Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Players who benefited from loan deals

Read 1647 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Players who benefited from loan deals
      Oct 16, 2020 08:03:08 pm
      Didnt see the Harvey Elliott deal coming at all. Great for him to get games and at, for me, a decent club.

However I usually associate loan deals as the begining of the end. Example Ben Woodburn. Couple of seasons ago he looked to have massive potential, went on loan and has not kicked on..

Off top of my head, and my head can be fuzzy, Danny Murphy is the last player that jumps out as going on loan and coming back to play a huge role.

What other players have we loaned out and seen it benefit them and us?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Re: Players who benefited from loan deals
      Reply #1: Oct 16, 2020 08:30:13 pm
      Off top of my head, and my head can be fuzzy, Danny Murphy is the last player that jumps out as going on loan and coming back to play a huge role.

What other players have we loaned out and seen it benefit them and us?

Divock Origi.

From on loan at Wolfsburg to scoring the winner in the Champions League final the next season.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #2: Oct 17, 2020 03:03:31 am
      Didn't Mo Salah go on loan to Fiorentina?  Then they wanted to buy him, but he chose Roma instead?  That one didn't turn out to badly....

Harry Kane another example
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #3: Oct 17, 2020 04:46:26 am
      Neil Mellor? Went to West Ham for a season then came back and scored that boss last minute goal against Arsenal and let’s not forget his involvement in the Olympiakos game on the road to Istanbul. He scored our second goal then made an assist with a lovely cushioned header for GERRARRRRDDDDDD. Unfortunately, injuries ruined his career pretty much straight after that.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #4: Oct 17, 2020 07:30:56 am
      Yeah, 90% of the time I too consider it the start of the end, I can’t remember too many in my time watching football ever come back from a loan and do anything, once someone goes out on loan I just automatically assume for the rest of their career I’ll see them in preseason games before their next loan move or until they move on permanently to a lower team.

With Harvey though I hope that’s not the case, you can already see glimpses of brilliance and was hoping to see him in some cup games this year, even the early champions league games with our draw... I will be watching Blackburn closely this year though with him involved.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #5: Oct 17, 2020 07:50:02 am
      Yeah, 90% of the time I too consider it the start of the end, I can’t remember too many in my time watching football ever come back from a loan and do anything, once someone goes out on loan I just automatically assume for the rest of their career I’ll see them in preseason games before their next loan move or until they move on permanently to a lower team.

With Harvey though I hope that’s not the case, you can already see glimpses of brilliance and was hoping to see him in some cup games this year, even the early champions league games with our draw... I will be watching Blackburn closely this year though with him involved.

I think Harvey is kind of in no man's land in that he's way too good for the U23s but not quite ready to break into first team regular action. He would be looking at nearly 3 seasons without getting regular games so I think it just makes sense. I don't think in his case it is the beginning of the end, but I agree that most of our loans out are a prelude to a permanent exit
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #6: Oct 17, 2020 08:04:48 am
      I think Harvey is kind of in no man's land in that he's way too good for the U23s but not quite ready to break into first team regular action. He would be looking at nearly 3 seasons without getting regular games so I think it just makes sense. I don't think in his case it is the beginning of the end, but I agree that most of our loans out are a prelude to a permanent exit
      I really hope so this time. I think he’s the first youngster in a long time which I truly believe, without many doubts, has the potential to be special.

Another thing with loan deals though is, from what I’ve seen, even when one of our loan players performs well out on loan, and we think they’ll get a shot, it never seems to happen... which I guess comes down to the quality in the first team, and the chances they’ll get... I guess that’s one downside to having a relatively low age world class team with decent injury records, there isn’t many doors open for the younger talents ready to take that next step and get decent playing time, unless they are a Trent and a freak of nature.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #7: Oct 17, 2020 09:52:04 am
      What's different for Elliott IMO is that if we move on Shaqiri and Origi next summer (very likely) there's a direct spot for him to step up into the matchday squad if he has a good season of getting minutes under his belt.

Admittedly we don't seem to do well when sending players out on loan but plenty of the world's best have had spells out on loan.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #8: Oct 17, 2020 10:58:37 am
      Elliotts loan is more of a promotion than  negative . Gives him the chance as Brewster to perform in a very physical league and will benefit a lot more than 23s . My only concern is gametime but hopefully he will be fine
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #9: Oct 17, 2020 11:14:56 am
      However I usually associate loan deals as the begining of the end. Example Ben Woodburn. Couple of seasons ago he looked to have massive potential, went on loan and has not kicked on..

Agree.  Think Elliott got more out of being involved in Liverpool's final Premier League games than he would have at a lower division club.

When they start getting loaned out it's my instinct that the club are looking towards protecting their future value and getting as good a transfer fee as possible.  Out of sight out of mind for the manager.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #10: Oct 17, 2020 11:18:35 am
      Elliotts loan is more of a promotion than  negative . Gives him the chance as Brewster to perform in a very physical league and will benefit a lot more than 23s . My only concern is gametime but hopefully he will be fine

Probably built in some economic incentive from Rovers to play him more. Edwards did this before with Ryan Kent, Ovie Ejaria, etc.

Quick Reply