Trending Topics

Next match: Porto v LFC [Champions League] Tue 28th Sep @ 8:00 pm
      Estadio do Dragao, Porto

Today is the 26th of September and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D6 L9

VAR has to go

Read 20954 times
      ORCHARD RED
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,491 posts | 1447 
      • 6 Times!
      Re: VAR has to go
      Reply #375: Jul 05, 2021 01:10:55 pm
      Var should stay, but with foreign officials to replace the inept English ones.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 34,556 posts | 3541 
      Reply #376: Jul 05, 2021 02:55:18 pm
      In the long term VAR has got to be a positive innovation, having seen some atrocious and obviously faulted refereeing decisions further scrutiny can only be an improvement.

The some you win some you lose maxim is appropriate when previously the ridiculous decisions at places like Old Twatford would be corrected and shut the screaming gobshites up.
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 457 posts | 37 
      Reply #377: Jul 05, 2021 10:20:34 pm
      VAR destroys the pure joy you feel after a goal because it makes you think ("does it holds, was it offside,..."). VAR was invented to correct gross errors, nothing more.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 963 posts | 453 
      Reply #378: Jul 05, 2021 10:23:56 pm
      Var should stay, but with foreign officials to replace the inept English ones.

Exactly. A good workman never blames his tools.
      GERNS
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,518 posts | 896 
      Reply #379: Jul 05, 2021 11:36:40 pm
      The var performance in the euros with foreign adjudicators has been fine. It’s embarrassing that the only ‘delayed’ var decisions were when the English operators were in action.

Says  it all really.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,238 posts | 2786 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #380: Jul 06, 2021 08:54:28 am
      Consistency is needed, rules refined and then stick to them, good VAR officials are needed too.

We need to stick with it but they need to improve their standard of work.
      PTU
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 458 posts | 102 
      Reply #381: Jul 06, 2021 09:26:54 am
      Agree with your whole post Clint, but this is really important for me. Just because someone is a good referee doesn't mean he (or she) will be a good VAR referee. It's a complete different job, so different qualities are needed. They should be trained specifically for it and be judged accordingly.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,238 posts | 2786 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #382: Jul 06, 2021 10:09:35 am
      Agree with your whole post Clint, but this is really important for me. Just because someone is a good referee doesn't mean he (or she) will be a good VAR referee. It's a complete different job, so different qualities are needed. They should be trained specifically for it and be judged accordingly.

Totally agree and we need excellent camera angles and people who knows how to use them.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,293 posts | 644 
      Reply #383: Jul 07, 2021 03:40:35 pm
      Quote from 0112358
      VAR destroys the pure joy you feel after a goal

So did the linesman's flag before VAR. Now after he puts it up, we can check whether he was right or not. 2 goals have already been given at the Euros, because they put the flag up and got it wrong.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 7,623 posts | 2125 
      Reply #384: Aug 08, 2021 08:08:35 am
      Have the Premier League announced any changes in the use of VAR this season?

My biggest thing would be to have ARs go ahead and raise the flag unless it is a total photo finish on an offside call, rather than wait through therest of the sequence, the "goal," the celebration, only to reverse it. I get it if we're talking hair's s breadth stuff, but otherwise would like to see them take more charge of their calls.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 33,373 posts | 5668 
      Reply #385: Aug 08, 2021 01:22:19 pm
      So did the linesman's flag before VAR. Now after he puts it up, we can check whether he was right or not. 2 goals have already been given at the Euros, because they put the flag up and got it wrong.

The current directives around offside will get someone injured soon.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,487 posts | 1924 
      Reply #386: Aug 08, 2021 01:41:29 pm
      The current directives around offside will get someone injured soon.

Yep
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,487 posts | 1924 
      Reply #387: Aug 08, 2021 01:42:14 pm

My biggest thing would be to have ARs go ahead and raise the flag unless it is a total photo finish on an offside call, rather than wait through therest of the sequence, the "goal," the celebration, only to reverse it. I get it if we're talking hair's s breadth stuff, but otherwise would like to see them take more charge of their calls.

Thicker lines for offsides so shouldn't be any toe nails offside and they are not going to get involved in contentious penalty calls apparently. So probably a return to the high bar for over turning decisions like the first season it was here. The type we gave away against Brighton for example.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,293 posts | 644 
      Reply #388: Aug 13, 2021 07:40:41 pm
      Quote from Robby The Z

My biggest thing would be to have ARs go ahead and raise the flag unless it is a total photo finish on an offside call, rather than wait through therest of the sequence, the "goal," the celebration, only to reverse it. I get it if we're talking hair's s breadth stuff.

As regards offside flags going up, you play to the whistle not the flag. Even if the flag goes up, it should be remembered that only the referee has the power to stop play. Offsides are rarely obvious to the human eye, and we've seen clearly obvious offsides live look clearly onside on replays, and vice versa. So in terms of applying the rules, I see little change from previous years.

Quote from fields of anny rd
      Thicker lines for offsides so shouldn't be any toe nails offside and they are not going to get involved in contentious penalty calls apparently. So probably a return to the high bar for over turning decisions like the first season it was here. The type we gave away against Brighton for example.

That will still be a penalty because it's a foul. Unfortunately it's both clear and obvious, and once it was spotted it had to be given.

We knew before VAR, that the forward never got the benefit of the doubt with tight offside calls, and we've seen definitive proof of it with VAR. But the offside line has to go somewhere, and we'll still be having the same debates as in previous years.

After it's successful use at the Olympics, it's now being brought into the remaining WCQ for Europe. Too late to change decisions such as in Serbia v Portugal, but better late than never.

As we now know that VAR is here to stay, as expected, maybe it's time to either close this thread or merge the two VAR threads together.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,137 posts | 582 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #389: Aug 13, 2021 07:54:56 pm
      Oh ffs I haven't missed this VAR bum licker during the Summer...
      GERNS
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,518 posts | 896 
      Reply #390: Aug 13, 2021 09:18:33 pm
      How many times....... Its not V.A.R., ITS THE MUPPETS OPERATING IT.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 33,373 posts | 5668 
      Reply #391: Aug 13, 2021 09:46:44 pm
      How many times....... Its not V.A.R., ITS THE MUPPETS OPERATING IT.

Is that to the same tune as "his name's not Keano, it's Robbie Keane?"

Quick Reply