opinion.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #6: Oct 07, 2020 04:08:41 pm
      Am not in the habit of just blindly defending all our players no matter what but I don’t think it’s Adrian either. On sky sports Robert green pointed out the fact when Adrian got the ball no full back gave him a option of a pass. Rest of the goals I’ll be honest I can’t see him being at fault. Deflections are cruel on quite a few of those goals. He’s more than good enough to deputy Allison in my opinion.

Yeah he was a fantastic deputy against Athleti.....

Have you seen his stats he’s one of the worst keepers in the league at making errors.

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #7: Oct 07, 2020 05:27:01 pm
      Thought this thread was about the band gomez
      Kopite78
      Reply #8: Oct 07, 2020 05:32:31 pm

:D

I had the same thought

First two albums were brilliant
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #9: Oct 07, 2020 05:42:24 pm

I was hoping about Adams family personally
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #10: Oct 07, 2020 06:56:31 pm
      No player is immune to criticism, names don’t matter nor status, Joe Gomez is a fantastic defender/ CB,  but at the moment he is far from his best, we all seen how good he is last season, after returning from injury he fought his way back to partner Virgil, at the moment he is simply not good enough, whether he’s carrying another knock, his confidence is low, or maybe something else on a personal note, who knows,

Jürgen sees him everyday, as do the physio’s etc, so I doubt there are any niggles hampering him, it might be confidence, every player has a slump in form, maybe he needed a longer pre-season and it’s taking him longer to kick into gear, f**k knows, but he really needs to shake out of it fast, we’re low in CB’s as it is with Matip still out.

If Thiago is back for the derby, we might see Fab with Virgil, we can’t afford a off key Gomez going in to face those bitter bas**rds!

Y  N  W  A
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #11: Oct 08, 2020 01:02:59 am
      Doesn’t Joe have his own thread? Why are we starting a new one?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #12: Oct 09, 2020 01:44:10 am
      I was hoping about Adams family personally

Hahhaha me too!
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #13: Oct 09, 2020 04:21:34 am
      It’s a myth trent can’t defend. Only have to go back 2-3 weeks ago when we played arsenal and he kept Auba in his pocket all night.

Gomez has been sh*te for a while and his performances are discussed in his player thread.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #14: Oct 09, 2020 10:42:25 am
      I think he needs to be a lot more physical seen him be bullied by quite a few forwards since return from lockdown.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #15: Oct 09, 2020 11:22:07 am
      Why do we have another Joe Gomez thread then?
      Kopite78
      Reply #16: Oct 09, 2020 11:58:48 am
      Why do we have another Joe Gomez thread then?

Hes a revolutionary kind 🙂

Quick Reply