Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

VAR has to go

Read 46289 times
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Re: VAR has to go
      Reply #23: Oct 17, 2020 11:08:57 pm

Ah, here we have fatkopite, presumably a non match goer who was previously in favour of VAR but now looks like a tit because it’s a load of sh*t.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #24: Oct 17, 2020 11:16:17 pm
      Ah, here we have fatkopite, presumably a non match goer who was previously in favour of VAR but now looks like a tit because it’s a load of sh*t.

I am and still am in favour of var, sat at games and with the modern world of technology you can see in seconds that a decision that has happened in front of you was wrong. It isn't acceptable with such technology at your fingertips that it isn't used, whether you are watching at home or in the ground it doesn't matter. The problem is especially in this country the officials aren't fit to do their job, whether it's through incompetence or a desire to get rid of it.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #25: Oct 17, 2020 11:30:45 pm
      I am and still am in favour of var, sat at games and with the modern world of technology you can see in seconds that a decision that has happened in front of you was wrong. It isn't acceptable with such technology at your fingertips that it isn't used, whether you are watching at home or in the ground it doesn't matter. The problem is especially in this country the officials aren't fit to do their job, whether it's through incompetence or a desire to get rid of it.

Disagree.

People go the match and watch a game of football. They go the pub afterwards and part of the post match debate is the referee performance. ‘F**k me the ref was sh*te today’ or even the ref had a good game.  It’s been that way for 200 years.

Meanwhile the fan sitting at home watches on sky. The referee has made a huge blunder and those fans can see the replay. They kick off and moan all over social media. ‘The officials in this country are shocking, something needs to be done about it’ and so on and so on. When the reality is, the officials were always fairly god damn decent. Yes they made mistakes from time to time but in general they got most things right.

Var was brought in after huge campaigns for it - But it should never have been brought into the game. Football is the best sport in the world for many reasons but the controversy, the pace of the game, human error are all reasons why.

Since VAR has been in the game, I don’t know one match goer who’s in favour of it. It’s F***ing terrible. You hear the moans around the ground even before the decision has been made by var and that’s before we know whether it will go in our favour or not!

It’s sh*te and needs binning. Ruined the F***ing game that was perfectly fine how it was.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #26: Oct 17, 2020 11:38:06 pm
      Disagree.

People go the match and watch a game of football. They go the pub afterwards and part of the post match debate is the referee performance. ‘F**k me the ref was sh*te today’ or even the ref had a good game.  It’s been that way for 200 years.

Meanwhile the fan sitting at home watches on sky. The referee has made a huge blunder and those fans can see the replay. They kick off and moan all over social media. ‘The officials in this country are shocking, something needs to be done about it’ and so on and so on. When the reality is, the officials were always fairly god damn decent. Yes they made mistakes from time to time but in general they got most things right.

Var was brought in after huge campaigns for it - But it should never have been brought into the game. Football is the best sport in the world for many reasons but the controversy, the pace of the game, human error are all reasons why.

Since VAR has been in the game, I don’t know one match goer who’s in favour of it. It’s f**king terrible. You hear the moans around the ground even before the decision has been made by var and that’s before we know whether it will go in our favour or not!

It’s sh*te and needs binning. Ruined the f**king game that was perfectly fine how it was.

I have heard and seen people at games watching replays of incidents and bemoaning the fact they can see something was wrong
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #27: Oct 17, 2020 11:44:08 pm
      Disagree.

Since VAR has been in the game, I don’t know one match goer who’s in favour of it. It’s f**king terrible. You hear the moans around the ground even before the decision has been made by var and that’s before we know whether it will go in our favour or not!

It’s sh*te and needs binning. Ruined the f**king game that was perfectly fine how it was.

VAR is a necessity now as the game is getting increasingly quicker and officials can no longer be relied on to get enough decisions correct due to human error which is unavoidable.

The fact is that with the use of VAR two human errors were made today which absolutely should not happen when the technology is available to always get the decision correct.

The issue is not the VAR system it is unqualified humans operating it.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #28: Oct 17, 2020 11:50:01 pm
      VAR is a necessity now as the game is getting increasingly quicker and officials can no longer be relied on to get enough decisions correct due to human error which is unavoidable.

The fact is that with the use of VAR two human errors were made today which absolutely should not happen when the technology is available to always get the decision correct.

Yes and as I said they could not possible make an accurate call within the time frame they had so it had to be a guess or a decision born out of prejudice. They should've allowed the goal to stand as it was impossible to decide if Mane was NOT level with the defender.

If it was a horse race it would be called a dead heat.
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #29: Oct 17, 2020 11:52:33 pm
      Maybe after closer images are available they can say Mane was off by a tiny fraction but that is irrelevant as they decide with what images they have at the time, not what can be developed at a later time.

VAR is still good for the game but they have to refine it.If it can't be proved if a player is off then the benefit must go to the attacking player. They have in effect torn up the offside rule in that...if your level your onside. That's part of the offside rule has been discarded.
      « Last Edit: Oct 18, 2020 12:02:55 am by Harrisimo »
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #30: Oct 17, 2020 11:53:01 pm
      Yes and as I said they could not possible make an accurate call within the time frame they had so it had to be a guess or a decision born out of prejudice. They should've allowed the goal to stand as it was impossible to decide if Mane was NOT level with the defender.

If it was a horse race it would be called a dead heat.

Exactly. If in doubt as it's too close to call the benefit should always go to the attacking team and goal stand.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #31: Oct 18, 2020 03:06:56 am

I see people say this all the time but I disagree, again.

The issue IS var. All this drawing lines along a strikers nose to see if it’s past a defenders heel and then asking somebody in a room to make a decision is just nonsense.

The standard of officiating has also dropped immensely because the referees, linesmen and fourth officials all hide behind var now and let the technology make the decision.

Today was a perfect example. First of all, VVD would never have been given offside and secondly, I’m 99.9% certain that had VAR not been in the game then the referee or linesman would have sent Pickford off for that today, but instead they hid behind the technology and passed the book to somebody else.

The referees in the modern game aren’t like what they were 40 years ago. They all have to pass pretty tough fitness tests to prove they can keep up with the game.

I think a referee and two linesmen will perfectly suffice but if we’re moving with the times and technology has to come into the game then fine, but it should be the referee having the option to see a pitch side monitor and nothing else.

There should be ONE referee. ONE person who makes the decisions. So var bloody IS the problem. It’s destroyed the game look how sh*te it is now.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #32: Oct 18, 2020 06:25:04 am
      I see people say this all the time but I disagree, again.

The issue IS var. All this drawing lines along a strikers nose to see if it’s past a defenders heel and then asking somebody in a room to make a decision is just nonsense.

The standard of officiating has also dropped immensely because the referees, linesmen and fourth officials all hide behind var now and let the technology make the decision.

Today was a perfect example. First of all, VVD would never have been given offside and secondly, I’m 99.9% certain that had VAR not been in the game then the referee or linesman would have sent Pickford off for that today, but instead they hid behind the technology and passed the book to somebody else.

The referees in the modern game aren’t like what they were 40 years ago. They all have to pass pretty tough fitness tests to prove they can keep up with the game.

I think a referee and two linesmen will perfectly suffice but if we’re moving with the times and technology has to come into the game then fine, but it should be the referee having the option to see a pitch side monitor and nothing else.

There should be ONE referee. ONE person who makes the decisions. So var bloody IS the problem. It’s destroyed the game look how sh*te it is now.

Not for binning it but you are spot on that it changes how referees do their job. One example is this business of linesmen not raising the flag when everybody and their brother can see if it is offside, all because their might need to be a review.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #33: Oct 18, 2020 10:39:30 am
      We benefited from it against Leeds, we were screwed by it yesterday. Common theme with it this season is that it's been wrong most if the time.
      I thought last season was about bedding it in, but its actually getting worse!
      Needs binned right away.
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #34: Oct 18, 2020 01:12:03 pm
      David Coote was on VAR duty for the game. He has made a mess of things a few times. From Nottingham.

All these refs have to give info regarding their upbringing, who they grew up supporting etc. when they are appointed. It's known that yesterday's ref Michael Oliver is a Newcastle fan. Coote's team preference is unknown according to the Echo's survey.

I'd like to think Coote made genuine errors.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #35: Oct 18, 2020 02:19:21 pm
      VAR is not the problem.

The way the Premier League use it is the problem.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #36: Oct 18, 2020 02:59:21 pm
      Disagree.

I think VAR is needed in the modern game but only if it is used properly,  at the moment it clearly isn't because the game is being run by those who have absolutely no experience of actually playing the game,  to them its all rules & regulations and no common sense whatsoever,
      The system itself is ok, not much different from other sports,  rugby union a perfect example,  they use a TMO, and is linked to the ref & assistants,
      How they work it is perfect, and come to the fairest decision every time, incidents/close calls/ foul play are shown on the huge screens so fans know immediately what is happening,  then between the refs and the TMO decide what the fairest course of action is,  it takes no more than a couple of minutes, and they move on, it's so simple,  so why the F**k is that not possible in football,  it is, but the powers at be want total control and are hell bent in doing it their way and f***in it up as usual,
      Those f***in idiots at Stockley park have never kicked a ball in anger, they are clueless to what actually happens on a football pitch,  put a ex professional footballer and a ex referee in there as advisors at the very least, imo we don't need the clueless Stockley park Tossers, just follow the example of Rugby , simples !!

YNWA
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #37: Oct 18, 2020 03:11:25 pm
      VAR is only as good as the people using it and interpreting the laws.
      Think it can be a good thing, but not while it's being used by fucktards.
      There have been lots of woeful mistakes already and nothing seems to have been done about it.
      This isn't f**king rocket science, we're not sending someone to the f**king moon here - there's a f**king line and a few rules to apply.
      Mind boggling that heads haven't been knocked together months ago to sort it out, unbelievable really give the popularity of the PL, the money involved etc.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #38: Oct 18, 2020 03:20:43 pm
      VAR in a vaccum is a great tool, but the way it is being used is crushing the spirit of the game as well as slowing it down to MLB levels.

One of the things about the Pickford play that frustrates me is that in the past we have seen cases where a corner kick is delayed because they are "checking for possible red card", but yet a player gets tackled and injured and they don't check.

It should be used for clear and obvious errors and let the game flow.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #39: Oct 18, 2020 06:15:18 pm
      I understand that VAR is only as good as the people who are employed to use it but for me it can F**k right off call me old school but I really did prefer the game without it.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #40: Oct 18, 2020 10:17:38 pm
      It's here to stay, no chance they getting rid of it.

They just need to iron all the sh*t out and make sure John Moss, Martin Atkinson and this c**t David Coote, are never F***ing allowed to be the VAR  c**t on matchdays ever again!
      Dragonmark
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 50 posts | 28 
      Reply #41: Oct 19, 2020 02:57:30 am
      Pitchside monitors is as far as reviewing should go. For major decisions (red cards, diving in the box, clear handball) the ref should run to the monitor and review his own calls. Let him do his damn job and not some other bum in the stands. Mexican league did this to perfection, this can work, and is FAR less complicated than VAR.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #42: Oct 19, 2020 09:30:03 am
      I'm still in favour of it in principle but the way the Premier League are choosing to use it is an absolute disgrace.

AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #43: Oct 19, 2020 12:38:34 pm
      Pitchside monitors is as far as reviewing should go. For major decisions (red cards, diving in the box, clear handball) the ref should run to the monitor and review his own calls. Let him do his damn job and not some other bum in the stands. Mexican league did this to perfection, this can work, and is FAR less complicated than VAR.

Exactly!

The ref can watch the screen and request replays and stills but it’s his decision, and his only, not some failed ref sat in a room miles away.

Or it needs to be a individual assessor, not mates of the ref, who are held accountable and must explain their decisions if they over rule the on pitch ref.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #44: Oct 19, 2020 01:57:53 pm
      Quote from HamannsTheMan
      Only people in favour of VAR still are none match goers. The ones who want perfection and moan when they can see the replays when the officials make a mistake. They’re the ones who helped campaign for it.

The match goer never wanted it. Human error is part of the game, if anything it makes it more exciting and in general the decisions balance themselves out, some you get some you don't. Var has always been a shambles but even more so when you’re at the ground. It’s a F***ing joke.

Imagine being in that away end then and that moment is taken away from you all because manes fingernail was offside. It’s pathetic.

None of us are "matchgoers" atm, and we shouldn't be segregating our fanbase by matchgoers, non matchgoers, or any other criteria. Whether you are or not, whether there is VAR or not, every goal scored is provisional until play restarts. It has always been that.

I can accept any decision once it is correct. So I wanted to see why Mane was deemed offside before posting this. Eventually, we see that the black line that corresponds to the red broken line drawn for Mane, appears beyond the yellow line of the defender's foot. Unfortunately, that means it's offside. It's millimetres, but millimetres matter when there's a EPL title at stake. We've had those very tight VAR decisions go our way before, so even though I'm upset it's gone against me this time, I would be a total hypocrite to complain about it now. We have got off relatively lightly with VAR calls compared to other clubs.

I'm more upset that crap defending threw away 2 leads and 2 points. Why did Hendo not intercept the through ball that led to the equaliser, and why did our defenders allow their players to easily outjump them to equalise both times. That's what should be the talking point. That definitely has to go. If they don't allow that to happen, we have 3 points and the last minute incident doesn't matter. Whoever is at centre back has to get to the ball first over the coming months, not stand there watching his opponent have free headers every week.

Without VAR, Chelsea wouldn't have got the penalty to help take us over the finishing line last season, and they would have had 11 men to play against us recently. So I won't say it should be binned. We need it, it is doing a great job the vast majority of the time and thankfully, it is not going anywhere.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #45: Oct 19, 2020 02:23:14 pm
      Still think they should just make it like this....managers get 2 challenges per game. If they want a play looked at, they tell the 4th official (within a reasonable amount of time from when the play happens) and the match ref comes over and looks at the pitch side monitor at the play. If he sees that the video shows a mistake was made, then he changes the call. So at most that's 4 stoppages per game and leave it up to the managers to decide when to use them. Once they are out of challenges, if the worst call of the day is made, too bad, it stands. You can't tell me that if Oliver had watched that challenge over on a monitor by the pitch he wouldn't have come over and sent off Pickford.

Hell, I've seen them give deference to the linesman before and change their minds due to what they see...so why can't they change their minds based on what they see on a monitor?

Goal line tech is fine, and I'd be they are working on tech to automatically determine offside. Can't imagine it should be that hard with sensors in the ball, and something on each player. Determine where everyone is at all times relative to the ball and have a big light that goes off when someone's offside.

Quick Reply