Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

VAR has to go

Read 46302 times
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Re: VAR has to go
      Reply #46: Oct 19, 2020 06:48:06 pm
      Still think they should just make it like this....managers get 2 challenges per game. If they want a play looked at, they tell the 4th official (within a reasonable amount of time from when the play happens) and the match ref comes over and looks at the pitch side monitor at the play. If he sees that the video shows a mistake was made, then he changes the call. So at most that's 4 stoppages per game and leave it up to the managers to decide when to use them. Once they are out of challenges, if the worst call of the day is made, too bad, it stands. You can't tell me that if Oliver had watched that challenge over on a monitor by the pitch he wouldn't have come over and sent off Pickford.

Hell, I've seen them give deference to the linesman before and change their minds due to what they see...so why can't they change their minds based on what they see on a monitor?

Goal line tech is fine, and I'd be they are working on tech to automatically determine offside. Can't imagine it should be that hard with sensors in the ball, and something on each player. Determine where everyone is at all times relative to the ball and have a big light that goes off when someone's offside.

It's a good idea, has been mooted a few time. I would just go with one challenge for each team, have 4 could take away the spontaneity of the game. If VAR has the power through technology then the clubs involved, who stand to lose millions, should have some say as well. But only on penalties and red cards. Offsides do not come under the clear and obvious error rule.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #47: Oct 19, 2020 07:23:21 pm

None of us are "matchgoers" atm, and we shouldn't be segregating our fanbase by matchgoers, non matchgoers, or any other criteria. Whether you are or not, whether there is VAR or not, every goal scored is provisional until play restarts. It has always been that.

I can accept any decision once it is correct. So I wanted to see why Mane was deemed offside before posting this. Eventually, we see that the black line that corresponds to the red broken line drawn for Mane, appears beyond the yellow line of the defender's foot. Unfortunately, that means it's offside. It's millimetres, but millimetres matter when there's a EPL title at stake. We've had those very tight VAR decisions go our way before, so even though I'm upset it's gone against me this time, I would be a total hypocrite to complain about it now. We have got off relatively lightly with VAR calls compared to other clubs.

I'm more upset that crap defending threw away 2 leads and 2 points. Why did Hendo not intercept the through ball that led to the equaliser, and why did our defenders allow their players to easily outjump them to equalise both times. That's what should be the talking point. That definitely has to go. If they don't allow that to happen, we have 3 points and the last minute incident doesn't matter. Whoever is at centre back has to get to the ball first over the coming months, not stand there watching his opponent have free headers every week.

Without VAR, Chelsea wouldn't have got the penalty to help take us over the finishing line last season, and they would have had 11 men to play against us recently. So I won't say it should be binned. We need it, it is doing a great job the vast majority of the time and thankfully, it is not going anywhere.

You’re unbelievable, sticking up for that sh*te. Never offside. For a start they can just pause it at any frame they want and make their judgement on that. VVD wasn’t off and what about how the challenge on VVD was reviewed by your precious system and yet Pickford stayed on the pitch?

The way VAR is used in the prem is an absolute joke.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #48: Oct 19, 2020 08:09:24 pm
      I'm not sticking up for that at all, I'm explaining what happened. If you don't accept it or you would rather believe the FA is out to get us, that's up to you. I don't know about you, but I saw a zoom of the frame today, and it clearly shows why the decision was made. Therefore I can't complain, or invent conspiracy theories. These decisions must be correct, and if it comes down to millimetres, then that's the way it has to be. On/Offside is a factual decision.

We're lucky that we've only had 3 or 4 decisions overturned against us since it began. Other clubs have had 10-15.

Quote from Harrisimo
      It's a good idea, has been mooted a few time. I would just go with one challenge for each team, have 4 could take away the spontaneity of the game. If VAR has the power through technology then the clubs involved, who stand to lose millions, should have some say as well. But only on penalties and red cards. Offsides do not come under the clear and obvious error rule.

You're now asking managers to control the way the game is officiated, rather than referees. So we're out of reviews by injury time, and the ref is told a goal is offside. We can't do anything about it either. That doesn't mean we should use reviews to try and get an opponent sent off. Without fans, it's not a good look. With fans, you risk crowd trouble.

The original VVD decision was given offside by the linesman. If it was overturned, then a penalty would have been given. Probably, but not automatically a red card for it. Referees are reluctant to send off goalkeepers for conceding penalties, as it means a much longer than normal break in play.

I hate the phrase "clear and obvious". I hate it more when people say offside is "clear and obvious". Offside calls are based on "zero tolerance". It's much easier to understand.

VAR is a refereeing aid, not a team tactic to use and influence the game like any other. It should stay that way.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #49: Oct 19, 2020 10:05:47 pm
      Another stupid offside disallowed goal in that Wolves match then.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #50: Oct 20, 2020 01:39:02 am
      people really thought VAR would stop referees from "getting things wrong" or outright fixing games - as if referees individually fixed games to begin with. the system is now in place but fixes happen anyway - they can do whatever they want. they can show us red and blue lines and we can see someone is onside but they can say it's offside anyway and they don't have to explain anything. we will keep buying. they have billions douped. we're F***ing doomed.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #51: Oct 20, 2020 10:22:03 am

None of us are "matchgoers" atm, and we shouldn't be segregating our fanbase by matchgoers, non matchgoers, or any other criteria. Whether you are or not, whether there is VAR or not, every goal scored is provisional until play restarts. It has always been that.

I can accept any decision once it is correct. So I wanted to see why Mane was deemed offside before posting this. Eventually, we see that the black line that corresponds to the red broken line drawn for Mane, appears beyond the yellow line of the defender's foot. Unfortunately, that means it's offside. It's millimetres, but millimetres matter when there's a EPL title at stake. We've had those very tight VAR decisions go our way before, so even though I'm upset it's gone against me this time, I would be a total hypocrite to complain about it now. We have got off relatively lightly with VAR calls compared to other clubs.

I'm more upset that crap defending threw away 2 leads and 2 points. Why did Hendo not intercept the through ball that led to the equaliser, and why did our defenders allow their players to easily outjump them to equalise both times. That's what should be the talking point. That definitely has to go. If they don't allow that to happen, we have 3 points and the last minute incident doesn't matter. Whoever is at centre back has to get to the ball first over the coming months, not stand there watching his opponent have free headers every week.

Without VAR, Chelsea wouldn't have got the penalty to help take us over the finishing line last season, and they would have had 11 men to play against us recently. So I won't say it should be binned. We need it, it is doing a great job the vast majority of the time and thankfully, it is not going anywhere.

I don’t know why people get their knickers in a twist because they don’t go to the match. My post didn’t mean to offend those people. But all you did was go and prove what I said anyway.

No, nobody goes the match at the minute, but VAR was brought in when people did, so I’m not sure what your point is.

My point is that had a survey been done amongst season ticket holders, not just at our club but up and down the country, then I’m pretty certain a high percentage would have been against VAR. I’m even more certain now that if one was conducted then the results would be above 90% against.

Before VAR was introduced, if you had done a survey amongst fans up and down the country who don’t go to the match and watch from home then I think most would have been in favour of VAR. If you asked them now, I think the numbers would have dropped though.

I obviously don’t have any numbers or facts to support this, it’s just my opinion from what I’ve experienced or seen myself.

You say in your post that you want perfection basically - which is what my original post was all about. Before VAR came in, this was huge across social media. Any decision a referee got wrong was highlighted and spoken about everywhere. Not just on social media, the likes of carragher and neville would go in on it on MNF too. It became a big thing and there was pressure to bring technology into the game. This came from non match goers who are desperate for every decision to be factual and correct like yourself.

Whereas people who go the match accept human error whether they go for you or against you, they just want the game to flow.

On your last point, cant actually believe you think VAR has been a great tool so far and that is has been used superbly. It’s been a shambles from day one and there are talking points in several games, every single god damn week.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #52: Oct 20, 2020 08:39:36 pm
      Tell you what, watching this Utd game against Paris... it’s shocking how much better foreign refs are compared to ours, it’s not even funny, the difference in quality is scary.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #53: Oct 20, 2020 10:10:14 pm
      David Coote was on VAR duty for the game. He has made a mess of things a few times. From Nottingham.

All these refs have to give info regarding their upbringing, who they grew up supporting etc. when they are appointed. It's known that yesterday's ref Michael Oliver is a Newcastle fan. Coote's team preference is unknown according to the Echo's survey.

I'd like to think Coote made genuine errors.

My mate is a ref just been promoted to do the conference and EPL u23s. Hes down as being a Bury fan.

Hes one happy man tonight after the game in Paris let's put it that way.
      Davbro
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 98 posts | 22 
      Reply #54: Oct 20, 2020 10:10:43 pm
      Tell you what, watching this Utd game against Paris... it’s shocking how much better foreign refs are compared to ours, it’s not even funny, the difference in quality is scary.

What would you say the difference is? Could it be arrogance of British referees? Fear of getting it wrong and getting lambasted by the media? I mean before VAR I used to think continental referees used to blow the whistle too much but now like you, I think they are more decisive and just...... well better I suppose.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #55: Oct 20, 2020 10:34:14 pm
      What would you say the difference is? Could it be arrogance of British referees? Fear of getting it wrong and getting lambasted by the media? I mean before VAR I used to think continental referees used to blow the whistle too much but now like you, I think they are more decisive and just...... well better I suppose.

Pro refs in Premier league earn a basic of £42k topped up with match fee's they can make over £70k. I don't think it's enough. Given the pressure and resposibility they should be on double that plus fee's.

Been said before but managers should have one challenge on penalties and red cards per game. That might eliminate a lot of aggro from managers after the game and reduce pressure on refs.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #56: Oct 20, 2020 10:50:28 pm
      people really thought VAR would stop referees from "getting things wrong" or outright fixing games - as if referees individually fixed games to begin with. the system is now in place but fixes happen anyway - they can do whatever they want. they can show us red and blue lines and we can see someone is onside but they can say it's offside anyway and they don't have to explain anything. we will keep buying. they have billions douped. we're f**king doomed.

Come on Del boy yer don't think there is  match fixing going on. The game isn't 100% clean, maybe a player can be got at.But not an entire team. A ref couldn't guarantee a fix, they have power but not the power to force or guarantee a result.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #57: Oct 21, 2020 12:11:15 am
      I think ours are actually too sensitive and don’t want to accept they are terrible so ignore it all so their feelings don’t get hurt... that ref today in the Utd game did not give one single F**k, he knew his decisions and stuck to them and had minimal help from VAR, in fact I only heard the word VAR like once or twice, it was refreshing.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #58: Oct 21, 2020 06:04:47 am
      I think ours are actually too sensitive and don’t want to accept they are terrible so ignore it all so their feelings don’t get hurt... that ref today in the Utd game did not give one single f**k, he knew his decisions and stuck to them and had minimal help from VAR, in fact I only heard the word VAR like once or twice, it was refreshing.

In the Rennes Krasnodar Champions League match today a challenge was made in the area and a player was upended. Play continued for about 10 seconds and the referee blew his whistle, pointed to his earpiece and then to the spot. Replay showed it was deffo a pen. No drama, no conversation. Greek center ref and Italian VAR. It CAN be made to work right, you just need the right people.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #59: Oct 21, 2020 07:01:52 am
      The gulf in quality is massive and it’s been that way for quite some time,wouldn’t mind swapping out some of our ‘so called refs ‘with some of there’s for a season.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #60: Oct 21, 2020 11:56:16 am
      Quote from HamannsTheMan
      My point is that had a survey been done amongst season ticket holders, not just at our club but up and down the country, then I’m pretty certain a high percentage would have been against VAR. I’m even more certain now that if one was conducted then the results would be above 90% against.

Before VAR was introduced, if you had done a survey amongst fans up and down the country who don’t go to the match and watch from home then I think most would have been in favour of VAR. If you asked them now, I think the numbers would have dropped though.

I obviously don’t have any numbers or facts to support this, it’s just my opinion from what I’ve experienced or seen myself.

You say in your post that you want perfection basically - which is what my original post was all about. Before VAR came in, this was huge across social media. Any decision a referee got wrong was highlighted and spoken about everywhere. Not just on social media, the likes of carragher and neville would go in on it on MNF too. It became a big thing and there was pressure to bring technology into the game. This came from non match goers who are desperate for every decision to be factual and correct like yourself.

Whereas people who go the match accept human error whether they go for you or against you, they just want the game to flow.

On your last point, cant actually believe you think VAR has been a great tool so far and that is has been used superbly. It’s been a shambles from day one and there are talking points in several games, every single god damn week.

I'm not looking for perfection. VAR never guaranteed perfection. What I look for is accuracy. If all of the ball is 1mm over the goalline, a goal is scored. If it's 10cm short, it's not a goal. We all accept that. If a part of the player is found 1mm over the defensive line, they are offside. If he is level with the defensive line, his goal stands. We all have to accept that, that's the law. It's not there for show, it's there for a reason.

I've seen the surveys. Most people support VAR in some form, even though they want it to change. But VAR doesn't change, it's up to IFAB to make the changes, then the VAR will apply whatever that change is. Under the laws last year, VVD would have won a penalty, and Mane would be onside. Now with the change in the law, both are offside. However hard it is to take, and in this case it is very hard, take it we must. I just got on with the rest of the game. While I'm one of it's biggest advocates, the knee jerk thread that was set up here minutes after the game, has not got universal support from the posters here, let alone fans in general. So assuming that all "matchgoer" and "non matchgoer" fans, share the same opinion as you think is wrong.

We've seen the reaction to the challenge on VVD, when human error happens. But the laws apply to all teams equally. If you handle the ball in the box it will be spotted. If you dive in the box you will get booked, not a penalty. If you move off your line to save a penalty, it will be retaken. If you are in an offside position, you will be caught and your goal will be disallowed. Winning the league brings in 150mn quid of prize money, getting relegated means you have to settle for parachute payments. So as in most major sports, we now have the resources to apply the laws of the game, and they are been used. This is not a Sunday League kickabout, there are serious prizes at stake, and human error is not good enough, decisions must be what they should be. 
      Davbro
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 98 posts | 22 
      Reply #61: Oct 21, 2020 12:08:06 pm
      I think ours are actually too sensitive and don’t want to accept they are terrible so ignore it all so their feelings don’t get hurt... that ref today in the Utd game did not give one single f**k, he knew his decisions and stuck to them and had minimal help from VAR, in fact I only heard the word VAR like once or twice, it was refreshing.

Do you think that could also be a reason why British referees don't seem to get the big Euro and World cup games. Last big game I remember a Bristish ref officiating was the world cup final between Spain and Netherlands. I'm too lazy to check the stats tbh but just don't remember seeing it too often. If it is the case  then what is going on at Referee university? Should we be sending them away on a gap year?
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #62: Oct 21, 2020 01:07:38 pm
      Do you think that could also be a reason why British referees don't seem to get the big Euro and World cup games. Last big game I remember a Bristish ref officiating was the world cup final between Spain and Netherlands. I'm too lazy to check the stats tbh but just don't remember seeing it too often. If it is the case  then what is going on at Referee university? Should we be sending them away on a gap year?
      I think it’s just a case of our culture sometimes now, we live in a world were we think we are the dogs bollocks and if anyone says otherwise, it’s ignored, we’d rather just believe we are great and perfect, and you don’t see it more than in refs... like I said, it’s stems from insecurity, and those refs are some extremely insecure humans, who probably love the attention they make to be honest, they couldn’t do it as players so they’ll get the headlines as refs, bad or good.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #63: Oct 24, 2020 11:58:57 pm
      Quote from Harrisimo
      David Coote was on VAR duty for the game. He has made a mess of things a few times. From Nottingham.

All these refs have to give info regarding their upbringing, who they grew up supporting etc. when they are appointed. It's known that yesterday's ref Michael Oliver is a Newcastle fan. Coote's team preference is unknown according to the Echo's survey.

I'd like to think Coote made genuine errors.

You are a cricket fan, I believe. If that's the case, I'm sure you're aware of how much scrutiny and detail with technology the third umpire goes into, dealing with reviews for no balls, lbw infra red/snicko technology, run outs, and debatable catches. They have to make black and white decisions, and surprise surprise everyone accepts whatever his decision is. Players, coaches, fans, media. In some of the more complicated calls, 5 minute long reviews to make decisions, are not uncommon.

Our version of that is onside and offside, and sometimes it comes down to millimetres, so the lines have to be drawn up. As in cricket and other sports, whatever the VAR decision is should be instantly accepted as correct, not be taken as corruption. These are professional referees, many with 15-20 years experience at the top level. They're there to apply the laws of the game as they stand, not as you want them to be. All their conversations with the ref on the field are recorded, and assessed after the game. All the checks done and decisions taken are based on the video footage. You may not agree with their decision, but there's zero possibility of them making it based on upbringing or prejudice, or what part of the country the city is in. Before VAR, a ref on the field could give any decision he wanted about any incident, and give any reason to justify it, true or false. He no longer has that option.

Gutted as I was with the decisions against us last week, especially the disallowed goal, I have seen the evidence why they were made, so I can live with it. I always said I would accept any decision against me if it was correct. That hasn't changed. It may only have been millimetres, but millimetres matter when the prizes are handed out at the end of the season.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #64: Oct 25, 2020 12:54:04 am
      That was a F***ing joke today and this is becoming more farcical every time a game is payed!
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #65: Oct 25, 2020 12:59:53 am
      That was a f**king joke today and this is becoming more farcical every time a game is payed!
      I didn’t budge when either goals went in because I just assumed there’d be an offside in the build up, get it gone

And don’t get me started on what var did for their penalty  :f_steam:
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #66: Oct 25, 2020 01:08:17 am
      I didn’t budge when either goals went in because I just assumed there’d be an offside in the build up, get it gone

And don’t get me started on what var did for their penalty  :f_steam:

I hear ya was the same.

When Mo's disallowed goal went in, I didn't even celebrate but I was still in awe!! Just F***ing WOW!!!!
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #67: Oct 25, 2020 01:14:47 am
      I hear ya was the same.

When Mo's disallowed goal went in, I didn't even celebrate but I was still in awe!! Just f**king WOW!!!!
      That was some touch and finish, brilliant
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #68: Oct 25, 2020 03:25:16 am
      The technology is fine, it’s just the muppets making the decisions. Offside should flag anything clear that’s been missed (e.g. Mo’s goal today). Anything dubious or inline should be based on ref/linesman’s real time decision. As for the rest of the stupid decisions, it should just be another tool for the ref. Anything contentious mandate going over to the screen or pull an iPad out his jacksie to review the replay, make a call and move on. Then everything is still on his head, as it always used to be.

Quick Reply