Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Academy 11 in the premier league

Read 1203 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Academy 11 in the premier league
      Oct 14, 2020 02:59:56 pm
      Do you think its possible that we will ever see Liverpool field 11 playets from the academy in the premier league, or is that now unrealistic in todays game?

I dont mean 11 scousers, lads from any country once theyve came through the ranks. Also I dont mean 11 18 year olds on the pitch. A scenario maybe in 10 years Trent, Curtis Jones for example are the old men in the team with some young lads coming through.

Not sure who the last team to do it were, if its ever been done in the premier league? I know Barcelona managed it about 10 years back

Is it realistic?
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Re: Academy 11 in the premier league
      Reply #1: Oct 14, 2020 04:47:20 pm
      Do you think its possible that we will ever see Liverpool field 11 playets from the academy in the premier league, or is that now unrealistic in todays game?

I dont mean 11 scousers, lads from any country once theyve came through the ranks. Also I dont mean 11 18 year olds on the pitch. A scenario maybe in 10 years Trent, Curtis Jones for example are the old men in the team with some young lads coming through.

Not sure who the last team to do it were, if its ever been done in the premier league? I know Barcelona managed it about 10 years back

Is it realistic?

Can't see it myself Brian, there will always be foreign players being brought in, don't see that changing,  for it to happen tho we as a club would have to bring through local lads only, but even that would be virtually impossible to have all positions covered by exceptional player's simultaneously,

They way things are going atm there might not be a premier league anyway!

YNWA
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #2: Oct 14, 2020 10:37:38 pm

Is it realistic?

Never going to happen Bri.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #3: Oct 14, 2020 11:33:28 pm

Can't see it myself Brian, there will always be foreign players being brought in, don't see that changing,  for it to happen tho we as a club would have to bring through local lads only, but even that would be virtually impossible to have all positions covered by exceptional player's simultaneously,

They way things are going atm there might not be a premier league anyway!

YNWA

So recent alumni would make an 11 like

GK: Kamil Grabara
      D: Trent Alexander-Arnold, Nat Phillips, Rhys Williams, Conor Coady
      M:Ovie Ejaria, Harry Wilson, Curtis Jones, Ben Woodburn
      F: Sheyi Ojo, Raheem Sterling, Rhian Brewster

Obviously only 3-5 of these are regulars in the Premier League, a couple in the Championship, a couple more probably on their way there and a couple on the fringe of our first team.

But is it outlandish to think in 2-3 years all of these might be starting in the Premier League? I think it's in the realm of possibility.

Now you've got Leighton Clarkson, Layton Stewart and a few others who have signed pro deals that hopefully will make that jump as well, but the terrain gets much steeper as you approach the top of the development mountain, so only time will tell.

Quick Reply