Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Is Pay Per View the way of the future?

Read 5399 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Is Pay Per View the way of the future?
      Oct 10, 2020 01:50:22 pm
      The online reaction to the initial offer of non-broadcast Premier League games for 15 "pounds" per match seems to be almost unanimously negative. Mostly what I'm seeing is in regard to the price, but some seem opposed to showing so many matches in general, I guess because it would continuine the staggered start times for nearly every match over the course of a match weekend.

So over here they show all the games that aren't being telecast on NBC Sports, on a new streaming service called Peacock. It shows those matches live and also holds them for on-demand viewing. There's other programming on it as well, sports and otherwise. The cost for the service is 5 U.S. dollars per month. I know this price will go up, but I'm wondering if a comparable rate, I think it's about 3 "Pounds" and 80 pence to equal 5 U.S. dollars, would be more acceptable to fans in UK, if not for an entire month of service, at least for an individual match of their preferred club?

I understand about the price being too high, but is there some price point where fans would be willing to pay to view non-televised matches while stadiums remain off limits to supporters? I want the bans to end soon but each newscast I watch makes me think we're looking at 2021 at the earliest, and very likely not until 11=12 months from now depending on progress with a vaccine and case statistics.

Are people going to stay away in total, or only if the price is too dear?
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Re: Is Pay Per View the way of the future?
      Reply #1: Oct 10, 2020 02:05:50 pm
      In these testing times it's a complete rip off, if anything we should have reduction in prescriptions right across the board. I won't be paying a penny.  :f_steam:
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #2: Oct 10, 2020 02:12:23 pm
      £15 is too much for a one off game in my opinion. I think it’s good that the option is there to watch the game if you wish but it’s a sport for the working class at the end of the day and many people are struggling right now. £5 would be much more realistic. 

It would be interesting to see premierleague clubs buy the streaming rights individually and then sell those games to their own fans the same way they would with a normal match ticket. I wonder which clubs would sell them at a reasonable price and which clubs would try and rob its own fans.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #3: Oct 10, 2020 02:18:48 pm
      £4.99 and you nobody would have had too much of a problem. £15 is just so unrealistic for one game, no matter your circumstances...

If they did £4.99 a match or a choice to do a month at £19.99 they'd be making a whole lot more money then they will be from selling each game at £15... I know for £19.99 a month I’d be willing if it meant stopping messing around with streams... for £15 a game though I’ll carry on dealing with streams.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #4: Oct 10, 2020 02:21:06 pm
      Surely if the more sensible fans boycott, the £15 charge for one measly game. There would be a reconsideration of this fee, maybe £5 per game would be more realistic to all fans, especially on a modest income.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #5: Oct 10, 2020 02:45:23 pm
      Think £5 a game is more realistic people not exactly in the best financial shape in a lot of cases
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #6: Oct 10, 2020 02:45:40 pm
      Going to price themselves out of the market. The gravy train has hit the buffers, comes as no great surprise as they live in a self created bubble surrounded by millions. Now that bubble is in danger of bursting they want the fans to line the bubble with more money to protect them from the realities of the current situation.

I'll decline thank you very much..
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #7: Oct 10, 2020 04:40:24 pm
      Absolutely zero chance I will be paying £15 to watch a game.  I already share a NOW Tv sub and I'd say that paying about £8 a month is about my limit!  That's only because I'm fairly confident working my way around getting games via streams etc.

If you've got no knowledge of the myriad of ways to watch football online then you are probably getting badly ripped off already, so you might want to give them another £15 a game on top.

Fair play to Leicester for voting no on this daft proposal. 
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 495 posts | 80 
      Reply #8: Oct 10, 2020 04:41:42 pm
      Watch this and if you think there is any other good way to view football (other than in the stadium) you are wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5jqCh3Eiq0&t=8s
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #9: Oct 10, 2020 05:18:47 pm
      Watch this and if you think there is any other good way to view football (other than in the stadium) you are wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5jqCh3Eiq0&t=8s

Very interesting information. But of course for most of us, watching on TV or online is the ONLY way we can watch Premier League football. Even in the city of Liverpool there are tonnes of people who could never get into see a match, or if they did it would be only once in a GREAT while. The interest far surpasses the capacity at grounds, and of course as the video shows, the revenue from that interest is in the billions. The amount broadcasters in UK and around the world pay for telecast rights is the main thing keeping the league and clubs from doing more with streaming (as well as the expense involved in building a serious streaming platform, no small matter logistically or financially) - but as the video shows, if they can put together a viable tech platform for streaming, the Premier League could bring in more than 20 BILLION in revenues from subscriptions.

Might afford a few bob for the EFL in those circumstances, or conversely nobody would be left with an interest in watching....

« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2020 05:27:17 pm by Robby The Z »
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #10: Oct 10, 2020 05:41:03 pm
      Sky, money grabbing fuckers. Screw customers while times were good, then screw em harder when times are bad. Disgrace.
      They have good coverage, but F**k do you pay for it.
      Won't be paying 15 for any PPV match. Will get it somewhere on tinternet.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #11: Oct 10, 2020 08:07:41 pm
      Every aspect of football as a form of entertainment is a total rip off. This is probably in line with everything else gone before it.
      If prem players knocked a nought off their weekly Income. ie £150k a week, becomes 15k a week. That’s still a huge income for any individual. The savings the clubs would make, would allow them lower match fees to £5 each, and match day programmes to £1.00
      So where did the greed start, and where will it end 🤷‍♂️
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #12: Oct 10, 2020 10:55:36 pm
      Yet another way to rip the loyal fans off.

I've been extremely lucky over the years in being able to watch Liverpool live whether it's been at the ground or on TV, If I can't get to a game then I like to be able to watch it live on the tele (I really don't like streams) I'm fortunate to have Sky and BT and the majority of Liverpool's matches are shown live on either of these channels, so I already pay enough, I won't be paying more on PPV. I'll just wait till midnight to watch the game on LFC TV.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #13: Oct 11, 2020 03:15:22 am

I've been extremely lucky over the years in being able to watch Liverpool live whether it's been at the ground or on TV, If I can't get to a game then I like to be able to watch it live on the tele (I really don't like streams) I'm fortunate to have Sky and BT and the majority of Liverpool's matches are shown live on either of these channels, so I already pay enough, I won't be paying more on PPV. I'll just wait till midnight to watch the game on LFC TV.

One thing this reminds me of is, it would be nice if radio comms actually announced the events of the match rather than talking endlessly about everything else . I'm old enough to have listened to live sport on the radio and it can be worthwhile if the comms are good at it. Many aren't
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #14: Oct 11, 2020 10:29:13 am
      It's like Premiership Plus never existed! They tried it before and no one could be arsed paying, what makes them think this will be any different.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #15: Oct 11, 2020 12:39:12 pm

Same here mate, I'm coming to the end of a 18month contract and won't be renewing, Sky/bt are taking the f***in piss, I know I can stream but it's unreliable if you want continuous coverage no matter the speed.

I'm not that clued up on the internet so what other platforms or sites could I access for a fraction of the price I pay sky ?

YNWA
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #16: Oct 11, 2020 01:13:41 pm
      This "big picture" deal that is being put together could change the face of the Premier League. Looks like a power grab. Putting the big clubs in charge. Difficult to say whether it will be good for the game but it looks like a financial package for the lower leagues is part of it.

Developing story..

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-picture-transfer-news-live-19084338
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #17: Oct 11, 2020 01:14:34 pm
      It's like Premiership Plus never existed! They tried it before and no one could be arsed paying, what makes them think this will be any different.

Aye but that was like 50£ for 60 games or something working out a quid a game. This price is hard to believe really.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #18: Oct 11, 2020 02:17:20 pm
      Same old story rip the fans off. We should stand together and not subscribe but you know what will happen
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #19: Oct 11, 2020 02:33:55 pm
      In the not too old days we used to complain about cable companies ripping people off with their packages and anxiously waiting for the a la carte programming that would put an end to their reign. Now that the years have passed and everything is subscription based i wonder if it’s actually worse than before.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #20: Oct 11, 2020 03:24:03 pm
      This "big picture" deal that is being put together could change the face of the Premier League. Looks like a power grab. Putting the big clubs in charge. Difficult to say whether it will be good for the game but it looks like a financial package for the lower leagues is part of it.

Developing story..

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-picture-transfer-news-live-19084338

Ever since the inception of the Premier League, the goal has always been to get the league down to 18 teams.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #21: Oct 11, 2020 03:27:14 pm
      Aye but that was like 50£ for 60 games or something working out a quid a game. This price is hard to believe really.

Just the next step really. They've seen how boxing etc is getting lashed on ppv at £20 a pop and due to in their eyes the product being such high value, that's what they think we'll be happy paying. Or what ever business buzzwords the wankers use!!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #22: Oct 11, 2020 08:31:51 pm
      Just the next step really. They've seen how boxing etc is getting lashed on ppv at £20 a pop and due to in their eyes the product being such high value, that's what they think we'll be happy paying. Or what ever business buzzwords the wankers use!!

Soon the managers will be having shared press conferences talking up the match throwing chairs all over the show being separated by Mike Riley.

Honestly though I dont begrudge boxers who have reached their pinnacle and who have to make their money through PPV when they fight 2 or 3 times a year and spend the rest of their time in training camps. If they started doing every week for say David Price v  Derek Chisora people would soon F**k it off.

Fury v Joshua for example will be an event with 4 or 5 fights on the undercard all worth a watch as well.

Liverpool playing Sheffield United for the same price, I just cant see it taking off really. In a way I'm glad theyve chosen to blow me out the water financially because I wont be tempted to buy it.  5 or 6 quid a pop I might end up being drawn in but 15 quid + theres no decision to make really.

The model just doesnt work. In boxing the best fights end up on PPV. In this model the best matches are already taken by sky and BT and now we're being offered the dregs that's left for an absolute premium price.

Hope and expect this to F**k up.

Quick Reply