Trending Topics

Next match: Sheff Utd v LFC [Premier League] Sun 28th Feb @ 7:15 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Bramall Lane

Today is the 26th of February and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D4 L9

VAR has to go

Read 11279 times
      RedPuppy
      • WASH YOUR HANDS
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,252 posts | 2338 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: VAR has to go
      Reply #225: Feb 06, 2021 11:03:05 pm
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,131 posts | 1702 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #226: Feb 06, 2021 11:10:29 pm
      weareliverpool
      • Forum John Barnes

• 423 posts | 73 
      Reply #227: Feb 06, 2021 11:22:53 pm
      Lee Mason and Mike Dean very dangerous duo

Wouldn't say dangerous but both are completely inept and shouldn't be anywhere near a football pitch,ruining the game we all love,don't blame them it's the PGMOL who appoint them and they don't seem to hold them to account for all their errors/f**k ups.Just seen we have Michael Oliver as ref against City,the last game he reffed us was the derby when VVD got injured,on the plus side we have never lost a home EPL game with him in charge(20 matches).
      « Last Edit: Feb 06, 2021 11:32:02 pm by weareliverpool »
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,030 posts | 804 
      Reply #228: Feb 06, 2021 11:39:21 pm
      Wouldn't say dangerous but both are completely inept and shouldn't be anywhere near a football pitch,ruining the game we all love,don't blame them it's the PGMOL who appoint them and they don't seem to hold them to account for all their errors/f**k ups.Just seen we have Michael Oliver as ref against City,the last game he reffed us was the derby when VVD got injured,on the plus side we have never lost a home EPL game with him in charge(20 matches).

So we could win, but have another two players victims of gbh and out for the rest of the season.
      That’s reassuring, but a valuable 3 points all the same 😬
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 7,156 posts | 1952 
      Reply #229: Feb 07, 2021 08:00:29 am
      RedPuppy
      • WASH YOUR HANDS
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,252 posts | 2338 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #230: Feb 07, 2021 09:36:06 am

Yep, VAR is VAR, just like the offside rule... unless you're M.City, and the FA are in volved.
      chats
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 25,096 posts | 1364 
      Reply #231: Feb 07, 2021 10:46:14 am
      Think that Soucek decision must be a new all time low for VAR and refereeing in this country.

The fact two referees saw that decision so many times and thought it was a red card is absolutely ridiculous.
      weareliverpool
      • Forum John Barnes

• 423 posts | 73 
      Reply #232: Feb 07, 2021 02:55:21 pm
      So we could win, but have another two players victims of gbh and out for the rest of the season.
      That’s reassuring, but a valuable 3 points all the same 😬

He may give us a few decisions after the mess he made of the Derby.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,101 posts | 622 
      Reply #233: Feb 07, 2021 08:58:38 pm
      Quote from chats
      Yeah it was only last weekend that Southampton were robbed against Villa with two shocking decisions against them for fucks sake!

Oh and then Martial diving all over the place in midweek!

Your obsession with it is weird, just like your anti-Rafa agenda. The vast majority of people that were for VAR can realise the implementation of it has been nothing short of shambolic but for some reason you just blindly continue to support it. Can only assume it's because you're on a wind-up or completely clueless about football.

VAR didn't make shocking decisions last weekend. Two decisions were made on the pitch, which after being checked, were then allowed to stand. The first one is not a clear and obvious error since the handball rules were relaxed. With the second one, offside is offside, there's been offside laws in the sport since it started. It's not shocking anymore.

I take it the "Martial diving" refers to the penalty he got. I hate them getting penalties, but technically it was not a dive as there was clear contact by the defender, and we've seen plenty of similiar penalties given this season. As he was the last man making no attempt to play the ball, he was very fortunate to get his red card overturned imo. The only crumb from that game was when VAR overturned an earlier penalty given to the mancs, when a foul was shown to be outside the area.

This is a subject that interests me more than others, so I'm going to have more to say about it than others. Other posters are more fascinated by what Everton do, which is fair enough. But as I don't care what they do, you won't see me posting about them. They're about as relevant in my life as Exeter.

I'm not going to apologise for holding Rafa's record to account, and I'm not going to apologise for wanting to see justice done in our sport, as in any other walk of life, and I stand by every word posted. I've been on the wrong end of crap decisions for decades that couldn't be changed when they had to be changed. If you assume that I'm on a wind up, then you're wrong or to borrow one of Jürgen's phrases, "I can't help this person". But I will still say what I have to say, whether I'm in an army of one or one million.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,066 posts | 3887 
      • @MrPrice1979
      Reply #234: Feb 09, 2021 06:08:08 am
      Keny
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 82 posts | 15 
      Reply #235: Feb 09, 2021 06:49:25 am
      Think that Soucek decision must be a new all time low for VAR and refereeing in this country.

The fact two referees saw that decision so many times and thought it was a red card is absolutely ridiculous.

I think the slow motion affects the decision.  As in many other cases, the slow motion replay magnifies the actions.  This used to cause troubles on players.  But this time the ref has to eat the same poison.
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 25,837 posts | 3789 
      Reply #236: Feb 09, 2021 10:06:19 am
      Hopefully with all this Mike Dean stuff the officials might reign in their ego & start handing out the right decision...

I’ve noticed since the crowds were stopped coming into grounds officials had an attitude & arrogance about them..
      TameImpala
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,824 posts | 952 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #237: Feb 09, 2021 02:45:13 pm
      Hopefully with all this Mike Dean stuff the officials might reign in their ego & start handing out the right decision...

I’ve noticed since the crowds were stopped coming into grounds officials had an attitude & arrogance about them..

Your post has just reminded me of ex referee Jeff Winter, who wrote this is in his autobiography about his last game as a referee (which happened to be at Anfield).  :lmao:

“ In the end I played a little bit extra, waiting until play was at the Kop end, before sounding the final shrill blast - a bit like the Last Post. The fans behind the goal burst into spontaneous applause. It was longer and louder than normal, even for a big home win. Did they know it was my final visit? Was the applause for me? They are such knowledgeable football people, that it would not surprise me. ”
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,281 posts | 274 
      Reply #238: Feb 13, 2021 02:29:34 pm
      Can we bin it now? It's genuinely starting to put me off football. We were lucky to to get away with most of the dodgy VAR "offsides" and failures to see penalties etc earlier this season. Today it got us, but it could have cost us even more points than it has. A ref making a mistake in the full flow of a game I can live with, but the ridiculous calls after all the delays, replays and freeze frames is just sickening me with the game.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,131 posts | 1702 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #239: Feb 13, 2021 03:18:00 pm
      Am I over reacting to say we are being fu**ed over big time this season, not just by var but officiating in general?
      Fabio Aurelio
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 150 posts | 12 
      Reply #240: Feb 13, 2021 03:35:48 pm
      Am I over reacting to say we are being fu**ed over big time this season, not just by var but officiating in general?
      It seems to be that way. The amount of times our attacking players have been groped without ramifications has really started to bother me. On the contrary, if our attacking player touches a defender it’s an instant foul. That might just be a symptom of the game in general, but overall it seems like anything that can go against us does go against us. The English referees are a joke and suck at their jobs. The levels of ineptitude should not be tolerated. Who knows whether there’s a degree of corruption and bias mixed in as well.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 657 posts | 118 
      Reply #241: Feb 13, 2021 03:53:07 pm

No not all..every fan thinks their club gets a rough ride but tbh I never have until this season. I'm not gonna say we are being targeted by the 'authorities' but what is stopping an individual ref or VAR official not giving the 50/50s our way.
      All refs will be fans of clubs and could easily be jealous of our club and think I'll show them?
      Not saying they deffo are but you can't rule it out it based on us getting shafted most weeks. That's not paranoia it's what I saw in front of me in a lot of our games this season.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,281 posts | 274 
      Reply #242: Feb 13, 2021 04:04:56 pm

No, you are right. We had a load of dodgy calls against us early this season, but we were playing well enough we got past most of them.

Today we had Mo denied a definite penalty, a clear foul on Sadio ignored in the build up to their second, and a linesman getting over-ruled by a VAR official seeing what he wanted to see, as per usual, for their first. Now we're struggling, the persistent bad calls are obviously more likely to cost us. When it's VAR it's a lot harder to put it down to innocent mistakes as well.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,861 posts | 1831 
      Reply #243: Feb 13, 2021 04:10:41 pm
      Absolute sh*t it is regardless of who it favours.

Seen our onside goals ruled out and teams offside goals given.

Trying to defend a free kick and they look for 5 minutes desperately trying to come up with a penalty..

How sad.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,281 posts | 274 
      Reply #244: Feb 13, 2021 04:21:47 pm
      Absolute sh*t it is regardless of who it favours.

Seen our onside goals ruled out and teams offside goals given.

Trying to defend a free kick and they look for 5 minutes desperately trying to come up with a penalty..

How sad.

When will they make the decision on whether they use it again next season? Could do with some kind of fans protest or something to let them know it isn't wanted Online petition, cancelling Sly subscriptions til it's gone, something like that to let them know it is not wanted. It's ruining the game for me. I know there is no doubt an element of me being pissed off with our current form in there, but I was saying this even when we were still winning.
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 25,837 posts | 3789 
      Reply #245: Feb 13, 2021 04:38:14 pm
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,281 posts | 274 
      Reply #246: Feb 13, 2021 04:58:19 pm
      https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/56053541

Jürgen making the key point about VAR decisions that it depends which frame you pick as to whether you get an offside or not. This is why the "precision" of VAR for offside calls is bogus. The ball will be on the foot of the passer for several frames. (According to Jürgen, with this one they even actually picked a frame that was before Maddison touched the ball to get the offside.)
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,072 posts | 652 
      Reply #247: Feb 13, 2021 05:01:49 pm
      Where’s the resident VAR apologist these days?
      chats
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 25,096 posts | 1364 
      Reply #248: Feb 13, 2021 05:23:14 pm
      https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/56053541

Jürgen making the key point about VAR decisions that it depends which frame you pick as to whether you get an offside or not. This is why the "precision" of VAR for offside calls is bogus. The ball will be on the foot of the passer for several frames. (According to Jürgen, with this one they even actually picked a frame that was before Maddison touched the ball to get the offside.)

VAR will remain completely inept for offsides for as long as they keep pretending it's a solely objective decision. The one today can easily be made to look on or off depending on when you freeze the frame, where you take the lines from, how thick the lines are etc.

When it's that tight you go with the onfield call and get on with it. It's one that looked naturally offside and you can tell by Amartey's reaction that he went early as he was pleading that he hadn't interfered with play.

Not just the ones against us by the way - I think Son was given onside by the assistant in our game a couple of weeks ago when he was offside by a hair on his toe. If the assistant said that was on it should have stood.
      UncleBob
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 390 posts | 65 
      Reply #249: Feb 13, 2021 06:10:30 pm
      Your post has just reminded me of ex referee Jeff Winter, who wrote this is in his autobiography about his last game as a referee (which happened to be at Anfield).  :lmao:

“ In the end I played a little bit extra, waiting until play was at the Kop end, before sounding the final shrill blast - a bit like the Last Post. The fans behind the goal burst into spontaneous applause. It was longer and louder than normal, even for a big home win. Did they know it was my final visit? Was the applause for me? They are such knowledgeable football people, that it would not surprise me. ”

Ha haha..

It reminds me of what I did last year. I would go for a jog the same time everyone was outside clapping for the NHS. Made me feel like rocky balboa.

Quick Reply