Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Signings that worked better then you expected

Read 4227 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Signings that worked better then you expected
      Oct 07, 2020 07:50:53 pm
      I think people love discussing transfers that turned out to be a disaster. Think Balotelli.....but what signings have the club made that you initially thought why, why have ee signed that, but actually turned out to be a great signing?
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Re: Signings that worked better then you expected
      Reply #1: Oct 07, 2020 08:51:13 pm
      Gary Mac more Due to age than quality Houliier said he was most inspired  signing
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,232 posts | 751 
      Reply #2: Oct 07, 2020 09:15:35 pm
      I certainly go for Milner, signed on a "free" from City. He has played his part in the side and success under Jürgen Klopp.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #3: Oct 07, 2020 10:08:16 pm
      Matip. Despite his frailness was a great pickup for free.

Klavan. Not "great" but very serviceable while we improved depth

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #4: Oct 07, 2020 10:29:25 pm
      We don't know it yet but I reckon Thiago could become top of the props,(propositions) Andy Robertson holds that distinction at the mo, imo and probably  took it from Jimmy, 

We also need to consider Mane, Mo & Bobby all have exceeded expectations under Jürgen, Virgil too, what of Fabinho,  he has surprised a few I bet, including myself, nobody except maybe Jürgen & Pep knew just how good he is/was, this is all recent of course, the Klopp era,

Old Baldy head belongs obviously in the Houlier era,  but what of those from Rafa's time like Xabi Alonso,

f***in hell Brian,  you've opened a right can of worms,  got a fookin headache brewing now 😁

YNWA

Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #5: Oct 07, 2020 10:43:58 pm
      Have to say the skipper. I had barely heard of him when we signed him (and my father in law is Sunderland to the bone) and he was much maligned for so many years but he has blossomed into a fine player and an excellent Captain.

Milner is another good shout. I was chuffed to bits when we signed him. He has been superb, love his versatility and his fantastic attitude.

Going back a bit further I can remember as a kid being distraught when we sold Rush. Couldn’t get my head around it and then signed the spitting image of the lad from Oxford United And I thought he can’t replace a Liveepool legend but what a fookin player Aldo was!
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #6: Oct 07, 2020 10:49:28 pm
      Loads, but who can honestly say they expected that Scottish lad to become the best left back in the world? Shows you class managers and scouts see stuff we don’t and are not just simply people who chose a formation.
      Davbro
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 98 posts | 22 
      Reply #7: Oct 08, 2020 12:39:50 am
      A signing who I thought was going to be absolute pants and completely took me by surprise was Steve Finnan. I'm not talking superstar here but when we signed him I thought "for f**k sake" and then actually thought the guy was solid and brilliant.  Another was Craig Bellamy.  I absolutely ended up loving that crazy fooker. Plenty more but those two came to mind straight away.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #8: Oct 08, 2020 03:09:14 am
      Milner! Suarez...
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #9: Oct 08, 2020 04:22:02 am
      Good shout on Steve Finnan.

Another one that I was skeptical of was Stephan Henchoz. Blackburn had just been relegated and it looked to me like agents taking care of agents, but  he was very strong for three of four seasons. He put some top line strikers from around England and Europe in his back pocket on certain nights.

Injuries kind of did him in his final couple of seasons, but he was a good signing his first few years.

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #10: Oct 08, 2020 09:02:56 am
      Ray Kennedy.he was converted from striker to midfield and was a revelation.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,232 posts | 751 
      Reply #11: Oct 08, 2020 09:11:17 am
      How about Kevin Keegan who was signed from Scunthorpe, certainly made a massive impact, especially in partnership with John Toshack.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #12: Oct 08, 2020 09:15:13 am
      Like others have mentioned, Gary Mac would have to be right up there. Always laugh thinking about what the reaction would have been like if the internet was as prominent then as it is now. 35 year old fella from Coventry on a free, Twitter would have had a meltdown

Suppose you could probably also name more or less the whole current squad / first team as they've all gone on to exceed expectations

Kyrgiakos would be another who I expected next to nothing from but went on to do pretty well. Best summed up in his song which was something along the lines of "We can't pronounce his surname so we just call him the Greek, we bought him as a backup but he's playing every week"  ;D

Davbro
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 98 posts | 22 
      Reply #13: Oct 08, 2020 10:19:01 am
      Good shout on Steve Finnan.

Another one that I was skeptical of was Stephan Henchoz. Blackburn had just been relegated and it looked to me like agents taking care of agents, but  he was very strong for three of four seasons. He put some top line strikers from around England and Europe in his back pocket on certain nights.

Injuries kind of did him in his final couple of seasons, but he was a good signing his first few years.

Loved Henchoz. I remembered a rumour that we only moved him on because big Sami Hyypia was doing a line with his missus. Probably no truth in it at all obviously.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #14: Oct 08, 2020 10:59:25 am
      I remember we signed Rob Jones and he went straight into the team v utd, cleaned Giggs out and went on to a gem until injury ruined his career.

Less of an example is Salah....I thought we have Mane, Bobby, Coutinho wheres he going to fit? He failed at Chelsea and were signing him off the back of a good season in Rome.....man was my face red
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,232 posts | 751 
      Reply #15: Oct 08, 2020 11:04:42 am
      Another fine player signed was Ray Clemence also from Scunthorpe, we could sure do with a back up keeper of his calibre in the squad at the present time ! btw what a great topic to debate.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #16: Oct 08, 2020 04:19:29 pm
      Michael Edwards. Little did I know that he could sell anything to everybody and we’ll pay him good money for it. ;D
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #17: Oct 08, 2020 04:23:49 pm
      Robertson from recent times. Left back had been a problem for a decade for us - never would have thought an £8m player from relegated Hull would fix that. Not only that but he's now the best in his position in the world.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #18: Oct 08, 2020 04:55:05 pm
      I might be alone in this but was expecting good things from Robbo (not quite the level he is but I was excited about him). Could be that Moreno was the alternative. Or that I’m Scottish.

If we’re not bringing price in to it, I’d have to say Mane. Obviously a bargain at £30 odd million but still a fair chunk of cash. I remember thinking what a waste, another mid-table signing. Was adamant that I did not want him here. Man was I proven wrong. Honestly I think he is the best player in the league and think he is arguably the most important part of our team (Virgil and Becker make a good case to be fair). Don’t think it’s any coincidence that he was missing in the 7-2 demolition the other week and the only one of the 3 involved in the 4-0 destruction of Barca.

Not to get carried away but I would die for him.
      « Last Edit: Oct 08, 2020 08:25:14 pm by ConzS »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #19: Oct 08, 2020 05:20:07 pm
      Wasn't expecting Alonso to be as good as he turned out to be when we signed him. 

More recently Robbo and Fabinho.  Mention Fabinho because I didn't hold out too much hope as he had come the French league and I don't think it is one of the more successful leagues exporting into the Prem.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #20: Oct 08, 2020 06:25:01 pm
      Bri beat me too it!

Rob Jones would of been a superb full back if it wasn't for shin splints. Still can't believe Evo shifted him to left back just so he could play Jase the Ace.
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #21: Oct 08, 2020 07:49:30 pm
      I might be alone in this but was expecting good things from Robbo (not quite the level he is but I was excited about him). Could be that Moreno was the alternative. Or that I’m Scottish.

If we’re not bringing price in to it, I’d have to say Mane. Obviously a bargain at £30 odd million but still a fair chunk of cash. I remember thinking what a waste, another mid-table signing. Was adamant that I did not want him here. Man was I proven wrong. Honestly I think he is the best player in the league and think he is arguably the most important part of our team (Virgil and Becker make a good case to be fair). Don’t think it’s any coincidence that he was missing in the 7-2 demolition the other week and the only one of the 3 involved against the 4-0 destruction of Barca.
      Not to get carried away but I would die for him.

Was same about Robbo had already seen him a few times and could see a player there
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #22: Oct 08, 2020 09:05:17 pm
      Jimmy Case - explosive midfield terrier in the mould of Graeme Souness, bought from South Liverpool and what a player he was for us.

Phil Neal (Zico) great player and still the most decorated player Liverpool's ever had (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong)

Quick Reply